Do You Have a Riding Name & How Did You Get It?

• 611 posts
    September 26, 2011 8:51 AM PDT
    Since this is my post, I'll start.

I have been called many names. After all, I've been divorced 3 times.... (I'm starting to think it ain't the women!)
    The one that has stuck the longest is Edgewalker. It seemed that one of the local M/C chapter had a 'word' out on me. I was told to stay out of a certain bar and away from a certain dancer. So I immediately showed up there the next night. Well, when three of them rolled in the back door, I just got up and walked out. Hit the door at a long stride and had the bike running before they cleared the front door (their bikes were out back).

Next day, I hung around and watched the clubhouse and when the Prez left , I followed him. Waited until he went into the bar and I took a big chance. Bought him a double Capt and coke for him (I knew that's what he drank) and one for me. He sat down in the back and I walked to within 5 or 6 ft and yelled over the music "My name is Jake Walker. You got a 'word' on the street on me. It's makin me damned edgy. I really like that bar and the dancer I'm interested in ain't seeing anybody from yer club. So ya ugly sumbitch, I'll fight ya if I have to but I'd rather have a drink with ya. Seein how I got two drinks here, I'll give you one and maybe we could see if we can see eye to eye."

He stared at me, scowl on his face. "I don't like you." (Not good) "I'm gonna kick yer ass (worse yet) and if ya survive... I might talk to ya." I set the drinks down and the fight was on. I had the reach, youth & lots of experience. He, on the  other hand, outweighed me by 75-80 lbs and was as mean as a wharf rat. He knocked me down several times and opened up a cut over my right eye, so the blood was aflowin! This took place inside the bar and lasted... oh mebbe  a minute and a half. Music was still blarin, the few folks that were in there had come back to watch... and this was HIS bar.

He had just knocked me down (again) and as I got up (again) I looked at him and grinned. "Ya had enough yet? I can keep fallin down like this all night!" Now, I had landed quite a few punches and I knew that his lower left ribcage was pretty sore. His right eye was swollen up so he was even uglier than normal and he looked at me like I had just hit him again. He yelled "You are right on the edge of pissin me off!" Then he turned his back on me...

He walked over to the two Capt and Cokes and drained em both. Then he turned back to me and said "Hey Edge, we're outta booze, ya worthless f*ker. Grab us a couple more." Now I would like to say that we became friends, but this ain't a Disney movie. However, the 'word' was lifted and I was 'allowed' to patronize the bar again. The Prez and I.... well let's just say that I was allowed to hang with the club.

I didn't stay in any place very long back then, so by the time they asked me to prospect, I knew it was time to move on. The name Edge stuck and since my last name is Walker....

Ride Enjoy Repeat!
    Edge

A short PS... Some would say "You got some BRASS!"
    Brass? Yeah, some... but mostly ornery and lucky. He coulda just shot me ya know? It was a local club, they weren't 'at war' with any other clubs (so the Prez traveled alone sometimes) and I really liked that lil red headed dancer! What a man will do for a little squitch'um, eh?

So share your name and your story.
    Thanks for reading!

• 5419 posts
    September 26, 2011 5:01 PM PDT
    Great story Edge!

Mine ain't quite as capturing as your story... I acquired the name Lucky when I was about 18 or 19 years old. Ran with a bunch of guys back then, mostly high school buddies and a few of their older brothers and we made some pretty stupid decisions that usually ended up with us gettin ourselves in trouble or hurt. But for some reason I was always the Lucky one and came out of it better than others.

Little by little my friends started calling me Lucky, so I tattooed it on my arm. As time went on the group went their different ways and the name Lucky kind of died out too. It wasn't until a few years later when I started riding again that people noticed the tat and started calling me Lucky again.
    • 9 posts
    September 26, 2011 8:58 PM PDT
    That's a great story Edge! Thanks for sharing!

I don't really have a ride name, but there are some, who only know me as Ditch Rider.            

I was on a poker run, where we rode to each stop as a group. Heading toward the last stop, I was riding near the front cause I like to ride with the faster, more experienced riders. The guy in front of me was riding on the very edge of shoulder of the road and I was following his track. For a moment, I wasn't paying attention, ran off the road on a left hand curve, through a ditch and a field, and then back onto the road into the same position that I left in. 

