What Do You Always Take?

• August 11, 2012 5:18 AM PDT
    What are your neccessaries for a ride?  Helmet/leathers/armor doesn't count, we're talking the stuff you can ride without, but you never do.

For me it's a flask of Wild Turkey (for keeping warm, don't drink and ride kids), a $5 multitool from wal-mart, a small hammer (for making "adjustments" to the bike, not people's wing mirrors, promise) my crap bedroll, a couple extra packs of smokes and about 15 bic lighters (I lose those things faster than I can smoke the cigarettes they're supposed to light).  I've got it all jammed in a backpack strapped to the queen seat on my KZ750, with my gloves and goggle.  The backpack also does a pretty good job holding my jacket under it when it's too hot to wear it.

What about you?

-Z
    • 544 posts
    August 11, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
    Android Phone
    • 1855 posts
    • 5420 posts
    August 11, 2012 6:53 AM PDT
    Depends on where I'm going.  Since I have hard bags on the Road King I normally have water, cell phone, knife, tool kit, first-aid kit, jacket and gloves with me on all rides.  When I am traveling I have lots more stuff.

Here are the tools you will find in my tool kit...

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/Biker-Chat/Bikers039-Topics/What-Tools-Do-You-Carry-on-Your-Motorcycle-3866-1.html />
    • 3006 posts
    August 12, 2012 4:14 AM PDT
    Stuff I carry regardless of where I am headed,my hip bag, which I can carry just abt anywhere after I get off the bike,tho its not a necessary item. It carrys a couple of items which I find usefull at times yet not always needed.
    My favorite ride pins are stuck on it,it carries some dollar coins I have kept with me riding over the last 12 years,also my Harmonica,my camera,a handy pocket knive w/assorted tools on it.The harmonica is for those chance music jams I stumble across on my journeysor for those times when I find a quiet place to kick back n jam on the harmonica..

stay safe & enjoy the ride
  • August 12, 2012 5:18 AM PDT
    always a map, water and believe it or not a bed roll and mini beauty kit, soap comb, face cream, hey ya never know when while cruising on that road that ya say F' this and keep going............have a great one! "T"
    • 5420 posts
    August 12, 2012 5:41 AM PDT
    Good point "T". I'll have to remember to take a few more items with me on short rides once this last kid is out of the house and I can start say f' this and keep going!!!
  • August 12, 2012 8:41 AM PDT
    I usually take a couple of prospects...lol...

They pitch camp, they carry all spare crap, they get a brew going, they sort out food, they fetch-they carry...lol...

They get well looked after by me - I dont have them do anything I wouldn't do myself...

They make my trip easier by taking the pressure off me, all I do is make decisions...lol...

If I aint got it with me one of them will go fetch...If we need something one will go find...

SORTED!!!
    • 601 posts
    August 12, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
    leatherman, smokes,puncture kit, and a very large grin................oh yeah, sometimes i swop the grin and bring my wife.
  • August 12, 2012 12:01 PM PDT
    Funny man Rory!!!

• 80 posts
    August 13, 2012 1:07 AM PDT
    Tool roll, cellphone, bedroll, cash, 9mm, small flashlight, Frogtogg rain gear, knife, jacket, goggles, T-paper and gloves are always with me. A planned extended or or long range trip has additional equipment as required for time of year.
    • 0 posts
    August 13, 2012 9:03 AM PDT
    Always? The only things that is always in the bike is the basic tool kit, plugs and compressor. all together in a small carrier and my sunglasses.
  • August 21, 2012 10:58 AM PDT
    even though it may bite me in the ass someday, i dont even know where my TOOL KIT is on my wing.   even if i did, i wouldnt know how to get it out of the wing!!!!!    and if i figured that part out, i wouldnt know which end of a wrench to use or where to put it!!!     really i aint that bad, but, close!       this would be me if i tried to fix something on the wing!   but i always have maps,   my GWRRA helping hands book, that has everyones name and address in it, in case i break down somewhere, i call them and see if they can help,  a flashlight,   a light jacket,  a heavy jacket,  and plenty of smokes!    oh and my debt card, for gas.   hey, its a goldwing, what can i say?        yall keep on winginit    rick
  • August 21, 2012 11:31 AM PDT
    Ice chest
  • August 21, 2012 1:52 PM PDT
    Ditto, RaceAngel..always have my softside cooler in one saddlebag.My other saddlebag carries extra gloves, glasses, cell phone, tools, owners manuel, extra key and fuses.....get off the bike cap, pair of walking sandals to ditch riding boots,extra t-shirt and shorts just in case I decide to stop and play tourist.No, I don't pack makeup, just some camping toilet paper & bug bite wipes.....I always get stung.Have a Labor Day weekend photo from several years ago, by the time I got home my whole right side of my face was swollen....looked like I had been at the dentist office.
    • 79 posts
    August 21, 2012 5:37 PM PDT
    Always hve my tool kit,extra oil tranny fluid and primary fluid. a cell phone and in central ohio you never ride with out your winter gear, not even in july
  • August 23, 2012 12:15 AM PDT
    on day trips, I always have a tool pouch, cell phone, cigs, clear safety glasses, sun block, and some sort of cash
  • August 23, 2012 4:17 AM PDT
    I just got back from a trip, and I think I used just about everything I had packed, and only slightly missed a few things I left at home, but was able to make do with what I had.

