Waving to Other Bikers

• 1509 posts
    April 15, 2010 4:20 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    To add my opinion re Beemers. Although I would not ride one (style choice) I do think it is the BEST Engineered two wheeler on the road. I don't remember the other BMR riders being 'wave' challenged but I will try to observe.

Rex I believe they are over engineered that is why they require a more frequent maintence schedule.

when rideing I don't know how you could determine the make of the bike going the oposite direction especially now that every manufacturer wants theirs to look like the real thing (in my opinion LOL). If it vibrates like a hog and growls like a hog and marks it teritory like a hog it can only be a hog.

thank you thankyou very much

shows at 7 and 11 and be sure to tip the waitress!
  • April 15, 2010 9:41 AM PDT
    Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but my hubby and I ride BMW's and we ride with anyone on any type of bike, and we definitely wave to everyone, no matter what they ride. But for the most part we are just plain old friendly people, especially me! I myself am kind of like how Lucky described himself...I say hi to just about everyone, anywhere. If they don't say hi back, that's ok, they don't know what their missing. Being friendly just makes life a whole lot better.
  • April 16, 2010 1:48 AM PDT
    nightdragon wrote...
    Hey everybody if you see fartking waiving........it may be something eles he's doing........fanning. No body, but NO body will ride behind the fartking!!!!
    Dragon

How else am I going to get a turbo boost?  You can call me the Tailgunner.

That is a pretty bike RB.

Toni, like I said if you're on this site chances are you're good people.

CycleFish ROCKS!
    • 2 posts
    April 16, 2010 11:02 AM PDT
    This should make you BMW riders feel better

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2010/April/apr1510-record-breaking-sales-puts-bmw-on-top/ />
    I like BMWs especially  RichBest's 1965 R69S. Have no intention of paying the price necessary but I like them.
  • April 16, 2010 2:28 PM PDT
    Wave don't wave it doesn't matter to me, but when my wife or son ride with me they do the waving. My son is really good at it. :-)
    • 1066 posts
    April 16, 2010 2:55 PM PDT
    I told my wife when she's on back, the waving is her duty. Lol
  • April 16, 2010 3:24 PM PDT
    When I'm on the back I wave and when I'm in my cage I wave too. I just love the bikes and the men that ride them. (the single ones. For those ladies who have honey's. Not a man stealer! lol!) Ride safe!
  • April 19, 2010 4:28 PM PDT
    I wave to all. Respect is a 2 way road. To get Respect, one must give Respect. Thats my .2 cents. The road is meant to be shared and enjoyed by all. My experience( 4 yrs military, 11 months spent in Baghdad) life is way too short. Do not need to be a A hole.
  • April 19, 2010 6:00 PM PDT
    I always wave and I obviously ride a Harley. I've owned BMW's and Moto Guzzi's before & always waved then too.
    My wife rides her own bike and she usually rides behind me(her choice...I'm not a sexist) Many times I've bitched to her about oncoming biker's not waving, and she told me most of the time they do wave, but by that time I'm already past them. Because she's behind me she sees them wave.

p.s. She rides a BMW so she probably doesn't wave...I'm kidding!
  • April 19, 2010 7:59 PM PDT
    Do you wave to Cops? I have, some wave back, most don't....maybe it's the ones riding a BMW that don't!
  • April 19, 2010 10:13 PM PDT
    UltraGlide wrote...
    I always wave and I obviously ride a Harley. I've owned BMW's and Moto Guzzi's before & always waved then too.
    My wife rides her own bike and she usually rides behind me(her choice...I'm not a sexist) Many times I've bitched to her about oncoming biker's not waving, and she told me most of the time they do wave, but by that time I'm already past them. Because she's behind me she sees them wave.

p.s. She rides a BMW so she probably doesn't wave...I'm kidding!

Ha Frank could be you just look to mean for those poor scare bikers to wave back...
    I wave to anyone even cops and most wave back.
    One cop even turned around and pulled me over.
    just to ask me what I did. Told him I waved and he thought I gave him the BIRD.
    We had a laugh and parted company.. No bull

• April 21, 2010 2:54 PM PDT
    Not me but I did get a kick out of it.

The Brotherhood of the Road by Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way.

Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?"

• 190 posts
    April 21, 2010 3:33 PM PDT
    RichBest wrote...
    Not me but I did get a kick out of it.

The Brotherhood of the Road by Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way.

Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?"

I think this dude might have some issues, he really narrowed down his brotherhood, but toeach thier own I guess.

• 190 posts
    April 21, 2010 3:42 PM PDT
    RichBest wrote...
     How about this style 
    1965 R69S

Dont know to many BMW's, and not my style with the ones I have seen, but that one's pretty cool lookin
    • 190 posts
    April 21, 2010 3:44 PM PDT
    sidetrack wrote...
    I wave at every bike I see, including scooters, whether they wave back or not, thats up to them. My favorite are the kids in the back seat of a family van with their noses pressed to the window and their eyes wide watching me. Future bikers...!