When I pulled into the last stop and parked, a few guys approached me and said, "Get off the bike! Get off the bike now!" I shook my head no at them. I was embarrassed to death, I ran off the road in front of a bunch of bikers and was afraid they were going to yell at me about being a female who can't ride.  I pulled off my gloves and then my full face helmet, and was confessed when everyone wanted to shake my hand. "You're a helluva rider!" They were impressed that I maintained control of my bike the whole time.   
    • 16795 posts
    September 27, 2011 2:55 AM PDT
    When I was a kid the song "Big Bad John" came out, my dad started calling me that.
    During grade school I was way taller then my class mates and friends so to distinguish me from other kids name John, "Big John" was used, it stuck all the way through school, the Marines, and life in general.
    After I became an ordained minister folks started referring to me as "Rev. Big John" when the subject of a wedding, funeral, so forth comes up, but still call me "Big John" any other time.
    • 395 posts
    September 27, 2011 3:21 AM PDT
    great story edge...yes some big brass!!!!!...red heads will get you in trouble every time.......i don't have a cool bike name...just lola, which is a short form of delores, a title given to the virgin Mary "Virgen Maria de los Delores" which translates to our lady of sorrows..(The name will be displayed proudly on any bike i ever own)
    • 1161 posts
    September 27, 2011 5:42 PM PDT
    Ya very cool story Edge. as for a "biker" name none as of yet but I have had a few nick names in my past but most I can't say here but Seakers is one of the few I can say on here so I used it. I found out I have Native Indian blood in me like 1/16th but I told a friend of mine when I lived in Alabama and found out him and his Grandfather was as well. His Grandfather gave me the name of Seeking Owl, so when I played online games I was known as my Chars name as Seakers so it seamed fitting to use that name here. But as a Ham Radio user my Call sign is KJ4GOO and am also known for the GOO part so some friends call me that from time to time.
    • 844 posts
    September 28, 2011 8:15 AM PDT
    Well when you start out in the oil fields as a youngster like I did, you are automatically a GOFUR. Some of the boys I worked with are the ones I rode with so the name followed from the oil fields to the bike!
    • 1855 posts
    September 28, 2011 9:55 AM PDT
    Well, the handle is "Doc". Nope, not a real doctor but an army medic in Nam. Didn't go by "Doc" after Nam until I patched. Now a "retired Nomad" whose probably done more riding in the past 2 years than I did in two decades with the club. Did more bar-hoppin' back then; ya'll might know how that goes. I figure M/C life gave me wisdom and retirement gave me the freedom to use it on the road. Certainly life has changed a lot since those days and definitely not as hairy for sure. Miss the brothers but not so much the lifestyle anymore.
  • September 28, 2011 10:03 AM PDT
    Back in the early to mid 70's I had a 66 Electra Glide with drag pipes. Most of my buddies were riding Triumph's or Norton's back then. Here in Ohio at that time LEO would shove a flare up your pipes if they thought you were too loud, if it was stopped you were ok but if they could bury it you got a ticket. We would remove our baffles, drill a hole through the pipe and run a bolt through to pass their road side inspections. The old shovel was kind of on the loud side so my buddies always wanted to start their bikes first cause they couldn't hear them run if my shovel was running. Keep in mind not many had electric starts then and if ya did you better kick her if anyone was watching. They started saying "let me start mine before you start that rolling thunder". Before long rolling thunder was shortened to RT and it stuck. The first Rolling Thunder ride into DC was 10-15 years later.
    • 611 posts
    September 28, 2011 2:39 PM PDT
    Oh MAN! Some great stories here! Thanks to all that shared. I will add this to the story I told... Everything happened just like I said... It's just that over the last 35 years... well, the words ain't EXACTLY right cause I don't REMEMBER exactly what I said... It wasn't a close fight. He coulda killed me quick. But, I think he saw a 'Prospective Member' and wanted to see what I was made of. So, he whupped me hard but I was too stupid to stay down.... and I DID say "I can keep falling down all night" and I did ask him "Ya had enuff?" I THINK he actually let a little grin slip out... Might have been the blood in my eyes... Anyway,
    RideEnjoyRepeat!
    Edge
    • 1 posts
    September 29, 2011 5:07 AM PDT
    Mine is because I was (and still am) always there to bail out my buddies. Whether it be from jail, if they were broke down on the road and needed my help, or whatever.
  • October 1, 2011 10:45 AM PDT
    First time anyone ever asked me that.

Some people I went to high school with didn't like the fact that they were workin their asses off all day while I'm out riding my bike. No matter what I would say or do they say get a job, your a worhtless bum. Then when they'd see me somewhere they'd tell their girl or who ever they were with, Look at that bum over there. The name stuck.
  • October 1, 2011 1:08 PM PDT
    Mine isn't as exciting as some of yours. My riding friends have always called me Cat short for Cathi, so when I converted my bike to a trike, I put paw prints on the fenders & on the back of my tour-pack it says: Cats Litter Box & I have a cat tail hanging out of it. when we go to rallies I pull a trailer with my trike & on the spare-tire cover I had a cat air-brushed on it, its mean-looking with its claws out & says Bad Kitty. a friend found me cat tail-lights & there uni-versal but we haven't been able to get them on yet. but to live up to my name I had to get a cat-tatt. ok I'll quit rambling now, Thats my story & I'm sticking to it.............LOL
  • October 1, 2011 5:10 PM PDT
    Edge Walker, that's is a FANTASTIC story brother, and thank you for sharing, needed a good laugh and distraction after last week! And like they say "Red on the head, fire in the hole!' heheh

Yeah I too have a road name, and unfortunately you earn road names because naming yourself is just stupid. Most times you never get the name you want and I am one of them sorry types!

