turning

• February 22, 2012 11:19 AM PST
    When I bought my bike a few years back I always went out with an experienced rider. It gave me confidence while on the roads. We rode a lot of back roads and some easy curves. I road dirt bikes for years before I got my street bike and the biggest learning curve I had was getting used to the weight of the bike when stopping. Oh yeah and then there was the trying to steer it like a dirt bike.........hmm, don't work. What a rude awakening when I forgot to lean. Now my husband and I go on every back stagecoach and mountian road we can find. The more you ride, the more confidence you get, the more it will be enjoyable. As far as the traffic, I live in So. Calif. Not many places without traffic. Even on the streets and roads there are thousands of cars everywhere you go. I try to ride with a partner but often I ride my bike to work or alone when there is nobody else to ride with.
  • February 22, 2012 11:25 AM PST
    And what Tumbles said about lowering the bike is absolutely right. My bike is lowered and I have to slow down to almost a stop on speedbumps and when your foot peg drags around those mountian roads it will get your attention real quick
  • February 22, 2012 12:42 PM PST
    We bought a 750 shadow late in the summer, for our sons to ride, mine knows how, and to teach hubbys , and for me to also ride, but before i can ride it adjustments will need to me made, while my feet are flat, i can barely reach when the handlebars are turned, so either different bars or seat. My son tells me i will like it better than the sporty. Hubby doesnt care which one i ride so long as i am happy with it. But I am wondering the sporty and the shadow have about the same ground clearance, will the shadow have problems with high speed curves? I dont think it has been lowered.
  • February 22, 2012 2:09 PM PST
    dollysgizmo wrote...
    I am a newer rider  ,   while i have had my license for over a year,  I havent been able to get a lot of seat time in .  I am still scared of traffic,   but  my question is  why do I have trouble  left turning on the move,  no trouble from a stop,  and   I  go way too  wide  on right turns from a stop and  no problem with rolling right turns?  Am I the only one with this problem?  And any advice to help me?  I took the course and know  the "look where you want to be"  .  Thanks

When you look to where you want to be, how specific are you? Aim small, miss small! Don't look at the WHOLE lane, look at which 1/3 section you want to end up in...or even better, what 6" strip you want your front tire to be in.

When you are riding down a fairly straight road, do you stay tracked to one side of the lane or the other...or do you use the whole lane?
    Don't wander. Assume you are riding in a group, even when you are riding by yourself. Divide the lane into thirds, and choose which third to ride in...and the center should be your last choice, as that is where most of the grease is. I generally opt for the left, because where I live, the right side of the road usually has more bumps and potholes. So, I tend to track right along the double yellow center line, but I know some people get nervous doing that with oncoming traffic. My best suggestion is after you mentally divide the lane into thirds, you ride along the imaginary line that separates the far left third with the center third. When you make a turn, track right along that line.

As far as your specific issues with turning, I think someone else already mentioned the key element: your speed. If you are going slower than 20 MPH, then you are able to steer your front wheel, and drive it around a corner. However, if you are going faster than 22 mph, then you do not want to turn the handlebars or try to DRIVE the bike. Then you want to counter steer and let the bike lean into the turn. The exact speed of where things change is usually in the 20-22 mph range, so you'll have to get a feel for your own bike.

To get a feel for your bike: When you are on a road which is fairly straight, practice countersteering by swerving around spots on the road or other imaginary obstacles... change your tracking position from the far left to the far right, but do it with intention. This is actually a handy skill...as it prepares you for being able to swerve around actual obstacles if you ever need to. So, you do not necessarily need to go to an empty lot to practice...find ways to practice even when out for a regular ride.

I have trouble  left turning on the move,  no trouble from a stop
    I  go way too  wide  on right turns from a stop and  no problem with rolling right turns

What exactly is your left turn trouble? If turning left from a stop is not a problem, I am thinking you are starting out slowly. Since you have one lane to cross over before the lane you want to turn onto, you have the chance to get the wheels and motor spinning before you steer around the corner. However, on rolling turns, your speed becomes key. If you are on a road with a 35-45 mph speed limit, then you are going too fast to STEER around the corner and will need to countersteer. But leaning a bike into a 90° turn at 40 mph may result in sparks flying as metal parts drag along the ground.  You have probably heard that you should slow down before you start a turn, and throttle up as you go through it. Brake when on approach, while the bike is straight and upright so you don't have to risk braking while in the turn. However, if you slow down to below 20 mph you should not then try and countersteer, unless you are ready to throttle up! I suggest you slow down to 25 mph as you see a left turn approaching, then throttle up through it, so you end up back at 35 or 45 mph once the turn is completed -- unless the turn was marked specifically as a 15 mph turn. Practice left turns by tracking to the far left of your lane, and looking specifically to stay on the far left of the lane you are turning on to. If you cannot see around the turn, then slow down to 15 mph and steer into it until you get a visual that it is safe to throttle back up to normal speed. If you do have visibility around a turn, then try leaning the bike into it at 25 mph. If you are going too wide, then you need to lean the bike into the turn more. Lean the bike by pushing down with your left hand, shifting your body weight over toward the left, or a little bit of both.

