Eastern U.S. Fall 2010 Gathering (Past Event)

• 352 posts
    July 2, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
    yea - just want to try to find a place with something going on nearby for some alternate fun...and it can not be the first weekend of the month so our weekend warrior can join us.
  • July 2, 2010 1:14 AM PDT
    this is just an idea.....its a killer event...
    http://www.rallyontheriver.com/
    • 11 posts
    July 2, 2010 1:21 AM PDT
    Check out Cherokee NC. It's where they have the Dragons Tail... 318 curves in 11 miles. There is a campground with cabins called The Ironhorse. The campground has a stream running thru the middle of the property. I'll put some pictures up for you good folks to see. It's probably the best riding I've ever done.
  • July 2, 2010 1:38 AM PDT
    masterofmetal wrote...
    Check out Cherokee NC. It's where they have the Dragons Tail... 318 curves in 11 miles. There is a campground with cabins called The Ironhorse. The campground has a stream running thru the middle of the property. I'll put some pictures up for you good folks to see. It's probably the best riding I've ever done.

i just came back from there riddin about three weeks ago....i normaly ride it 5-6 times a year....it awsome there....i have an uncle that owns a motel down in peigon forge right across from dixie stampeed....i can get us all a good deal there with him?
  • July 2, 2010 9:43 AM PDT
    Sounds wonderful, but...I have a job interview next week, so, I don't imagine I will have the time if I get the job. (keep your fingers crossed for me). Maybe I'll hit lotto and won't need a job!!!
    • 352 posts
    July 2, 2010 9:57 AM PDT
    well we will probably be making it a long weekend so that most people can try to squeeze it in - and Maggie Valley had been suggested earlier - not far from Peigon Forge & Cherokee, I think I had posted a link to something in Cherokee -

- Taco it would be great if you could check on what kind of deal we could get there.

We can get something together I'm sure
    • 5417 posts
    July 2, 2010 11:05 AM PDT
    Just a suggestion if you guys do decide to do Maggie Valley area...We have a few businesses here on CycleFish in the area that you may want to contact to see how they could help you all out with accomendations.

Clarketon Motel - Maggie Valley

A Holiday Motel - Maggie Valley

Tipi Camp - Ashville

HighCountryMotorcycleCamp - Ferguson, NC

Just a thought...

• 352 posts
    July 2, 2010 11:13 AM PDT
    yep - at least one of those had been mentioned.

I was kind of hoping that a least one of the business owners was an "active" member of the CycleFish family and look to be part of the gathering as opposed to just an advertiser/sponsor - they could take part in the planing of some activities for some fun for all
    • 1 posts
    July 2, 2010 11:47 AM PDT
    MDbikergal and I stayed at the A Holiday Motel shortly after we got settled in we were greeted with two cold beers by the owners. I am pretty sure that was not a standard practice, but it shows good hospitility. We stayed there for 3 or 4 days before leaving for Bowling Green. I know we are still kicking around where to meet and I believe we should take our time at this. Maybe someone could gather all the areas of interest and put them on a poll to see where the most interest would be and then start a planning process from there. Well, Bulldog since the Eastern Fall Gathering was your idea I submit your name as the official Poll Meister. :0) Of course if this is good with you. Nothing like a pissed off BullDog barking at ya. :0)
  • July 2, 2010 12:13 PM PDT
    All I sent Gabi at A Holiday and this is her response.

Hi guys,We would love to have your group. What is the dates you would be thinking about. We love groups and offer a group rate for sure. Thank you
    Gabi

• 352 posts
    July 2, 2010 1:29 PM PDT
    well guess we should try to nail down a weekend or two as a rough starting point and see what we can come up with
    • 1 posts
    July 3, 2010 10:32 AM PDT
    What month are we shooting for BullDog?
    • 352 posts
    July 3, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
    I'm thinking Sept or Oct - any later and the mountain weather gets unpredictable for biking
    • 1 posts
    July 3, 2010 12:14 PM PDT
    September is still warm for bikers to bike in from the north as well as warm enough for the day rides and the get togethers. Now the weekend, wonder if Labor Day weekend would be good. Some of us could make a 4 day weekend of it. Just a thought and kicking it around.
    • 19004 posts
    July 3, 2010 11:35 PM PDT
    Labor Day is OK but... A real bad time to travel unless you can do it a few days early and late. Just my opinion...
    • 352 posts
    July 4, 2010 1:16 AM PDT
    labor day weekend can work - once you get out of the mainstream highways but extra caution is definately needed from those cages running with BBQ sauce for brains - I need to check with my war dept, she will be attending this next one so I need to see what her days off before and/or after are.

