SeaFoam - Good or Bad?

• November 10, 2010 12:59 PM PST
    Any thoughts on this product?

Have many of you used it?

I've been reading/researching this stuff, and it seems to be the best thing for your bike (inside & out) , since the invention of Slice Bread!
    • 9 posts
    November 10, 2010 2:08 PM PST
    I've been using this stuff for going on 20 years & swear by it! When condensation is a problem ( the boat) a bit added to the gas & smoothes right out!
    • 5417 posts
    November 10, 2010 2:54 PM PST
    Never even heard of it until just now. I just read up on it and it does sound like some pretty amazing stuff - provided their claims are true. I'm interested to know how many have tried it in or on their motorcycle?
  • November 10, 2010 3:52 PM PST
    Yea Lucky,....I really don't remember how I came upon it,....in anycase, after some moderate reading ....I soon went to YT and listened (watched) people applying it or using it....despite my bike having relatively low miles (7500) , I was considering using it....
    and thought others may have tried it and was hoping to get their results.....
    Dave
  • November 10, 2010 10:47 PM PST
    I have also been using Seafoam for many years. Add it to every other tank of gas. It does a great job in cleaning the carbs and keeping the bike running smooth. I also when winterizing the bikes drain about a half quart of oil then add a half of quart of seafoam and run the bike until hot. Then drain then change oil /seafoam and filter. Even if your oil is clean, after you run seafoam through the engine you would not believe how dirty it comes out. Just cleans all the sludge from the engine. Have been doing this for years with no problem and great results. Restoring a 78 goldwing and after doing this a couple times the engine looks almost new when I was tearing it down. I swear by the stuff.
  • November 10, 2010 11:57 PM PST
    I have also used Seafoam in a chainsaw that had set for 2 yrs with mixed fuel in the tank.. Added to the fuel and let it set for a week. Choke flooded the engine and let it set for a week. Dumped the tank filled and changed the plug and started. ???? Added to new fuel and no problem.. Did Run the saw empty this time before storeing..
  • November 12, 2010 12:21 AM PST
    Ok ....thanks to you all for the responses.... I was just a bit hesitant on investing in something that seemed so "one fix does it all' type of thing.....
    • 0 posts
    November 12, 2010 4:44 AM PST
    My intake valves started tapping around 30k on my v-star, I got one can and added 1/3 of the can to each of the next 3 tankfulls of gas and the tapping went away and the motor was noticeably smoother.

And as Badirish said, it is wonderful for cleaning the crankcase.
  • November 12, 2010 5:39 AM PST
    I used it in an old Ranger pick-up. It really made it run better.
    • 9 posts
    November 12, 2010 11:46 AM PST
    This is one "mechanic in a can" that I trust. It works in every application I've tried it on. Worst was a Chevy 6 banger from 1956. When I pulled the valve cover you almost couldn't see the rockers it was so full of goop. Put the cover back on & poores 2 cans in, ran it for about an hour, drained oil & did it again 3 more times, pulled cover off & things looked way cleen. Turned into a smoth clean rebuild.
    • 58 posts
    November 13, 2010 2:47 AM PST
    OK, now you have me curious. What is this stuff? I've never heard of it before. Where do you get it?
  • November 13, 2010 12:25 PM PST
    Check out this article: http://www.webbikeworld.com/sea-foam/ />
    It works.
  • November 14, 2010 3:46 AM PST
    Well guys, I put the SeaFoam in my bike this morning - (in the gas & crankcase).... My engine sputtered a bit on start it....but after a 5 minutes, it cleared out the exhaust.......afterwards, I took my bike for a/b 100mile run to test it out. My engine seems to be running smoother, other than that ...I don't know what to think a/b it.... lol!
    .... but after the reading the reports here and elsewhere, I'm glad I put it in my bike.
    I consider it 'cheap' insurance.... thanks everybody for the feedback, much appreciated!
  • November 14, 2010 4:15 AM PST
    Buddydog56 wrote...
    Any thoughts on this product?

Have many of you used it?

I've been reading/researching this stuff, and it seems to be the best thing for your bike (inside & out) , since the invention of Slice Bread!

I've used it for about a year now in my truck, car and finally trust it enough to put it in my Ultra Classic.

• November 14, 2010 5:09 AM PST
    i have used seafoam for fuel injection services in automotive applications, results were varied due to the different styles of injection systems, but across the board, there was improvement.
  • December 8, 2010 10:50 PM PST
    I have been using Sea Foam for well over 10 years. Started using it on bikes that I restored that have been setting and the fuel had jelled. Also used it on older bike that have not been run that much. I swear by it.
  • December 10, 2010 12:13 AM PST
    I also have been using Sea Foam for many years now. I add it to my HD, and Vulcan 3 to 6months depending on the use. It has made a difference in the performance of the bikes,especially the fuel injected HD. With the addition of alcohol in the fuel, Sea Foam has helped to keep my performance up and hopefully everything clean in the combustion chamber. I have also used it in my vehicles, sure made a difference in my Ford Sport Trac. I would recommend it.
  • December 14, 2010 10:51 AM PST
    Awsome Stuff!
    I Highly recommend   it to everyone I know.
  • December 14, 2010 8:34 PM PST
    I use it in everything i drive, truck Bike Lawnmower Boat anything that has a motor and a carb Seafoam is a life saver and money saver in the long run HIGHLY RECOMENDED by alot of mechanics as well
    • 2072 posts
    December 18, 2010 12:58 AM PST
    I use it in everything from the lawnmower to my boat. Did an experiment a couple of years ago on my C-90. Tracked mileage with and without Seafoam. I DID see a significant difference when using it. So now I add some in every other tank of gas. I'm sold on the stuff !!!
    • 844 posts
    January 11, 2011 12:58 AM PST
    Never heard of it either. Might give it a try since I trust you guys
  • January 11, 2011 2:25 AM PST
    I have a riding bud that swears by it and uses it in his bike all the time.
    • 846 posts
    January 11, 2011 2:40 AM PST
    You guys have me convinced, there a can now in the garage wait to be used. Will try it on my truck this weekend and the bike once it out of winter storage.
    Thanks,
  • January 13, 2011 7:53 PM PST
    Any issues with air management systems (fuel injection/exhaust computers or sensors)?
  • February 25, 2011 1:30 PM PST
    I had to start using sea foam when uncle Sam started adding ethanol to gasoline. Picked up on it after finding out pickup truck owners used it every other tank of gas to clean the tank and carburetor out. Found out other bikers used it to clean the gas tank up as well. It really helps. It makes the gas have more octane and all one has to do is add just a quarter cup of sea foam per gallon. It really helps my iron head run better
       A Harley Davidson Iron Head Drag Bike Fuel Petcock might help me win.