How do you pick up a dropped bike?

• 395 posts
    March 24, 2012 11:02 AM PDT
    I'm posing this question here because i was hoping "proper technique" would be covered when i went to the local H.D. garage party....it was not. I asked while i was there, i recieved two answers:
    1. Cops usually lay it down further then use the momentum to spring it back up.
    2. If there is a man within a mile of you he will pick it up for you.
      I know a lot of you guys and girls have had to pick the bike up off the ground...so please tell me, what is the best way.....Thanks. 
    • 5420 posts
    March 24, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
    Well, I am sorry to say but I happen to be doing this a lot lately .  For some reason I have dropped my bike several times in the last few months just out of plain stupidity.  The dumbest being when I lowered the lift without the kick stand down - even worse I did it twice in a one month time!!!!!

This video shows pretty much the technique that works best for me.  Which is basically putting your butt against the seat, get a firm grip and just walk backwards toward the bike.  Uses nothing but leg muscles and is pretty easy...

• 1161 posts
    March 24, 2012 11:17 AM PDT
    I just saw a cop do it at the Victory demo rides before they canceled it but a victory don't fall like others I found out so I'm not sure but I asked the same question in the Motorcycle Safety Course I was told that will be shown when some one drops one of the bikes,( and it never happened).

Well asked question! I will be watching this as well.
    • 1161 posts
    March 24, 2012 11:20 AM PDT
    Cool, thanks Lucky!!!
  • March 24, 2012 11:30 AM PDT
    Lola is just like the video except a lot more in gravel, and a lot less graceful too. I picked up my king after we were hit, it wasn't easy but well I did it. have a great one! "T"
  • March 24, 2012 11:32 AM PDT
    I will remember that if and when it ever happens. Cool video.
  • March 24, 2012 11:32 AM PDT
    When I was a kid I knocked over my fathers FLH in the garage, I had that bike back up in 2 seconds. It's amazing what fear can do...hahaha
    • 395 posts
    March 24, 2012 1:33 PM PDT
    Thanks for the video Lucky...when i take my riders course at the end of April i will make sure to have them demonstrate this for me.....and thanks for the other replies as well, i appreciate every bodies input!
    • 567 posts
    March 24, 2012 1:43 PM PDT
    And, with the modern electronics that are in all bikes nowadays ... don't expect your bike to fire right back up. You'll have to let it set for a couple of minutes before it will fire. Its some kinda safety sensor mechanism that cuts the bike off when its dropped to help eliminate the possibility of fire.
    • 1516 posts
    March 24, 2012 2:49 PM PDT
    Great video Lucky..but you dropped your bike twice in one month, you admitted it here and no is giving you any shit for it.. what has become of this site...:)
  • March 24, 2012 3:01 PM PDT
    This method really works, my husband dropped his dyna in the garage and due to back problems , he asked me to help him, and i got it up just like the video, and i am 5 ft, it made me know that i can do the same to the sporty if i drop it again.
  • March 24, 2012 3:28 PM PDT
    I didn't see the video yet. A friend of mine, who rides a Goldwing with plenty of weight, says he turns his back to it, takes hold of the handle bar and passenger grab, squats down, puts his body against the seat, and backs up and lifts to get it back up. I've never tried it, but he says it's the best way to get a heavy bike back up on two wheels.
  • March 24, 2012 3:32 PM PDT
    After watching the video, my friend was right after all...lol...great video Lucky.
  • March 24, 2012 6:35 PM PDT
    cool have to remember that
    • 3006 posts
    March 24, 2012 8:13 PM PDT
    Good video Lucky !!!
    I have seen a video on another site where they took a lady and a VTX like mine in a grassy field,dumped it ovr and she managed to pick it up just like the video.I recall dumping my bike in the parking lot at the horse tracks,and backed my rear up to the seat put a hand on the handlebar one on the seat and stood up,not easy as it was lying on a slight down hill pitch.Its definitely do able for ladys too,dont think you cant do it !!!
    • 1855 posts
    March 25, 2012 1:43 AM PDT
    I've dropped my bike a few times over the years, but never with the kick stand up; always on the kickstand side. It's a whole different deal in that scenario, especially if it's a Ultra.

