the new Harley 48

• 844 posts
    February 1, 2010 11:13 AM PST
      whats everyone think of the new Harley 48 (sportster) for 2010!!!! I like the look and the foward controls make it look a little more comfortable than the nightster.
      the retro look is awesome and its not a bad price!! 
  • February 1, 2010 11:23 AM PST
    I posted this on my website and asked the question: "What does the 48 represent?"

I'm at a lose!
    • 19040 posts
    February 1, 2010 11:46 AM PST
    I like it but probably would look funny settin' on it. I like the low riding fat tire look. Needs a set of 16' apes though.
    • 0 posts
    February 1, 2010 11:52 AM PST
    "It is in recognition of the iconic peanut tank first introduced in 1948"
    • 190 posts
    February 1, 2010 12:48 PM PST
    I'm not sure about the underslung mirrors, but other than that I like it.
    • 5420 posts
    February 1, 2010 12:48 PM PST
    Raywood wrote...
    I posted this on my website and asked the question: "What does the 48 represent?"

I'm at a lose!

Just needed to read the news release I posted when it first came out...

http://www.cyclefish.com/BikerNews/blog/161/ />

• February 1, 2010 1:12 PM PST
    First the Fat Boy, and now the Skinny Boy. Was just over at the HD site, and was shocked to see how some of the prices on new bikes have dropped. CVO is still as high as Giraffe balls, but the regular big twins have dropped to reasonable.
  • February 1, 2010 1:23 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Raywood wrote...

I'm at a lose!

Just needed to read the news release I posted when it first came out...

http://www.cyclefish.com/BikerNews/blog/161/ />

Ah, missed that one.  Didn't know the peanut tank had been around that long.  Good call Gary!

Thanks
  • February 1, 2010 1:48 PM PST
    I like the look of it and they price em so people can buy them so all good.
    • 513 posts
    February 1, 2010 6:38 PM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    I like it but probably would look funny settin' on it. I like the low riding fat tire look. Needs a set of 16' apes though.

This would be more for you then, i built it in '98.

• February 1, 2010 7:03 PM PST
    Dyna wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Very nice Dyna.....good job!
  • February 1, 2010 8:22 PM PST
    looks like a good bike to chop
  • g
    February 1, 2010 9:05 PM PST
    looks good .
  • g
    February 1, 2010 9:05 PM PST
    looks a right bad ass bike .
  • g
    February 1, 2010 9:06 PM PST
    u wid have to get a free gun with it though !!
    • 19040 posts
    February 1, 2010 11:03 PM PST
    Yeah Dyna That's it...

Nice work !!
    • 1780 posts
    February 1, 2010 11:45 PM PST
    Dyna wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Sweet......Oh baby you know what i like!!!

Dragon
    • 1780 posts
    February 1, 2010 11:47 PM PST
    I'm usually not a big fan of black power coating items that use to be chrome........but I think it could grow on me.

Dragon
  • February 5, 2010 1:01 AM PST
    Great looking bike, I don't know why they don't finish the xr1200 with updated suspension and loose 100 lbs, they would have to build a new plant to keep up with orders. So many people that buy naked Eurobikes today would want one, I don't get it.
  • February 7, 2010 6:40 AM PST
    I don't care for the bike.Just looks like another "old" bike from the motor co.I think they need to stop living entirely in the past.Some new tech and design would go good with the old.Like Flatlander said,"finish the xr1200 with updated suspension and loose 100lbs".....but that ain't gonna happen.
    • 2 posts
    February 7, 2010 11:45 PM PST
    Flatlander wrote...
    Great looking bike, I don't know why they don't finish the xr1200 with updated suspension and loose 100 lbs, they would have to build a new plant to keep up with orders. So many people that buy naked Eurobikes today would want one, I don't get it.

+1
    HD does have an uncanny ability to recycle toe same weary crap & make me lust after it. I really do like the looks of the 48 & by powdercoating instead of chroming they increase the "Made in USA" content. (Plating operations are an environmental nightmare which is why most of them have gone off shore)
    But if HD really wants me to buy something new from them again:
    - Updated ADJUSTABLE suspension
    - lose 100 lb +
    - drop the XB engine in

(p.s.: They already have a new plant. Sold the equipment @ fire-sale prices but the plant is there, a trained workforce is out there. - Come on, HD or Victory or somebody,  Am a "Made in USA" kind of guy & I really do want to buy a new scooter sometime. )
    • 0 posts
    February 8, 2010 8:55 AM PST
    Be patient. Harley has been chasing a demographic that has consistantly been getting older. They are now realizing that the people they have been targeting are to the age they won't be riding a lot longer, so they are going after the women riders now and are seriously looking at how to entice the "younger croud" into getting on a Harley.

There will be a major change in the next 5 years or so in the lineup.

Just my opinion...
  • February 9, 2010 11:12 PM PST
    They should lose that thing and bring back the Deuce.
  • February 10, 2010 8:53 AM PST
    Not my style but absolutely love the looks of that new Sporty.

jb
  • February 10, 2010 9:16 AM PST
    Looks pretty slick. Only problem is that I would look like a monkey tryin to screw a peach seed on it.