Meantime I guess we can have a look in both those areas to see what's going on - WV has a Autumn Harvest Festival and Roadkill Cook-off sometime in Sept....lol might be fun after them crawdads. Cherokee Rally is no kids so we may need to rethink heading near there if the little Defcons can make the run...

Let's have some feed back guys
    • 413 posts
    July 4, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
    I'd like to make it up yer way folks, but WV is just to far for me in such a short time I'd have. maggie Valley would be best for me; but if the little DEFCON'S can't go, then ther ain't no sense in heading that way as far as I'm concerned and labor day won't work for me as the end of Sept would be best if it were maggie Valley. Soooooooooooo, I'm gonna work with KRUM and maybe nightdragon and angeleye's and see if the Fayetteville, Ar Blues 'n' BBQ rally the end of Sept can be a go for us and if anyone else is interested. You folks get it together and have a feckin blast; will catch ya another time. Just some thoughts; but still open to suggestions cause would love to do it again.
    • 352 posts
    July 4, 2010 1:29 AM PDT
    Maggie Valley, Cherokee and Piegon Forge are all within like 20 miles of each other so anything aroung there should be ok - what I meant was that the little Defcons can't get into the grounds at the Cherokee Survivor Rally which is not a big problem, it's just another thing going on in the area. there are POW-WOW's, tail of the dragon and lots of things going on around there.
    • 413 posts
    July 4, 2010 1:37 AM PDT
    TheBullDog wrote...
    Maggie Valley, Cherokee and Piegon Forge are all within like 20 miles of each other so anything aroung there should be ok - what I meant was that the little Defcons can't get into the grounds at the Cherokee Survivor Rally which is not a big problem, it's just another thing going on in the area. there are POW-WOW's, tail of the dragon and lots of things going on around there.

OK, well my miles limit one way is 600 miles for the time I would have to go. If it's within that range then wherever ya'll decide and the DEFCON tribe can attend then I'm game; justs needs to be the middle or end of Sept for me. Ya'll don't arrange this thing around me by ANY means; I'm just tossin out what I can work with. If the majority want to have it further North outside my rideing range so they can attend then go for it and we'll get together another day...I'll just keep checkin in and see what's happening and go with the flow.
    • 19004 posts
    July 4, 2010 2:59 AM PDT
    As for the Kids I think they SHOULD come. We all can do the adult only stuff anytime, besides that is what I like about CycleFish, it is family friendly.Labor day works for me, the traffic advise was just a caution. Also, I can go almost anyplace. I might even bring my new motor-home. If I get one.
    • 910 posts
    July 4, 2010 3:05 AM PDT
    I can go any place as long as I can get to NC for a friend's wedding on 9/5.
  • July 4, 2010 3:07 AM PDT
    There ya go Rex... They can pick their time an pick their place... Have Sunglasses, will travel..... You get the "Road-Dog" straightened out? I didn't get in till about 2:30 Friday afternoon. That's when I found out y'all had run afoul of them "Gremlins"....
    • 413 posts
    July 4, 2010 3:08 AM PDT
    Yea, I look at having little DEFCON'S around as an opportunity to teach our youth. When I'm acting a idiot and fool and they look at me and say; "Dude, somethings WRONG with you." I can say, "Yep kids, pay attention on how NOT to be when ya grow up."...Lesson for the day; some of Americas's youth have recieved life instruction from the dude....LOL
    • 19004 posts
    July 4, 2010 3:19 AM PDT
    bikersarge1 wrote...
    There ya go Rex... They can pick their time an pick their place... Have Sunglasses, will travel..... You get the "Road-Dog" straightened out? I didn't get in till about 2:30 Friday afternoon. That's when I found out y'all had run afoul of them "Gremlins"....

No news yet. Rex is still in the Harley Hospital. I told the service manager to take his time and get it right. This is a different dealer than the first one I took him too on the road. Actually it is the dealership of my friend who passed away two years ago. Man we still miss him. What a great guy. AND I am proud to say we were friends before he opened the shop.

Smaltz's HD, Eagle, PA

• 910 posts
    July 4, 2010 3:19 AM PDT
    hmm, what about the not-so-young?