How do you clean your ride?

• April 25, 2012 1:49 AM PDT
    Some real good tips on this post. I never thought of using pledge, will have to try that. I always used a bucket and warm water, some soft dish soap, rinse, and then let her dry, then go back and use a sham and dry shine her followed by a wax sham to get her looking shiny, I have to say though, I think I may try the pledge or turtle wax spray, those wax shams arent cheap and I use one per cleaning, but hey, small price to pay to keep her lookin purrttty!
  • April 25, 2012 1:50 AM PDT
    Oh btw, as far as the daisy dukes or mini skirts go, I am not gonna do that, but I have gotta say (not to brag, ok maybe a little) I have a hot little ole lady and I am quite sure I can get her to do that!!!
  • April 25, 2012 2:05 AM PDT
    For your information, a great tip is to purchase an Endoscope, which I know is an expensive initial outlay, but can be bought between a group of (like minded friends) or Club, some "Pimp sticks" (Google for online suppliers) and I am never without a large (Dental Practice) size reel of Dental Floss, which is great for getting that stubborn dirt from all those little cracks and crevasses. Hope that was useful.
    Buc
  • April 25, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
    Bucephalus wrote...
    For your information, a great tip is to purchase an Endoscope, which I know is an expensive initial outlay, but can be bought between a group of (like minded friends) or Club, some "Pimp sticks" (Google for online suppliers) and I am never without a large (Dental Practice) size reel of Dental Floss, which is great for getting that stubborn dirt from all those little cracks and crevasses. Hope that was useful.
    Buc

Dental Floss! Awesome idea! never thought of that!!!
  • April 25, 2012 2:19 AM PDT
    Since I live in an area with water restrictions that prohibit washing vehicles, I use a product called Oz-Wash, available from many shops in our area or online from moto-oz. It requires no water, and is great for upkeep. Of course no one is around to notice if you wash your bike at midnight.
    • 5420 posts
    April 25, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
    Well I used to have my son do it for me. There was a brief period of time where he was old enough to do a good job, and young enough to still want to do it - and I would take him for a ride and lunch somewhere fun.

Now I do my own and I typically dry clean it using Whipz Detailer. I find if I give it a quick wipe down once a week or so with the spray cleaner it never really gets dirty enough to need a bath. I only actually wash it a few times a year... normally after running through the rain or just back from a real long trip
  • April 25, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
    I let the bunnies wash it......
  • April 25, 2012 1:18 PM PDT
    Rain
    • 823 posts
    April 25, 2012 3:53 PM PDT
    Spit and a whistle................
    • 1 posts
    April 25, 2012 7:26 PM PDT
    if you 've got time to wash it then you have even more time to ride it...I lovecoming home in the rain...most of the bike gets a chamois...while its wet...under the awning infront of the shed. Sometimes I even get out brite shine...and let her rip on my chrome bits...but having a bad boy means i don't have that much...If bad boys didn't have that black front end..I never would have bought it...lol..my mates springers is chrome..its that highly polished I ride infront of him so i don't get redeye from the glare.
  • April 26, 2012 8:33 PM PDT
    RNP8000..Rob, "Touche" Buddy, now who says Coloradan's don't do irony!!
    Regards Buc
  • April 27, 2012 12:43 AM PDT
    I just sit back an watch. I will fetch coffe when asked
  • April 29, 2012 2:23 AM PDT
    Yes I clean and wash my ride. She serves me well and I do the same for her. Been a great relationship for 13 years now. This question comes up all the time on all the different forums and they all respond with the same answers. I have found that a few hours of good music, a couple of drinks and cleaning my ride is just plain relaxing. My system is not for everyone but it works for me. Have fun and ride safe all. Tracker
  • April 29, 2012 2:40 AM PDT
    Well I first make sure I'm wearing something that's comfortable, then I get all my cleaning supplies out and ready to use, then I poor me a BIG glass of happy juice, pull up a chair and watch my husband clean my bike.....yeah who's the biotch now hmmmm.......lol.
    • 314 posts
    April 30, 2012 12:43 AM PDT
    tell my husband i seen a flyer for detailed cleaning, then he does it because he is too cheap to pay someone. then while i am at work he cleans it lol
  • May 4, 2012 4:12 PM PDT
    So maybe this is a stupid question but Pledge? I of heard of it being used on bikes but rite on the tank and fairing and everything else? Does it hold up well and is it really greasy or no?
  • May 7, 2012 6:48 AM PDT
    I admit to being tardy of cleaning the bike once the bugs come out, riding in the morning or evening is a promise for more of the same, if I could keep them off my glasses I'd be satisfied.
    • 5420 posts
    May 7, 2012 7:05 AM PDT
    MgoBlue27 wrote...
    So maybe this is a stupid question but Pledge? I of heard of it being used on bikes but rite on the tank and fairing and everything else? Does it hold up well and is it really greasy or no?

Pledge is very similar to the quick detail spray you can buy at motorcycle shops and auto parts stores - but much cheaper.  If you spray just a fine mist and buff it, it doesn't leave any oily residue.

The only thing I have found is if your bike is dirty or dusty the pledge will get kind of gummy as you buff. It is good for shining, but not the best for cleaning.  Thats were the auto cleaner / polisher works a little better.

• 79 posts
    May 7, 2012 11:56 AM PDT
    i start with putting kerosene in my paint gun.use that for drive train and wheels.rinse well.wash with dawn and water.dry first with air then rags.spray whole bike with pledge,then spend and hour wiping that off
  • May 8, 2012 1:31 AM PDT
    I use Shout on my wheels and engine and Ice Wax on the tanks,fenders and chrome works great. If you have a nasty plastic face shield try the Ice on that works good too.