trailer vs ride

• May 9, 2012 5:06 AM PDT
    i recently went to a major rally and stayed at motel with lots of bikes parked outfront and a lot of trailers in the parking lot.ive always thought to each his own, if you ride or trailer is your own perogative.but a couple staying at the motel won a prize for traveling the fartherest and i noticed them at the motel trailering thier bike on sunday.now im not one to care about these awards but i had to laugh because i wonder if the people giving the award new they trailered thier bike.i think the award kind of looses merit if its givin to someone who does not ride thier bike to the event.just my thought.
  • May 9, 2012 5:15 AM PDT
    Buttholes! Lemme guess, they were full dressers too?
    • 5420 posts
    May 9, 2012 5:30 AM PDT
    Yep, like you I pretty much don't care how or what anyone else does, but I RIDE MINE.  I have always said if you see my bike on a trailer Call the Police because it's being stolen.

Even though I couldn't care if others trailer their bikes, there are still a few things that make me laugh.  I understand if you own a real nice camper and you are going to a long rally you may want to take advantage of the camper - fine.  But what makes me laugh is when I see a touring bike in the back of a pickup truck or being pulled behind a truck or a car - damn put that thing on the road... you can fit all the gear in your car on that bike.

One of my favorite things to do is when I see someone at a gas station on the way to a rally with the bike on a trailer, I will go up to them and ask if they need help fixing the bike to get it back on the road!!!!

One day I'm going get an old compact car, strip everything out of it and tow it behind my bike to a rally and wave to those on the road towing their bikes 

And as for a furthest traveled contests, they should ALWAYS BE FURTHEST RIDDEN!!!
  • May 9, 2012 5:30 AM PDT
    I hear ya, man! That wasn't cool. Hubby and I have a trailer but we only use it on really long trips. There is NO WAY I could ride my Street Bob for hours and hours on end. No way.
    • 16831 posts
    May 9, 2012 5:47 AM PDT
    I do realize that some folks have good reasons why they have no other choice but to haul their bikes sometimes.
    I've been there myself after a wreak in 1990 where I had 3 cracked vertebrates and a crushes tail bone, and my ride limit was 25 miles before having to stop, so I still could enjoyed short rides in the Black Hills.

But what bites my butt is the folks that try to hide the fact that they did, and purchase "I Rode Mine" T-shirts.
    This couple that stayed in White Wood at the same place we did had us convinced they "I Rode Mine".
    On the way home we stopped at Wall Drug, I saw the guy getting his pick-up and trailer out of a trailer lot.
    • 80 posts
    May 9, 2012 6:32 AM PDT
    Back in the day, if you trailered a bike to an event or rally no one would even spend a minute to talk to you. Society has changed as well as lifestyles and work requirement. Some trailer because they are physically unable to put in the hours on the road. Some can't get the time off work for a long haul event. The reasons are numerous today. I prefer to ride to my bike to the destination if I go or not go at all. In any event any who trailer to an event or rally, no matter the reason should be treated as a local entry. I never care about a riders reason for trailering as long as the rider is honest about the ride to the event.
  • May 9, 2012 7:53 AM PDT
    @Lucky...Thats funny!! I can just see the bike pullin the car! Great!
    As far as trailering or not I agree w/Seawolf the reasons are numerous BUT I would rather ride!!
    That guy who took the trophy for travelin the farthest??? They should be ashamed! What a hollow victory...No pride...
  • May 9, 2012 8:10 AM PDT
    I ride mine, even after 2 heart attacks, 5 stents, and a double bypass. But I have gone to riding a dresser..lol
    • 1855 posts
    May 9, 2012 8:20 AM PDT
    It's a dangerous ride across I-90 heading into Sturgis having to deal with all the trailers: dually's with 2 dressers in the bed, pulling an RV, pulling a trailer with more bikes on it. Unfreakin'believable. But hey, everyone makes a power run in their own way. The first time I trailered my bike the trailer broke down, I off loaded the bike, left the trailer at the direction of a LEO, rode to my destination (OL drove the truck). Came back and the trailer was stolen. Hell, it wasn't even my trailer. No, I don't trailer anymore.

Peace
  • May 9, 2012 9:00 AM PDT
    StreetBobGirl wrote...
    I hear ya, man! That wasn't cool. Hubby and I have a trailer but we only use it on really long trips. There is NO WAY I could ride my Street Bob for hours and hours on end. No way.

SHEEEEOOOOOT!!! In 2010 I rode my 2007 Street Bob from Seattle Washington to Lebonan Pennsylvania! Great trip and it only took me 4 days!
  • May 9, 2012 9:03 AM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    StreetBobGirl wrote...

SHEEEEOOOOOT!!! In 2010 I rode my 2007 Street Bob from Seattle Washington to Lebonan Pennsylvania! Great trip and it only took me 4 days!

