So What Does Everyone Do?

• 5420 posts
    August 23, 2010 3:43 AM PDT
    As you probably know I do this...CycleFish.  I know to some it may not seem like a real job, but trust me it is.  I am doing something on CF at least 10-12 hours everyday, seven days a week...and love every minute of it.  When I am not here chatting with the the great CF people, I am working to make the site a little better.  Whether it be adding new features, improving the existing site and backend to make it run a little better, or trying to sell some advertising (so I can actually make a living here)...I am doing something.

Before I started CycleFish, I had many jobs.  I have been a copy machine technician, a computer field service technician, a computer repair training instructor, a data center manager, a property manager, and even a Vice President for a fortune 1000 company (didn't really like the corporate thing though).  For the 14 years just prior to starting CF I was always involved in the internet in some way.  I started a website development company back when I had to tell people what the internet was, and then try to convince them it would catch on!  Man I wish I could find some of those businesses that swore the internet would never catch on, and felt it would be a waste of money to put their business on the web.

• August 23, 2010 3:55 AM PDT
    badirish wrote...
    Retired Womanizer!! (Got to old and ugly). Part time Whiskey taste tester and beer swigger! Oh Yea......9 to 5 job, System Administrator for IT Department for one of the most dying cities in the U.S. (Dayton, Ohio)

that's funny! least you are being honest with yourself lol! there are so many that could benefit from such honesty
  • August 23, 2010 4:42 AM PDT
    Well if you can't be honest with yourself then WTF!! LOL!!!! Now I am just an old horney dog that sits on the porch and looks!!
    • 846 posts
    August 23, 2010 5:21 AM PDT
    Unfortunately I still need to work for a living. I’m Technical representative for a software company and a part time white water raft guide (inside during the week, outside for the weekends). In the past I as been a mechanical design engineer which is where I started. So it’s either being on rivers or the bike for the weekends and the bike the rest of the week. As time goes by more time on the bike which is ok with me. If resources were unlimited I would be riding all the time. As it now I need to remember to turn around some times and go home.
  • August 23, 2010 6:03 AM PDT
    Hi from the Pacific Northwest! I'm the senior mechanic, instructor and TCS for our local gov't agency. Have been there for 26 years! Have seen many changes in our 'rural area' since first moving up from the city. Never thought I'd really like it (to permanently reside here), but something happened and that was long ago. Have worked in construction / mechanics most all of my adult life.
    • 1066 posts
    August 23, 2010 6:29 AM PDT
    Oh boy, I have done appliance repair, plumbing, heating. I worked as a machine operator, making glass bottles. Machine operator making cardboard boxes. Auto repair, self-employed in woodcraft business. Construction, building houses. Put up pre-engineered steel buildings. Building maintenance, in restaurant. Machine operator, on steel brake lines, fuel lines, etc. for automobiles. Between a motorcycle crash 36 years ago, and all these jobs, the body is kinda worn out, so I am retired on disability now. So the only thing I can do now, is sit.....sit on the seat of my Low Rider, and ride.
  • August 23, 2010 6:40 AM PDT
    First of all my profile pic is not actually me. I just like it because it's light hearted and fun.

But I do own a pinstriping/custom graphic/screenprint/embroidery/vehicle wrap and sign shop rolled all into one called Graphic Concepts located in So. Cal.

I've done many things such as secretary work, bodyshop manager, billboard painter, real estate agent but none really kept my interest like pinstriping. I have no patience in life (that's my husband's job) except for my work. I can get lost in a project for hours upon hours and not even realize the time has rushed past.

I found it funny when a customer would drop by with a 12 pack and just watch me stripe. (that's stripe not strip) You can get mighty creative on those late nights. I would be the first to admit a 12 pack isn't much pay, just a way to motivate some creative thinking. The 12 pack days are long gone and I'm computerized now. But I still pick up the brush often and get lost in a project.

I've worked in a "man's" world most of my life. I've been told that women don't do some of the things that I wanted to do like pinstripe, manage bodyshops, martial arts, race cars, fly airplanes or ride motorcycles. When I was younger a guy made me cry telling me "I'll never be anything in this town" because of my job choice. It"s that same man 15 years later who calls me to fix someone elses work. And I do...with a smile on my face.

To be honest I don't get along with most women. I don't understand most of them and hate being in a large group of women. I feel extremely out of place and they seem to be competitive in some of the wierdest ways. I like women who likes to get tools for Christmas or instead of getting diamonds understands that for me, getting a new motor for my race car is just as good if not better.

My most valued job is wife, mother and grandmother. Married 23 years, 3 children, one granddaughter and one grandchild on the way. (We love taking our granddaughter (9) on rides with us when she's visiting for the summer).

I believe the surest way to be successful is to do something you enjoy for employment.

