Most Embarrassing Moment With Your Bike

• October 26, 2012 12:30 PM PDT
    Finally had time to read through most of these. Glad I'm not the only one that does embarrassing stuff!
  • October 26, 2012 2:54 PM PDT
    had fun reading these, I dont ride I drive an 18 wheeler, Just the other evening, I was going north on Harry Hines in Dallas, turning left onto hwy 114, I saw the two bikes coming up fast in the left lane, about halfway thru the turn the one on the left slides into the one on the right, and they both go sliding under my trailer, I hit the brakes, and its not fun halfway thru a curve with 44,000lbs in the box. The guys were OK, the bikes were damaged but ride-able--sorta, both pretty drunk. Biker bar with good food just down the road. I kept the road closed thru about 4 light changes, Yeah I was #1 with alot of horn blowing. I helped them get the bikes out from under my trailer, Got them up right, and on their way before the cops showed up, Not so much as a "Thank You" from either of them.Had I been 1/2 second late hitting the brakes they and the bikes would have been squished. Too fast into the corner side by side. Y'all be careful, I'm watching out for you..
    • 844 posts
    October 27, 2012 8:10 AM PDT
    Just re-read a lot of these myself... Pretty funny stuff.
    • 79 posts
    November 30, 2012 9:36 PM PST
    Went to the store after just waking up,still half asleep.Two women who work there are sitting on the bench out front smoking.Get off and forget to put stand down.Pick the bike up and go in,get what i need come out and the women are still there.Get on the bike push the start button,still in gear and jump the bike onto the sidewalk.
    • 19037 posts
    November 30, 2012 10:23 PM PST
    Havin a bad day jmd?!?!
    • 79 posts
    December 2, 2012 12:23 AM PST
    That happened a couple of months ago.Just didn't want to talk about it till now
  • December 2, 2012 7:40 AM PST
    2011, Chicago to Sturgis in one day, 970 miles, 100 miles from Sturgis stop and get gas, pull up from the pump and park to go in and get a hotdog and forget to put the kick stand down... lay bike over into pickup truck with the owner standing there watching, loaded with gear, needed owners help to pick the bike back up... opps....
    • 844 posts
    December 24, 2012 2:52 AM PST
    BIG OOOPS
    • 5420 posts
    April 16, 2013 7:31 AM PDT
    Okay, since my good friend Mark mentioned my little incident in another forum post, I'll share the story with you.

At Arizona Bike Week last week I rode back into the tent camping area in the middle of the day when no one was around.  As I pull the bike up by my tent and started putting the kickstand down my right foot slipped into a rut next to the bike and over it went pinning my right leg under the Road King.  Since I had been working the booth all week and partying at loud concerts, I literally had no voice.  So here I am in an empty campground doing my best to get out a very quiet and raspy HELP, HELP as I could smell the exhaust melting the heal and scortching the leather of my boot (why I ALWAYS wear boots).  Luckily my buddy Sticks who was camping a couple of tents away was resting in his tent and heard me... problem is Sticks only has one arm and wasn't able to get my Road King up, but he did get others to help. 

So the joke around camp was - there is this guy named Lucky laying under his bike and the only person around to help is a one armed guy... several people suggested I change my name!

• 1855 posts
    April 16, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
    I had one but apparently my post was deleted, again.
    • 2 posts
    April 16, 2013 11:33 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Okay, since my good friend Mark mentioned my little incident in another forum post, I'll share the story with you.

At Arizona Bike Week last week I rode back into the tent camping area in the middle of the day when no one was around.  As I pull the bike up by my tent and started putting the kickstand down my right foot slipped into a rut next to the bike and over it went pinning my right leg under the Road King.  Since I had been working the booth all week and partying at loud concerts, I literally had no voice.  So here I am in an empty campground doing my best to get out a very quiet and raspy HELP, HELP as I could smell the exhaust melting the heal and scortching the leather of my boot (why I ALWAYS wear boots).  Luckily my buddy Sticks who was camping a couple of tents away was resting in his tent and heard me... problem is Sticks only has one arm and wasn't able to get my Road King up, but he did get others to help. 

