How do you clean your ride?

• February 10, 2012 6:43 AM PST
    geeze y'all are making me feel like a really bad bike owner. Here in Fl during the Summer months it rains almost everyday, so it really isn't worth some of the knock yourself out energies. This year was different no summer rain showers daily but it did right before I headed to Sturgis which was 1 week since I clean and polished the thing. I got to Sturgis, road the back dirt roads in Sturgis itself and a few other locations. Did not go directly home from Sturgis, visited friends from Ohio, PA then went down to NC. The bike was on the road for a total of 4 weeks with out anything being done to it. I was home a total of 3 days and went to the not so local watering hole needing some water, and well some butt wipe wrote HELP ME on my bike. WTF, That's just stinking rude! It was planned for the next 5 nights to be stripped apart to get the works from washing, waxing, and the look overs. However just writing on the fender wasn't enough it had to be the topic by some yahoo's whom haven't done long distance riding and don't realize how much it does take out of ya to do said such rides. I like my bike clean and shiny too trust me, but sometimes well dust, rain, bugs, and goodness knows what else happens, Its a bike it gets used, it gets dirty and clean, down another's ride is just plain rude regardless if its new, old, clean, dirty, sport, race, dirt, cruiser, or show bike. have a great one! "T"
  • February 10, 2012 6:47 AM PST
    Yeah my soon to be 15 year old could care less anymore, she used to beg me to pick her up from school on the bike but now I'm of course a source of embarrassment for her! LOL
  • February 10, 2012 6:51 AM PST
    T if I'm on the road sometimes it's unavoidable you just don't get the opportunity to wash it everyday but on the rare occasion that I can get it washed when I'm holed up some place for a few days I rest up and then get at it in the AM and make sure it's clean. Gives me something to do.
  • February 10, 2012 6:54 AM PST
    Don't worry... they'll come around again! I've got 26, 28 and 30 year old daughters and they all intro me to their friends as "My cool Dad!" LOL
    • 5420 posts
    February 10, 2012 6:56 AM PST
    T, know exactly what you mean. When I lived in FL I never cleaned my bike or car during raining season - when I did it just made it rain anyway.. But now that I'm in So Cal it only rains 5 or 6 times a year so it doesn't take much more than a quick dusting and maybe a few squirts of cleaner to get the smudges of. The only time I ever wash it is after a long road trip or a rally in the dirt. But I never wash it before heading out on a road trip - it only looks clean at the first gas stop!
  • February 10, 2012 7:18 AM PST
    Black9, i read about using Pledge, but found the Dollar store lemon furniture polish just as effective at a buck a can. Same wax inside I read the label.
  • February 10, 2012 7:21 AM PST
    nemesis1 wrote...
    Black9, i read about using Pledge, but found the Dollar store lemon furniture polish just as effective at a buck a can. Same wax inside I read the label.

nemesis1: Dang man, spot on, next time I'm running low I know where I can get a replacement can now! Thanks for the heads up!

• 0 posts
    February 10, 2012 8:32 AM PST
    MATE I USED MAGUIRES SOFT CAR WASH AND HOT SOAPY WATER..THEN I USE MOTHERS SHOW SHINE AND BUFF THEM UP WITH A SOFT CLOTH..ITS A 4 BEER PER BIKE PERHAPS KINDA MISSION..CHEERS BOOF
    • 0 posts
    February 10, 2012 9:29 AM PST
    Ka-boom works good for cleaning the motor and wheels and hard to reach spots.
  • February 10, 2012 11:17 AM PST
    I wax really well before hand hoping it would be as hard to clean up the next time. have a grea tone "T"
    • 2 posts
    February 10, 2012 11:27 AM PST
    Wally-World car wash & hot water in the garden sprayer, johnny & detailing brushes from the dollar store, stove polish for the muffler
  • February 10, 2012 12:12 PM PST
    Ask my girlfriend, small price for getting to go along. Of course if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
  • February 10, 2012 1:18 PM PST
    I use some warm water in a bucket and wash her down. I use a high quality wax every 6 months on the metal parts, then use the spray on and wipe off bike polish. It makes everything, even the black engine and parts, shine real nice.
    • 2072 posts
    February 10, 2012 2:07 PM PST
    Of course, its highly likely I would be wearing a mini skirt and heels when I do that.

Fefe....... You can wash my bike ANYTIME you want !!!!!!
  • February 11, 2012 1:04 AM PST
    TELL my girlfriend.Small price to pay for getting to spend time with me.
  • February 11, 2012 2:02 AM PST
    I let the rain clean it! 
    • 823 posts
    February 13, 2012 5:09 PM PST
    you're supposed to clean them????
  • February 14, 2012 12:37 AM PST
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    Of course, its highly likely I would be wearing a mini skirt and heels when I do that.

Fefe....... You can wash my bike ANYTIME you want !!!!!!

Oh gee...if I wash yours, will you wash mine? All three of them?

• February 14, 2012 1:36 AM PST
    can you wash both of mine while you're at it!?!? I aint gonna play dress up but I could use a break! LOL
  • February 14, 2012 2:48 AM PST
    Nah, if I wash YOUR bikes, it would probably jinx the weather for ME.
    • 1855 posts
    February 14, 2012 2:52 AM PST
    Riding in the rain.

Peace
  • February 14, 2012 2:55 AM PST
    Been there, done that, my tee shirt is still soaked! When I lived in Western Washington that was a way of life!
  • April 15, 2012 12:14 PM PDT
    remove seat, saddlebags, and windshield a little dawn and warm water with a garden hose towel dry and wax with turtle wax spray and chrome polish all this just to ride it down 5+ miles of dusty dirt road to the highway where i stop at the local car wash and rinse(no using the trigger on the wand) it off and dry it again.pledge furniture wax never heard of this i might need to try this
  • April 25, 2012 12:32 AM PDT
    rain
  • April 25, 2012 1:40 AM PDT
    Fefe wrote...
    I like to use Bike Brite, and when I can't find that, I use Hog Snot. Spray it on, hose it off. If it is REALLY messy, such as it is after getting caught in the rain or riding on salted roads, I might use a soft cloth and wet-wipe it and rinse it again. Then I micro-fiber towel dry the main areas, followed by a blow job...I use my leaf blower.

I do use a power washer to rinse, but I am careful with it. I know that there is some icky yucky grease that is a GOOD thing! But it is GREAT at getting bug guts off the fairing, mirrors, and engine guard. I also use a bug remover--I think the one I have now is made by turtle wax.

I also use Pledge for the finishing shine and polish. It does help keep it cleaner longer, and gives my garage a fresh lemony scent!

Thankfully, I don't need to wash mine today. The other day I decided to take the car to work instead of ride because snow was in the forecast, so getting back home after work would NOT have been fun! As I was driving to the office, I passed the trucks pretreated the roads with salt brine...and when I saw that I was actually happy to be in my car for a change!

:)

Leaf blower???? Isnt that what the ole lady is for???