Soap box time..."Again"

• November 3, 2010 4:23 PM PDT
    I was having lunch today at a local biker watering hole with a riding buddy, well I went out n bought some 14" burly apes for my
    V-STAR 1100, I've made up a computer model with the apes attached n was showing this to my buddy who rides a Harley...
    ...anyhows a person at the next table was evesdropping  n started making comments about me riding a "Rice Grinder" n how
    I'm not American cuz I don't ride a Harley...and...he said  I should be embarrased because I'm trying to make my "Rice Grinder"
    look like a Harley....

Well ?  That's not the case n I don't care what anybody rides...AS LONG AS THEY RIDE...

The moral of this message is to ' Have Pride in Your Ride "  Shit I and many of you served our country n one
    of the many values we protected is the " Freedom of Choice "  Just because someone dosen't ride
    a Harley dosen't make them Un-American.....

Thanks for letting me vent....
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 5420 posts
    November 3, 2010 4:52 PM PDT
    100%.  You can ride at my side anythime RandyJoe.
    • 0 posts
    November 3, 2010 8:05 PM PDT
    Shit Mate if what we ride makes us what we are I'm in more shit than the early settlers! Today i rose a KX 450,CB250,YZ 80,LT 50,BMW R100,Goldwing, Triumph, softail then rode my Buell home..To top it all off im a bloody Aussie...That'd confuse the shit out of your big mouthed wanker eavesdropper...CHEERS BOOF
    • 21 posts
    November 3, 2010 8:49 PM PDT
    Amen, RandyJoe
    • 580 posts
    November 3, 2010 11:45 PM PDT
    Riding a Harley makes you no more American than riding a sportsbike would make me Japanese!!! Sometimes they say ignorance is bliss - so just bless your eavesdroppers little cotton socks for having no more than a pea brain

Big Hugs (o:
  • November 3, 2010 11:56 PM PDT
    Totally agree with you RandyJoe!! Not what you ride but if you ride. I have been in that position before but I usually shut them up. I ride and own two Hondas. Both were assembled in Ohio. Which has the most Honda Plants of any state putting my fellow Buckeyes to work. Then I ask to look at there bike and start pointing out parts made overseas. We are becoming a world economy, like it or not! Very few things anymore can legally have the stamp of "MADE IN USA" including Harley Davidson. Notice I said Legally. That is based by the percentage of parts that were made in America on the machine set by the Federal Trade Commission. Hope I did not piss anyone off but its the facts. Ride what you want.....Just ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 1364 posts
    November 4, 2010 12:23 AM PDT
      Cool cats and respect for all is the way I roll
    • 846 posts
    November 4, 2010 1:31 AM PDT
    I agree with all of the sentiment about. It’s about the ride and the freedom it gives as well as the freedom of choice. I started off riding Honda’s in the dirt as well as the street. I now have two Harley’s in the garage, my choice. I ride with a friend that has a V-star also. I don’t comment on his decision I’m just glad he rides. It was his decision on what to ride not mine. So if you have pride in your ride and that’s what you’re comfortable with it, that’s all that counts. Forget about the few simple minded you run it to once in a while. I’ll ride with you any time.
    • 19040 posts
    November 4, 2010 1:43 AM PDT
    Echoing the prior posts Randy, that fool is way out of touch. Hell my Road King is probably 30 to 50% imported parts. I respect the rider for riding, not for what they ride.

I have 16" chubby apes on Rex and love the look as much as the riding position.
    And hey, let us see some photos when you put thie bars on.
    • 58 posts
    November 4, 2010 2:01 AM PDT
    Around here, I am called a snob because I left the metric ranks and bought a Harley. Out of 8 bikes in the immediate neighborhood (6 in my family) I have the only Harley. Of the other 7 bikes, only 1 accrued as many miles as my bike (4K) over the summer months and I was only home 22 days over the summer. I guess I really am what my bro-in-law called me a while back...a nutcase biker! You all ride safe, no matter what you ride. Here's to collecting bugs!
    • 9 posts
    November 4, 2010 2:29 AM PDT
    Jeez! Damn, R.J., was this guy on a motorcycle of his own, at the time? Or was he just "mouthin" off? Don't you just love how someone will start spewing that crap, and nine outta ten, that ain't even on a bike, period? But even if he were, in my book, ignorance is just that. Jealousy, is also a motivational factor. We don't care what you ride, go ahead and make all the adjustments you need to. And don't worry about what the "peckerhead" said. A real biker isn't gonna admonish you for not ridin' a Harley, he'll be the first to admire your work!
    RIDE FREE
    Tweek
    • 467 posts
    November 4, 2010 3:38 AM PDT
    Some people's kids! I ride a Harley, but I have also owned Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda in my past. And I also used to work for Harley and can tell you that 60% of any Harley is made in China. It only has to be 40% American made and assembled here to wear the label of "Made in the USA"! lol But I still have just as much fun on my bike--no matter how many sylables there are in the name!
    • 580 posts
    November 4, 2010 3:39 AM PDT
    Oh and just one question guys - what are burly apes? Guessing at handlebars??? You've just gotta forgive this dumb brunette from the other side of the pond for having a pea brain and bless my little cotton socks!!!

