How long have you been riding?

• February 9, 2011 12:40 AM PST
    1957 on a Wizzer belt drive, 1958 on my new Allstate 125 cost me $28.00 a month from Sears. Lost the end of my L/index finger in the chain in '59.
  • February 12, 2011 2:30 AM PST
    I'ts been so long ago that I don't remember When I Started Riding, But I remember what it was A Trogan mini bike
    With 5 hp B/S motor, I went thru 2 motors lol
    next was a 650 Yahmaha Chopper, a 1960's 900 sportster, 750 Honda in 1972, a 450 honda,
    1979 GL 1000, 1989- 1500 Goldwing and Now a 2008-1800 Goldwing and a 2000 HD FLSTS Springer
    There was a Few more in there that I can't remember you know CRS (can't remember s--t)

• April 15, 2011 9:11 AM PDT
    A briggs and straton powered mini bike that my cousin let me ride. My parents forbid me to ride a motorcycle (it was for my own good) bought a old Suzuki GS 1000 in 1996 then a 1200 Suzuki Bandit not long after. Became a cop, almost arrested on Bandit with wife on back. Sold Bandit the next week. Went to Harley Davidson police motorcycle school fell in love with Harleys became a motorcycle cop for years. Went without motorcycle for years. Wife wanted to go riding one day and purchased first Harley a 2003 Road King police model in January of this year. Obsessed with riding since
  • April 16, 2011 3:36 PM PDT
    1984 legally (young pup)
    • 9 posts
    April 24, 2011 3:48 AM PDT
    I have been riding my own since 1985. My first bike was a Yamaha RX50 Special.
  • April 24, 2011 5:24 AM PDT
    We had to hold up the bike for each other and give a push, we were too short to touch the ground on that 50cc Whatever. That was back in I think, around 1962. There have been a lot of bikes and a lot of miles since then.
  • May 27, 2011 4:55 AM PDT
    1968. Yamaha 175. Dirt only. Bought my first street bike in 1972. Been riding ever since.
  • July 1, 2011 7:47 AM PDT
    It all started on gravel roads out in the country on a home made scooter my Grandfather gave me when I was 12, that makes it about 50 years. had a couple trail bikes and a honda, 3 tripumhs, and on my 4th harley as far as street bikes go. Boy did he ever start something with that scooter. Thanks
    granddad.

• July 1, 2011 9:19 AM PDT
    quit booze in 76 started riding in 78 at age 38..first bike was a Honda Hawk 400cc twin and have owned about 25 after that of all types...got 30K on "phred" (phatred) on the left and it has prolly been the best bike I have owned..for me.
  • July 1, 2011 3:09 PM PDT
    Started out on dirt bikes like most, I guess I was 7 so that makes it about 1970. Started out on a bike few will have heard of, a Gemini 50, imported from China or someplace like that, sold at White Front stores (who even remembers those?). Cool little bike, very similar to the Honda Mini Trail 50's everyone had, fold down handlbars and all. Was a 4 speed though, with a clutch, as apposed to the no cluch 3 speed of the Honda, that 4th gear let you walk away from those Hondas. First street back was about 1982, was a Suzuki GS 650. Got the 1st Harley in Nov of 01, still riding her.
  • July 1, 2011 3:15 PM PDT
    Ron, my brother had that exact same Honda 350 you have in the picture, his was blue. Same time my dad had a Honda 100 just like it, single cyclinder and that chrome heat gaurd on the pipe that was all but useless. Man my dad took me places on that bike, we road the PCH betwen Carlsbad down to Del Mar all the time, my feet could hardly reach the back pegs. he moved up to the Honda 175 a short time later, whick looked a lot more like that 350. Wonder what my brother did with that old 350.
    • 1161 posts
    July 1, 2011 4:01 PM PDT
    Was a passenger since I was old enough to hold on, but been a rider from about 1996 Still waiting on getting my first bike.
  • July 2, 2011 1:34 PM PDT
    My first ride was in the winter of 1975, on the back of my cousin's dirt bike somewhere in the middle of Arizona. (See the pic, my dad had me pose for it.) 30 years later, I was in my first motorcycle accident, and after discovering that I can survive hitting asphalt at 80 mph, I decided it was time to ride my own.