The key things I did remember this trip was rain gear, extra fuses, and a spare headlamp bulb.

When my group decided to depart Toledo Ohio at 5:00 am last Saturday, I wasn't quite prepared for the temps, barely 50 degrees. So, I layered on two long sleeve t shirts, a leather shirt over my leather vest, and topped it all off with my usual denim jacket. I also put on 2 pairs of socks...1 thin pair of knee socks plus my usually thicker pair that hits mid calf, about the same as my boots. Since I wore my roomiest boots, I had enough room to add a pair of water resistant but breathable socks over the top. I also have the same fabric in a glove liner, so I had them on under my normal gloves. Since I had decided at the last minute to leave my chaps at home, even though I had treated them with waterproofing during my pre-packing prep, I put on my rain gear pants to keep my legs warm. All in all, I stayed warm enough to keep going.

I did lose all my running lights and my headlight this trip, so I was glad I had a spare bulb and extra fuses in my tool bag. Also, my horn had come loose and was vibrating against the cover. I had the tools on hand to take the cover off, but rather than risk over-tightening the horn and damaging it, I used a zip tie to fix its position. It didn't rattle the rest of the trip.

The other savior was a spare credit card. Too many stops in too many states resulted in my first card getting shut off for a potential fraud alert. I used a backup card until I could validate my first one with the card company.

And after a few idiotic moves of cagers and tractor trailers I was glad I had the ashes and patches of my biker angels with me to keep me from becoming road kill. Yes, ashes, really.

My other favorite thing to have with me on bike trips is my iPhone. I was able to use it as a GPS, play music along the way, update my Facebook status for the benefit of friends and family, and keep track of or dress appropriately for the weather. I knew whether the raindrops I felt were just the edge of a random cloud and nothing to worry about vs the start of a soaker for the next hour. It also has my entire service manual on it, just in case!
  • August 23, 2012 4:20 AM PDT
    Oh yeah, I don't usually ride INTO the sun when I plan my own trips, but since I was with a group, I found myself doing just that.

I usually wear shades that are graduated in tint, so I can look through the darkest part when there is glare, and the lighted part in tunnels, shady sections of the road, and during dusk and dawn. But the darkest part wasn't dark enough, so I did buy a new pair of shades at a rest stop to help deal with the sun glare. They will find a permanent place on my bike from now on.
    • 58 posts
    August 23, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
    All the time on my bike I have: Bungee net (large) and 2 long cords, toolbags (2) with everything I think I could possibly need (except the torque wrench - won't fit), extra gloves, raingear, owners manual, extra safety glasses, 1 qt oil, chamois, and an old t-shirt/grease rag.
    • 467 posts
    August 24, 2012 5:25 AM PDT
    The things that stay on my bike at all times are few.....bungee net, wet wipes, sunscreen, extra goggles, ear plugs. All else gets packed as needed. Never ran across a situation in 20 + years that I needed anything more for daily riding.
    • 12 posts
    August 28, 2012 1:07 PM PDT
    NEVER leave home without my camera, and Elmer ( my mascott moose). always on the bike, rain gear, spare clear visor, towels and spray cleaner, tire plug kit, tools and phone, and most of the time, my GPS
  • August 28, 2012 2:01 PM PDT
    Well, I don't carry nearly as much as some of you do-but gotta have my wallet,earplugs and FOB!
    Maybe I trust that if anything goes wrong God will send help my way.
    • 1 posts
    September 3, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
    octane booster.
    • 844 posts
    October 9, 2012 12:16 PM PDT
    The only things I always have with me are... a jacket (if I'm not wearing it when Ieave), small tool poouch, bottle of water and cell phone.