Summer Bod

• April 28, 2010 2:32 AM PDT
    Just found this post.
    I've been working on the weight loss thing for a couple three months now.
    I've only lost around 9 pounds, but improved my cartio. Which was really my main concern.

I need to cut back on the volume of food, but because of my Italian heritage well...I love good food!!!! It's in my blood.
    From Tortellini Carbonara to Sausage and peppers, to Stromboli, and a great pepperoni pizza.
    Got to go...Carbone's here I come!!!!
  • April 28, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
    if i lost weight ,what would my grand-son have as a back -rest!!!!!!
    • 1516 posts
    April 28, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
    Great Work everyone! it is so hard as Lucky pointed out to loose when you just go up and down. I have lost a total of probably 40 lbs, but the problem is I have lost the same 3 I don't know how many times! AGHHHHHH!
    Good part is that most all of my pants will fall off without unbuttoning and the bad part is I lost a bra size too. Go figure!
    • 1161 posts
    April 28, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
    Since I stopped im back up to 257 (+2 from where I started the first time size: 44).  Been doing a few things gonna try to get back into doing this again. 
  • April 28, 2010 10:06 AM PDT
    debrajo62 wrote...
    Great Work everyone! it is so hard as Lucky pointed out to loose when you just go up and down. I have lost a total of probably 40 lbs, but the problem is I have lost the same 3 I don't know how many times! AGHHHHHH!
    Good part is that most all of my pants will fall off without unbuttoning and the bad part is I lost a bra size too. Go figure!

Yeah hun we're gonna need some photo or video evidence of that. 

Just sayin'... 

• 1516 posts
    April 28, 2010 4:43 PM PDT
    hambone wrote...
    debrajo62 wrote...

Yeah hun we're gonna need some photo or video evidence of that. 

Just sayin'... 
    Well just wait for Redwood Run, there will probably be more evidence than we can carry back on the bikes of clothes coming off and other strange things! Since there are so many before photos, I guess I need to work on some after photos!!
    • 5420 posts
    January 22, 2012 3:07 PM PST
    It's that time of year again... and it's been about a year since everyone was talking about this, including me - the problem is that's all I did was talk about it.

I'm going to be the first to admit I look like crap right now - as far as weight is concerned. Those who know me know I am a fairly small framed guy and just after Christmas I was tipping the scales at 205 lbs. Me optimum weight - the weight I was at the last time I looked in the mirror and wasn't disgusted is around 175.

So since the first of the year I have completely changed my diet and am going to the gym at least 4 times a week with my son. So far I have only lost 6 lbs, but I'm pretty happy about it. Hopefully with the support of my family I can keep up with it. Laura has been great about buying me good snacks and cooking meals that are in my diet. An my 15 year old son is great about going to the gym with me and making sure I work hard while I'm there.

Hopefully by the time the summer gets here I will be in a little better shape!
    • 0 posts
    January 22, 2012 3:16 PM PST
    Lucky Im tippin in at 220 now and it sucks..Exercise is hard with my injuries so I spose Im gonna be a bloody big bastard for ever now...Cheers BIG BELLIED BOOF
  • January 22, 2012 3:20 PM PST
    GOOD LUCK to everyone!! I KNOW it is a challenge. I feel blessed to always be in a 'healthy' state of mind, body and spirit ~ I eat well and stay active as much as possible. I train and run half marathons, marathons and any distance in between, specifically trail running where it challenges every part of your body, I LOVE IT!! At 51, I find it exhilarating to past runners half my age!! I don't diet but in my business/profession, PREVENTION is key so I try to practice what I preach. I applaud you each of you who is willing to take on the challenge and know that I am rooting for you! One step at a time and be realistic but discipline!!
    • 1161 posts
    January 22, 2012 3:46 PM PST
    Ya it has been a while. Ya I was pushing 268 for a bit there but I have lost about 10 pounds since I got my bike in December. But as for doing a lot of excersize I miss being able to do it. With my injories it is hard to get decent excersize and not be able to move for 2 or 3 days but I'm going to try again this year with walking in the mornings. Got to get my night and days correct again (right now they are reversed).

But as for trying to lose weight I have been eating less and trying to work on my bike play with the dogs more and walk. Good luck to you Lucky!
  • January 22, 2012 4:22 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    It's that time of year again... and it's been about a year since everyone was talking about this, including me - the problem is that's all I did was talk about it.

I'm going to be the first to admit I look like crap right now - as far as weight is concerned. Those who know me know I am a fairly small framed guy and just after Christmas I was tipping the scales at 205 lbs. Me optimum weight - the weight I was at the last time I looked in the mirror and wasn't disgusted is around 175.

