Age Discrimination,,,,,,,it is real

• 1780 posts
    January 13, 2010 12:34 PM PST
    Thanks again everyone.....I feel like I've been re-born

What a great family

Night Dragon
    • 1161 posts
    January 13, 2010 8:40 PM PST
    ya I know that feeling Krum, I get it aswell and im 33 with gray streaks (so I shave my head).
    • 19040 posts
    January 13, 2010 9:36 PM PST
    Night Dragon,
    Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. I am a couple years in front of you and I know what you are dealing with first hand. After a few frustrating months I decided to find something I can do my self. For me it was digital photo restoration. It could have been lawn mowing and snow removal but that might have taken riding time.
    I am not getting rich but I make some gas and beer money.

So pick one of the things you are good at and start your own thing. I know you will be much happier when you do.
  • January 14, 2010 3:04 PM PST
    NightDragon, I know exactly where you are coming from. I have been experiencing the same. I recently applied to a CDL school. I was told I would have no trouble being picked up several companies. Only 1 in the mid-west expressed any interest in me. I meet all of the qualification and have had no tickets on my license for 20yrs. But, I'm a 57yr old woman, not a 40yr old guy. I have no fear or doubt I can drive a rig. I learned to drive as a young child on tractors bailing hay and have driven all types of vehicles in my life time. I didn't take the offer from the one company as I would be on the road for a month at a time and that is not possible for me right now. I have my animals that depend on me and a month at a time is too long for me to be gone.
    I love the elderly also and have the utmost respect for them, they are probably the most forgotten population in this country. Go visit a nursing home. It is heart breaking. There is a great need for volunteers in nursing homes.
    Good luck to you. Great things will happen for you when the time is right. You seem to be a great guy.
  • January 14, 2010 3:29 PM PST
    Night Dragon and Sneakers I invite you to Jerry's Joint to have those beers...maybe I can help you both with solving the problems of the world...or we can just get drunk! LOL
  • January 14, 2010 6:52 PM PST
    Hey Night Draon I am in the same boat. I need something to keep me busy. My biggest problem is I worked in a field, teaching orthotics and prosthetics in third world countrys, that leaves me qualified for next to nothing. When I moved back to the states I tryed to get back into private practice but it just wasent as rewarding. Most of the time I try to stay busy working on the bikes but both of them are about where I want them. Hell I am just looking for something to do. Moose
  • g
    January 14, 2010 10:28 PM PST
    aye ,over 60 ,i will get ur free bus pass from the council ,its not all bad dude ,lol chin up .llf
  • January 14, 2010 10:51 PM PST
    My dad when he was in his 60's went to work out at the airport. He drove one of the buses that takes people out to the planes too small for the jet ramp. Check and see what DFW airport has available. It's not a bad drive up the Airport Freeway from Arlington......
    • 1780 posts
    January 14, 2010 11:02 PM PST
    That's a great idea stonecodd
    Thanks
    Dragon
    • 1161 posts
    January 15, 2010 8:01 AM PST
    stonecoldd wrote...
    My dad when he was in his 60's went to work out at the airport. He drove one of the buses that takes people out to the planes too small for the jet ramp. Check and see what DFW airport has available. It's not a bad drive up the Airport Freeway from Arlington......

Good Idea do we need special endorcements for this or just a drivers lisence since most of the time they dont have air brakes?
    • 1161 posts
    January 15, 2010 8:03 AM PST
    kimberlylamky wrote...
    Night Dragon and Sneakers I invite you to Jerry's Joint to have those beers...maybe I can help you both with solving the problems of the world...or we can just get drunk! LOL

Lol ya may do a bit of both!  haha
  • g
    January 15, 2010 9:29 AM PST
    aye, ur a gid guy dragon ,chin up dude ,and singsing's just said it all .
    • 1780 posts
    February 4, 2010 7:22 AM PST
    Some of you may remember me ranting about Age Discrimination a few weeks ago.....well looks like I'm going back to work in the Security Business again part time. This company called CPS (Commercial Protective Services) in Dallas Texas services mostly Non- Commisioned (not armed) post, but has just received a new contract for a Commisioned (Armed) post which is an Apt Complex close to my house. The last Security Company I worked for had no benifits, and made ya shave, so basically everyone looked like Adolf Hitler. The new company has no armed Officers so they are scampering to hire some. Looks like I will work tomorrow night from 7P - 7A. At lease this company has benifits....401K, health, direct deposit, and free uniforms,.......and I don't have to shave,,,,,hell yea.
    So starting tomorrow night the Night Dragon will be on the hunt at a new Apt. complex.

Night Dragon
    • 0 posts
    February 4, 2010 7:37 AM PST
    Glad to see that you found something.

