How far will you travel

• 1855 posts
    July 24, 2012 6:23 AM PDT
    Taking into consideration your personal riding habits and obeying traffic laws, how long (in hours) would it take you to ride 700 miles if you only rode during the daylight?

After having travelled many years on my motorcycle, the formula has been consistent.  With the exception of power runs and having given myself plenty of time to get where I want to be, at the end of my trip my average speed has been between 50 mph, never more than 55 mph.

In a previous post I said that we ride 6 hours a day and then it's time for this old coot to wind down.  So, 6 hours on the road is going put me 300+ miles down the highway.  I caluculate all my travel based on making some place 300 miles away.  That's not to say I won't push it some.  Afterall, some roads lead to nowhere and ya just have to compensate for that. 

So, how do ya'll figure out your distances?

Peace
    • 5420 posts
    July 24, 2012 6:43 AM PDT
    That's pretty much the formula I use for most trips - average 50 mph with stops. I simple multiply the 100 miles times two to get the time (i.e 350 miles is 3.5 x 2 = 7 hours). The only time that varies is when the trip is more the destination or the leg of getting out of or back in to So Cal - since I ride the back roads here almost every weekend, when I'm leaving or coming home I get on the highway and crack it! I will normally ride 80 to 90 mph and average 65 with stops.

Basically I ride 8 to 10 hours max a day, with an exception of 11 to 12 hours once or twice a year for certain trips. Depending on where I am will determine how far I go in that time.

Like someone said in the other post, I have seen everything there is to see around here, so I push hard the first day so then I can do 300 - 400 mile days once I get to an area I want to take my time in.

• 846 posts
    July 24, 2012 7:15 AM PDT
    Thanks both of you have confirmed how I plan my trips also. About 300=350 miles a day. There are the exception as you have both noted but most of what i've done falls into that range. It good to see it about the same.
    • 0 posts
    July 24, 2012 10:52 AM PDT
    So much depends on the trip and what you are after.

Last year we went to upstate N.Y and only had 3 days to get there, so it was 3 - 1k days, back to back. But that gave us time on the way back to relax and follow the sun. If it was cloudy one way, we went the other. if we went 200 miles, so be it, if we sent 400, that was OK also.

Most days, if we are just traveling, we will average 50-55 mph and go until we feel tired and find the nearest place to stay the night. No itinerary and no pressures.

as far as the 700 miles, that would be interstate travel and 11 hours
  • July 24, 2012 11:16 AM PDT
    I usually figure on 300 miles in a little over five hours. Not an exact science, particularly when I see something I want to stop and look at, but it is good ball park planning.
  • July 24, 2012 12:08 PM PDT
    Usually between 350 to 500 miles in a day, my day always starts at around 10am on the road (USA), in UK its much much less, reason for a 10am start? By the time I have got ready to go I have done the 3 S's and had a real big breakfast, then as the manic traffic has gone I hit the highway, I dont worry if its backroads state to state or the big blacktops, I just dont care which, stopping time depends how many tanks of fuel, how many rest stops (I can hold mine, usually who I am travelling with...DOH!!!). Finish time depends on daylight really, but even then THAT depends on the amount of stupid traffic...lol...

I did one run one time just stopping for fuel stops (inc 1 rest stop per tank of gas) I went from Hagerstown MD to Savannah GA just picking up gas along the way, a route I have done a few times from up-state NY to Daytona FL using 81 to 77 then 77 to 26 then 26 to 95...lol...my average FAR exceeded recommended legal road speeds on THAT particular run...lol...around 650 miles that day...lol...
    • 2 posts
    July 24, 2012 12:30 PM PDT
    Yeh, probably AVERAGE 50 - 55MPH, factoring in fuel, leaks, meals & tourist traps - not to mention sporting goods stores & the odd antique shop.
    Have no particular problem doing 10 - 11hour days.
    Try to keep it to 1 meal/day when on the road - Consume most of my fluids when the sun is low
  • July 24, 2012 1:15 PM PDT
    Excellent subject Jimmy
    To answer your question, for me, 700 mi would take me 1 ½ days. I usually plan 300/day.
    It all depends on your priorities, I guess. I have averaged as much as 55 mph, and as little as 35 mph. Some days I’ve done 400 mi/ day, then others only 150.
    I’ve traveled 20,000 in the last 2 years, half of that solo. As comfy as my bike is, I find anything over 8-10 hrs. in the saddle , wears on me mentally (and if Jet is reading this, my butt is good, LMAO, just sayin!).
    I lean towards the roads less traveled. Maybe not the best “average”, but have seen some really wonderful sights. Quite a country we have, and I like to see the “sights”, just sayin!
    I live on an island, so any mi off of it are very precious! And I take every chance I get!
    Ride safe my friends!
    • 19034 posts
    July 24, 2012 9:15 PM PDT
    Hard to say Jimmy, I have learned that I no longer set a distance goal. When traveling either via bike, car, or RV. Just go till I feel ready to stop. Although that often is in the 300 to 450 mile range. Being retired does have it perks.
    • 1855 posts
    July 25, 2012 12:02 AM PDT
    The 50-55 mph average is just something I've concluded over the years. While I don't particularly inspire to 'set a distance goal' I at least know where the day might end. Good replies everyone. Glad to know ya'll have paid attention over the years. LOL It really does say a great deal about how one understands who they are and what they are capable of "in the wind"; not to mention safety.