So since the first of the year I have completely changed my diet and am going to the gym at least 4 times a week with my son. So far I have only lost 6 lbs, but I'm pretty happy about it. Hopefully with the support of my family I can keep up with it. Laura has been great about buying me good snacks and cooking meals that are in my diet. An my 15 year old son is great about going to the gym with me and making sure I work hard while I'm there.

Hopefully by the time the summer gets here I will be in a little better shape!

I actually started right before Thanksgiving. I do a transformation challenge every year over the holidays, and it helps me to lose weight rather than gaining it. The main thing is that it is not always about WEIGHT loss. For example, I may be classified as 5 pounds overweight right now based on BMI or weight charts, but when I look at body fat percentage, I'm in a healthy zone. And a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat!

So, if you really want to track your results...take your measurements, or get a scale that measures body fat % or a set of calipers to do a skin fold test.

I started this year 15 pounds lighter than I was right before thanksgiving. But I have since added back 3 pounds since I have been pushing more weight rather than doing as much cardio.

And Lucky...6 pounds is GREAT progress for 3 weeks in. 2 pounds per week is a healthy pace. KEEP IT UP! But, find a Navy Method bodyfat calculator you can use to check your body fat percentage based on your measurements, too. You just may have lost 10 pounds of fat and gained 4 pounds of muscle which is netting out to a 6 pound loss overall.

Also...eat healthy, but don't cut calories severely. Check out fitday.com or one of the other sites that help you track your foods and count your calories. Yes, you want a deficit at the end of the day to lose weight, but if you cut your calories too much, your body won't want to burn the fat...it will actually become very efficient at taking every calorie you consume and storing it as fat so it has the energy it wants to function. Make sure you are feeding yourself enough to keep your metabolism going.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net is a great site to use to calculate your BMR to know how much you should be eating, as well as to calculate your BF% to set your target goals.

Edited to correct "BMI" to be "BMR", which is basal metabolic rate, or, how many calories you burn each day just by being you. You want to consume enough calories to feed your key biological functions, but also have a deficit of about 500 calories each day in order to lose 1 pound a week.

• January 23, 2012 5:04 AM PST
    Fefe wrote...

I actually started right before Thanksgiving. I do a transformation challenge every year over the holidays, and it helps me to lose weight rather than gaining it. The main thing is that it is not always about WEIGHT loss. For example, I may be classified as 5 pounds overweight right now based on BMI or weight charts, but when I look at body fat percentage, I'm in a healthy zone. And a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat!

So, if you really want to track your results...take your measurements, or get a scale that measures body fat % or a set of calipers to do a skin fold test.

I started this year 15 pounds lighter than I was right before thanksgiving. But I have since added back 3 pounds since I have been pushing more weight rather than doing as much cardio.

And Lucky...6 pounds is GREAT progress for 3 weeks in. 2 pounds per week is a healthy pace. KEEP IT UP! But, find a Navy Method bodyfat calculator you can use to check your body fat percentage based on your measurements, too. You just may have lost 10 pounds of fat and gained 4 pounds of muscle which is netting out to a 6 pound loss overall.

Also...eat healthy, but don't cut calories severely. Check out fitday.com or one of the other sites that help you track your foods and count your calories. Yes, you want a deficit at the end of the day to lose weight, but if you cut your calories too much, your body won't want to burn the fat...it will actually become very efficient at taking every calorie you consume and storing it as fat so it has the energy it wants to function. Make sure you are feeding yourself enough to keep your metabolism going.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net is a great site to use to calculate your BMI to know how much you should be eating, as well as to calculate your BF% to set your target goals.

Remember it took awhile to pile on the pounds, takes about twice as long to lose them.  Totally agree with FEFE, no severe dieting, and lose gradually as you make healthy eating and choices part of your daily routine.  Healthy, positive lifestyle habits will result in living more productively and with so much more energy, managing stress better, etc.  Takes alot of work, discipline and being around those who are supportive and encouraging 
    Glad some of you are losing the pounds already!!  WAY TO GO!!