I got my first bike in June of 2006, it was a 2003 Dyna Low Rider (Anniversary Edition), 88ci. I no longer have that bike, but I did put over 51,000 miles on it before I killed it. I have since acquired a 1999 Softtail Custom (80ci Evo), a 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone (1200cc) and a 2008 Electra Glide Police (Anniversary Edition), 103ci.

Since riding my own, I am close to 100,000 miles. I haven't added it all up yet. I have put over 32,000 miles on the glide since I got it 16 months ago, though.

And my dad still has me pose the same way for a picture of me on every bike I have. LOL

• 5420 posts
    August 25, 2012 2:43 PM PDT
    Just going through some old pictures and I found a couple of my first street-legal motorcycle.  You only had to be 15 years old to ride on the street in FL back then.  And yes, that's ME!!!
  • August 26, 2012 8:54 AM PDT
    Darn it Lucky... Little Hippy kid eh?...lol...

I think its close to.........3 weeks I been riding now, may even be 21 days.....on my.....125cc SR Yamaha...lol...
  • August 26, 2012 10:27 AM PDT
    My dad bought me a used Rupp minibike back in 1980 when I was 10 yrs old. Had fun with that. moved on up to bigger and better things as the years rolled by. Currently own a Fatboy and a Heritage, both with 20in. Apes.
    Support your local 1% club. L&R
    • 81 posts
    August 26, 2012 1:01 PM PDT
    Started on a mini bike back in 72 or 73 (about 8 yrs old) After I blew it up I rode friends bikes every now and then. Bought my first one a year ago , a 2007 Yamaha VStar 1100.Then in January made the mistake of going into a HD dealer(always wanted one). Traded that one in on a 2012 FXDC Super Glide.
    • 9 posts
    August 26, 2012 2:37 PM PDT

When my parents married in 1955, they already had two daughters, from my Mom's previous marriage.  Then they had my brother in '57.  When Mom was "expecting me", (they didn't say pregnant, in those days...lol) my Dad very vocally proclaimed it was goin' to be another son.
    Well...needless to say, he was a little bit disappointed when I popped out in '59.  No worries, he said, "I'll raise this one up "right".  By right, he meant, like a boy...cause from the time I could walk, I was learnin' how to ride anything with two wheels, shoot anything that could be shot, wrench on anything that, well..could be wrenched on, and cuss with the best of 'em. LMAO..(see?) 

I started out on go-carts, in 1965, with my brother Mike. (Slider Mike, here on CF).  Mike got all the latest gear.  The sweet two stroke McColloch engine cart, eventually to become a dual engine. I got to be the "fringe" for a while.  That is until I pissed in my Dad's ear for so long, he caved in, and let me race too.  My first race, I took off with the starter still attached...but that's another story.  Then we graduated to mini-bikes, and mud puppies.  Then Yamaha dirt bikes. And I used to ride a friends "Husky" around a sweet dirt track in his side "yard". (About 10 acres of hilly, dirt track...)
    That was in 1971-72.  I started high school the following year, and didn't get on another bike for about 5 years. During that time, I was into Drag Racing the 1/4 mile drags, and workin' on cars, first in Toledo, then in Dayton. (Kil-Kare, Xenia, Ohio)

