Bowling Green, the aftermath.....

• June 29, 2010 1:28 PM PDT
    When I write, it's always how I feel, as I'm sure it is with everyone.  So I've spent most of today reflecting on the events and the people I met at the Meet and Greet in Bowling Green.  I left work early because I just wasn't into it and when I got the call that one of the little one's was under the weather and had to go see the Doc, it was just enough of an excuse to bolt and spend the day at home. So I thought good and hard about what I wanted to say and what it really was that made this weekend remarkable for me.

When you have a great experience, there are always an endless supply of cliche's that can be referenced to try and fill the sentences with how you felt about it.  And thinking back into my experience with expressing my thoughts through written word, I couldn't seem to find anything that quite fit the bill of what I wanted to express about all of you who came into my  familys lives in a personal way this weekend until I got down to the root of what it was that happened. Many words are used for extraordinary experiences that are full of fluff or pomp and circumstance.  There are superlatives for hyperbole to cover most any scenario where emphatic expression is desired.  But that would be inappropriate for what my wife and I feel about what happened.

For this experience, words like ease, comfort and acceptance come in where they normally are considered mundane and unmoving.  But for me, those ordinary attributes move mountains in the soul.  There was a flow that was almost unnoticeable. As we all seemed to revel in the moments that passed and seemed to fill us with surprising excitement, it became clear to me, for me, that the excitement had nothing to do with the “goings on” of some momentous event or “fitting in”. There was none of that. It was come as you are and enjoy the fact that nobody is putting on a show. The personalities were as varied as they were numerous, yet seemed to meld together with an ease that, in the end, caused a mild anguish when we parted that surprised me almost as much as the way we all got along. It caused me to consider that it would possibly be a year before I was around such a group that had no expectations other than comfort and respect. No hoops to jump through or erratic strains that so many acquaintances tailspin into. It was just be here with people of kindred spirit and enjoy the lack of the struggle.

I saw looks turn into grins, that turned into smiles, that erupted into laughter and settled into tears a few times.

I left the “struggle” many years ago and with it went all but one, maybe two, friends outside the friendship I share with my wife. I don't miss a single one of those people, but I'm sure as hell going to miss how comfortable I felt when walking down the lane at the KOA to see who was around to talk to and not what was going to happen.

Comfort and respect. That sums it up for me. And to reference Bulldogs quote, not a day was wasted to an absence of laughter.....

Thanks guys and gals....All of you.

• June 29, 2010 1:39 PM PDT
    Thank you James for summing this experience up so simply and beautifully. I have spent the past 2 days wandering around 2 states on the back of Mike's bike reflecting on my feelings and the whole experience also, wishing I had a tape recorder so I can record everything going on in my brain and heart.
    Thank you for enriching my life.
    • 1780 posts
    June 29, 2010 1:42 PM PDT
    Defcon always has had a way with words, and his post is a perfect example of how we all felt after the event was over. I have not felt this way since my son from California (about 6 or 7 years old at the time) use to visit me during the summer, and that dreaded trip to the airport at the end of summer. I always wore my sunglasses into the airport because I knew how putting him on that plane after 2 months of fun would turn out for me. If anyone noticed I had my sunglasses on when Angel Eyes and I drove off from the camp ground.
    Best time, Best Friends
    Until Next Time....Dragon
  • June 29, 2010 2:06 PM PDT
    Defcon...you hit the nail on the head! I believe that the friends that I have made on this trip have been a "life Changing" event for me...I will never forget the moment when Nightdragon went flying off the bike and 15 people ran to his rescue. Keeping me from having a total break down and holding me up. The next morning when he felt like his world was coming to an end .....the whole group was on our porch drinking coffee, bandaging him, talking, laughing and making us both feel like we have a new family. Then, I looked up and it was already 2:00 in the afternoon. Time meant nothing to this group. Caring, sharing, laughing, crying was more important than anything else. Which is what life should be about! Thank you everyone for opening my eyes to what friends are suppose to be like!
    • 568 posts
    June 29, 2010 2:26 PM PDT
    yeah, that must be something alrite...
    ye guys are lucky te have found each other fer sure...
  • June 29, 2010 3:12 PM PDT
    ezzyrider wrote...

We found your hairy self too Ezzy!!!!

• 352 posts
    June 29, 2010 3:35 PM PDT
    Def – you are on the money!
    As I was discussing the time spent with Dotty (my wife) I expressed that I wish she had been there, it was completely unlike any other "rally" I have been to in the past.
    From the welcome I got at the start at what became our regular breakfast stop and the "all hands on" to help get my bike off the truck till the hugs goodbye after our last meal together. The group runs, the constant sharing of moments that seemed completely free of any "posturing" but more of reasons to have fun. It felt almost as though we had known each other for ages.
    I told her that I had not laughed so much in such a short period of time in as long as I can ever remember…in short. I said “I had an absolute blast and wish she had the chance to meet these people and that she will have to make some of the short runs to get together with a few till next year and she will need to plan to attend next year as well. “
    I looked forward each morning as I made my run down to the KOA to see who was up – where I got an old friend kind of welcome to coffee from whoever was up as we chatted till everyone else wondered around then off for a run to nowhere.
    The shift to the “mid-way” that became the focal point each evening, my first taste of that concoction of Scott & Bonnie’s  or the Knob Creek white Russian cow sucking turkey calling jiggle dancing laugh fest.
    A situation that happened which could have turned uglier in several ways, was handled by all with surprising stride especially the main parties.
    I had to show her the pics of the youngest future biker – Def’s little one with the pool goggles.
    I will anxiously await the next year’s gathering and will definitely try to find reason & opportunity to catch up with any of my Brothers & Sisters till then.
    Excuse the wall of text or my winded rant.
    Bull Dog
    • 568 posts
    June 29, 2010 3:54 PM PDT
    sidetrack wrote...
    ezzyrider wrote...

