Rain Gear: WHEN do YOU wear it?

• 601 posts
    February 16, 2012 7:16 AM PST
    Could be worse boy.....you could be from Cork like !!
  • February 16, 2012 11:12 AM PST
    Montana is also a place where you can have four seasons anytime of the year. My rainsuit is always on the bike and ready to put on at a moments notice. Temps can go from the 20's to the 100's anytime you ride in the mountains.
  • February 23, 2012 12:31 AM PST
    when it rains that's when I pull mine out. It depends though there are many times I've just road right on and went into places and poured me boots out then wrang the socks out, I've been in bathrooms and tried to dry me cloths the hot air blower things, news paper in boots, then other times gone 3 miles all suited up and wished well I din't put it on. but I've got to say this "Everything is Better When Wet" have a great one "T"
    • 823 posts
    February 23, 2012 3:50 AM PST
    I have started wearing my rain pants for wind pants when it is 40 to 50 degrees, works great. On another note, I failed to wear a raincoat about 4 years ago. Now I have a three year old daughter!
  • February 23, 2012 5:41 AM PST
    Guero wrote...
    I have started wearing my rain pants for wind pants when it is 40 to 50 degrees, works great. On another note, I failed to wear a raincoat about 4 years ago. Now I have a three year old daughter!

Hmmm...well, I hope you enjoyed the ride, at least! LOL

• February 23, 2012 6:00 AM PST
    Damn those frogg toggs, and everything like them...hahahahaha.....had them about 7 years now and still aint worn them once...lol...I have about 8 sets of 'proofs that I have never worn, all types of materials, all kind of degrees of proofing etc...lol...I still tend to just go to wherever even if it looks like rain, starts raining, clear sky, it dont matter ...lol... I forget them anyway!!!
    • 823 posts
    February 23, 2012 8:18 AM PST
    Fefe wrote...
    Guero wrote...

Hmmm...well, I hope you enjoyed the ride, at least! LOL

She was worth it and she loves daddy's motorcycles!!

• February 23, 2012 8:59 AM PST
    My rain gear is a liner that goes inside my Joe Rocket jacket, and liner inside the Joe Rocket pants. In the summer time you will sweat profusely with it on. Thus, when I know I'm heading into rain, or starting out in rain I'll put it on. I'll also get it off asap because of the sweating issue. In the winter time, the liner stays in anyway. It's tempting to find a rain jacket the fits over the mesh jacket and get the pants regular size.
    • 834 posts
    January 3, 2013 6:17 AM PST
    I notice as I get older it takes less rain for me to pull out the rain gear. There are two reasons 1) I don't care if I look like a dork anymore 2) I normally have more time to get where I'm going and don't worry about taking the time to pull over and put it on.
    • 1 posts
    January 4, 2013 12:52 AM PST
    All my riding buddys call me the rain goddess. If you travel on a bike about with me you will get wet. I always have them in the Submarines saddle bag but I like a little rain so they only come out for tropical stroms and tornadoes.
    I will not put them on when I am already soaked, to little to late. Okay I did once in a torando but I knew it was only going to get worse before I got home.
    • 844 posts
    January 4, 2013 2:22 AM PST
    We get lots of rain in the Houston area, so I always have mine with me. If I am going to work and it even LOOKS like rain, I wear it. Nothing worse than spending the first few hours at work in damp clothes. If I am heading home and it is over 70 degrees, I don't. Just enjoy the rain and put on dry clothes when I get home.

Most of the time out on the road riding I go by the temperature. If its a cold rain I wear them, if its warm rain I don't.
    • 5420 posts
    January 4, 2013 3:52 AM PST
    "Rain Gear: WHEN do YOU wear it?"

Maybe it's a trick question, but I'm gonna go with... When It Rains
  • January 4, 2013 6:15 AM PST
    living in the Pacific NorthWest... the rain gear never leaves the bike... wear it often...lol
  • January 5, 2013 12:59 PM PST
    During tropical depression Eric!
  • January 6, 2013 11:18 AM PST
    I have some gear that I have never took out of the bag. I just usually ride through it. With all that plastic in front I really don't get wet unless is stop. (to put gear on hahaha).

A good weather app to know which way to go helps to dodge some of it. I don't mind getting a little wet but I hate for the bike to get wet. (That means a wash and wax job when I get home.) I won't ride in really bad rain because of other cars that often don't look out for a bike in the rain.
  • January 8, 2013 12:45 AM PST
    If it looks like rain & you're not close , put it on . It really sucks being wet in the saddle all day not to mention wet & cold
    Rain gear is always with me , if not you can bet on seeing the second Flood of Noah

I use Filson tin pants & jacket . They're basically a heavy waxed canvas & if you hit me with a fire hose for hours on end I'll stay dry . As for my leather , a good biweekly or monthly oiling with redwing boot oil keeps everything somewhat waterproof say maybe 60 minutes or so longer than without it

Oh if you see it old lady on the back , get indoors fast . There's a world of bad weather on its way , without fail
    • 5420 posts
    January 8, 2013 1:52 AM PST
    No doubt Brooklyn, especially where you are. Out here in Cali we get a nice warning where it starts to drizzle and then starts raining a little harder, and a little harder. We were in up sate NY on our way to the Harley Rendezvous when we saw the clouds and figured we would wait for the drizzle to see it it was going to rain or not. Well we found out you guys in the north east don't get that... the sky just friggin opened up on us. By the time I could slow down and pull over we were soaked to the core!
  • February 26, 2013 4:27 AM PST
    "we saw the clouds and figured we would wait for the drizzle ..... the sky just friggin opened up on us. By the time I could slow down and pull over we were soaked "

Lucky , Guess you didn't see the sign

Welcome to the North East , wait 20 minutes you're day will turn like a back road
    • 1 posts
    February 26, 2013 9:37 AM PST
    When we decide to do Bikecations we would get good quality rain suits and boot covers. I found ventilation is important, if you want to stay dry from the rain and don't want to get wet from sweat; get a quality rain suit. Look for ventilation and reflectors, like Rex the Road Dog said; somewhere on this post, that visibility is poor for cagers and who the hell wants to get hit by a cage. I have tried on some cheaper ones and felt like I was wearing a garbage bag. Yeah I probably spent too much money on something I probably use once a year maybe, but I when have to wear it I am glad I spent the extra bucks.