Missing Some of the Regional Food

• 910 posts
    March 30, 2010 11:36 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    When I leave the Philly area it is

Real

Philly Cheese Steaks

You beat me to this! I love driving through or visiting Philly for so many reasons but Philly Cheese steaks are high on that list:

• 601 posts
    March 30, 2010 11:39 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Real

Philly Cheese Steaks

When I am away from Texas

Real

Texas BBQ and Tex-Mex

Kindly enlighten me as to what a real philly cheese steak is, c'mon Rex i want a recipe!! love steak , I do.
    • 5420 posts
    March 30, 2010 11:42 AM PDT
    AdventureGirl wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Real

Philly Cheese Steaks

You beat me to this! I love driving through or visiting Philly for so many reasons but Philly Cheese steaks are high on that list:
    Don't forget to top it off with a piece of Cheesecake - as long as your in town
    • 1509 posts
    March 30, 2010 12:13 PM PDT
    Being from a unique area i n south western Pa. We have an assortment of culturers. We have clubs specific to heritage. Italian, croation, French, Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian. And so on and so on every summer we have a aheritage festival and the food is outstanding from buclava, gyros. Italians specialities and a lot more but being from the area where the wiskey rebelian started and spirits were used as parder and money was not needed the food I miss the most when I leave this area I get from a mason jar. Sortavlike old rockie top . We get are corn from a jar!
    • 910 posts
    March 30, 2010 12:21 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    AdventureGirl wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Real

Philly Cheese Steaks

Don't forget to top it off with a piece of Cheesecake - as long as your in town

oooh, I think its time for a ROAD TRIP!!

Hey Rory, this is long (and not filmed very well), but it should give you an insider's look into REAL Philly Cheese Steaks
  • March 30, 2010 2:20 PM PDT
    having lived in a number of stated and 5 different countreys there are a lot of different foods that I miss. I loved New Mexico food, anything with green chillys, Chicago pizza loved the food in Ethiopia and Nicaragua. About the only place that I lived where I dident care for much of the food was Azerbaijan, I dont like lamb
  • March 30, 2010 2:32 PM PDT
    i moved to clovis new mexico years ago as a kind of sabatical after losing my mother, the whole time i was there, all i wanted was bbq, didn't find any to my liking, but did get introduced to the green chili cass. incredible! and can't find that here in south central texas, well, not like it was there. and the catfish in alabama, outstanding!
  • March 30, 2010 2:45 PM PDT
    Imagine that badinfluence.... My last duty station was Cannon AFB NM. Just about spittin distance west of you know where. I lived in a little town way down south of there. We called it "Poor Tails" or sometimes "Poortaleez". Place called Portales NM.... On the way to Roswell from Clovis.....
  • March 30, 2010 2:53 PM PDT
    i ended up in portales working for the county there, well, RCDC, small damn world. i used to sit just off the highway at night and watch the jets take off. back on topic, grits with fried eggs and bacon, damn! i will never move up north haha
  • March 30, 2010 3:49 PM PDT
    Pretty strange. Being raised up in the hills of West Virginia and marrying a gal from Bangor Maine. I had to teach her about GRITS... Naw, not Cream O' Wheat, GRITS damn it... Anybody ever eat them a day old, sliced and fried? They have a food here on the Eastern Shore Called SCRAPPLE... Y'all know what that is?
  • March 31, 2010 12:06 AM PDT
    ezzy7ider wrote...
    deep fried alligator tail?! that fer real?! LOL

There's a place I been going to since the 70's in the center of Florida, middle of the swamp, west of "Yeehaw Junction" called River Ranch, they got the best damn Gator money can buy. Great place to ride and see for anyone coming through the state.
    www.wgriverranch.com/
    • 19046 posts
    March 31, 2010 12:13 AM PDT
    Scrapple is a Dutchie (Pennsylvania Dutch People) food. Like you said bikersarge, Very common here, and as for fried day old grits, on but sounds good. The Dutchies here have what is called "mush" similar to grits but corn based. Very popular sliced and fried.
    • 2 posts
    March 31, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
    shedsruty59 wrote...
    Being from a unique area i n south western Pa. We have an assortment of culturers. We have clubs specific to heritage. Italian, croation, French, Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian. . . . . .

