Hobbies - Other Than Motorcycles

• 1780 posts
    May 3, 2010 8:10 AM PDT
    Moose man you da man
    Dragon
    • 1780 posts
    May 3, 2010 8:12 AM PDT
    Tinker in my shop making knife handles, changing things to the abstract......Made a very cool cane for a friend of mind. I am the King if Tinker
    Dragon
    • 1780 posts
    May 3, 2010 8:14 AM PDT
    RaceAngel wrote...
    My passion is racing and riding.  Racing on Saturday nites, riding on Sunday morning.

I race at Perris Auto Speedway, Perris CA. 1/2 mile clay oval in the Street Stock division.  I race against my husband and also my teenage son.  I am also an infield announcer/pit reporter.  Getting to interview the guys that I just raced with is great fun.

That is very cool ....the complete family is into it.....very cool ........you husband looks a lot like Billy Bob Thorton......Bad Santa
    Night Dragon
    • 601 posts
    May 5, 2010 1:37 AM PDT
    History is a great passion of mine, especially obscure and forgotton history. I am currently reading about Soviet troops who were sent to Siberia because they had met U.S troops after WW2, heartrending stuff. I came across this song by the Waterboys ( an Irish Rock/blues outfit) which is wrenching and haunting when you think of the 1000's of men condemned to Siberia for nothing...

When I left my home and my family
    my mother said to me
    "Son, it's not how many Germans you kill that counts
    It's how many people you set free!"

So I packed my bags
    brushed my cap
    Walked out into the world
    seventeen years old
    Never kissed a girl

Took the train to Voronezh
    that was as far as it would go
    Changed my sacks for a uniform
    bit my lip against the snow
    I prayed for mother Russia
    in the summer of '43
    And as we drove the Germans back
    I really believed
    That God was listening to me

We howled into Berlin
    tore the smoking buildings down
    Raised the red flag high
    burnt the reichstag brown
    I saw my first American
    and he looked a lot like me
    He had the same kinda farmer's face
    said he'd come from some place called Hazzard, Tennessee

Then the war was over
    my discharge papers came
    Me and twenty hundred others
    went to Stettiner for the train
    Kiev! said the commissar
    from there your own way home
    But I never got to Kiev
    we never came by home
    Train went north to the Taiga
    we were stripped and marched in file
    Up the great siberian road
    for miles and miles and miles and miles
    Dressed in stripes and tatters
    in a gulag left to die
    All because Comrade Stalin was scared that
    we'd become too westernized!

Used to love my country
    used to be so young
    Used to believe that life was
    the best song ever sung
    I would have died for my country
    in 1945
    But now only one thing remains
    but now only one thing remains
    But now only one thing remains
    but now only one thing remains
    The brute will to survive!

U

• 1040 posts
    May 5, 2010 1:56 AM PDT
    WOW rory! I'm speechless man!....Thanks Bro for that!
    • 601 posts
    May 5, 2010 2:50 AM PDT
    Thanks FXR, all these guys need to be remembered...American, Russian, British, Chinese, Aussie's..even the Viet Minh, if they hadn't won, me and you could be waiting in a que for the gas chambers. I have written to a U.S army archive for information on their involvment on the " U.S/ USSR meeting...books or other such information, I believe it was a Lt Robertson of the 69th Infantry Div who first met the Soviets...but finding stuff on the survivors is difficult, Soviet records are easier to get now than U.S....thats some turnaround. Its their life stories I like, not the actual events.
  • May 5, 2010 7:07 AM PDT
    I like to tinker with things to make them better. Love going ice blocking, trips to Mexico, inventing, I run everyday,cooking things that could kill you, I make a killer baklava. I collect heart shaped rocks and can out eat most grown men. Especially when it comes to seafood.
  • g
    May 5, 2010 7:22 AM PDT
    lol,wont invite u to ma bbq then ...lol.
    • 834 posts
    July 31, 2014 1:49 PM PDT
    Another real old but fun post. Lets see what some of our new members have for hobbies and if any old members picked up any new hobbies.
    • 84 posts
    July 31, 2014 10:04 PM PDT
    Travel; collect art; hike, camp; photography; visit museums; read; road trips and am presenting scouring Portugal/Spain for long forgotten castles, fortresses and history along the frontier.

• 16780 posts
    August 1, 2014 5:52 AM PDT
    I have been collecting arthritis in my joints, not a fun hobby but one I'm stuck with.
    • 5417 posts
    August 1, 2014 6:00 AM PDT
    Well my favorite hobby is still riding my motorcycle - if you can call that a hobby, more of a passion.

My hobbies in the past usually involved my kids. Now that our youngest has graduated high school and starting college I don't have lots of those any more. The one I miss most was building remote control trucks together for him to race... now I just look at all of them in the garage and remember when.

Guess I am going to have to find a new hobby. What I really want to do is build an old school bobber from ground up. Looks like I will be spending lots of weekends at the motorcycle swap meets.
    • 3006 posts
    August 1, 2014 6:39 AM PDT
    First & foremost is playing my guitar & harmonica,a few more is hiking, photography & collecting interesting stones I find along the way.

Stay Safe & Enjoy the Ride!!!

• August 1, 2014 7:29 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    I have been collecting arthritis in my joints, not a fun hobby but one I'm stuck with.

You too?????

Jon

• 1855 posts
    August 1, 2014 7:33 AM PDT
    12 ounce curls
    • 1161 posts
    August 2, 2014 12:40 AM PDT
    Wow amazing how may are still here even after all these years still and some have left and have come back.
    • 295 posts
    August 2, 2014 5:28 AM PDT
    A job, 4 kids, 7 grand-kids, 4x4, 2 Harleys that is "life". Not much time for hobbies. Guess I'll wait for old age to get a hobby.
  • August 2, 2014 2:49 PM PDT
    Prior to the last child leaving home it was all about everything water & sailing.Shortly after baby boy finished college, I found a new way for wind therapy that didn't depend on the wind direction but created the wind......Can Iget a witness! On a roasting day like today,I may go hit the marina and cool off at my friends houseboat
    • 79 posts
    August 2, 2014 3:58 PM PDT
    Drinking beer is the only hobby i have that doesn't include bikes.
    • 18989 posts
    August 3, 2014 1:19 AM PDT
    I dabble in Fine Art Photography
    • 207 posts
    August 4, 2014 12:40 AM PDT
    Not to sound unoriginal but the two previous posts pretty much sum up my other interests...photography and beer drinking...not necessarily in that order
    • 284 posts
    August 15, 2014 9:31 AM PDT
    Fishing, crabbing, clamming, wood working, antique restoration, house remodeling, gardening, tinkering on altering thing to fit my needs. Watching the rain, riding my bike for exercise, touring down town. Probably more.
  • August 29, 2014 8:47 AM PDT
    I buy and sell older Japanese motorcycles from the 70s or 80s. I'm currently working on a 1982 Yamaha Seca 400. I don't really make a lot of money on the bikes but it's fun for me and there are probably 20 younger guys in the neighborhood that have started their motorcycle riding careers on one of my bikes.
  • September 6, 2014 11:55 AM PDT
    If I'm not riding my bike. I like to work out in the shop and do a bit of blacksmithing. There's something about fire, A piece of steel and a hammer.
  • September 7, 2014 3:51 AM PDT
    Fishing and boating both inshore and offshore