Peace
  • March 25, 2012 3:22 AM PDT
    Hehehehe.....Lucky admitted it.....TWICE in same month??? .....hehehehehe.....
    There ya go DebraJo...lol...well, someone had to do it didn't they?
    It may as well be the Limey from approx 5437+ miles from Lucky...lol...

Just a slightly different point of view, I have used the method as shown in the video....and of course it works and works well, but now that I have a leg that just simply dont bend anymore I can no longer do it that way, so I will paint you a slightly different picture.....

If you have hip problems, if you have a bad lower back...or like me who has a leg that dont bend anymore.....try this way.....its exactly the same principle.....The only difference is that you stand facing your downed bike, you put a hand under the tank on the ridge of the tank, other hand under edge of saddle or any point you can grip firmly, or the frame if you can reach it, or the gaps in the fairings if thats what you have...keeping arms tight to your sides you lean forwards over the bike so your head is now pointing toward the underside of your bike, then keeping arms and back straight you inch your feet toward the bike, this is a basic use of principle of levers, the pivot point is between the hands and the bike instead of backside with the bike as in Lucky's video ...

Keeping back straight etc you become a solid straight line, once you have got to where you are at point of balance your head and shoulders are way over the bike, at this point you are facing the bike and in better control when lifting it off the kickstand side, at point of balance you are able to put the kick stand down...

Nice easy stick drawing I just did to show you below...

Doing it this way you are facing the bike the whole time, your whole self is like a rigid pole and its only your feet that do the work, this is a very easy way for me to lift someones bike, if you are on a loose surface of any kind this method is harder than the other -unless- you have some very soft soles on your boots...lol...yeah, back to soft soled boots again...lol...
    • 846 posts
    March 25, 2012 3:23 AM PDT
    Summary: If adrenaline or fear doesn’t give you the strength to lift your bike the video that Lucky posted works as I’ve had to use it myself on a Road King. It the most promoted way to pick up a bigger bike.

SolarBill offers a good suggestion to most newer bikes will need a few minutes to reset and you will to after getting over dropping your bike you’ll need a few to settle down away so give it a few before starting off again.
  • March 25, 2012 3:34 AM PDT
    She does actually show the variation on how to in the video from the kickstand side...its just when you have the balance use a foot on the kick stand or turn and hold the brake and do the kick stand....either side it seems like the best method.....unless you have injuries.....and then just do the same only with you facing the bike.....
  • March 25, 2012 3:49 AM PDT
    all I did when I dropped my roadking is I left it there until someone else picked it up!!
    • 2 posts
    March 25, 2012 7:17 AM PDT
    Never been down of pavement - Always 5 miles up a jeep trail - Was not a problem when I rode light Jap bikes but the Uly fights me, when on loose stuff wants to rotate on the protective puck
    This is what I probably end up looking like

• 1161 posts
    March 25, 2012 8:35 AM PDT
    Damn, 99Savage I could feel his pain between laughter fits. Another thing that would have sucked would be soft sand as well.
    • 9 posts
    March 25, 2012 9:44 AM PDT
    Nice technique.  Wish I'da known it was that daggone easy...I had to fight mine up, on a couple of occasions.  (ok, more than a couple...lol).  That wasn't quite the method I used.  Mine was more, get a thigh under the seat area, (if it fell either way) and lift.  Surprisingly, I got the bike up that way, although my legs burned a lil' bit after doing it. But from now on, I'll be using this method.  Sure saves a lot of wear and tear on the lower back...and you don't look like you might give birth, at any moment...

RIde Free 
    Tweek

And Lucky...at least it was only the bike that went down, eh?
    • 395 posts
    March 25, 2012 11:03 AM PDT
    Thanks for the laugh savage.....i felt for the guy too...if i ever have that much trouble i will go to plan "b"...bat my eyes smile real pretty and say in my sweetest little girl voice "can you help me please......", works every time........but that will be after i throw my back out trying to do it myself,lol
    • 9 posts
    March 25, 2012 12:09 PM PDT
    Whenever I lay my bike down alone, I do use the proper technique, by lifting the bike with my legs, with no problems. If I lay my bike down in front of a guy (or guys), he (or they) always come to my rescue by lifting the bike by the handlebars and using lots of muscle.  I have never seen a guy lift a bike by using their legs.