trailer vs ride

• 3006 posts
    May 10, 2012 5:04 AM PDT
    LOL good post,
    Love the response's !!

Lucky you take the cake on this one,trailerin like a small compact is very doable I bet !! The looks of amazement would be worth laughs all the way to Sturgis LOL

If I ever have the opportunity to git there,there is no way in the world I would trailer the bike,seems like that would defeat the whole purpose of going??? Tho I do realize people who do trailer, do it out of concern for time constraints & other valid concerns I dont have any issue with it,like anything else in life I try not to judge others,saves me a lot of grief LOL
    • 846 posts
    May 10, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
    There are times and needs for trailers. They're as different as the riders we all are. But to take credit for riding a distance it was sitting on a trailer is not right at all. But there are all kinds.
    As for my self over all my years of riding and owning different bikes I've only use a trailer once. That was because it need some work I couldn't do. So it wasn't rideable to start with. This is one reason Sturgis is still on my to do list. I haven't planned out the time to ride out and back from New England that and the money to get there.

I do, do Laconia up in New Hampshire each year and coming in on one of the back roads it funny to see in some of the large parking lot in towns before Meredith and Laconia packed with trucks and trailers with them rolling there bikes off to ride into town. As I ride up and back to my house at night those same trucks and trailers are gone when I head home. These are day trippers trailering up.
    To me as well as a lot of you its the ride not the destination that counts.
    • 0 posts
    May 10, 2012 5:25 AM PDT
    I have a trailer for the two bikes, as well as a trailer to pull behind the bike. BUT, the only time I trailer the bikes is if we are on a vacation and traveling in the motorhome. We set up camp and ride for a few days, move a couple of hundred miles and ride for a few days. etc. Cheaper and more relaxing than motels every day.

My wife and I have traveled over 60K in the last 3 years on the bikes (riding) and have ridden through 49 states and 3 provinces of Canada, so we do ride. But there are times when a trailer is OK.
  • May 10, 2012 7:47 AM PDT
    Favorite T-shirt, I rode my bike to trailer week!
  • May 10, 2012 1:11 PM PDT
    I"m not a fan of the trailer. If I put my bike on a trailer I will tell you that it will flip upside down and put its tires in the air and little x's will appear in its head lights.
    Folks, NOTHING I mean NOTHING is worse then sitting in Chicgo traffic on your bike, NOTHING except the Jackass in his truck pulling a 16 foot trailer, who then notices a car lenght between you and the car infront of you, then swings his truck and trailer in to that spot a spot that was too small for his truck, on the way by ya he gives ya the thumbs up..................wow yeah man them trailers are cool! Maybe if he road once in awhile he might realize that not only does he not know how to ride his bike, but he doesn't even know how to drag a trailer, or drive his truck..........................just a few thoughts from the woman that has been run off the road over the years by more folks with Harley sticks proclaining true freedom of the open road meaning "ride to live, live to ride"on their trucks and trailers................just a though have a great one "T"
  • May 10, 2012 1:33 PM PDT
    Last summer we did a "camp n roll" to Santa Barbara. There were no rooms anywhere for less than $ 200.00 a night and no parking, So we threw the bikes in the toy hauler and off we went. Had a great camp ground, Rode all over the Place for three days. BBQ'd cocktails and a campfire, other friends showed up on the weekend, We had packed house and a great time.With splitting the cost between all us us, it made for a cheap weekend and a hellava lot of fun.
  • May 10, 2012 3:31 PM PDT
    Cal22, I'm with ya all the way. I prefer to ride if I go, but if someone wants to trailer their's, fine. However, it's just wrong to even accept an award when it's trailered. I'm getting older and thinking of getting off the sport oriented rig on longer rides. But at least I'll ride that Sport Tourer if I wind up with one.
    • 1 posts
    May 11, 2012 12:36 AM PDT
    2 sides to every coin.... As my job has me on a job site for long periods of time I always trailer a bike so on the rare Sunday I don't have to kill a sub I can get out and explore the counrty. Then when at the expensive storage locker I ride, do 200 miles on way to have breakfast with friends. Get bored and head in a direction, does not matter where I go, just going. As far as Rallys I do not do them any more as I have been told I am anti social.
    • 79 posts
    May 11, 2012 4:01 PM PDT
    start with i have only had my bike on a trailer once.last year for sturgis. planned on riding but to make a long story short.we ride 4 wheelers in ky and my wife had a crash. fractured skull and alot of broken bones.she had to be care flighted to w.v.my fxsts with a 4 inch over front end will beat you to death.she did not feel she could ride 1250 miles in 2 days and still enjoy herself while we were there.next year we are going back and we will be riding
    • 823 posts
    May 11, 2012 4:09 PM PDT
    I think the problem with trailers is that there are so many people who don't ever ride anywhere except after they unload at an event, usually once a year. Commonly know as RUBS. I know one personally, good guy but his bike is 4 years old and has half the miles of my 2012 that i have owned for two and a half months. I guess it takes all kinds but I can't help but think maybe those people are a little dangerous to ride around. It took me some miles to get in sync with mine and then I go and put new mini apes so i gotta start over. Then I gotta load it and go on a 300 mile "test" trip. Just saying.............. I can handle my ride and I know it! But that said, don't judge someone just because they are trailering, we don't know all the circumstances (see above post)
    • 1516 posts
    May 11, 2012 4:27 PM PDT
    GaryTJ wrote...
    I have a trailer for the two bikes, as well as a trailer to pull behind the bike. BUT, the only time I trailer the bikes is if we are on a vacation and traveling in the motorhome. We set up camp and ride for a few days, move a couple of hundred miles and ride for a few days. etc. Cheaper and more relaxing than motels every day.

