Waving to Other Bikers

• April 14, 2010 2:37 AM PDT
    You know since the original topic here on waving, I too have been paying more attention. I have also noticed the difference in attitudes from riders on different makes, but I also noticed the area makes a difference. When I go a bit north of where I live, where you only see a few bikes, I notice almost everyone waves at each other. I think there is more of a connection when there are only a few of you, kind of like when you meet someone from you hometown miles from home.

When I get into the areas where you pass at least one bike a mile or so, I notice people are more selective on who they wave to. Then the brand segregation kicks in.
  • April 14, 2010 3:05 AM PDT
    Been trying to figure out what you're saying Extreme? For the last 30 years, in my vocabulary at least, Double "Tap", has always meant you shoot'em twice. First one "Center of Mass", second one "Coup De-Grace" or "Head Shot"... Middle of forehead or in the back of the head! Double Tap Her??? Nah... Maybe have wild "Monkey Sex" with her.. Then let HER tell her sister about it! When I'm safely 4 states away! Live to play another Day... Hey jugo.... Never know WHERE these "Threads" will go.... Sarge.....
  • April 14, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
    Thats why they are called RUBS...........lol
  • April 14, 2010 3:40 AM PDT
    Its funny....i ride my own, hubby in front on his bike. He dont wave and I do.....I get sooooo many looks and waves..... LOVE IT!
  • April 14, 2010 3:44 AM PDT
    Oh yeah.....he is on a Honda and I am on a HARLEY....so hmmmmm.
    • 5420 posts
    April 14, 2010 4:03 AM PDT
    Thanks for getting this topic back on track!

As I said in the other posts on this I wave to just about anyone who rides. Although I do notice certain groups do not wave back, it doesn't really matter much to me. But then again I say hi to just about everyone I make eye contact with in day to day life, and only about half say hi back, but that's fine, not going to let it change the way I am.
  • April 14, 2010 4:59 AM PDT
    Now I see why you started a social website...you're a social person
  • April 14, 2010 5:23 AM PDT
    I always wave to the rider out there as a sign of respect and care for my fellow riders and most of them wave back.     I think if we are a community of brother with a great life style we should do it no matter what...!!!

• April 14, 2010 7:05 AM PDT
    I like to wave. Sometimes, I even wave at the little scoots... just cause I rode a scoot at one time.

It just says, I notice you and I got you. It's part of the ride in my eyes.

Whenever any of my daughters ride with me, I always tell 'em, make sure you wave to other riders.
    • 1780 posts
    April 14, 2010 7:36 AM PDT
    Just a quick joke...I've told it before but it seems like a good place to put it again. This is still on the subject pretty much....
    A hard core Harley rider is broke down on the side of the road, and along comes a BMW rider with all his matching headgear and leathers proper poster, and feels like being a good sport this day. The BMW rider pulles up and stop's behind the broke down Harley, he says any way I can help ya today. The Old Harley Rider, with his colors on, and a few miles on his shirt and jeans say's ....got a wrench? The BMW rider says why yes I'm always prepaired, as he roll's our a tool pouch (that also matches his leathers) and say's what size do you need? The Harley Rider say's don't matter......"I'm going to use it as a hammer anyway."!
    Dragon
    • 467 posts
    April 14, 2010 8:05 AM PDT
    Good one Dragon! It could have right out of my Dad's mouth!
    But back on the subject--I and my husband wave at everyone and some wave back and others don't, but what I am seeing more of is the younger set (18-30) not waving back. Nor do they use proper hand signals. What is up with that?
    • 1780 posts
    April 14, 2010 9:01 AM PDT
    Hey do we have any BMW riders on this site that would like to explain why you don't wave. We will not black ball you, Not the way we do business here
    Dragon
    • 75 posts
    April 14, 2010 9:10 AM PDT
    Here's my two cents... I wave to all riders (even scooters). I receive waves from less than half. Here's my observations: Harley riders almost never wave first and only about half wave back (I ride the V-Star 1300 pictured). The young riders never seem to wave. I don''t think they understand the community of biking or maybe it's all about the over-compensation of their self-esteem that's been drilled into them since preschool. They must feel entitled to the wave but not obligated to return it.  Anyway... I notice most riders 40-ish and up wave back. It's definately geographical because most Beemer riders here wave back. The other day a rider going the other direction on I-25 in Denver stood up and waved at me over the concrete barrier. Stupid, brave, overly enthusiastic, or really that good - you just never know... I'll keep waving at them all. Hopefully they'll catch on...
    • 1780 posts
    April 14, 2010 9:14 AM PDT
    Addition to the wave......if I pull up on a car that has any kind of Military bumper sticker, especially Viet Nam Vet Bumper sticker.......I pull up next to them and salute them! Be surprise the response is always positive.
    Dragon
    • 1066 posts
    April 14, 2010 9:19 AM PDT
    I usually wave to all, a ride is a ride, even the scooters. I rode a Suzuki scooter in 2005. I did'nt feel bad cause i was on a scooter, heck the thing would run about 120 M.P.H.
  • April 14, 2010 9:55 AM PDT
    It's kinda funny, the wave thing. Thirty years ago or so the road was a lonely place for bikers so when you came upon a biker you acknowleged each others ride by a wave because only he and you knew you were doing something special. Now with so many of us out there you gotta admit you're still doing something special and the wave is a sweet reminder.
  • April 14, 2010 12:55 PM PDT
    New member just wanted to throw my two cents in.