So the joke around camp was - there is this guy named Lucky laying under his bike and the only person around to help is a one armed guy... several people suggested I change my name
    !

You win, shut the thread down, no one will top this.
  • April 16, 2013 12:56 PM PDT
    lol
  • April 16, 2013 1:07 PM PDT
    Back in the early '80s, I bought a brand new Honda CB650 Custom. I worked on a railroad gang and spent the week at whatever town we were working in at the time - so I decided to ride my bike and take my motorcycle cover with me.

I rolled the cover up and strapped it onto the back. For extra security, I laced some nylon cord through some of the eyelets to my sissy bar. About an hour into the trip the bike felt really squirrelly.

The funny part was when I looked in my mirror, and all I see is gray nothingness. I rode for several minutes feeling like I was in the twilight zone - bike feels weird - blank gray world in my mirrors (sun was just starting to rise).

Then another quick look in the mirror as my canvas cover burst apart from catching the wind like a drag chute.

It was then that I could see the truck behind me flashing his lights at me. He stopped and said he was afraid to try and pass me - said it looked just like a chute on a dragster.
    • 5420 posts
    May 3, 2013 3:21 AM PDT
    Okay another stupid moment by Lucky.  Last week while at the Laughlin River Run I headed out to Oatman, AZ and on the way back a ride down Old Route 66.  I was pulling off the road onto a gravel shoulder to get a drink of water and just as I was coasting to a stop a saw a scorpion about two feet in front of me on the right side just about where I would have put my foot down.  Now I haven't dealt with scorpions and don't know much about them... like if they jump at you or not.

So the smart thing to do would have been to power back up, go right by it and stop further down the road.  But instead I decided to forget everything I know about riding motorcycles and hit the front brake in the gravel!  Yep, front wheel locked and the bike went down - luckily it fell the opposite way from where the scorpion was!

Two other bikers pulled over (local guys), one just casually walked over and stepped on the scorpion and told me they don't jump at you.  They helped me upright my bike and I was on my way.

