Disabled Riders

• April 16, 2010 10:46 AM PDT
    I have been rinding for 20 years and last Aug I had an accident where I totaled my  04 FLHTCI and lost 20 inches off my left leg. I am now learning to walk with my "Training" leg, a wooden foot on a post and plan to have my difinitive leg by summers end. I would like to hear from any other disabled riders out there to find out how they did as I fully plan to get back on a iron horse next year. I could also use the encouragement. This will be a tough summer with no bike. Thanks
    • 1516 posts
    April 16, 2010 10:51 AM PDT
    Hats off to you Lionelg. I don't any great advise or wisdom on the subject, but commend you for not giving up! I hope everything goes really well for you!

I do have one story for you. We were standing at the bar in La Grange one day and a bike went by us. It was pretty cool. The guy had put a sidecar on his bike for his wife that was in a wheelchair. She was in the wheelchair in the sidecar on the bike.. It was an inspiration that where there is a will, there is definately a way!

Good luck to you!
    • 5420 posts
    April 16, 2010 10:52 AM PDT
    Can't offer any advice, but I REALLY like you attitude!!!
    • 601 posts
    April 16, 2010 11:01 AM PDT
    This is a UK and Irish group, it may offer some advice and encouragement...good luck man.
    http://www.nabd.org.uk/ />
  • April 16, 2010 11:03 AM PDT
    Thanks for the inspiration!!! I bet you'll be on your bike quicker than you think with your determination and will.
    • 2 posts
    April 16, 2010 11:06 AM PDT
    No real advice but might be a good excuse to buy a side car. - Personally I like the thought of taking the old-lady & the dog along.
    • 2072 posts
    April 16, 2010 11:13 AM PDT
    Like everyone else has said, can't offer any advice but my hats off to you for the attitude. Hell, you'll probably out ride the rest of us!!!! Another thought............ Trike ..... I've heard that riding a bike with a sidecar is a whole different experience that really takes some practice. Again, just what I've heard.
    • 568 posts
    April 16, 2010 11:45 AM PDT
    hi Lionel, i also had a crash in August, my left leg was smashed but i was lucky not ta lose it. ta this day i'm in a Ilizarov frame, bone not healing fast and i'm re-learning how ta walk (on crutches), as i lost a lot of muscle tone.
    it's not easy ta be robbed of life on the bike, when the bike IS yer life, and it'll be a long year fer me too, but i want ta go back and, believe ya me, i will
    i don't have much in terms of suggestions, only sharing this as a way ta say ye're not alone, hang in there bro!
    except maybe, in yer case, ya could consider a bike with hand shift and clutch attached?! i know i would.
    best wishes, and wellcome ta CycleFish

ezzy
    ireland
  • April 16, 2010 11:50 AM PDT
    I worked with a young man who bought a 750 Suzuki around 78 as a senior in high school. in the third week of july he was hit by a car as he was getting out of his car. He lost his leg to the hip. after 4 months in the hospital and monthes in rehab he told his dad to fix the bike to ride with a sidecar. He got a leg but didn't like it so seldom used it. He still has the bike but doesn't ride as often in Wisconsin now. With the new trike kits and other options the ride is more important than what you ride...You can do what you want to do if you find out how it is to be done..May the Spirit guide and protect you and your desires. Be safe..
    • 467 posts
    April 16, 2010 12:06 PM PDT
    I personally can't offer any advise, but I do know a gentlemen that lives here in town with a prosthetic leg from mid thigh and he rides with us quite often. He just recently went to battle with the state and won his "handicapped" license plate for his bike! He lost his leg in Nam and just never stopped riding, but just recently decided to claim his status for his license plate on his truck--this made him think about his bike. Quite interesting....some of the looks he gets with his plates when parking in a "handicapped" spot!
  • April 16, 2010 12:50 PM PDT
    you could look into an older sporty that has the right foot shift, check on the net i know at one time i seen a site just for challenged riders. I am a retired Prosthetist and was very involved in teaching 3 track skiing for years and I know that you are only limited by what you think you cant do or will be to hard to do.
    • 1780 posts
    April 16, 2010 12:54 PM PDT
    Brother you are a rider.... it's in your blood You SHALL Prevail !!!!!!!!!!!
    • 1040 posts
    April 16, 2010 12:59 PM PDT
    Lionelg wrote...
    I have been rinding for 20 years and last Aug I had an accident where I totaled my  04 FLHTCI and lost 20 inches off my left leg. I am now learning to walk with my "Training" leg, a wooden foot on a post and plan to have my difinitive leg by summers end. I would like to hear from any other disabled riders out there to find out how they did as I fully plan to get back on a iron horse next year. I could also use the encouragement. This will be a tough summer with no bike. Thanks