We found your hairy self too Ezzy!!!!
    yeah i know, and happy ta have found yis too!

... but i meant ye're lucky ta have these opportunities ta meet in person, and create these meaningful, strong bonds...
    i needs a bloody bridge across the pond, i does!
  • June 29, 2010 10:45 PM PDT
    Great now I am crying again...missing you all...so blessed to have met you all and can call you all friends...I know I will see some of you before the next M&G (hint hint hint Defcon we are coming to spoil the kids) the others I do not see till next yr will be held in my heart each and every day.
  • June 30, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
    You cannot respoil what is already spoiled to the point of wreaking! LOLOL But I'm sure they will not mind you trying!!
    • 601 posts
    June 30, 2010 1:40 AM PDT
    Nice words defcon, glad ye all had a good craic, hopefully i will make it next year, just have to tie it in with a 2 week road trip.... are they your kids in the photos defcon ? nice kids, young lad looks a tough little fecker.
  • g
    June 30, 2010 7:32 AM PDT
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw ,thats nice .
  • g
    June 30, 2010 7:33 AM PDT
    gid words from a gid guy ,...well put defcon .
  • June 30, 2010 7:39 AM PDT
    Those are my kids. And the boy is coming along. I always prefer to have to rein someone in, rather than keep having to put my foot in their back. Trying to decide if I should bridle him up with a hackamore or go for the gag and hack rig. Either way he is chomping at the bit. 5yrs old and is standing on his bicycle seat, riding down the sidewalk.
    • 1 posts
    June 30, 2010 9:20 AM PDT
    No crying in Motorcycling so knock it off!!!!            
    • 413 posts
    June 30, 2010 10:21 AM PDT
    Steven wrote...
    No crying in Motorcycling so knock it off!!!!            

I'm ; I'm still tryin to figure out how I missed the CORNBREAD....

• 1 posts
    June 30, 2010 11:20 AM PDT
    FxrDude, cause I ate all the cornbread, next year I will make sure you get all the cornbread you can eat..
  • June 30, 2010 11:24 AM PDT
    FxrDude....I can make some and mail it to you....
  • June 30, 2010 11:32 AM PDT
    The cornbread was REALLY good! Guess what Xtreme and I are having tomorrow...... Yep, crawfish etouffee left over in the freezer from Bowling Green. I'll think about you all.lol
    • 1 posts
    June 30, 2010 12:44 PM PDT
    Okay miss smarty pants, enough of that attitude Please. We be thinking about you and Extreme chowing down on the finest crawfish etouffee ever made.

• 910 posts
    June 30, 2010 2:19 PM PDT
  • June 30, 2010 2:25 PM PDT
    I would like to thank all of you for making the weekend such a wonderful experience for Hollywood. He told me "He had the time of his life!!" He's had a rough couple of years with his health and surgeries, etc. and I felt truly blessed to see him get on that bike and go on an adventure - - which, by the way, I almost had to BEG him to go!! We are both excited about next year and hopefully I will get to come then. Good friends are hard to find - - and I do believe he has made some really GREAT friends!! Blessing on you all!!
    • 212 posts
    June 30, 2010 2:27 PM PDT
    Do we have to wait a wholllee year? why not in a couple of months?
  • June 30, 2010 2:35 PM PDT
    MrsHollywood wrote...
    I would like to thank all of you for making the weekend such a wonderful experience for Hollywood. He told me "He had the time of his life!!" He's had a rough couple of years with his health and surgeries, etc. and I felt truly blessed to see him get on that bike and go on an adventure - - which, by the way, I almost had to BEG him to go!! We are both excited about next year and hopefully I will get to come then. Good friends are hard to find - - and I do believe he has made some really GREAT friends!! Blessing on you all!!

All of us fell in love with Gary's sweet nature and smiling face. I hope you will be able to join us at the next one Mrs. Hollywood, it will be a blast!!!

• 413 posts
    June 30, 2010 3:00 PM PDT
    sidetrack wrote...
    MrsHollywood wrote...

All of us fell in love with Gary's sweet nature and smiling face. I hope you will be able to join us at the next one Mrs. Hollywood, it will be a blast!!!

...What a GREAT man of character! There are not enough good words of what I think of yer man; yer a very fortunate woman to have such a powerful presence in yer life and If Gary chose you as his soulmate then that says much of you as well MrsHollywood. I hope to meet you and Gary again on the next GTG or sooner if its allowed...Bless you both