The right turns can get tricky from a dead stop if you are tracking to the far right side of your lane. They get trickier if you want to stay to the right after making the right turn, so practice doing them that way. If you enjoy riding in a group, it is a good skill to have! What makes it difficult from a stop is that you need to start turning almost immediately, before the bike has built up momentum and you get the gyroscopic effect from all the spinning parts (wheels and motor). So, don't let the clutch out all the way. Cheat the clutch so you can give it a little more throttle to spin the motor but not letting it transfer power to the rear wheel. Allowing the motor to rev a little will get things spinning, and the gyroscopic effect will keep you upright as you steer the bike slowly around the corner...just keep your speed below 20mph. You can practice your slow-speed balance as you approach red lights. Go as slow as possible, yet keep your feet up and keep the bike balanced...hold the clutch halfway in and rev the engine a bit. But be ready to drop a foot just in case you misjudged how much you needed to turn the handlebars to stay upright.

• 0 posts
    February 22, 2012 4:01 PM PST
    one thing that I have not seen, that an instructor went through with my wife, (she was having the same rt turn from stop problems) was to practice dragging the rear brake slightly when turning right from a stop.
    When you are taking off to the right you have a feeling the bike is going to lean to far.
    Dragging the rear brake helps because if you apply more brake, the bike stands up, release it and the bike leans more. So when you are taking off you can control the lean by modulating the rear brake. It worked for her. She always took 2 lanes to turn right from a stop and now can do it comfortably in 1.
  • February 23, 2012 12:49 AM PST
    Ground Clearence and Lean angles are tow seperate things. Lean angles are how far over the bike can lean without going past the point of no return. Ground clearence is when the bike frame hits the ground such as going up and down driveways or over speed bumbs. No the shadows don't have problems at higher speeds. However when you lower the bike it will change the lean angles and ground clearence. If ya go and take ride like a pro or listen watch whatever is you choice one of the first things they discuss while teaching turning is not to lower a bike for it changes how the bike is designed to be handled. The Sportster has sport in the name meaning the bike is Sporty like a sports car. Its like comparing a MiniVan to a Corvette. So, which one did your daddy teach to drive first? have a great one! "T"
  • February 23, 2012 1:04 AM PST
    GaryTJ wrote...
    one thing that I have not seen, that an instructor went through with my wife, (she was having the same rt turn from stop problems) was to practice dragging the rear brake slightly when turning right from a stop.
    When you are taking off to the right you have a feeling the bike is going to lean to far.
    Dragging the rear brake helps because if you apply more brake, the bike stands up, release it and the bike leans more. So when you are taking off you can control the lean by modulating the rear brake. It worked for her. She always took 2 lanes to turn right from a stop and now can do it comfortably in 1.

Yup!  What I said....its a mandatory part of the riding test to learn to use the back brake for cornering at low speeds in Britain!!!
  • February 23, 2012 1:04 AM PST
    Nah, you're not the only one. Leaning that heavy bike is intimidating when you are relatively new. I think that it's natural to want to keep it totally straight and upright. Even though everyone is saying practice, practice, practice, there're right. Try going on a longer than usual run...like all day, and see how you feel at the end of it. I like what my hubby says about rides like that, "You almost feel like your bike is an extention of you." Once you get more confidence you'll be able to lean your bike better.
    • 1 posts
    February 23, 2012 1:09 AM PST
    I don't understand your question..do you mean leaning left in sweeping turns or turning left across traffic...I liked the counter steering technique..its funny but as soon as you start riding you do that anyways..its the natural way..unless your riding an outfit, then you turn the bars to the left or right. My advice is stay outa car parks. whats the point if you can ride get out on the main roads. Riding in traffic is a state of mind. perfect your 360 degree vision techniques, and you shouldn't be caught unawares by cagers..there this other technique called gouging...where you gouge bits of the road out with the frame...mountain roads are good for it. Just remember until you are perfectly happy with your riding skills stay in the right lane, or to the right of the lane and not in the dirt on single lane set up..the lefthand experience will sorty it self out with more experience..I personally favour righthand bends myself...bujt then I am just as comfy doing the lefthanders as well i just get more speed coming outa a righthander...
  • March 4, 2012 1:04 AM PST
    Ms. Dolly I'm checking in to see how your practicing is going, so how goes it, has more practice help you feel comfortalbe or atleast makig tighter turns. Just wondering if any of us help you, have a great one "T"
  • March 4, 2012 1:04 AM PST
    Ms. Dolly I'm checking in to see how your practicing is going, so how goes it, has more practice help you feel comfortalbe or atleast makig tighter turns. Just wondering if any of us help you, have a great one "T"
  • March 4, 2012 3:40 AM PST
    T I am in Iowa and while we have had a few nice days, I have to take the bike out the alley, which would mean rim deep in mud. Hoping for next week, supposed to be nice , and alley is getting dry. Unless it snows again tonight. I am going to use the hints that have been posted. I wll let you know how it goes. And Jonesy. wide sweeping left turns are ok,. I mean the ones where you dont have to stop because nothing is coming and turning on to a side street. I want to almost stop before i turn. for some reason just the rolling left turn. rolling rights are ok, this became more of an issue with the sporty, I think I get nervous from the feel of the muchheavier bike than the little yamaha I had. I know I can over come it with practice.
  • March 13, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
    Ms. Dolly Just checking in to see if ya had some time to practice and are able to work on them turning issures. I was thinking about it and said hum, maybe if you go to a practice area and practice what you were taught, then maybe video tape them you might be able to see what the problem is. Its hard to fix the mechanics of the turn if ya can't see what is going on during your practice of turning. Motorcycling isn't easy, and it is harder as ya get older to learn and master it. Its a learning curve thing, and the understanding of pain and death that tends to have us retink our actions. Well, hoping that all is working our for you have a great day! "T"
  • March 13, 2012 6:13 AM PDT
    Turning at speed...
    Police schooling for "Wheelies": "Point your chin (exaggerated head turn) at the point in which you want your bike to come out of a turn..."
  • March 13, 2012 9:41 AM PDT
    Interesting, very good responses to the problems (not real ones just inexperience) that Ms. Dolly mentioned, that's what I like about this forum. Good luck to you Ms. Dolly, T I hope you had fun in Charleston, I love this place. You Guys/Girls keep the shiny or not side up...
  • March 17, 2012 11:05 AM PDT
    Had a chance to ride a little, and one thing i found i am doing wrong is releasing the clutch too quick, the sporty is faster than the 250 i had. Some corners are easier than others. and i turned right in my car to get out of my neighborhood, and i take that corner wide with the car too. Something about the corner, Going to keep practicing. I am going to a parking lot when i get a chance and practice the rear brake dragging, I really think it is the wieght of the bike that makes me nervous. It almost felt like learning to ride again on the sporster. I am also focusing more on the part of the lane i want to be in. that also helps, I am even finding myself exagerating the head turn in my car lol thanks all of you for the advice. I need more practice and that will build my confidence .
  • March 17, 2012 11:59 AM PDT
    Earlier today, my friend and I traded bikes. He rode my 99 softtail, and I rode his MV Augusta.

