Do You Wear Protective Clothing on Your Motorcycle

• January 10, 2010 5:59 AM PST
    Just saw ur pic Hambone...man you are crazy,would not want to ride like that here lol! Can you imagine a bee bouncing off your chest and landing in your lap ! Doh!
    • 1780 posts
    January 10, 2010 6:33 AM PST
    Some guys are t-t guys.....some guys are leg guys...........Hey man I'm a ass guy, and you ass ain't bad looking for a dude...........oh shit, why in the hell did is say that?????????????? I mean as asses go you know....shut up dumb ass your talking your self into a hole.
    Don't get any ideas....... I DON'T SWING THAT WAY.........just trying to give ya a lift.

Night Dragon
    • 2072 posts
    January 10, 2010 6:52 AM PST
    Boots, Jeans, Gloves (full when it's cold, fingerless when it's warm) and helmet ALWAYS................. Chaps and leather jacket as needed
    • 1161 posts
    January 10, 2010 7:38 AM PST
    LMFAO!! NightDragon you crack me up LOL!!
  • January 10, 2010 11:35 PM PST
    hambone wrote...
    Will this do for now?

Very funny Hambone!

• January 10, 2010 11:39 PM PST
    Usually wear a leather jacket...hot is only a concept where I live. Thick leather pants or chaps, of course gloves, steel-toed boots and a full face helmet. Always wanted a "cool" helmet until I went flying off a cliff down into a canyon in the Dolomites one year, since then I am happy to be uncool with a full-face!
  • January 11, 2010 3:36 AM PST
    always wear boots, will not even try to start the 69 kick start with out them. back when i was in the middle of the build i tryed to start it and had the peddle smake my foot. damn did that hurt. always jeans leather if its cold
    • 2 posts
    January 29, 2010 12:25 AM PST
    Just talked to the grandmother of a 3 year old who fell from a horse - no helmet, slide in stretch pants.
    Result concussion & severe, external abdominal injuries that will require months of plastic surgery. - Mind you the horse was not moving, she just fell.
    Any of you out there who are not wearing @ least - helmet - jeans - shirt w/ sleeves - shoes & gloves are nuts.

p.s.: Little girl will be OK, not so sure about her father after grandma is done
  • g
    January 29, 2010 12:41 AM PST
    BE SAFE ,NOT SORRY
    • 467 posts
    January 29, 2010 1:18 AM PST
    In my personal experience--denim is just as hard to pick out of you @$$ as gravel! I like my full grain leather, because I love my skin!
    Chat with you all in 22 days! My adventure begins today!
    Rubber side down all!
    • 46 posts
    January 29, 2010 2:41 AM PST
    Always wear jeans, boots, helmet & gloves. I know I should wear long sleeve shirt, but I like the feel of the wind.
  • January 29, 2010 3:05 AM PST
    Shorts and tee shirt with kevlar pants and coat with body armor, boots, helmet and gloves. Air flows through cloth and has zippered vents. Is water repelant and if wet inside will evaporate cool.
  • January 29, 2010 7:52 AM PST
    always wearing jeans and boots and glasses..quite a bit of the time i will have gloves on..but if it gets cooler i love my leather jacket and chaps as well..along with a do-rag and sometimes a face mask of sorts..i thank god for the day in september a couple years ago, on my way to sturgis (while everybody else was at the 105th) on the interstate with a couple of guys, and i bounced a DUCK off the fairing of my electra-glide at about 75 mph. it hit at the base of the windshield and grazed the side of my melon. it then bounced off the road and the guy following me swerved and missed it. if it werent for my klockwerks windshield i think i woulda been in alot worse shape. because of the shape of the windshield it pushed it to graze my melon instead of a direct hit and NO damage to the bike..someone was watching over us that day!!
  • February 4, 2010 1:15 AM PST
    Asphalt Rash is no fun, I wear jacket, gloves, boots, jeans and full helmet all the time. Living in Florida I do NOT wear black, my leather jackets are ventilated and quite comfy in the summer, gloves are a must as I work with my hands, full face helmet keeps things off my face and is mandatory for any night riding here, we got bugs big as softballs flying around down here sometimes.
    • 2072 posts
    February 4, 2010 1:30 AM PST
    ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS a helmet (full face in the winter, half helmet in the summer), leather boots and gloves. When it's cool out, leather chaps and jacket. In the summer (100 degrees plus) I will sometimes for go the chaps and heavy leather jacket.
  • February 4, 2010 1:44 AM PST
    Some don't know how well ventilated some jackets are today, mine are like turning a fan on soon as you start rolling.
  • March 23, 2010 11:04 AM PDT
    Amazing how my opinion has changed on this since I had the baby. Went for a ride for the first time since the baby was born. Had a GOOD helmet (new one), boots, and leather jacket. Won't go with any less for a while!
  • March 28, 2010 1:52 PM PDT
    Since I own a company that sells protective helmets and leather gear I of course always wear a new helmet as well as jacket or vest and chaps, and boots, but I undersdtand the freedom of feeling the wind in your hair. Have seen some pretty tragic results of buddies who rode without the proper gear. Ride on and be safe.
  • March 28, 2010 2:02 PM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

