Summer Bod

• 2 posts
    February 6, 2012 10:22 AM PST
    Cut out ALL the sugar & most of the flour - Walk more - Engage in activities that please YOU, not ones that somebody told you are good for you - and - LET YOUR WEIGHT WORRY ABOUT ITSELF

Most of the "good for your" exercises eventually grind you up. - Used to be a serious, 5 miles in the morning, 12 on Saturday kind of runner. We thought we were making ourselves bulletproof..
    Result(s): = 2 of my running buddies dead, one younger than me, one with an artificial knee & morbidly overweight. I quit when the doctor suggested an artificial knee for me. Stopped eating carbs, started doing a lot of calisthenics, walking more
  • February 6, 2012 11:24 PM PST
    Lucky as to the girlscout delema , I just toss em a five spot and tell them to keep the cookies , it's worth it just to see the looks on the mothers faces wondering what my angle is .

truth is I just don't have it in me to turn away any kid selling anything , the worst is the freaking cubscout popcorn tins , 20$ for something that tastes like shit and you can't give away afterwards .
    • 1 posts
    February 14, 2012 12:49 PM PST
    this post needs b4 and after pics...preferably with bikini shots....love handles and no love handles....
    • 1516 posts
    February 14, 2012 1:27 PM PST
    Ok, here we go again, lets see what I can do this year. Have to get rid of the same 20 again to start with.. oh well, I can do anything! arg
    • 5420 posts
    April 3, 2012 1:23 AM PDT
    Well things were going along pretty well and I had lost about 9 pounds - until the past few weeks. Seems the old eating habits are coming back and the trips to the gym are getting less frequent. But I ain't gonna let it happen - gonna get back on track TODAY!
  • April 3, 2012 1:47 AM PDT
    geezzzz I have struggled with my weight since I got sober in '07 (I have a sweet tooth) BUT I am down to being within 15lbs of where I would like to be and I think roller blading and gym time might do the trick. At 50 and not having exercised in YEARS (other then walking and occassional roller blading) I am NOT toned!not a pretty sight lol I am about to be an empty nester (in 2 weeks) so I think I know what I can do to fill my spare time...
  • April 3, 2012 4:53 AM PDT
    Hello everybody: I am shy of 6ft, weigh 175-180 lbs and currently in a size 10. I would to lose 10-15 lbs and put this weight into my "breast" area. My husband wont buy me boobs. Does anybody have any ideas to help me ?
  • April 3, 2012 5:33 AM PDT
    mmmmm i could lose 20 lbs myself ! i lost 5 so far let ya know how much i lose in a week! i guess no more pie huh?  idamae
  • April 3, 2012 5:51 AM PDT
    My friends think I'm trivial when I mention I need to drop 5 lbs. What they don't realize is 5 lbs is a lot of wieght on a 5'3" frame. When my pants start getting too tight I cut out my favorite snacks like soda, donuts, chips (yummy) and candy. I thought when I quit drinking 12 years ago the wieght would just fall off. Took 3 years to loose the "beer belly". But the wieght is only a side line to my biggest challenge which is upper body strength. There's times (not lately) when I do 250 sit ups and 200 push ups every morning. (Mon-Fri) Haven't since my throttle stuck in my race car and I took a little trip to the emergency room. Can't seem to commit myself. However my husband did drive up with a Bow Flex in the back of his truck last night so maybe, just maybe I can convince myself to get back into shape. And if I work out regularly I can have the snacks I like.
    • 395 posts
    April 3, 2012 5:54 AM PDT
    well ladies and gentlemen....bad news is there is no such thing as "spot" removal for losing weight...when it comes off, it comes off of everywhere, you can't pick and chose what goes first...stomach area is usually the last to tone because of our genetics..this is the "survival" area...the body stores fat here in case you are in a survival mode and then your body will take its energy from this area....to correctly remove the weight...and you ladies are gonna hate me for this...it has to be done slowly...pills do not work...they only remove water which you gain back soon as you drink some more water...it its on tv promising a quick fix...save your money...you have to change your diet, keep a food journal..and get off your ass...need any more advice just ask...been a fitness buff for the past 15 years.......i have tips..but won't bore the whole class with them,lol......good luck!!!!
  • April 3, 2012 6:56 AM PDT
    Damn Lola I hate when that happens!! You mean that I actually have to exert some kinda physical energy? lol
    Ya know whats funny is that ONCE I actually GET started its like a hook that pulls me in and it becomes easier & easier (the desire) to do the work out! Its a that GETTIN started part thats tough to get past...
    • 1780 posts
    April 3, 2012 8:40 PM PDT
    HwyHoney wrote...
    Hello everybody: I am shy of 6ft, weigh 175-180 lbs and currently in a size 10. I would to lose 10-15 lbs and put this weight into my "breast" area. My husband wont buy me boobs. Does anybody have any ideas to help me ?

