Solo or ?

• July 30, 2012 7:36 AM PDT
     Hey all... just wanted to get some thoughts and feedback about riding solo or two-up. Personally, I generally prefer to go it alone, but riding this past weekend with my ladyfriend's arms wrapped around me was a reminder how much fun it can be. Anyone feel like chiming in?

• 834 posts
    July 30, 2012 7:38 AM PDT
    It really depends on where I'm going and why. Just out for a ride to relax and get my mind off stuff I prefer to be by myself. If I am heading somewhere its nice to have my lady with me.
  • July 30, 2012 7:48 AM PDT
    Its good either way.....I frequently ride with a mob on a mission, we may be visiting a clubhouse somewhere, you dont take any woman with you on that kind of run...

If I am on a personal mission meeting up with a club to form alliances with or just visiting, then I ride alone, its best to do it that way.....

But on a day out ride, going anywhere just because you can, or its there, then thats the time I want someone on my back.....

When I am doing what I did on the video I added in a message I will only ride like that on my own, when a few of us get together we start weaving traffic and undercutting cagers on motorways etc I wont have anyone with me...I may be crazy-but I ride so different with someone behind me...lol...

I aint got anyone at the moment though, so hey, alone again I ride.....lol.....
    • 5420 posts
    July 30, 2012 8:31 AM PDT
    I almost always ride two up with Laura right behind me. I not only enjoy her company on the ride itself, I also like her there with me where ever we are headed. There are times I will ride with just the boys, or even just by myself to get out and get away, but most of the time you will see the two of us on the Road King.
  • July 30, 2012 8:50 AM PDT
    Just depends if it's a ladyfriend or the wife that is riding back there! lol
  • July 30, 2012 10:16 AM PDT
    just a thought from one who rides on the back... I enjoy riding my own, but I still enjoy being behind my man on his and just enjoying not being in control
  • July 30, 2012 11:37 AM PDT
    I have to admit I do miss riding on back of my husband. I miss him reaching back and patting my leg as if to say, "My Woman". I also miss him leaning back on his "pillows"...

On the other hand riding my own bike thrills me too. I do park my bike when we get to a run and ride with him to dinner with friends.
    • 1855 posts
    July 30, 2012 12:40 PM PDT
    With Gypsy it's always 2-up. These days I wouldn't have it any other way

Peace
    • 611 posts
    July 30, 2012 2:59 PM PDT
    i do both... it is a little more on the edge when i'm alone... not stupid, just with a lil more edge.
    i usually pick a direction and ride till i'm done... or a half tank, whichever comes first... when i get to the 'turn around' i always stop and stretch and do a little walkabout. that's when i miss her... feeling her behind me is comforting and it calms me. i ride much safer with her, more cautious... but i'll still grab a handful o throttle... cuz she likes that too!
    so, yeah i like riding solo... and i like riding with her...
    edge "EitherWay" walker
  • July 30, 2012 3:41 PM PDT
    I enjoy it both, with a passenger and without. When riding with our church crew I love the two up. Sometimes those weekend fun rides with the wife are special.
    Then there are the times when alone and I hunt out those tight twisty roads that the do it all FZ shines on. It's fun to lean that pup without having the wife tap me as if to say, "Hey, this is too much" lol
    • 3006 posts
    July 30, 2012 5:52 PM PDT
    I enjoy solo as much as I enjoy riding w/my sweetheart,each has its own rewards.