Kids are the best, I aalways try to wave or nod to them, I love the way the little faces light up, and it reminds me of back in the day when I was a little 'un.

• 834 posts
    March 2, 2012 2:30 PM PST
    Saw a new post on this earlier and was going to mention this one, but now I can't find the one I saw earlier???

Oh well, this one has been burried a while so lets see if we can get some new input!
    • 5420 posts
    March 2, 2012 2:37 PM PST
    There have been a bunch of posts floating around on this.  But I haven't seen one in a while... you sure you weren't having flashbacks again AZ.

Nothing changed here; I still wave at anyone and everyone on two wheels - from scooters to Goldwings and everything in between. Well actually should say anyone with less than four wheels, 'cause I wave a trike riders to.

• March 2, 2012 2:49 PM PST
    I was a little shy about waving to other riders when I first started riding. Guess I felt like I wasn't a part of the group yet. But then I noticed them all waving at me and now I wave to everyone!
    • 6 posts
    March 2, 2012 3:20 PM PST
    what was the subject-waving, expartner personality or the thrill of twins. If you had to ride a BMW and listen to the tranny for any length of time you probably wouldn't be waving either. Been riding for 54 yrs now and I wave first and maybe try to determine what they are riding. I remember when just seeing another biker on the road was a thrill.
  • March 2, 2012 11:52 PM PST
    riding a dual sport 2000+ last spring through Milwaukee (nicest group of wavers) & around Lake MI...
    minor breakdown proved to be a nice way to meet some great people. Was helped by sportbikes and H.D. alike. Seems for the most part they wave to me and I wave to them...well, unless they are wearing "Timberland" boots.
  • March 3, 2012 12:11 AM PST
    I wave at everybody on 2 wheels, motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, bicycles, whatever. Most wave back but I'm usually going too fast to see what they're riding.
    • 4 posts
    March 3, 2012 12:37 AM PST
    It's not the bike brand, its the people. You can low-five someone and then park right next to em at a gas station. They won't even look at you or talk to you. The wave is a mirage. There's no brotherhood there any more.
    • 1855 posts
    March 3, 2012 1:11 AM PST

One time I had this emerald green 4x4 Dakota.  It was beautiful but I just couldn’t get anyone to wave at me.  Even after I put on a lift kit no one would wave.  So then I installed one of those propeller plug sleeves in my hitch and still nothing.  I thought to myself, “what’s it gonna take?”  Well maybe a gun rack will do the trick.  Nope.  Nada.  Then it came to me; a roll of cyclone fence in the bed!!!!  That should do it. Needless to say, that didn’t do it either. 

I started thinking to myself; “Hell, a Dakota ain’t a REAL truck anyway.  I mean, it’s as sturdy as the RAM’s but it’s still not a REAL truck. Maybe a ball bag hanging from the hitch might get some waves or a thumb’s up”.  But then again, a bag o’ nuts hangin’ from a Dakota?  Pretty disgusting, eh?

Oh, I continued to add to my truck; recon cab lights, cool powder-coated rims, black bed rails, front grille guards, a wench, etc.  For some reason I couldn’t get anyone to wave at me.  I even had that decal of the little guy pissin’ on a Chevy hopin’ to at least get an obnoxious gesture from Chevy fans.  But no, not one phuk off.  So I just gave up.  Who needs to be waved at anyway?

Well, at least my truck was lookin’ sharp as hell.  I liked it.  Don’t wave. I don’t care.  My truck and new Red Man chewing tobacco hat were enough.  Well suddenly I started to notice farmers waving at me from the seat of their tractor.  What the heck was that all about?  I pulled off the side of the road one day to check out a noise coming from my truck when a farmer pulling a hay wagon stops to see if I needed some help.  In doing so he asks, “Say, ya wouldn’t happen to have a chew would you”?   I replied, “Nah, I don’t chew”.  With that he just shook his head,  turned and walked away.

Imagine that will ya!!! After all this time tryin’ to get a wave!! I don’t have a damn thing in common with a farmer except that Red Man hat and suddenly I get acknowledged as if we’re friends?!?   I’ll bet that farmer was crushed to discover I was just a poser after all.  Ah well, it doesn’t keep me from returning a wave though; even if it is a bit forced.

Peace

• 823 posts
    March 3, 2012 1:21 AM PST
    Out here in NM and West Texas everyone on a bike pretty much wave all the time, people even wave or acknowledge each other in pickups too, especially on rural roads. I have noticed that the further north or east I go the less people wave or acknowledge each other. I have also noticed that the further from away from home I get the more I see the single finger wave..............
    • 1855 posts
    March 3, 2012 1:28 AM PST
    Back in the day we grey beards didn't take offense to the digital acknowledgement. It's what we did. But it was a thing more prevalent with Harley riders. Fist in the air, finger at the end of it. Really though; despite my fictional post above, I don't go out of my way to wave at anyone. Motorcycle riders in Ohio are only second to California and when we're out riding on a beautiful day all we'd be doing is waving. So I keep my hands where they belong; one on the throttle and the other on the OL's inner thigh. LOL

Peace