I used to have this 87 FXLR and I never had enough room on it to carry my stuff on the road so I parted out this old shovel bagger and cannibalized the tour pak from it and fit it on my FXLR. Well I was able to dump ice in it and keep the food and beers cold on the road... well for the most part, hell even took a few whore baths out of the damn thing. So I'm on a ride with some guys I barely knew and we were on our way to New Mexico from Seattle Washington and I kept all my food in that tour park. Also the tour pak was NOT color matched at all to the bike's paint scheme, the bike was a two tone burnt orange and copper... anyway, every time we stopped I would get out some jerky or a cold beverage and on a late stop before we stopped to camp for the night and one of the guys that was with us, they called him "Asshole Mike" said "Hey, what else you got in that lunchbox?" And from that day forward I have NEVER been able to shake that title! I've carried this title for over 15 years now! Lunchbox... and now my wife has a road name, Thermos, and she used to scowl at that name but her friends got her a hoodie jacket with a big "Thermos" on the back and she wears it proudly! LOL

Yeah you may not like your road name but you know you damn well earned it when everyone uses it! LOL
    • 611 posts
    October 2, 2011 6:38 AM PDT
    I had no idea how good it would be when I posted this thread. Thanx to all of y'all for the posts about your riding names. 'Lunch Box', glad I could help after a rough week. The 'Cat Litter Box'? Priceless! 'Bum' is what I call my brother 'cause he's always working or laid off... Don't matter to me, I just call him Bum. 'Bailout' is a cool name because of what it signifies, a true friend!
    Thanx again to all who have posted,
    RideEnjoyRepeat!
    Edge
    • 638 posts
    October 2, 2011 10:12 AM PDT
    My initials are KB and I love music so I got the name King Biscuit when I was a kid. I don't know if any of you guys remember the King Biscuit Flower Hour on the radio. But the name has stuck for 30 years now so I don't think I have any chance for a new one.
    • 16795 posts
    October 2, 2011 2:57 PM PDT
    kingbiscuit wrote...
    I don't know if any of you guys remember the King Biscuit Flower Hour on the radio.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.
    Our gone but not forgotton local progressive rock station used to carry that program.
    We also listened to Canadian radio, our only rock station at that time didn't play Psychedelic or Prog.

• October 2, 2011 6:21 PM PDT
    they call me "METAL". sung in a heavy metal band since the mid 80's. i stay true to my brothers and my music. quite a few interesting and off the wall bikers out here. its one of the things i love. screw normal.
  • October 3, 2011 3:10 AM PDT
    FINALLY I find some metal heads in this crowd! _\\m/
    And yes The King Biscuit Flower Hour had some of the best live bands of the time for me, Dio, Ozzy (with Randy Rhoads which spawned Ozzy's live Tribute album)! Oh yeah! I too was in bands as a kid and I still play my guitar probably more than I should but completes my loop of interest!:-)
  • October 8, 2011 11:26 PM PDT
    Great stories! Mine is just cause I had two of the biggest dogs you ever saw...Irish Wolfhounds of course.Loved my dogs,RIP Rossie and Seamus Mc Guinness, you will never be forgotten
    • 611 posts
    November 10, 2011 3:24 PM PST
    OK, just had to resurrect this one. It's been around a month since the last rider checked in with his 'Riding Name' and I just KNOW there are some great stories out there.
    So belly up to the keyboard and share your riding name and how ya got it...
    Thanx to all the folks that shared theirs.
    Ride Enjoy Repeat as Necessary!
    Edge
    • 580 posts
    November 10, 2011 8:06 PM PST

To all my biker buddies I'm probably best known as  ----  The Mad Woman Who Rides With A Sheep!!! 

However, that's obviously too long and some of em are too polite to say that to my face   so I'm Chocmintz , mainly because I LOVE chocolate mint cremes  - though not as much as I love my Sheep Shaun and Ethel of course

• November 11, 2011 3:34 AM PST
    Don't have a biker name..... sniff. Always just been Dawn...... I am sure I have a name or two that I am not aware of......
    • 2 posts
    November 14, 2011 10:29 AM PST
    chocmintz wrote...

To all my biker buddies I'm probably best known as  ----  The Mad Woman Who Rides With A Sheep!!! 

Just for you

• 19007 posts
    November 14, 2011 10:58 PM PST
    One of those guys looked like G