Life is good, life is short....make the most of it.
  • August 23, 2010 12:12 PM PDT
    Hey - Badirish - if you got a bottle of Jamesons in front of you - ya'll can't be too bad. Had a few friends over Saturday - single fella brought over a bottle of Jameson's - I'd like to say we drank it all - but there's a few sips left for the old prof. Jack of all trades - been there, still doing it. Do handyman jobs for friends and neighbors, been doing it all my life - comes from being an old shop teacher.
    • 844 posts
    August 24, 2010 4:35 AM PDT
    I repair heavy equipment. I also operate it, but much prefer to repair it. I have worked primarily in the oil industry repairing equipment on oil rigs, both in the gulf and on land. Used to be great work, with a great wage until everyone in the trade heard about it and came to Texas for a good paying job. Now the jobs are fewer and farther. I just got done working in Houston for almost a year. That was tough since my home and family are near Dallas. I would leave every Sunday night and share an apartment with a co-worker in Houston, and then home to the family every Friday as soon as work was done. But I just recently got a new job just outside of Dallas and get to live at home!!!
  • TNT
    August 24, 2010 7:22 AM PDT
    I am a transportation agent for 2 flatbed trucking companies. Live to ride!
  • August 24, 2010 10:55 AM PDT
    I am retired now, but before that I did a number of things that were all related to young people. I have been a counselor, a teacher, a day care operator, and community activist. I do miss workng with the kids, but wouldn't trade all this free time for anything !
    • 223 posts
    August 24, 2010 11:36 AM PDT
    Wow!!! Hello everyone! A bunch of different walks in life, but all on the same path it seems! Great to meet everyone (I just got off work so I'm slow about responding, sorry!) and hope to meet some of you on the road someday!
  • August 24, 2010 1:31 PM PDT
    Most recently I am enjoying being a mom and studying to be a vet assistant. I LOVE LOVE LOVE animals in general but most specifically dogs and even more specifically the American Pit Bull Terrier. I do my best to help with placing abused/neglected/abandoned dogs in new homes, I've been a foster mom, and I've also done transports. I also tend to get in the faces of pet shop/puppy millers/puppy brokers who sell badly bred pups full of health issues to ignorant people. Pisses me off and I have been known to call them on it. Walmart nearlu banned me for calling them REPEATEDLY on the way they keep their fish (esp. bettas since I used to breed them) in tiny dirty tanks.

I'd say I have too much time on my hands but it's difficult to find jobs in this part of Ohio though so I'm happy we're moving to AZ where we'll have a few more opportunities.
    • 23 posts
    August 25, 2010 4:27 AM PDT
    I design and decorate weddings.
  • August 25, 2010 5:03 AM PDT
    besides drinkin beer and trying to make people laugh or trying to have them put a bucket on there head, im a supervisor at an oil refinery workin 13 hr shifts 5-7 days a week.....i've owned my own business doing custom pinstriping and airbrushing along with vinyl lettering. been doing it for over 30 years now....just got my som doing the pinstriping as well now....its an dieing art now and not too many people are doing it any more
  • August 25, 2010 5:12 AM PDT
    Taco, I thought you were a retired womanizer to?
  • August 25, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
    badirish wrote...

LOL......i am but....thinkin about commin out of retirement....lol

• August 25, 2010 5:17 AM PDT
    Yea I tried it but like I stated...Got am to old and ugly. My ego could not take it so I had to admit it! LOL!!!!!!!!!
  • August 25, 2010 5:37 AM PDT
    badirish wrote...
    Yea I tried it but like I stated...Got am to old and ugly. My ego could not take it so I had to admit it! LOL!!!!!!!!!

LOL....i know what ya mean brother.....i guess i will stick to my beer then.....and stair at boobies then...thank god for dark sunglasses

• 1 posts
    August 25, 2010 5:40 AM PDT
    TACO wrote...
    badirish wrote...

I have only one word for that........TAMALE 

• August 25, 2010 5:59 AM PDT
    Cathy wrote...
    TACO wrote...
    badirish wrote...

I have only one word for that........TAMALE 

hahaha she would take my bucket from me if i did

• August 25, 2010 8:20 AM PDT
    I'm a Crisis and Emergency Prepardness Manager for the private sector. I'm also trained in risk management, business continuity planning, search and rescue, as well as basic human and life safety. When I'm not running around putting out fire I'm a lot like Taco.. I love my BEER!!!
  • August 25, 2010 8:25 AM PDT
    Tex1521 wrote...
    I'm a Crisis and Emergency Prepardness Manager for the private sector. I'm also trained in risk management, business continuity planning, search and rescue, as well as basic human and life safety. When I'm not running around putting out fire I'm a lot like Taco.. I love my BEER!!!

hell yeah TEX

• August 25, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
    TACO wrote...
    Tex1521 wrote...

hell yeah TEX

I'm right there with ya brother... oh yea grab me another cold one whlie your up
    • 568 posts
    August 25, 2010 9:14 AM PDT
    i am the resident temporary cripple and don't do much these days, but try and recover from a badly broken leg so i can ride again, mainly....
    i also like beer and boobs... a lot, so i guess i'm in good company here! eh eh
    oh, and if i'm not too distracted by the above i DO try ta write, now and then...