I ride a 1998 BMW 1100 RT. I wave to EVERYONE when I am able to. 70 % or more wave back. Half the time I dont even look at there ride. To call most BMW riders snobs is amusing to me, because most BMW riders think the Harley riders are snobs. I have been hassled, heckled, called a poser, told to buy a real bike, flipped off, cussed at, called UN-American for diving a German bike (US Air Force Vet), and now a snob. No offense its usually a Harley rider. I just smile, wave and keep on riding.

So, no we dont have  rebar up our butt (the seating position is very nice)
    I have a leather jacket its in my closet as it was way to hot and heavy.
    I take pride in my bike as most other riders do.   

So the next time you see one of us say hello, get off the high horse, you might be surprised we aint half bad.
    • 1066 posts
    April 14, 2010 1:29 PM PDT
    It's too bad not everyone has that attitude. Yeah,i used to think the Harley riders had their noses way up in the air. Now i ride Harley, and some still don't wave, i guess they are just way too cool for the rest of us. I don't care who waves and who don't. I'm in the wind, and Life Is Good................
  • April 15, 2010 12:43 AM PDT
    RichBest-No offense intended towards you. I did say tend to be snobs, wasn't throwing all of yas in the same pile. I know a few with Beemers and they fall into both categories-friends & my crap don't stinkers. If you're on this site chances are you fall into the first type.

Thank you for your service.

Oh, by the way I ride a Goldwing and nobody likes us. lol
    • 1780 posts
    April 15, 2010 1:51 AM PDT
    Hey everybody if you see fartking waiving........it may be something eles he's doing........fanning. No body, but NO body will ride behind the fartking!!!!
    Dragon
  • April 15, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
    I wave at every bike I see, including scooters, whether they wave back or not, thats up to them. My favorite are the kids in the back seat of a family van with their noses pressed to the window and their eyes wide watching me. Future bikers...!
    • 352 posts
    April 15, 2010 2:31 AM PDT
    I wave to pretty much all bikers.
    When I am out cruising I am happy...or out to clear my head to get happy, so why not wave.
    I nod back the the peeps in the cages that smile and wave or nod to me...they really wish they were out doing what we do all the time, they need the wave, nod or smile.

BTW...my car is a BMW 528i and I don't think I am a snob...JMO, I could be wrong
    • 19040 posts
    April 15, 2010 2:38 AM PDT
    To add my opinion re Beemers. Although I would not ride one (style choice) I do think it is the BEST Engineered two wheeler on the road. I don't remember the other BMR riders being 'wave' challenged but I will try to observe.
    • 2 posts
    April 15, 2010 3:45 AM PDT
    Usually give a "Thumbs-Up" to all - Do it w/ enthusiasm if the equipment seems really inappropriate for the task @ hand. - A cruiser on a dirt road - A scooter on divided slab.

Wonder about BMW riders - Had a rich-kid bud w/ a XKE & a BMW scoot. He would rat race his XKE against my POS Plymouth, get drunk w/ me, lend me his BMW, not get upset when I made lewd remarks about his mother (she was really hot) or his taste in girls (way too young & skinny) but would never ride his BMW around my Honda. - Think he worred about hurting its feelings.
  • April 15, 2010 3:57 AM PDT
     How about this style 
    1965 R69S