I guess that I am just an optomist. You are in a very unique situation. You are retired and looking for something to keep you busy, not so much for the income (even though the extra money always helps)

The thing is you can do what ever you really want to do. Your dream job as it were. People are still hiring out there, they are not hiring everyone that comes in and says "give me work" They are hiring the ones that can prove that they would be an assett to the company. The ones that they can't live without.

You can go into someplace that does what you have always dreamed of doing, tell them of your dreams, and say I just want to do this. Pay me what you think I'm worth. If it really is your dream, you will excel at it and will get paid accordingly.

Just my opinion, and yes I am old too.
    • 5420 posts
    February 4, 2010 7:45 AM PST
    Great news Dragon. I hope you let them know you would need a company issued laptop with internet, and if something goes down while your posting on CycleFish, you are not to be held responsible.

Ok, seriously, I am really glad for you!!!
    • 1780 posts
    February 4, 2010 7:46 AM PST
    GaryTJ wrote...
    Glad to see that you found something.

I guess that I am just an optomist. You are in a very unique situation. You are retired and looking for something to keep you busy, not so much for the income (even though the extra money always helps)

The thing is you can do what ever you really want to do. Your dream job as it were. People are still hiring out there, they are not hiring everyone that comes in and says "give me work" They are hiring the ones that can prove that they would be an assett to the company. The ones that they can't live without.

You can go into someplace that does what you have always dreamed of doing, tell them of your dreams, and say I just want to do this. Pay me what you think I'm worth. If it really is your dream, you will excel at it and will get paid accordingly.

Just my opinion, and yes I am old too.

Thank you so much........
    Dragon
    • 1040 posts
    February 4, 2010 8:28 AM PST
    Hey dragon...CONGRATS Bro!! Dude, be damn careful up in that sespool of shit; your a streetsmart dude and I ain't gotta tell ya, but just be careful and don't take any wooden nickles
    • 19040 posts
    February 4, 2010 8:35 AM PST
    Hey Dragon, Best of Luck to ya dude. Be careful out there....
    • 1509 posts
    February 4, 2010 8:39 AM PST
    Night Dragon. I am going to be real. Reality sucks!

Don't complain; Don't get depressed: Don't blame others!

Grab your boot straps and pull.

You think you want to detail Bikes? Start your own Detail Buisness.
    You think you want to be in management? You will be the boss.
    Don't like the Feds?F F@!k them! Cash Only.
    Want to wok out 2 times a week? Appointment only.

The dirty little secret is Freedom is not free!

Go for it
  • February 4, 2010 8:40 AM PST
    congratz man! hope all goes well!
  • February 4, 2010 9:12 AM PST
    Night Dragon, I'm a little late in getting to your post but wanted to respond anyway. Please don't appoligize for saying what is real. I appreciate real & raw emotion vented (I think this is a commonality that bikers gravitate to more than others!). It also has less consequences than taking a bat to the next disrespectful idiot I am over in Mesa County and have many stories of men over here dealing with the same issues at a variety of ages. Employers suddenly have the ability to be rude and picky (not like 2 years ago when they were begging for people over here). I know of companies that have 250-300 applications sitting on the desk within 3 days of the ad coming out. It's the ol 'who you know' that is working better right now. I have found 3 jobs for guys in the last 5 months and it is only because of personal relationships and being told before it hits the paper. Anyway..... I encourage you to look into volunteering also as rynydaz mentioned. Look up www.americorps.org -you earn a living stipend (not much) do something valuable in the community and earn a scholarship. If it peaks your interest track me down, I have been running the Mesa County AmeriCorps for 11 years and would be happy answer any questions & 'what if's'.
    In the meantime I share my favorite saying with you, it has helped me many years in negotiating lifes twists "the bend in the road, is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn".
  • February 4, 2010 9:22 AM PST
    Ok, I didn't read to the last page - my bad. A shout out of CONGRATS to ya Night Dragon!
    • 190 posts
    February 4, 2010 9:51 AM PST
    hey Dragon...Im of the mind that these employers might be more than a lil bit INTIMIDATED by your experience as you will probably no doubt out-shine them. That does happen. Anyway, know you will bounce back. If a buncha gooks hidin in the trees couldnt take ya out i doubt some ol VW drivin perncil pushin civilian with a breast pocket pencil holder will take you out!
    • 190 posts
    February 4, 2010 10:35 AM PST
    Congratulations Night Dragon.
  • February 4, 2010 11:00 AM PST
    congratulations night dragon. i'm in my fortys and see what is coming. 20 years pulling wrenches, my boss is 32. i was working on 290 cummins while he was wankin in the closet. what was said about the work ethic is true, i was taught the old ways( for lack of a better way to put it), on time, all day, get it done, don't bitch. when i had my business running, the guys i would hire to help were done, they were out of the field and on to easier things, some of the workers coming up in the field today i wouldn't let tune up my lawnmower, no pride in their work, good luck getting them to show up on time and give a full day. that was my vent, sorry all. give"em hell dragon!