How long have you been riding?

• August 28, 2012 3:12 AM PDT
    How Long have I been riding? Long enough to loose a few really good friends, Long enough that its been over half my life, Long enough that I've met some amazing people and seen some amazing sights, long enough that I've almost forgotten what its like to be the new kid on the block, long enough to know better. Long enough to have learnt that there was a much better way to go about learning, but not long enough to realize that I've still got things to learn and I'm often surprised by who teaches me those lessons. Long enough to go from riding 100 miles an hour with my hair on fire to slowing down and enjoying smelling them flowers. Long enough that I now realize I don't have to prove anything nor do I need anyone's approval. Long enough that I don't remember the world without a motorcycle. Long enough to say It's over the 25 year mark but not enough to say 30 years. Have a great one! "T"
  • August 28, 2012 3:47 AM PDT
    Tumbles wrote...
    How Long have I been riding? Long enough to loose a few really good friends, Long enough that its been over half my life, Long enough that I've met some amazing people and seen some amazing sights, long enough that I've almost forgotten what its like to be the new kid on the block, long enough to know better. Long enough to have learnt that there was a much better way to go about learning, but not long enough to realize that I've still got things to learn and I'm often surprised by who teaches me those lessons. Long enough to go from riding 100 miles an hour with my hair on fire to slowing down and enjoying smelling them flowers. Long enough that I now realize I don't have to prove anything nor do I need anyone's approval. Long enough that I don't remember the world without a motorcycle. Long enough to say It's over the 25 year mark but not enough to say 30 years. Have a great one! "T"

Amen, It has alway's been about the journey and not the destination with me, but it was always the thrill of the ride as you can tell from my list of bikes I liked to ride quick (ok sometimes fast), and after seeing a few wrecks and getting hit myself(by another bike from behind), I decided better to go fast on the track, so a couple of track days at Grattan and Road America told me that maybe it was time to just slow down altogether, and then hand and shoulder surgery made it so it was hard to ride bent over with pressure on the wrist, and so the Hooligan bikes went acutually my oldest son is riding the Speed Triple and I ride the couch (as he calls It) and I like it
  • August 28, 2012 12:40 PM PDT
    Been on a bike my whole life basically in one way or another. From dirt bikes to four wheelers. My first bike was a Honda shadow. But currently without. Hoping to get another one next spring.
    • 12 posts
    August 28, 2012 12:41 PM PDT
    been riding for 30+ years. started on a Motobecane moped at 14. have traveled from West Palm beach, Fla to outside Montreal Canada. all total over 200,000 miles...and still counting
  • August 28, 2012 12:46 PM PDT
    just a kid in the 60's and against dads warning to my brothers, that the bike was to big for me to be riding.....well you know the rest of the story.Never tell a little girl she can't.If I remember correctly that ugly yellow straight seat bike was I think a Suzuki 150 or 175.Last words my big brother said, "Don't hit that front brake! " Yeap, he said the word don't and I did in the midst of a turn in sandy soil.I'm sure I still have a scar on the back of my right calf from that hell bent ride.BTW, dad always pulled in the drive right in the middle of the fall out, otherwise mom would have killed all four of us.Dad at least waited for the dust to settle so to speak before he wore our tails out.Yes that included the seven year old with the muffler burn on her calf!
  • August 28, 2012 2:03 PM PDT
    Well, I can tell you it was quiet awhile ago and my first ride was an Orange KREIDLER.
    • 823 posts
    August 28, 2012 3:40 PM PDT
    Always and forever
    • 80 posts
    August 29, 2012 12:45 AM PDT
    Started riding at 17 in 1962 on an old flathead Indian. Mostly dirt roads around Del Rio, TX then. Got a 48 Pan in the 70's and haven't stopped with the HD's since.
  • September 5, 2012 2:11 AM PDT
    Started about 1965, on a mini-bike with a washing machine motor on it. Now 2012 "your going to get killed on one of those things" Well I only get to die once!  How do you wanna die?
  • September 5, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
     For Lucky, one of my current rides.
    • 5420 posts
    September 5, 2012 3:40 AM PDT
    Sweet!!! If I wasn't so far away I would come by just to sit on it and bring back those memories!