Heat SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2072 posts
    June 28, 2010 8:36 AM PDT
    OK.... Just wondering. How do you handle summer heat on the bike. WAS going to go for a nice back country road cruise this afternoon. As usual, put on long pants and my riding boots. Grabbed a pair of fingerless gloves and a helmet. Walked out the back door and was SLAMMED by 106 degree temps outside. Walked back in the house, put the helmet and gloves away, slipped back into shorts and poured a glass of ice tea. This kind of heat is like riding face first into the bowels of hell  . Do you ride in this kind of heat? How do you do it? Enquirer Minds want to know !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 568 posts
    June 28, 2010 8:40 AM PDT
    can't be of no help here, but i'll swap ya anytime buddy... here is in the low 60s, it's considered warm, but 'tis wet too (again)
    • 5420 posts
    June 28, 2010 8:55 AM PDT
    I ride in the heat a LOT. We have great weather here in So Cal, but anytime I leave to go on a long ride it's through Central Cal, Arizona, or Nevada...all normally have summer heat over 105. I find the best way to ride in it is with a long sleeve white t-shit (keeps the sun of and you don't feel the hot breeze as much, and I have a pair of riding boots with nylon mesh air vents that keep the feet pretty comfortable. Other than that I just drink lots of water!!!
    • 2072 posts
    June 28, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
    Yea Lucky, water IS the most important of all. I always keep one in the freezer. As it melts during the day gives me some nice cold water. I have riding boots with the mesh and that does help somewhat also.
    • 601 posts
    June 28, 2010 11:20 AM PDT
    RIDE IN HEAT !!!!! jaazuz...hottest we get here in the height of summer is 85 degs..rode thru death valley in 2007 and it hit 112, I drank 5 liters of water and never needed a tree ! I had to wear a jacket cos the sand was cutting me to bits, ruined a good pair of raybans on me........loved every minute of it tho.
    • 2072 posts
    June 28, 2010 11:55 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    RIDE IN HEAT !!!!! jaazuz...hottest we get here in the height of summer is 85 degs..rode thru death valley in 2007 and it hit 112, I drank 5 liters of water and never needed a tree ! I had to wear a jacket cos the sand was cutting me to bits, ruined a good pair of raybans on me........loved every minute of it tho.

Even in the heat I guess it's still a good ride..........................................

• June 28, 2010 12:15 PM PDT
    Long sleeves, Good...Lots of water, Good...n my boots gots holes in m also good...
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 2072 posts
    June 28, 2010 12:57 PM PDT
    Seakers..... Know what ya mean about missin' the Northwest.... Lived in Kirkland, WA for a while. BEAUTIFUL country. How in the world did ya end up down in Georgia? I lived in Arkansas for over 18 years and know all about that humidity crap !!!!!!
    • 212 posts
    June 28, 2010 1:21 PM PDT
    Shorts and flipflops
    • 2072 posts
    June 28, 2010 1:30 PM PDT
    Shorts and flipflops

On a bike ????????    I DON'T THINK SO !!!!!!!!!!

• June 28, 2010 2:08 PM PDT
    Get wet and the breeze will dry ya out and cool ya down. The clothes wet.....! Use to carry a bottle of water with me when I was a back warmer in AZ. Kept me cool. LOL!
    • 413 posts
    June 28, 2010 2:15 PM PDT
    Coming back from Bowling Green Sunday around noon about 15 miles North of Montgomery; started raining like a double cunted cow pissin on a flat rock. Couldn't see shite but rode about a mile till the next overpass. Sat there about a hour and a half then headed back out. Sun came out, and the heat began steaming all the water on the road. Between that and the heat coming up from the motor I was cookin like a Christmas turkey at a homless shelter; It was FECKIN HOT folks!!!
  • June 28, 2010 2:49 PM PDT
    Ill take the heat over winters in Ohio any day
  • June 28, 2010 3:17 PM PDT
    i hop on, crank the tunes and go, with water bottles in my vest pockets
    • 2072 posts
    June 28, 2010 3:21 PM PDT
    FxrDude wrote...
    Coming back from Bowling Green Sunday around noon about 15 miles North of Montgomery; started raining like a double cunted cow pissin on a flat rock. Could see shite but rode about a mile till the next overpass. Sat there about a hour and a half then headed back out. Sun came out, and the heat began steaming all the water on the road. Between that and the heat coming up from the motor I was cookin like a Christmas turkey at a homless shelter; It was FECKIN HOT folks!!!

Blaine, AFTER reading the decription of your trip I WILL NEVER complain about our heat again !!!!!! AND, I might add, I ain't NEVER seen a cow like the one you described !!!!!!