I guess you could do what the girls did in High School....stuff your bra full of toliet paper.........of course if those two commets come out while your riding......well you get the picture. Tell that cheep Husband of yours to pony up and get ya some boobs for crying out loud. Trust me it will be the best bucks he will have spent. Hope he likes spand-X

Dragon 

• April 6, 2012 12:59 AM PDT
    well ladies and gentlemen....bad news is there is no such thing as "spot" removal for losing weight...when it comes off, it comes off of everywhere, you can't pick and chose what goes first...stomach area is usually the last to tone because of our genetics..this is the "survival" area...the body stores fat here in case you are in a survival mode and then your body will take its energy from this area....to correctly remove the weight...and you ladies are gonna hate me for this...it has to be done slowly...pills do not work...they only remove water which you gain back soon as you drink some more water...it its on tv promising a quick fix...save your money...you have to change your diet, keep a food journal..and get off your ass...need any more advice just ask...been a fitness buff for the past 15 years.......i have tips..but won't bore the whole class with them,lol......good luck!!!!

As another fitness buff, I have to agree with what Lola says here.  If losing weight were as easy as taking a pill or embarking on some fad diet, this country wouldn't have the obesity problem it does.  IMO at least, you have to do things like keep the food journal, modify your diet so you're getting the right amount of carbs, proteins, and fats, and get some exercise.  Sure, it's work, but it's hard to argue with the results.

The only things I'd add to what Lola mentioned is, beware of "fat-free" foods and "diet" soda.  "Fat" has gotten a bad rap.  There are good fats and bad fats; you need to get the "bad" fats (like trans fat) out of your diet, and get the appropriate amount of "good" fats (like mono and poly-unsaturaturated fats).  You actually need these "good" fats to be healthy.  So eat some fish, snack on sunflower seeds, use olive oil based salad dressing, etc.  And there is some evidence to suggest that the chemicals (can't think of a better word for them) used in diet sodas inhibits weight loss even while providing a zero-calorie drink.  So ditch the diet Coke and drink lots of water instead. 

You also have to be patient.  You're not going to see immediate results.  A lot of people do things like this and think they're going to be at their target weight in a month if they work at it.  And when they're not, they get discouraged and throw in the towel.  Don't give up, just keep working at it.  Eventually it'll happen.  One last thought - eat only when you're hungry, and never for pleasure.

It's really just a matter of priorities.  You have to decide that being in good shape and feeling healthy is more important to you than donuts and ice cream...

• April 8, 2012 6:49 AM PDT

Hey America!!!

Will you please keep your bad and rainy weather over there!  We dont want it!!  We have the biggest rain storm of the year coming in through tonight and tomorrow - ALL DAY LONG!!!

Wont get much work done now will I???

Prevalent West Wind, coming in from USA 
    .....HAH!!!.....

• September 5, 2013 3:35 AM PDT
    Tried again this year and still no luck loosing weight, except for the few pounds i lost because of how hot it was this summer!
  • September 5, 2013 4:34 AM PDT
    For good weight loss, take your windshield off and go on some long distance rides (50+ miles each way).

Eat light so you make good time and take some twisty roads when possible.

http://www.xxlbiker.com/index.php/biker-articles/49-motorcycle-articles/140-lose-weight-riding-your-motorcycle.html
    • 844 posts
    November 6, 2013 9:54 AM PST
    Working on the winter bod now :-)
    • 9 posts
    November 9, 2013 6:54 AM PST
    I gave up on that "summer bod", thing...this past summer. With advancing (OMGosh) age, I have found that some things, ain't ever gonna be the same. Especially, in light of the medicine I take for my Diabetes Insipidis (*google it). And the fact, that I don't eat exactly "healthy" with my work schedule, or the fact that I still imbibe, on occasion.
    Ok, once or twice a week, alright??? LOL

I've cut way back on my consumption of just about everything, and still, the inevitable S word! The ladies, should know what that means.