I dress for weather and not for “Safety”. The exception is I always wear jeans and boots, (nylon GI combat boots for warm days and leather insulated combat boots for cold days.) BTW I have found them to be the best boots ever since Uncle Sam gave me my first pair.  Once I tried to move my bike from the driveway into the garage wearing only slippers and damn near dropped it when my foot came out of the slipper.

Here is how not to dress...

Oh Rex ~ how funny! I see these 'dudes' on their bikes and ~ oh shit  my toe Owo ow ow ow~~~~
    Duh.
    Thanks for the visual... gear is important.

• March 28, 2010 2:08 PM PDT
    boots, vest or leathers, tinted safety glasses(wraparounds)
  • March 28, 2010 6:27 PM PDT
    Rex - - - You are so right! I have never found such useful boots as the green jungles I was issued . They are tough, light, dry quick, and are a great place to hide your Piasters - oops, I meant emergency dollars. I've used them for whitwater canoeing, ridin', hunting, everything.
  • March 29, 2010 1:43 AM PDT
    I wanna pair of green jungles!!!!!! Yeah...sometimes i get freer... just jeans, denim shirt and leather vest. I always have worn a helmet, gloves, and harley boots. I do like my skin on my body and all my toes on my feet. I have seen some bad injuries up close.... We are vulnerable for sure... It is an individual choice always, what we decide to wear, but I do feel concern when I see bare skin on a bike and always pray for their safety.
  • March 29, 2010 3:51 AM PDT
    ingababy wrote...
    I wanna pair of green jungles!!!!!! Yeah...sometimes i get freer... just jeans, denim shirt and leather vest. I always have worn a helmet, gloves, and harley boots. I do like my skin on my body and all my toes on my feet. I have seen some bad injuries up close.... We are vulnerable for sure... It is an individual choice always, what we decide to wear, but I do feel concern when I see bare skin on a bike and always pray for their safety.

Check the local Army-Navy surplus stores. Watch out for the cheap knock-offs though. Make sure they have the steel instep.

• March 29, 2010 4:02 AM PDT
    'wear the usual, jeans, boots, gloves, helmet. Leather jacket for winter, sometimes a vest, but I live in Nevada so it depends on those 100+ temps in the summer.
    • 19034 posts
    March 29, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
    ingababy wrote...

Inga, if you are talking about the jungle boots...
    I have been wearing them ever scince Uncle Sam gave me my first pair way back in 1967.  Being retired AF I could buy them at the BX but they are no longer military issue and therefor not carried by the BX. I have had good luck at good  Army - Navy stores. The green mesh type is a bit harder to find now but there are plenty of black mesh ones. By far the BEST summer riding boots I have found!