Hobbies - Other Than Motorcycles

• 84 posts
    September 7, 2014 9:17 PM PDT
    " riding my bike for exercise"

What kind of bike do you have and how far/fast do you ride?

I ride a Trek Madone and do about 150 miles/wk.
    Snake
    • 5417 posts
    November 11, 2014 11:30 AM PST
    Starting on my new hobby... actually an old hobby being rejuvenated. Just bought a radial arm saw and a few other wood working tools and I am going to start building stuff again. I really loved woodworking and just kind of ran out of time to do it.

First projects are two really cool doll houses for our two grand daughters.
  • November 12, 2014 1:29 AM PST
    Art (majored in sculpture but have reverted to painting) Music (guitar) Guns, building furniture from throw-aways and scrap, survival (Army trained SERE instructor)....not sure if they are hobbies or therapy!
  • November 12, 2014 2:07 AM PST
    I wanna go fishin
    • 18989 posts
    November 12, 2014 11:59 PM PST
     one example, and why I live here in SW Texas
    • 5417 posts
    February 20, 2015 6:00 AM PST
    Little by little getting back into wood working.  My current project is a rolling BBQ for my buddy.  Bought the wood for his b-day now we are working on it.  He wanted to have a small and large Webber, one for meats and one for sides, dogs, etc.  Went with a butcher block style top.  This weekend sand it, work on the legs and bottom shelves and be done.  Here is the top so far...

• 18989 posts
    February 21, 2015 1:17 AM PST
    Making Sawdust (ha) is my alternate hobby too Lucky. I love the creation part, making something useful from a pile of sticks.
  • February 21, 2015 1:51 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Making Sawdust (ha) is my alternate hobby too Lucky. I love the creation part, making something useful from a pile of sticks.

Sounds like my type of campfire

• 18989 posts
    June 21, 2015 1:39 AM PDT
     Creating a new computer center desk top. Turned out to be a lot mor work than I expected but should be worth it...Only fine sanding, Many coats of varnish, and the copper edge frame left to do...
    • 16777 posts
    June 21, 2015 6:10 AM PDT
    Real nice!
    • 18989 posts
    June 21, 2015 11:53 PM PDT
    Thanks Rev
    • 1855 posts
    June 22, 2015 2:00 AM PDT
    I got into wood working but I've been too busy being retired to actually do anything else. But I did rebuild the old shovelhead and didn't need a single wood-working tool. LOL
    • 5417 posts
    June 22, 2015 4:19 AM PDT
    That is looking really nice there Mike. You have a whole lot of patience and it shows!!!
    • 18989 posts
    June 22, 2015 7:14 AM PDT
    Thanks, but Patience?!?! Me?!?! HA!!! Got you fooled!
  • November 24, 2015 1:52 PM PST
    I like to play the blues - electric and acoustic.
  • November 24, 2015 11:50 PM PST
    g/f and I started Bocce Ball this summer and now trying bowling, after 30+ years...
    both are nice, but the bike still gets top ratings.
    • 5417 posts
    December 13, 2015 11:58 PM PST
    Finally got around to building the doll house for my grand daughter.  Here is the work in progress.  will have the final pics by Christmas.

• December 14, 2015 1:43 AM PST
    Pistol Shooting , Astronomy with 3 foot giant binoculars and 200 times magnification , Praising and enjoying the universes Creator/Designer/ Savior , RVing , Hanging out at Starbucks for conversation.
    • 16777 posts
    December 14, 2015 6:21 AM PST
     When the arthritis in my hands get's them in need of therapy I work on scale models. (it really helps)
    This was a snap together Ghostbusters car I "opened up" with Lambo and clam shell type doors and reverse opening hood
    to make a custom hearse. Plus I'm "kitbashing" the interior, chassis, and engine with another 1959 Caddy model.
    • 18989 posts
    December 14, 2015 7:48 PM PST
     Nice work Lucky and Rev! Really nice!
    • 18989 posts
    December 14, 2015 9:11 PM PST
     Before and finished of my last project...PS my wife was a Great partner in getting this done...
    • 16777 posts
    December 15, 2015 4:09 AM PST
    Sweet work Lucky and Mike!
    Lately my working with wood seems to be repair and or demolition.
    • 18989 posts
    December 15, 2015 8:35 PM PST
    Thanks Rev! And I know all to well the repair and demolish....ha

I admire those who work metal, but never really worked with it much, although I wanted to. Mill and lathe type and sadly never developed any welding skills. I am thinking about getting an acetylene setup for artsy copper and brass work in the future...

• 1855 posts
    December 16, 2015 12:46 AM PST
    I've taken to creating a work-space at one end of our sunroom just in case I actually want to work on anything.  I've got a mechanical work-station in the garage and there was actually no room for wood working.  But I'm also discovering that whatever tool I may need in one space is in the other space.
    • 16777 posts
    December 16, 2015 2:29 PM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Thanks Rev! And I know all to well the repair and demolish....ha

I admire those who work metal, but never really worked with it much, although I wanted to. Mill and lathe type and sadly never developed any welding skills. I am thinking about getting an acetylene setup for artsy copper and brass work in the future...

My metal skills and anything else I have been lucky to have learned over the years basically came from wanting stuff I couldn't afford and or being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to be taught by somebody with a lot of patience with me.