Blundered on to an odd factoid - The per capita consumption of perogies  in Pittsburgh is 11X anyplace else _ Perogies, sauerkraut, kielbasa & Iron City
  • March 31, 2010 5:49 AM PDT
    I enjoyed Minnesota State Fair for the foods including Gator. Roasted sweetcorn in husk and "Butter" dripping dipped. Not in to fried candies, Coke and odd novalties but there is TexMex, Oriental, And Old home Church food service. Then 7 day coasting fast from the all day overloads..
    I forgot--- Southwest Ohio Old home farm meals like SOS (shit on a shingle), Chipped beef and milk gravy on toast. 
  • April 2, 2010 1:03 AM PDT
    I was born and raised in NY, and what I miss the most is the pizza. Don't get me wrong, the southern food is great, but just can't get a pizza down here like the ones in the city. For some reason even when you get people from NYC come down and open a pizza place, its just not the same.
  • April 2, 2010 10:32 AM PDT
    You know, that's one thing I noticed about living here in Utah, we really don't have any foods unique to the area.
    • 844 posts
    April 6, 2010 11:05 AM PDT
    I noticed that a lot of places west of the Mississippi don't really have a regional cuisine. I think it has a lot to do with the states in the east were settled uniquely by groups from different countries, and when they moved west they kind of took all the foods with them.
    • 5420 posts
    April 7, 2010 6:10 AM PDT
    Got to agree with that. I can't thing of any regional dishes from the western states.
    • 601 posts
    April 7, 2010 7:45 AM PDT
    • 352 posts
    April 7, 2010 9:14 AM PDT
    yea - whan I moved to Va Beach I had to make semi-regular "provision" runs back to NY to get all the staples; cheeses, dried sausage and the rest of the Italian pantry items. On nearly every trip I had to stop for some old time favorites - Chocolate Egg Cream, Hard roll & butter, a real bagel, Pizza!

And yes I remember growing up with pastina...used to give it to my son when he was a baby too. I do not think they have it here either though they are getting better on some things - the pizza I make myself.
  • April 8, 2010 12:15 AM PDT
    Being from Lubbock I understand about the Texas BBQ, Tex-Mex and anything to do with Clovis/Portales. My favorite food of all time though is from when I was stationed in The Netherlands. They have corner restaurants serving Shwarmas, food from Israel and the middle east. Lamb cooked on a rotisserie then sliced in finger cuts into a pan of olive oil. Fried until crispy on the outside, stuffed in a pita bread pocket and served in layers with salad. Eaten with a garlic sauce that tastes so good but makes your breath deadly from about 20 feet.
    • 352 posts
    April 8, 2010 12:29 AM PDT
    that sounds good Stone...but then being Italian, anything with plenty of garlic sounds good
    • 5420 posts
    December 12, 2011 6:18 AM PST
    You know another food I just realized I'm missing is a good submarine sandwich like I used to get in New York and New Jersey. For some reason even with the same ingredients they are just not the same anywhere else. We have one or two delis out here owned by people who used to own delis in NY and even then, something a little different!
    • 0 posts
    December 12, 2011 7:11 AM PST
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate where do I bloody start? Well beer I spose..You mob like ya beer a shitload sweeter and fruitier than ours..I ended up drinkin MGD's but still found it had to get a buzz coz your beer alcohol levels are alot lower than ours..I had a few pizza's in NY they were cool but we have alot of ham and alot more toppings on our pizza's here.Bloody good old fashioned meat pies! We have meat pies here called 4 and 20 pies that are beef and gravy pies that y'all gotta try at least once in your life..In south Dakota I tried alot of things that I never had before and most of it was bloody yummy..Something I aint ever gonna have again is a taco bells breakfast burrito..Those bastards can make ya shit like a goose within 10 bloody minutes of eating them..Not cool when ya gotta run and theres only stinkin long drop shitters handy..Oh and you mob and cheese.We dont eat alot of cheese down this way especially that bloody orange stuff.Next trip we're bringin vegemite too..CHEERS BOOF
  • December 12, 2011 7:34 AM PST
     . ....Hey Lucky. ....tole ya a while back I was gonna .."torture ya". ....with  a .."blast from the past" .......when I get a bad jones goin for  some.."jersey food". ...i whip up a couple of these for Chili n me. ....

. .....now tell me.....whens the last time ya had .....Hot Italian sausage...grilled sweet peppers n onions in olive oil and a TON of garlic... ..on half an Italian loaf...."toasted"....Smothered in sauce n melted mozzarella ? 

....is this..."Regional"....enough for ya,s ? .. 

. . ......here ya go my friend..