• 1161 posts
    June 28, 2010 4:58 PM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    Seakers..... Know what ya mean about missin' the Northwest.... Lived in Kirkland, WA for a while. BEAUTIFUL country. How in the world did ya end up down in Georgia? I lived in Arkansas for over 18 years and know all about that humidity crap !!!!!!

Joined the Army from Oregon moved from North Carolina with my future Exwife to Wisconsin,  Temperarily moved to Georgia to get some VA things taken care of then my wife asked for a devorce so now im stuck here fighting the VA for my disability.  Once I get it i can move and get my first bike till then i'm stuck.

But been thinking about moving to Texas to get away from the humidity.  Because I can deal with heat it is the humidity that stinks to try to breath.
  • June 29, 2010 12:23 AM PDT
    I have a mesh riding suit from Olympia. Works very well. I just wear a wicking shirt and my shorts under it.
    Also have a pair of the mesh boots form Sidi,very good. That said last year my wife and I rode the Natchez Trace.
    When we were in Mississippi it was in the 100's and HUMID!!!! We would just stop in a shady spot or a place of interest, from 2:30 to 4:00. Get off the road during the hottest part of the day. One of the days we stopped at that huge reservoir down there(forget the name) took off our riding gear and jumped in the water. Soaking your shirt then riding works well too. Oh ...don't wear black!!!!
    • 568 posts
    June 29, 2010 4:51 AM PDT
    as i said we don't have that problem in Ireland, but i read before if ye can't dispense with wearing protection (high speed, sand, etc), just get yerselfs an oversized WHITE granfather shirt, and wear it over the leathers/corduroy... and YES, i believe plenty hydration is essential.
  • June 29, 2010 5:09 AM PDT
    FxrDude wrote...
    Coming back from Bowling Green Sunday around noon about 15 miles North of Montgomery; started raining like a double cunted cow pissin on a flat rock. Couldn't see shite but rode about a mile till the next overpass. Sat there about a hour and a half then headed back out. Sun came out, and the heat began steaming all the water on the road. Between that and the heat coming up from the motor I was cookin like a Christmas turkey at a homless shelter; It was FECKIN HOT folks!!!

lmfao! ! ! ! ! 
  • June 29, 2010 5:10 AM PDT
    We ride in So. Calif. Luckily we are just a hop, skip and a jump from several mountian ranges and the ocean. It's always cooler in the mtns and on the coast but dropping back down in Palm Desert is like riding on a skillet. I take plenty of frozen water and purchased a cooler for my bike to keep more frozen water. My hubby rides in a t-shirt and tennys. I ride in my boots (burn marks from exhaust taught me that lesson) and a light colored long sleeve shirt or a bright orange for freeway traffic. I also would like to wear the cooler around my neck as soon as I find one to buy. I don't mind the heat so much as long as I'm hydrated. Guess I'm like a lizzard..............

Oh yeah and to Seakers who posted this:

"But been thinking about moving to Texas to get away from the humidity. Because I can deal with heat it is the humidity that stinks to try to breath".

You've obviously never been to Texas..........try 100% humidity and not raining. If it's dry heat you like try Arizona or Nevada.
    • 467 posts
    June 29, 2010 6:09 AM PDT
    I have a "camelback" hydration pack that I fill part way and freeze then fill to completion before I head out. It was a lifesaver last weekend! Kept my back cool, kept me and my dogs hydrated and between that and the "neck coolies" it turned out to be a "not so bad 104 degree" ride! And I agree with the white cotton ls shirt and a wet bandana under the helmet with vents also helps.
    • 467 posts
    June 29, 2010 6:15 AM PDT
    RaceAngel wrote...
    I also would like to wear the cooler around my neck as soon as I find one to buy. I don't mind the heat so much as long as I'm hydrated. Guess I'm like a lizzard..............

You can buy the water absorbing crystals (called Soil Moist) at most any gardening stores and make your own! Simple enough to fold a 24" long--4" wide piece of material in half, sew it down the sides add 2 tbsp of crystals and sew the ends shut. Soak it and you are ready to go! I even have some full harness ones that I made for my dogs when we are at rallies. It gets hot on them too! 
  • June 29, 2010 6:30 AM PDT
    It doesn't make a flying drunk rat's ass what you do in S.E. Texas. 100 with 100% humidity and you're hot.
  • June 29, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
    TheExtreme wrote...
    It doesn't make a flying drunk rat's ass what you do in S.E. Texas. 100 with 100% humidity and you're hot.

yep, just feckin warm!
  • June 29, 2010 6:54 AM PDT
    FXR - I think I know that cow. :-)