Sounds like Trailer Karma! LOL

To me it's simple, you buy a bike that gets you there.
    • 1516 posts
    May 9, 2012 9:05 AM PDT
    Trailer???..... we have one of those, it fits nice behind the bike..
    • 823 posts
    May 9, 2012 9:54 AM PDT
    I have 4200 miles on my new bike I have had for about 2 1/2 months. Rode it home from the dealer in February in the rain. It has 60 trailer miles on it, reason being is I had to ride my bike to go pick up my pickup and stock-trailer from my daughter. Only way to get them both home was put it in the trailer. I wish I could have pulled that rig with my bike! I worried about my baby all the way, got out and checked on her twice... I don't need a bike trailer I would have ulcers from worrying....................
    • 2 posts
    May 9, 2012 11:17 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

One day I'm going get an old compact car, strip everything out of it and tow it behind my bike to a rally and wave to those on the road towing their bikes 

If I ever run into anybody doing that the donuts are on me every time I see it

• 1780 posts
    May 9, 2012 1:32 PM PDT
    Now here was a site to see.......Back in the 70's when the TV show CHPs was all the rage I saw Chip and Ponge riding on there CHP bikes on a trailer going down a less traveled freeway. I mean I know that is how they filmed those guys.......It just looked strange to see!
    Dragon
  • May 9, 2012 1:59 PM PDT
    The word trailer sucks the joy right out of me.....if I can 't ride I don ' t go
  • May 9, 2012 2:16 PM PDT
    i agree yall,riding to and from the events with your friends is as much fun as the events themselves.
  • May 9, 2012 2:41 PM PDT
    Nice lookin' comfortable seat ya got there Rob...
  • May 9, 2012 3:05 PM PDT
    Buddydog56 wrote...
    Nice lookin' comfortable seat ya got there Rob...

Even more comfortable than my lazy-boy..

• 2 posts
    May 9, 2012 4:02 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

Brilliant! F'N Brilliant!!!!!

• 9 posts
    May 9, 2012 5:04 PM PDT

Ok, try not to laugh...but when I "drove" down to Daytona this year, I saw a lot of trailers.  WITH FLORIDA TAGS...WTF?  I mean seriously, you LIVE in the same state, and your trailering???  FFS's...
    Part of me wants to think, it's a lot of "older" folks, who just don't have it in 'em any more to ride more than a couple hundred miles.  But, NO.  These were folks of all ages.  And I was disgusted.  Ya'll know how bad I want another bike right now, and I can tell you this...unless my legs fall off, there won't be any damn trailer in my world, unless it's
    BEHIND ME!!!  And Lucky, you ought to build that rig, and take a picture of it.  We can have T-Shirts made.

Now, let's see who can come up with the winning slogan...

Ride Free 
    Tweek  Trailer?  I don't see no stinkin' trailer...

• 19040 posts
    May 10, 2012 1:07 AM PDT
    StBobber wrote...
    Lucky wrote...

Brilliant! F'N Brilliant!!!!!
    Man there was a couple posts I could quote...Lucky Effin BRILLIANT!
    Debra, Now that was Funny!

Now my opinion. Trailers do have there place. If time is short and the destination is far. But taking a prise for distance does not set well with me. I trailer Rex now but I also take my house ( and an 80 pound pup named Riley) with me so I must. BUT (there is always a big but) Rex has traversed over 70K miles since he came to live with me in May '04. And 13K of that was a 48-state-in-one-run trip.

• 1 posts
    May 10, 2012 1:14 AM PDT
    I rode to Sturgis from fargo in 2010...whileat the chip i got an award for 2nd longest distance travelled..I flew from Sydney Australia...I should have got first place...but the trophy was gigantor...and I couldn't have packed it ...so 2nd was cool. It didn't matter to the organisors that I flew over..then rode. But yeah i did notice a hell of a lot of trailers...I think more should ride..cause a whole bunch of em can't ride that well as it is...they really need the practise...the day i went to Rushmore with a group...I learnt plenty...stay the hellaway from groups....i struck out by meself..alot safer.
    • 1364 posts
    May 10, 2012 3:03 AM PDT
    We have riding are bikes to a lot of "Trailer Rally's"........ At Street Vibrations a few years ago People couldn't believe that we rode ALL THE WAY from just south of Seattle to Reno. I just told them "hell it's only 650 miles" Thats a day trip for Deener and I. We figure on riding the baggers till the day comes for trikes. Guess the trailer will come AFTER the Trike days are done, If there are any.
  • May 10, 2012 4:08 AM PDT
    Please be nice to them because trailering is a sickness that some people suffer from, and there is a hotline for them to call. 1-800-2-scared-2-ride