Like LCStrat said there are times when ya just want to open her up on a back country road & not worry abt a smack on ur helmet from a frightened honey on the back cause your scraping floorboards thru the twistys
    • 0 posts
    July 31, 2012 6:47 AM PDT
    95% solo, only because my wife likes riding her own too much.
    I do enjoy her riding on the back, but it doesn't happen often.
  • July 31, 2012 11:36 AM PDT
    After thinking about it, I guess my question is similar to asking whether we guys prefer to sit at the bar alone or enjoy the company of a sexy girl. (I mean that in the most complimentary way.) In those terms, I really should be riding two-up far more often!
  • July 31, 2012 12:42 PM PDT
    If the lady riding behind you is anything like me, it will be a very short ride;-(Just cannot for the life of me kick back and relax?
  • July 31, 2012 3:26 PM PDT
    That's why I have the sidecar rig. For those days that the missus wants to go along. She have some vertigo issues that prevent here from riding behind me. I like it both ways. (Sounds kinda tacky when I put it that way). A lot of evenings, I set out on my own just to get some wind in my face. One in awhile she wants the same, so we take the sidecar. She tried valiantly to ride with me two-up, but after almost falling off a couple of times she told me to get a sidecar rig. It isn't new - but we just pop around a few miles once in awhile. Take it to church off and on. The little kids at church love rides around the block. (What's fun about that is we go to a little country church - around the block is around a full section, which makes it a 4 mile ride).
  • August 2, 2012 2:41 AM PDT
    Ole - I hadn't thought about the sidecar. Never had one. Probably a really cool option, and I'm sure you get lots of looks from the kids.

BlacktopGypsy - maybe you're just riding with the wrong dudes!
  • August 2, 2012 3:10 AM PDT
    I love riding behind my man and for years it was my only choice. Now I have my own bike and we ride side by side a lot and once and a while I will ride on the back of his just to relax, enjoy the scenery and hold him. He rides a lot by himself or with buddies too. I haven't got the confidence yet to ride anywhere without him with me. I am sure by next summer I will be there and can take some "just me" rides to get away from it all.
  • August 2, 2012 4:24 AM PDT
    We both ride our own bikes and always have so we ride one up, but almost always with each other.
  • August 2, 2012 11:46 AM PDT
    @Iron HorseBiker.....you probably have a great point seeing as my problem is with somebody doing a City of Angels moment with their head thrown back in the breeze along with their arms and me looking down at their closed eyes wanting to strangle the crap out of them.....but knowing I'd die alot faster.......yeap that was one big mess when we got to the bottom of the mountain.I'm sure the camp ground neighbors were wondering what had happened out on the road.That day forward I swore off two up unless I had a really bad feeling about a group ride, which later proved to be fatality.Some days you listen to that quite still voice and others listen too,when they ask which way do you want to go!
  • August 2, 2012 2:53 PM PDT
    Riding two up is great and makes for alot better time later in the tent because you have spent all day rubbing on one another.
    • 58 posts
    August 2, 2012 4:54 PM PDT
    I still ride mostly solo but do really enjoy those times with the misses. LC, I know what you mean about the pokes in the ribs. Heck, if the kid and I get a little hot off the starts I can get poked....
    • 1161 posts
    August 3, 2012 8:02 AM PDT
    As a newer rider I'm glad to be solo. I get nervous with others on the back.
    • 567 posts
    August 3, 2012 2:24 PM PDT
    I do a lot of 2-up with my wife and WE enjoy it a lot especially when we go out on runs with our Vulcan Riders friends. But occasionally, I like to get out on a solo run just to clear my widdle brain. I also ride solo on almost all of my Patriot Guard mission because they happen during the work week when (unfortunately) she's at work on her 8 to 5 job.
  • August 3, 2012 5:43 PM PDT
    I go solo but then again its only me and every so often one of my friends will want to go riding with me so I'll take them. Other than that its just me. have a great one! "T"
    • 9 posts
    August 4, 2012 1:32 AM PDT
    I used to LOVE ridin' behind my ol man. Until, he decided to drink far to much without regard to his wife on the back.
    We had two close calls, and then one bad accident. That was it for me. I decided right then and there, I had to have control of my own destiny. (in-as-much as God would allow) To this day, even tho, I enjoy ridin' behind, I find that the "trust" factor just ain't there, anymore. AND...after I started ridin' my own, I really never felt the "need" to do so.
    I mean, I'd always riden dirt bikes, and even had a basket case, for a time. But when I bought "Blue", brand new, and started ridin' her...there was no goin' "BACK". lol

Ride Free
    Tweek