Peace
  • July 25, 2012 3:02 AM PDT
    I once did 1248 miles in shade under 22 hours! LOL
    • 5420 posts
    July 25, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
    That's 'cause you're still a youngster!
    • 1855 posts
    July 25, 2012 4:34 AM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    I once did 1248 miles in shade under 22 hours! LOL

A long time ago I use to talk about how quickly I made journeys until my shovel blew up (bottom end) 25 miles East of Sturgis.  I was club prez at the time so the brothers from Ohio came to pick me up.  Now, I had ridden straight through years prior from Sturgis back to Ohio (1364 miles) and it was about the same time as yours. 

But when I broke down and had to be hauled back to Ohio, those crazies made the drive in 16 hours.  I had to get out of the cab and lay down in the bed of the truck.  I didn't want to see the crash.   We didn't crash of course but I think that's about the scariest I've been.

Peace
  • August 2, 2012 4:21 AM PDT
    MustangSally1 wrote...
    Excellent subject Jimmy
    To answer your question, for me, 700 mi would take me 1 ½ days. I usually plan 300/day.
    It all depends on your priorities, I guess. I have averaged as much as 55 mph, and as little as 35 mph. Some days I’ve done 400 mi/ day, then others only 150.
    I’ve traveled 20,000 in the last 2 years, half of that solo. As comfy as my bike is, I find anything over 8-10 hrs. in the saddle , wears on me mentally (and if Jet is reading this, my butt is good, LMAO, just sayin!).
    I lean towards the roads less traveled. Maybe not the best “average”, but have seen some really wonderful sights. Quite a country we have, and I like to see the “sights”, just sayin!
    I live on an island, so any mi off of it are very precious! And I take every chance I get!
    Ride safe my friends!

Hey now, I never comment on ANYONE's Butt unless I seen it for myself...lol...
    • 12 posts
    August 30, 2012 3:46 PM PDT
    average day of riding is between 200-450 miles, no major highways. I did do a trip this past may to North Carolina. 700 miles in 12.5 hrs. when I had my Goldwing, it was always at night, cooler and less idiots on the road. we did Montreal from NJ (500 miles) in 9 hours.
    • 823 posts
    August 30, 2012 5:03 PM PDT
    I have traveled many miles over the years, like most of you guys on here. Seems like no matter if you are just cruising or balls out trying to get somewhere it still averages out to 50-55 mph on any trip of any distance. Funny how that works out.

Oh, and Veronica (Blanca) lives 472 miles from me.  Takes 9 hours on my bike.
    • 1 posts
    September 4, 2012 5:39 PM PDT
    Rob and I did Morgantown WVa to Indianapolis in a day...can someone work out the miles...and we did that easily...even had time for me to joke around.
    • 1 posts
    September 5, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
    My longest day traveling on a bike was 800 miles. Had to make it to a toy run or my oldest riding friends would have disowned me. Took all day and some of the night. I don't think the "Shortcut" helped much. But I made to the toy run and my friends still ride with me so it is all good.
    • 1855 posts
    September 7, 2012 2:26 AM PDT
    Jonesy1340 wrote...
    Rob and I did Morgantown WVa to Indianapolis in a day...can someone work out the miles...and we did that easily...even had time for me to joke around.

Slightly less than 400 miles. 
  • September 22, 2012 3:36 PM PDT
    Depends on if I'm a mission or not. Most time I am so...... who knows. The miles just fall behind me as I look forward to the miles ahead of me.
  • September 23, 2012 10:34 PM PDT
    That's about right....avg around 55 -58 MPH with some super slab miles thrown into the trip, stops etc. When I'm heading somewhere in particular and need to be there by a certain date/time I plan for 400 miles/day but will push it to 500 if I'm not too tired and weather is good etc.... 9 to 10 hours is enough to do me in a day.
  • September 23, 2012 11:53 PM PDT
    EEEERRRRRMMMMMMM....... I cheat due to the fact of what I do for a living so I'm used to sitting for hours at a time ridin' & glidin'.
    • 19034 posts
    September 24, 2012 12:42 AM PDT
    In the summer of 2009 I was on a 48 state in one run charity ride. Earning money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation I kept records of daily miles and state border crossings. The High was 662 miles (I-10 from east of Tallahassee to about 60 miles above Beaumont Tx) and the low was 98 ending near London, KY (had tire troubles). The average worked out to be 341 miles per day and coincidentally that was the general rule when I planned the next days route.
    • 1 posts
    September 24, 2012 4:18 PM PDT
    well thats about all you need a day then...unless yoiu go with Wooli and Bitchy...then you never know whats going to happen.
    • 3006 posts
    September 25, 2012 11:57 AM PDT
    So from what I gather here, a motorcycle rider will usually do abt 350 miles in an 8 hr time span? Maybe this is old hat yet doesnt the Iron Butt runs get completed in one days time? The high of 662 miles sounds like a 8-10 hr span of time.