Hugs
    • 1780 posts
    November 4, 2010 5:47 AM PDT
    OH Baby when I saw the title of this post, almost broke my mouse clicking finger getting here. First of all to quote Forest Gump...Stupid is as Stupid does, and if I had been at that table .....well not sure how you kept your cool, but guess you did, and you have more restraint than I my Brother. I just bought two boxes of WINDCHESTER 7.62x54R 180 GR Full Metal Jacket ammo. I mean Windchester that sounds pretty American, I mean the Windchester rifle help tame the old west, and all that History stuff. Guess where the Ammo is made.....CZECH REPUBLIC.
    Go figure
    Dragon
    • 19040 posts
    November 4, 2010 5:48 AM PDT
    chocmintz wrote...
    Oh and just one question guys - what are burly apes? Guessing at handlebars??? You've just gotta forgive this dumb brunette from the other side of the pond for having a pea brain and bless my little cotton socks!!!

Hugs

You are right Patti, Burly or Chubby Apes are handle bars but thicker ones. Usually 1 1/4 inch in diameter instead of stock 1 inch diameter. They give the bike a more macho muscular look. The ape (shortened from ape hangers)  part means longer than stock putting the riders arms in an extended up position. Kind of like and ape hanging from a branch. Some riders go to serious extremes and have them as high as 30 or 36 inches. Most are in the vicinity of 14 to 22 inches high.

• November 4, 2010 6:43 AM PDT
    This guy not only butted into your conversation, but when he did he stuck his foot in his mouth. What a dumbshit! Like Tweek said he probably didnt even ride there, or does he even own a bike. If I had more money I'd have about thirty bikes and they would be all different makes and styles. I have always wanted a sportbike like a yamaha R1 or a Suzuki Hyabusa, they look like they would be fun as hell to ride. And afterall isn't that what it's all about FUN!
  • November 4, 2010 7:12 AM PDT
    I was surprized to hear this story. I have been on the bike road for over 10 years and have always been accepted no matter where I was by other bikers. Guess I just don't understand why today there is such prejudice about the make of a bike. One of the things I enjoy about riding is seeing and meeting all the different people and all the different bikes they ride. The Hell's Canyon Motorcycle Rally in Baker City, OR, usually held in June finds every kind of bike imaginable with riders arriving in groups riding every kind of bike, together. No distinction or anamosity. I love it!
    • 0 posts
    November 4, 2010 7:17 AM PDT
    A quick smile, and say " Thank you, but I've been called worse by better" usually quiets them.
  • November 4, 2010 7:23 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    This guy not only butted into your conversation, but when he did he stuck his foot in his mouth. What a dumbshit! Like Tweek said he probably didnt even ride there, or does he even own a bike. If I had more money I'd have about thirty bikes and they would be all different makes and styles. I have always wanted a sportbike like a yamaha R1 or a Suzuki Hyabusa, they look like they would be fun as hell to ride. And afterall isn't that what it's all about FUN!

Terry, you hit the nail right on the head!!! It is all about the fun of riding!!! Thats the Bottom Line!!!
  • November 4, 2010 7:51 AM PDT
    HD's are not everyone's cup of tea ~ the price point is prohibitive for many ~ even the 883 can be to much motorcycle for a beginner ~ ya sure don't wanna have to take your Harley down to many gravels or dirts ~ ride what ya ride with pride ~ let's face it, we ride for many reasons and if IMAGE is your only reason... you may just need a support group ~ yep

Wind in your face Randy ~ Ride safe
  • November 4, 2010 2:50 PM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Echoing the prior posts Randy, that fool is way out of touch. Hell my Road King is probably 30 to 50% imported parts. I respect the rider for riding, not for what they ride.

I have 16" chubby apes on Rex and love the look as much as the riding position.
    And hey, let us see some photos when you put thie bars on.

Consider it done....
  • November 4, 2010 2:57 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    100%.  You can ride at my side anythime RandyJoe.

That just might happen Lucky...I'm trying my darndest to make RWR this year....

• November 4, 2010 3:00 PM PDT
    Tweek wrote...
    Jeez! Damn, R.J., was this guy on a motorcycle of his own, at the time? Or was he just "mouthin" off? Don't you just love how someone will start spewing that crap, and nine outta ten, that ain't even on a bike, period? But even if he were, in my book, ignorance is just that. Jealousy, is also a motivational factor. We don't care what you ride, go ahead and make all the adjustments you need to. And don't worry about what the "peckerhead" said. A real biker isn't gonna admonish you for not ridin' a Harley, he'll be the first to admire your work!
    RIDE FREE
    Tweek

Ya he was on a harley...basket case...need some TLC.....I took it like a duck...let run it off my back....
    Thanks...

• November 4, 2010 3:02 PM PDT
    nightdragon wrote...
    OH Baby when I saw the title of this post, almost broke my mouse clicking finger getting here. First of all to quote Forest Gump...Stupid is as Stupid does, and if I had been at that table .....well not sure how you kept your cool, but guess you did, and you have more restraint than I my Brother. I just bought two boxes of WINDCHESTER 7.62x54R 180 GR Full Metal Jacket ammo. I mean Windchester that sounds pretty American, I mean the Windchester rifle help tame the old west, and all that History stuff. Guess where the Ammo is made.....CZECH REPUBLIC.
    Go figure
    Dragon

Awwww...Man ? That's why I love ya Bro..ya tell it like it should be told.....

• November 4, 2010 3:52 PM PDT
    my last scoot was the v-star 1100, slammed 3", stage 1, made my exhaust, 4" up 2"pullback risers with stock bars, hand laid stripes, but the important thing was, it ran, it rolled. ride your ride, let the goober drive his cage home