I have this lovely little donut tire, around my (formerly) "belly dancer" type stomach. You can't even call that a "muffin-top". NOT A PRETTY SIGHT. It does NOTHING, for my self-esteem, I can tell ya that.
    And before anyone wants to say, it's not the "package" that matters...REALLY? Would you be comfortable with
    a goodyear around YOUR MIDDLE???

I get PLENTY of excersize in my work and home life, so...

I wear larger tops, and nothing tight, anymore. It's crushin' to see the changes that happen during "mental pause".
    But, being a single lady, who wants to date...someday. Well...nuff said.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 2 posts
    March 26, 2014 2:28 PM PDT
    That time again to start think about getting in a little better shape for summer. Like most years all I am going to do is think about it :-)
    • 3006 posts
    March 28, 2014 5:06 AM PDT
    LOL yeah know the feeling well) more interested in riding, then pumping weights thats for sure here!!!
    • 5420 posts
    March 28, 2014 5:08 AM PDT
    I know what you mean Ron. But this year I am actually in a little better shape because the doctor has me on a strict diet to regulate my cholesterol and glucose levels.
    • 5420 posts
    September 17, 2014 6:50 AM PDT
    Still doing pretty good, actually great. I maintained weight - stop gaining - since I have started eating better. Two weeks ago I decided to get serious and lose the big belly. I have been eating really well and taking lots of walks, so far down 8 lbs in two weeks. Next week start at the gym!
    • 84 posts
    September 17, 2014 9:00 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Still doing pretty good, actually great. I maintained weight - stop gaining - since I have started eating better. Two weeks ago I decided to get serious and lose the big belly. I have been eating really well and taking lots of walks, so far down 8 lbs in two weeks. Next week start at the gym!

That's great.  8 lbs in 2 weeks is a nice clip.  You're lucky.  Walking doesn't work for me.  I have to exercise constantly   2-3 hours a day 5-6 days a week or I blowup like a balloon.

Good luck with the gym.
    • 9 posts
    September 23, 2014 10:39 AM PDT
    Last post was almost a year ago, on this thread. About the time my medical insurance ran out. I no longer take the D.I. med's, but not much else has changed. I lost 8 lbs, over the spring, due to MORE physical work in the yard, and a new land-lady that is a health "nut". She turned me onto some things, that I try to incorporate into my diet.
    Notice, I said..."try".

I still have to eat on the run, most days. You can't eat a salad, while drivin'. Ya know?
    I still have the "adult beverage" once or twice a week. Especially in light of the fact, that I no longer have access
    to med's that help with my back pain. (Two compressed Vert.'s in my lower back from multiple MVA's and
    one really bad forklift accident).

The goodyear, looks more like a "donut", but it's still very self-deprecating. I've had little to no self-esteem, for
    a lot of years. ***(WORKIN' on the MIND, with God's help!!!) 
    I feel pretty good physically, so the rest is just an attitude adjustment. Feel me?

I was just diagnosed with Emphysema. Not surprising, since I've smoked for close to 43 years.
    I just PRAY GOD the generational curse of lung cancer, will pass me by. I want to quit, badly.
    Everytime I try, my blood pressure goes up. Doc's have told me, the BP will kill me before the smoke's...
    go figure...huh?

Listen, we are all payin' the price for the choices we made "back in the day". But, I'm here to tell ya,
    if you are serious about your health, doin' SOMETHING, is better than NOTHING. K? So, go for it!!!

I'd like to stick around long enough, to see my son, marry and have a family. 
    I'd like a whole lot more, but in the end...that's all that really matters to me. That my son find joy.

Choices folks.
    So do yourself, and your loved one's a favor?

Make good one's. 

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 5420 posts
    October 13, 2014 1:19 PM PDT
    Nobody in my family can believe it but I have stuck to my new "eating right" and exercise for just over a month now. Down 13 pounds and almost 2 inches in waist size... most important I FELL GREAT. Yesterday we took the grand kids kids to the park and I was able to walk 2 miles with one of them on my back without tiring out. A few months ago... no chance!