• 601 posts
    January 23, 2012 9:12 AM PST
    I'm one of the lucky few.....same weight for over 30 years...I can eat and drink to my hearts content, but seem to burn it off when I sleep... I'm 5' 10"..and 140lbs
  • January 23, 2012 9:33 AM PST
    I wanna play...so...I'm at 205 now it's January 23rd 2012.....so once a week we check in ight?
    IceBear....
  • January 23, 2012 9:49 AM PST
    Hello all. I am trying to lose 15 lbs by this summer. I have cut down on what I eat and how much I eat. I want to be in better shape for when I go to Sturgis in August. However my 16-year-old is taking cooking in school so she's always making cookies and cakes.....ugh. Maybe I should take the clothes off my treadmill and use it the right way. Everybody wish me luck.
    • 1855 posts
    January 23, 2012 10:21 AM PST
    I normally go up (230) and down (205) during the year; I'm 6' tall and thin boned, so that means I'm faaaaaaaaaaaaat. This is the time of year where my weight goes up. Unfortunately I just started on insulin last month and discovered that insulin causes weight gain. They neglected to tell me that part when I started the drug. I feel like I'm heavier than ever but I'm not getting on the scales until Feb. 12 when I have another VA appointment. Maybe I can drop a few pounds by then.

Peace
    • 611 posts
    January 23, 2012 3:25 PM PST
    To All that struggle with yer weight... All my best to all of y'all!
    Me? 6'4" & 175lbs... I'll take all the weight that yer willin ta send my way! Good Losing to all..
    Edge... of skinny...
    • 5420 posts
    February 6, 2012 1:40 AM PST
    Damn I was doing so well until the Girl Scouts showed up the door with Thin Mints and Peanut Butter Sandwiches!!!
  • February 6, 2012 4:23 AM PST
    You actually have girl scouts showing up at your door? I didn't think they did that anymore.

In fact, I rarely ever see or hear from the actual girl scout. Usually it is the parents I see peddling the cookies.
    • 5420 posts
    February 6, 2012 4:36 AM PST
    Oh yeah, there all over - at my door, in front of the grocery stores - there like swarms of little devils tempting me to break my diet! And they have succeeded!
    • 395 posts
    February 6, 2012 4:39 AM PST
    the evils of girl scout cookies..hahahahaha....i work out 1 to 2 hours five days a week......just get on the treadmill WHILE you eat the cookie...then at least you'll burn the sugar before it has a chance to metabolize.......
    • 1780 posts
    February 6, 2012 5:13 AM PST
    Couple of years ago I was working out with a trainer 3 to 4 times a week. As a matter of fact my profile picture with my dog Jessy was during that time. My Trainer told me he was sitting in the sana one day and this really buff dude came in and set down. The guy looks at my Trainer and says Man Never do Stearoids and stood up and dropped his towel. Apparently his business looked like a 5 year old,s! Any way I was going great and my schedule changed and screwed up my momumn!
    Moral of the story Guys unless you want the business like a 5 year old......... Stay off the roids.
  • February 6, 2012 5:18 AM PST
    the evils of girl scout cookies..hahahahaha....i work out 1 to 2 hours five days a week......just get on the treadmill WHILE you eat the cookie...then at least you'll burn the sugar before it has a chance to metabolize.......

Reminds of a person I used to work with. She would take the wrapper of the candy bar or whatever she was eating and put it in front of her on the treadmill and she would walk/run until the calories listed were spent.

• February 6, 2012 5:36 AM PST
    I can attest to the theory of Not losing too much too quickly....After loosing the "fatness" of 250lbs...... my ex husband! lol gotcha! I was (what i felt) a pleasingly plump 140lbs, thats alot for me ...I was a toothpick all my life until pregnancy.....
    Through the stress of an 18month divorce and all it brought, I lost 35 lbs in the first month and i cant find it anywhere! I have to work hard to stay in shape....but at my age its definitely worth it....I work hard, (in landscaping you don't have a choice) eat healthy, and drink lots of water!!!!! Girl scout cookies are evil! Especially in the winter time!!!!
  • February 6, 2012 9:34 AM PST
    NightDragon wrote...
    Couple of years ago I was working out with a trainer 3 to 4 times a week. As a matter of fact my profile picture with my dog Jessy was during that time. My Trainer told me he was sitting in the sana one day and this really buff dude came in and set down. The guy looks at my Trainer and says Man Never do Stearoids and stood up and dropped his towel. Apparently his business looked like a 5 year old,s! Any way I was going great and my schedule changed and screwed up my momumn!
    Moral of the story Guys unless you want the business like a 5 year old......... Stay off the roids.

All I have to do is remember Lyle Alzado, who died at 43 years old from a brain tumor.  He always chalked it up to his steroid use.  Whether or not steroids caused his brain cancer, it's a good enough reason for me to stay away from them.  I lift every other evening, and as far as I'm concerned, if you put in an honest effort working out, you can build yourself up pretty damn well without any chemicals at all.  You gotta eat right is all.

My advice: don't be working on that six-pack before you've lost all the blubber covering them up - you'll just make yourself look fatter than you are.  And don't expect results overnight, because you'll just disappoint yourself
    .  Of course, Option B is to accept yourself as you are, and just decide to be content.  That works, too.