My wife and I have traveled over 60K in the last 3 years on the bikes (riding) and have ridden through 49 states and 3 provinces of Canada, so we do ride. But there are times when a trailer is OK.

Livin the dream.. ride on

• May 11, 2012 8:07 PM PDT
    Trailers are fine, just not at bike rallies! Best tee shirt and bumper sticker ever: Nicer trailer...
    (underline) PUSSY!
    • 9 posts
    May 15, 2012 11:14 PM PDT

This is IT!  The ONLY way to trailer....

FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!  

Ride Free 
    Tweek

• May 16, 2012 11:46 AM PDT
    If you see my ride on a trailer, I called triple AAA because we broke down however I will admit that I do like when my buddy brings his trailer because we can pack all of our large gear that we can't haul on the bike.
  • May 16, 2012 1:26 PM PDT
    I'm gonna throw some different thought into this, I see it so many times, two well dressed Harleys in a little two wheel trailer rated at 800 lbs, traveling 10-15 mph over the limit behind a car that really shouldn't have a trailer hitch at all. Y'all do know these little trailers and most larger trailers don't have brakes...and the added weight doubles your stopping distance. Not to mention alot of people aren't good at pulling trailers, forget they are 10-20 ft longer, as they merge and push you off the road. Its always good o know someone with a trailer, that takes care of it and will come get you. So, when your on two wheels and look back at the Prius towing two Ultra Glides, comming up behind you, get the hell out of the way.....they cant stop!
    • 823 posts
    May 16, 2012 4:33 PM PDT
    Stumblefoot wrote...
    I'm gonna throw some different thought into this, I see it so many times, two well dressed Harleys in a little two wheel trailer rated at 800 lbs, traveling 10-15 mph over the limit behind a car that really shouldn't have a trailer hitch at all. Y'all do know these little trailers and most larger trailers don't have brakes...and the added weight doubles your stopping distance. Not to mention alot of people aren't good at pulling trailers, forget they are 10-20 ft longer, as they merge and push you off the road. Its always good o know someone with a trailer, that takes care of it and will come get you. So, when your on two wheels and look back at the Prius towing two Ultra Glides, comming up behind you, get the hell out of the way.....they cant stop!

Brother you nailed it!

• May 16, 2012 6:48 PM PDT
    The only time any of mine have been trailered was haulin them out of impound. once out of sight... I'm ridin again.
  • May 16, 2012 10:19 PM PDT
    Nope I ride!! Gotta agree a full dress on a trailer is disturbing. 2 major back surgeries and still going