Every corner we took I watched him go REAL WIDE in the turns. He has been riding for years and years longer than I, but I don't think he rides as much as I do, so I have probably logged more miles.

The thing is, I lean into corners, even if I was at a complete stop before going into it. If you want to turn right, then just push that right grip down toward the road. Turning left? Push down on the left grip.

You can stay in first gear, but you can lean a bike below 20 mph. But you DO need to be throttling up through the turn.

Go practice in a parking lot!
  • March 17, 2012 8:10 PM PDT
    Dolly, if uncomfortable going that way out of your house go another way. I did that for a year!

Pushing down is a great tip! But on turning, you may think your turning your head but are you LOOKING that way also?

I'm still guilty and tend to focus on traffic instead of my actions in & around town.

You're on the right track tho!! GO FOR IT!

• March 24, 2012 9:49 AM PDT
    Dolly, how's it going this week. Did ya get out and practice? There's something called and ezclutch if ya have problems controlling the clutch. Maybe build up hand finge strenght or practice releasing slowly, dumping the clutch well ya might not want to do that, but practice releasing it slowly, first in the driveway then in motion. Hope that helps have a great one! "T"
  • March 24, 2012 2:55 PM PDT
    yeah and it is better with releasing the clutch slower, i was just forgetting that i dont want to release as fast on a corner as with a take off straight. the sporty takes less clutch than the 250 i had, still a little wide on some right turns, and a little slower on the rolling lefts, but it is better and will keep getting better with practice. Thanks everyone for the tips. they have really helped,
  • March 26, 2012 12:35 PM PDT
    Keep looking where ya want to go, imagine your knees duck taped to the tank, meaning keep them in against the tank and release slow. have a great one "T"
    • 1 posts
    March 27, 2012 2:56 PM PDT
    Hey Dolly, I like the advice above. your riding will improve over time, most people have a preferrence in cornering..I noticed you said left turns yet didn't mention right turns..you obviously have no trouble there. I take it that you live in the states. So you ride on the right hand side of the road..obviously. Alot of people get kinda ansy when starting out cause you are actually leaning towards oncoming traffic. it gets into your head..what if i lean to far and am too close to the centre line I'll hit an oncoming car with my head or shoulder...the worry is usually an unconscious thought, but it can be still there... line your corners up from the outset each and evry time. Eventually your rythem will smooth out and you'll enjoy yourself. Forget car parks...get on the back roads..with a center line..or mountain roads..take your time there is never any hurry...like they say to new pilots...stick and rudder control...with bikes its throttle and rider position..soon you'll be dropping knees into corners left and right like the pros...
  • April 5, 2012 3:54 AM PDT
    Alright Ms. Dolly just checking back to see if the slow release is working for ya! have a great one! "T"
  • May 15, 2012 12:19 PM PDT
    Just thanking you guys again, been practicing and the turning is much better, still wide once in a while on the right turn from a stop, but not too often now. turning the head, slower release on the clutch and the lowering has really helped, getting my confidence back .. thank all