If you read the story above you know this is the second time in two weeks I dropped my bike... both times I was in Arizona.  I am starting to think they have more gravity in Arizona then we do here
    • 846 posts
    May 3, 2013 4:34 AM PDT
    Lucky you may be on to something there. If you go back to page 4 you'll see mine moment was in Arizona too. May be it's gravity and Road Kings together.
  • May 6, 2013 1:57 PM PDT
    I think it's called the Arizona Anomaly. It affected me once about 25/30 years ago at a rest stop. I was in a long line pulling into the rest stop as there were about 6 semi trucks jockying around getting ready to park for a while. The traffic was moving, but slowly. Just as I spotted a place I could pull in and be out of the way, everything came to a sudden stop. I stopped in time but . . . wait for it . . . I forgot to put my feet down. Over I went. The worst part was, I was pinned under the bike and could not get my foot out or in position to get leverage to lift it. A very nice family, with big grins, was nice enough to get out of their car and help me out. I bought them all an ice cold soda from the Rotary Club that had set up there.
  • May 9, 2013 5:44 AM PDT
    have laid my bike's down more than enough times first street bike was a 1973 Kawasaki Z1, i had just left a party yeah i know had a couple of beers and shouldn't have but did i was younger then anyway was only 6 blocks from my house and figured easy ride home all was fine till i saw the red light bar behind me ,think it was a cop figured better do things right and stop for the flashing stop light rather then slow and go , so stop i did i must of sat there a while cause the next thing i know i am being helped up off the pavement by a bunch of laughing firemen , who was saying that was so cool , they said i just sat there perfectly balanced for about 2 minutes then it was light slow motion over i went ,since forgot to put my feet down when I stopped almost 15 yrs later i ran in to one of those fire men still working and he say i remember you then he tells all of my buds what happened will never live that one down oh BTW it was a fire truck behind me not the cops LOL
  • May 14, 2013 10:52 PM PDT
    Hmm... Have I ever done a dumb thing on my bike. It is sooooo hard to remember. Well there was the time when I dropped my bike on the right side (all alone). Having taken the course on "how to pick up your bike" I simply got off and stood it up only to immediately dump it on the left side. (Forgot to put kickstand down before standing it up.) So I got another lesson very quickly in how to pick up a wing. There was a time when I was racing to get to a ride event, running late and came rushing up to the sign in area. I turned off the engine and stepped of the bike (yea you guessed it no kickstand). Now here are some 200 riders at the lineup point watching the whole thing happen. You can see a downed yellow bike from a long way off. It stands out very well on the black pavement. I think there is some special reason they put a kickstand on these things. If I ever figure out why I am sure life will be better. Now I am sure these are the only two stupid things I have done (wink wink). Well at least what I am willing to admit to.
  • May 15, 2013 3:15 AM PDT
    I was taking the Harley Riders Edge course at the dealership. That same weekend there were vendors and me and some of the students were walking around on our break. One of the girls ask one of the vendors, "whats the best way to pick up a bike if you drop it?" Well...one of the guy salesman said " all you have to do is put your hand on your hip and say, gentlemen could y'all help me pick up my bike? and it will be done. We just kinda of laughed and walked on. So we get back to class and tell our instructor what we had learned. He too just laughed and shook his head. Now it time to go to the practice riding course and do some skills. I'm doing fine, but when I stop, I'm feeling for my kickstand with my foot and can't find it. I look down, MISTAKE, over I go. Thank goodness I had my chaps and boots on. My instructor strolls over to me and says" what where you saying this morning"? So me, looking at the men says" gentlemen...." They all were doing the back and forth shuffle, but too indecisive. Needless to say the instruction showed me how to pick up my bike and I still passed the course.
  • May 15, 2013 2:24 PM PDT
    My most embarassing moment was about a year or so ago. I was leaving work and our drive goes up a hill. It's been raining and as I'm leaving this guy that used to work with us goes past in his car and romps on it. So I'm like I'm gonna catch him. I blast up the hill and turn hard...., to hard into wet pavement and loose gravel. The bike shoots out from under me and I go tumbling down the road (popped up and posed like an olympic gymnast though). Worst part, half my work saw it.

My handlebars gor bent and my crashbars got scratched. I had some bruises, but the worst part was the harassment from the guys at work.
  • May 16, 2013 12:06 AM PDT
    We went to show my grandparents our new bike I asked him if he was ready for me to get off of the bike he said yes but his right foot/leg was M.I.A because it fell over right in their driveway!
  • June 6, 2013 2:36 PM PDT
    I pulled my bike into the bike staging lane at New England Dragway which is a bit uphill. I was in the second row several behind me. I put the kickstand up to pull ahead.I went to put my left foot out to hold up the bike only to realize the velcro flap on the inside of my Alpinestar boot was caught on the kickstand.Over I went. Looked like a complete Jackass.lol.. A couple guys helped me up and we all had a good laugh.
    • 834 posts
    July 18, 2013 12:34 PM PDT
    Nothing like doing something like that with a crowd watching.
    • 4 posts
    December 6, 2013 4:18 AM PST
    My most duh moment was the day after I got into a high side accident with my just bought bike, I was riding my trusted Gs500 and pulling into the motorcycle parking area in front of Pier 6 on NB San Diego and without thinking I turned off my bike got off and started to let go when I realized that I didn't put the stand down, I tried saving the bike since i was in a packed rat area with alot of other bikes and no room, I was able to partly bring it up but I couldn't bring t up all the way due to my hurt shoulder, luckily there was a few guys smoking and saw my situation and helped me bring the bike up. Luckily, I didn't hit any of the other bikes that were right beside me. I was so pissed at myself by not paying attention.
  • December 12, 2013 1:55 AM PST
    You got lucky there. Would have not been good to take down a whole line of bikes like dominoes!