How many miles on a set factory Harley tires?

• 58 posts
    October 24, 2010 2:59 PM PDT
    4K on my bike since I bought her end of May. Don't know how many before that, but not many, I think. Still better than 50% on the rear.
  • November 1, 2010 3:06 PM PDT
    I just traded up to a SG 2007. Had 7200miles, I figured it would be 'cheap insurance' (protection) to get a new set of
    Dunlops D402F.
  • August 5, 2011 4:06 AM PDT
    I get at best 5k out of my rear and 2 seasons out my front, about 12 - 15k on the front. I ride long hard fast slow wet and dry, just like everyone else and I agree 5k out of rear tire is just BS. I would not every consider a car tire on my bike simply becuase I do not feel like wrecking over a tire.

My brother just put a metzler ME 880, he says its a dual compound tire. Waiting to here the results of that. What I know for sure is when I put yet another set of tires on my Harley, they will not be Dunlops, it is time to try something else. I need more than 5k out of tire.

• 846 posts
    October 19, 2011 7:22 AM PDT
    The new Dunlops are little different. I've just replace the rear tire at with 20,000 on it (Maybe a little longer then I should have gone but not much). The front is still has plenty of tread. Will replace it next season. But the new D407and D408 series are pretty good dual componund tires. They handle nice and the wear seems to have improved. The only draw back at this time is I can only get them from the HD dealer. Even Dunlop lists them as OEM. No one else right now makes the sizes for the HD touring line from 2009 up. So even if I wanted I'm stuck with them for the time being. Not a real hardship for me.
  • October 22, 2011 10:34 AM PDT
    I am running dunlops on my electraglide and seems like the best I can get is right 5000 to 6000 miles at best I do slow take offs as well.the dealer ship says he feels like it could be alot of the highways and secondary roads around our area that has alot to do with the extreme wear...we do have indian highways..a patchie here and apatchie there..thank you NC
    • 567 posts
    October 22, 2011 12:07 PM PDT
    If a non-Harley can give his two cents ....
    We ride a LOT of "two up". My 09 Kawa Nomad weighs 880 lbs and came with Bridgestones. Although I've had to replace the rear tire, the front tire already has 19,800 miles on it and its still on the bike. I just replaced the rear with a Bridgestone because I got 12,000 out of the previous one.
    My previous bike was a 660 lb Suzuki Boulevard that also got good mileage out of both Bridgestones and Metzlers. I tried a set of Dunlops on it once but they only lasted 9000 miles. Didn't care for that too much.
    One consideration .. we live in Florida where you rarely wear out anything but the centerline of the tire. I hate giving up on a set of tires when the side treads are still very healthy.
  • October 22, 2011 3:05 PM PDT
    Pretty much the same here. First set stock tires (Dunlops), I got 17 k on the rear and still working on the front @22k. Replaced the rear with something that I don't recall and only got 6k, so I'm back to Dunlops.
    • 5420 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:43 AM PDT
    Just saw my rear tire needs replacing...10,726 miles
    • 58 posts
    August 3, 2012 5:47 PM PDT
    I put my 2d rear on yesterday. 13K the first time and 13K this time. Both Dunlop 402's. Still on the same front tire but it will need replacing soon (2K - 5K). I put the new Michelin commander II on the rear this time and will do that for the front as well when it comes up. I have heard good things about the Michelin. My '05 Road King doesn't seem to be as squirrelly in the curves as it was with the Dunlop. Anyone else run them? What do you think?
  • August 4, 2012 3:03 AM PDT
    I own a tire shop and on car tires the oe tires get way better milage than there replacement tires. Thats the dealers way of getting you to buy the same tires again, but there not the same ratings
  • August 4, 2012 3:05 AM PDT
    dont know what happened there? Its there way of getting you to buy another set
  • August 4, 2012 8:33 AM PDT
    Harley have started doing some good tyres nowadays,

I have Harley brand name tyres that are TRIPLE compound! They are on the 3rd season
    and showing no signs of any significant wear.....I am guessing we have a better surface
    to our roads than you guys have...I took the last set off with still a third left to go!!!

3rd season and hardly any wear on around 18k miles...
    • 5420 posts
    August 4, 2012 8:40 AM PDT
    Are the Harley logo'd tires over there also the Dunlops like here?
  • August 4, 2012 9:15 AM PDT
    Yep, they are, hard centre area, then an inch of medium compound, soft toward the edges...marvellous tyres, dont get affected by long big highway use, others are worn flat on centre a long time before you can destroy the edges...lol...I wont use any others for the harley now!!!
  • August 4, 2012 9:17 AM PDT
    Lucky, do me a favour mate, can you go into the message by sssmdg and cut the link down, its stretching my page here so the rest is unreadable...

Thanks Lucky.....
  • August 24, 2012 3:33 AM PDT
    Currently I have 25000 on the front oem tire that came with my 2011 Ultra Tour Glide. However, I have gone to the dark side on the rear and am using a Kumo run flat 195/55/16. It has 14000 miles on it and am expecting to go another 14000 miles. Ride and handle great! We'll see.....
    • 1 posts
    August 30, 2012 1:35 AM PDT
    Setting at 50,000 0n my Submarine... 4 back tires ready for 3rd front.
  • August 31, 2012 5:45 AM PDT
    I get about 7,000 on the rear and 11,000 on the front on my Road King. But I've been told I ride my bikes hard.
  • August 31, 2012 5:55 AM PDT
    05 Deluxe, 18,000 on the rear, 23000 on the front. both original stock tires, and I weigh about 170. Mostly laid back till I get the urge to race through the gears.
  • August 31, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
    I own an 09 1200XLC and just had the original front tire replaced yesterday.  It had nearly 17K on it.  The rear tire was replaced at 14K.  They wear faster if not properly inflated to specs.  I run 40psi in the front and 42psi in the rear.  Keep an eye on your air pressure.

• 34 posts
    September 1, 2012 12:36 PM PDT
    rear tire-5,000
    front tire-10000
    • 823 posts
    September 2, 2012 2:05 AM PDT
    Just replaced both on my 2012 Wide Glide. Had 12k on the Michelins that came on it. Replaced them with Pirelli night dragon. I will see how they last. Already got 1000 miles on them and they feel great!

6k on the Pirellis, so far so good although I have been running more in and around town.  I think my back tire is suffering some, along with my brakes. Need a road trip, badly.
    Sorry maybe a tad.........????
  • September 2, 2012 2:25 AM PDT
    ...I'm with Lucky with about 8-9 thousand on the rear and 15-16 on the front on the Ultra, I run Dunlops. I use Metzler 880's on the Fat Boy, very similar mileage. Really like the feel of the Metzlers and only opt for the Dunlops on the dresser due to price and overall rating on the road. Probably will try Metzlers on dresser some day, curious about the ride.
    • 611 posts
    September 4, 2012 4:38 PM PDT
    Just had the rear replaced @ 13,000. Front is still good. I ride a bagger with a passenger and I run Dunlop 401's. i live in Washington state, so I see a lot of rain. They are a good tire for the wet and rain, hard braking and cornering do well also. I'm leave stops slowly and brake the same.
    Hope this helps!
    • 34 posts
    January 16, 2013 2:49 AM PST
    These recent post indicating tire mileage over 10K are outstanding
    performance indicators and i'l make it a goal to achieve success like yours. i recently have been monitoring tire pressure, this should help.
    \\thanks guys and gals