You'll ride again Bro....Tha best to ya

http://www.mtb-amputee.com/motorcycleamputee.htm />  

• 126 posts
    April 16, 2010 1:02 PM PDT
    I wish you a speedy recovery. I have thought what if? and I would ride a trike. I still want the wind in my face and the freindship that the riders have. If you are feeling down let the people here on cf know we will give you all the help and suport you need. Do not give up on your dream. Best of luck to you and hope to see you riding soon.
    • 0 posts
    April 16, 2010 3:29 PM PDT
    First off you are truly an inspiration to others, just for the will to get back on and ride.

There are new bikes that have electronic paddle shift transmissions so the shifting won't be an issue. Balancing the bike at a stop is something that will be hard, but I did see a Goldwing that had electronic outrigger wheels that extended at under 5 mph and retracted above that. That is always an option. But, from your spirit, I would say that you won't need them.

Godbless and get back on soon!

• April 16, 2010 3:54 PM PDT
    You will be riding again and it is your will and determination that makes it so...perhaps sooner than later.

I have no doubt that you will continue to be an inspiration to others in many ways through sharing what you have been through and your perseverance in finding the way to make it work. The road isn't goin' anywhere and will be waiting for you. God Bless.
    • 1066 posts
    April 16, 2010 4:48 PM PDT
    Lionelg, it's your lucky day, as i am a peg-leg rider. Lost rt. leg a/k back in 1976. I had a VW home built trike for a while. It was ok but not what i was used to. BTW i was in a crash on a KZ900 Kawasaki. YOU CAN STILL RIDE, man it's not the end of the world. If you are going to get back on a Harley, it can be done. If you want to ride again this season, here is what i would do if you have the means to do it. First get a bike you can live with, find a Voyager Trike Kit, this is the removable kit. Balance will be an issue till you get a prosthesis that fits well... That's where the trike kit comes in. You will most likely need a Kliktronic electric shifter. It makes your shifter a push button shift. You need encouragement, man you came to the right place. If i cant push you along enough myself, all these other folks will help. I will assist you any way i can Lionel. I've got 36yrs. experience with a prosthesis. I currently ride a Dyna LowRider, with out any special equipment , just so you know life is not over after amputation. Anything you need Brother, just let me know, through messages. You don't have to lose this season, unless you are just not ready. Do remember that.
    • 190 posts
    April 16, 2010 5:52 PM PDT
    Sorryabout the loss of your leg. I have no advise as a disabled rider since i am not, however your attitude is awesome! I know it sucks to not be able to ride (although not the reasons your dealin with), but keep goin, mindset is half the battle and I believe you'll find a way to ride your iron horse again, good luck man.
    • 190 posts
    April 16, 2010 5:53 PM PDT
    and keep it up.
  • April 16, 2010 6:01 PM PDT
    I  you...alot of people would've given it up sooo you are a true road warrior....However the term Disabled Riders ? I see you as temperairely physicaly challenged......Cause you ARE up for the challenge and big enough to see the value in asking for input...... Very nice Bro.
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 19043 posts
    April 16, 2010 11:08 PM PDT
    Now that is a great attitude. Reminds me of my three legged dog story. Never give up.
    I did see a fellow once who had a tractor type clutch shift lever. It was a jockey shift with a clutch lever on the end of it. Worked pretty good he said.
  • April 17, 2010 5:00 AM PDT
    Guy I ride with has MS - but he has a custom built trike that with controls mounted on the bars so he doesn't have to use his legs. That guy rides in all kind of weather and doesn't let his lack of movement stop him for one little minute.
    Don't give in to the handicaps that life throws your way - overcome them and become a stronger person for it.
    • 86 posts
    April 19, 2010 8:39 AM PDT
    Never say never...you make me proud. My advise, stay away from negative people and attitudes. You want to ride....ride.  There has to be a way to get you on the bike again. I wish you all luck and don't give up you'll find your way. Happy riding
  • g
    April 19, 2010 8:42 AM PDT
    chin up dude ,all the best .
  • February 10, 2015 2:47 PM PST
    Freebird Custom Trikes & Motorcycles has a full line of disable and handicap parts, including electronic shifters, dual brakes and foot controls, amputee parts, and modifications.  Check them out at www.freebirdcustommotorcycles.com/shopfreebird in the handicap bike parts section or call 573-552-0090 for a quote