But, in '77, the year I got married (for the first time...) my husband and I bought a 72 1000cc Sporty.  A basket case, that we restored (as best we could with our limited experience..haha) and rode that sucker, til we divorced in '80.  One of the reasons that was so short a duration, was because, THAT was when I knew I was a BIKER.  My ex...not-so-much.  He came from a "wealthy family", and they shunned the life-style, and therefore...ME.  They didn't like me to begin with, I was from the "wrong side of the tracks", and that just confirmed it for them.  Well, HE was a pussy.  Wouldn't stand up for his wife! So his WIFE?  Stood up for herself.  Stood up, walked out, got on the bike...and split!!!  LOL 
    Bad thing was, I didn't think that thru, cause I didn't have the "resources" to maintain the lifestyle, for a while. And the divorce set me back cash wize..so, I had to sell that bike, but I gained a lot of self confidence.  It would be another few years before I owned "Blue".  My first brand new Harley.  And that was a love affair from jump. It broke my heart when I had to sell her, cause by that time I had my son, and I couldn't be "selfish", anymore.  I co-owned, one more bike, tho I didn't know that (long story), but I'll NEVER make THAT mistake again...

LONG STORY LONGER, I've been without a bike, for a little over a year now, so in answer to the original question: "HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN RIDING"? 
    Well...if you don't count the toddlin' two years, or the five, formative, High School years..

that would make it...A TAD OVER 40 years.  Damn, I hate givin' away my age, like that...LMFAO.

Ride Free 
    Tweek
    **Pics below are of me, on Blue, the day I got her HOME!  1991 XLH Custom, and that was my son, in his kindergarten pic...Awwweee so sweet.  And the kid ain't bad, either...Bwahaaahaaaa

• August 27, 2012 12:44 AM PDT
    It was an old Honda pedal moped when i was like 12-13...  So almost 20 yrs ago... DANG!.. Various dirt bikes and others followed... I remember this one the most because its the one I spent the most time on...
    similar to this one..
    • 1 posts
    August 27, 2012 1:12 AM PDT
    Does it count if you took the neighbors motorcycle and went for a ride by your self? If so I was 4. and that was a long time ago.
  • August 27, 2012 1:22 AM PDT
    I started when I was I guess 14-15 on my friend's bike which was a Yamaha 100 cc....used to ride it around the city....no helmets, no jackets, no gloves... and in flip flops...and sometimes even without footwear if I'm just going a couple of blocks and too lazy
    Got my own bike, again a 100 cc Honda a few years later.
    Also used to ride a few other bikes my friends' owned, but none were more than 250 cc.

Hey KEYMASTER.....I remember riding one of those as well....I guess maybe that should count as my first bike since I started off on one of these maybe a few more year before that Yamaha!
    Man! we used to have a hard time pedaling that to start!
  • August 27, 2012 1:42 AM PDT
    BusaRider wrote...

Hey KEYMASTER.....I remember riding one of those as well....I guess maybe that should count as my first bike since I started off on one of these maybe a few more year before that Yamaha!
    Man! we used to have a hard time pedaling that to start!

Yeah man those things were tough to pedal no?  I remember we would just push it while one of us would pedal like crazy to get it running...  The good ole days...LOL

• 1855 posts
    August 27, 2012 3:35 AM PDT
    48 years. Don't know if at 64 I can make another 48 but I'm gonna give it a go.

Peace
  • August 28, 2012 2:14 AM PDT
    I'm not too sure when I started riding or even what it was but I think it was some time in the 70's. I do remember it was the first time I crashed too (dang fence wouldn't move). After that I was hooked. I started racing dirt bikes and three wheelers in the mid 80's. My first street bike was given to me by my brother or should I say the parts for a street bike. It was a 1976 RD400. I the late 90's I owned a KZ400. I stopped riding for a while but never lost the itch. After taking my wife for a ride while on vacation about 4 years ago she got hooked and allowed me to start riding again (she is the boss) so I bought a new 09 Kaw Vulcan 900. Now to get her to get her own.
  • August 28, 2012 2:35 AM PDT
    1976 on a Kawaski 100, then a Kawaski 350, a Hondamatic 450, Kawaski H1 500, Kawaski GPZ 1100, Honda Interceptor, Ducati Monster, Triumph Speed Triple, Harley Road Glide, and more dirt bikes than I can remember, sure has been fun