Missing Some of the Regional Food

• 5420 posts
    December 12, 2011 7:49 AM PST
    Aw man one of my favorites!!!  My mom's side of the family is VERY Itialian - grandpa came over from Italy and owned a butcher shop in Brooklyn.  The one thing that all 7 of his kids and 22 grandids learned how to make was his famous Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches...

I shared it here in a
    What's Cooking Post
  • December 12, 2011 1:24 PM PST
     . . .....Thanks for the recipe .. ...hope ya dont mind...I added it to my "collection"

. ..only reason Id visit jersey is to hit a place called Gaetanos....for a pizza steak with mushrooms or a cheese steak hoagie with hot peppers....orrrrrrrrr ..."Real Pizza". ...you know....big ol slices with cheese drippin off em and a nice "thin" crust. ...and of course to see my old ridin buddy....Johnny..

. ...didnt realize we had a...Food Thread goin on. .... ....I,ll hafta contribute... 
    • 19046 posts
    December 12, 2011 9:33 PM PST
    When I got back to SE PA in Sept after 4 months away the first meal I had was a Philly Cheese Steak (MMmmmm Cheese Steak). You can get things called that elsewhere but they are usually poor facsimiles.
  • December 12, 2011 10:41 PM PST
    Food? Did y'all say Food???
    I was born and raised in New Orleans and the varieties of cajun, creole, and local hometown recipies are mind boggling!
    It's all good down here,...wait it's GREAT... from Grits, to seafood to po-boys to our creole and french recipies....it's a wonder we all aren't 500lbs each....Food is one of our main tourist attractions in this city ~
    • 9 posts
    December 13, 2011 12:20 AM PST
    If you ever watched M.A.S.H., then you'll remember Klinger. And Klinger was from my hometown of Toledo, Ohio.
    And all he ever talked about, aside from gettin' a section 8, were the "Tony Packo's Hot Dogs"! The best hot dog in the world, to some. Funny thing is, they aren't "hot dogs". Not in the American sense of the word. The Packo's are Hungarian, and the "hot dogs" are actually some kind of sausage. The world famous chili sauce, was the draw. I personally, didn't care much for the sauce. But you take that sausage, slap it on the fresh-baked, warm, soft buns, with a little mustard and sour-kraut or cole-slaw, and Mm Mm Mm-Mm Mm!!!

Dang, only 951 miles to go get one. Shoot.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • December 13, 2011 7:24 AM PST
     ....I had one of those very "cheese steaks" just last week Rex, after the PGR Mission. Chili and I were hungry for some lunch and had seen this cool little bar with ornate wooden figures carved all around the wrap around porch...a very rustic looking place that had definite character. We had lunch there, and  upon entering I was surprised to see a rather small bar and and even smaller dining room. But we rolled the dice and stayed. I wasnt impressed while perusing the menu and decided that the "Philly Cheese"  looked the most inviting...and safest. They advertised it as being made with "sauteed" onions and peppers and cheese and.....piled high with meat ...on a "home made roll".....what came out was a a few measely pieces of "meat" that looked like it might be "one Steakum"....that was shreded and two pieces of Kraft cheese product.....melted on top. This had to be the 5th time I rolled the dice on a "Philly Cheese Steak" up here in the hinterland. Needless to say I was rewarded with a slight case of indigestion and still hungry. When we were done the woman I took to be the owner came by our table and said...how was it ...good ? ....I just gave her a polite smile and we left...making a mental note that we would not be back. I was also brave enough to try the Giant Philly Cheese Steak at Sub Way. It was giant...I,ll give them that...and it looked "good"....but the meat was like eating packing material you put in a box when you,re mailing something. So I,ll just be patient and wait for  a road trip.....like you said...

. ...theres nothing like a cheese steak from the Tri State area.....and thats the truth. .. 
    • 5420 posts
    December 13, 2011 3:59 PM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    When I got back to SE PA in Sept after 4 months away the first meal I had was a Philly Cheese Steak (MMmmmm Cheese Steak). You can get things called that elsewhere but they are usually poor facsimiles.

Still remember the Philly Cheese Steaks you sent for Laura and I.  I finally found a place that makes the closest thing I have found to a real Philly Cheese Steak.  They are about an hour from me and yes I do ride up there just for a sandwich!!!

• 7 posts
    December 14, 2011 2:02 AM PST
    Ha!

I grew up in Nevada City CA and Pasties (as in the British pasty) were as common as burgers elsewhere. I moved and couldn't find 'em anywyere. People thought I was crazy when I asked for them... "Uh... well... pastries are over in the bakery" :-/ Grrr....
    • 19046 posts
    December 14, 2011 2:14 AM PST
    ScottWelker wrote...
    Ha!

I grew up in Nevada City CA and Pasties (as in the British pasty) were as common as burgers elsewhere. I moved and couldn't find 'em anywyere. People thought I was crazy when I asked for them... "Uh... well... pastries are over in the bakery" :-/ Grrr....

I saw a sign advertising them in Lead, SD this year. The store was out of business but others told me they were fairly common in the Black Hills. I will have to do some cullinary research when next I am there (hopefully in June).

• 638 posts
    December 14, 2011 1:40 PM PST
    grew up in south Louisiana on cajun food and never left
    • 5420 posts
    December 14, 2011 2:00 PM PST
    kingbiscuit wrote...
    grew up in south Louisiana on cajun food and never left

Yep, definitely one of the foods that just ain't the same if its made outside the area!

• December 14, 2011 2:14 PM PST
    A Norwegian from North Dakota that loves the good old fashioned German/Russian Knoephla soup. Get it all over in small town restaurants in North and South Dakota. Never find it here in the Oklahoma panhandle.
  • December 15, 2011 1:47 AM PST
    Up here in New England it's hard to find hot pork rinds. Yes, I like them. And boiled peanuts is non-existant!!!!!!
    I do miss southern food!
    • 846 posts
    December 15, 2011 7:06 AM PST
    Since I’m still a New Englander and some of the rest of the family has located in the southwest it fried clams and Maine lobster they miss the most. When anyone comes back thats all they want to eat. With this be the holidays some of the family will be coming back to the Northeast (I don’t know why it’s cold here) and I’ll be having fried clam and lobster twice a week from now till New Years. Oh were not talking necks here but WHOLE clams. Steamed clam and beer is a summer time treat here.
    • 844 posts
    December 15, 2011 7:43 AM PST
    Chaz, sounds like you should pack up some clams and chowder and head out to visit them in the Southwest... much nicer weather.
    • 2 posts
    December 15, 2011 11:15 AM PST
    ScottWelker wrote...
    Ha!

Just head to the Upper Peninsula - 1st thing after crossing the bridge & last thing before heading home- My favorite riding food, one of them anchors you for the day - Another regional food I miss is fresh water fish, with bonus points if it's smoked
    • 7 posts
    December 16, 2011 3:28 AM PST
    Sweet 99Savage I'm on my way ;-)

I spent some time on the east coast, driving through Penn. Missed this though :-))

• December 17, 2011 10:09 PM PST
    After being stationed in Hawaii for four years, I grew quite fond of Ahi Poki. A raw tuna salad made from small cubes of tuna, ground seaweed, onions, sesame oil, & soy sauce. Try finding that anywhere but Hawaii.