Rallying, What do you pack?

• 58 posts
    February 12, 2011 6:04 AM PST
    This is for all you whiners out there suffering in the last throes of PMS:  What do you pack on your bike for a 3-5 day solo rally trip?   And if your other half is riding, 2-up, with you?  Or your other half is bringing the biker support vehicle?  Camping is primitive or near primitive.
    • 5420 posts
    February 12, 2011 7:05 AM PST
    Well we travel 2-up, and have to carry lots of CycleFish stuff - banners to hang around camp, and beer sticks, hats & shirts to give away, and of course the famous CF temporary tattoos).  For clothes, usually not too much, change of underwear and socks for each day, couple of shirts, and an extra pair of jeans. 

Now for the camping stuff, I do like to be comfortable... a 12x12 tent we can stand in, air mattress, and 2 chairs.  One thing we learned to save room and even be more comforatble is to forget the sleeping bags and just bring sheets and blanket to make the air mattress up like a bed.  The sheets and blanket roll up much smaller, and much more comfortable than sleeping bags.  We usually save opur old sheets just for this so we can leave them.  So between leaving the sheets, and giving away all the CF goodies, we go home much lighter.
    • 1516 posts
    February 12, 2011 12:04 PM PST
    What Lucky forgot to mention is that we bring the camp stove and coffee maker in the bike trailer! Having a trailer is the shit... we can bring much more stuff to make the stay more comfortable. Thanks to Harleyman, who is really good at the packing thing, we can fit ALOT of stuff. P.S... it is fun to add stuff at the last minute just to see if he can make if fit.. shh don't tell him I said that...
  • February 12, 2011 1:38 PM PST
    Deb you kill me! I think Malissa does the same thing!We go bare bones on the clothes(buy shirts along the way) tent,sleeping bags,air matress....that is a must!,pillows,colapsable cooler,and some times chairs or not depending on whats planned.Usually works out good...we have done the sheets and blanket instead of sleeping bags thing before too!Don't forget shorts/trunks,flip flops,sun screen and a towel:-)
    • 1364 posts
    February 13, 2011 12:02 AM PST
    highrisk wrote...
    Booze !!!!!! 10X10 tent, 2 chairs, queen size air mattress, 2 sleeping bags, pillows, 9X9 awning, 2 collapsible coolers, sandals,couple pairs of jeans, shorts and a few shirts, beads, CF hat, misc. personal stuff, tooth brush, deodorant, ect.

• February 13, 2011 12:24 AM PST
    in most cases we book hotels along the way, I know I am a bit of a pussy when it comes down to it, this year we are riding from WI to WV, thats a long way to sit in a saddle, when i get there I want a shower a bed and cocktails.

I do pack 1 pair of jeanes, a few shirts, socks and underwear for each day, comfy shoes, personal crap and buy everything else along the way.

I have 2 years left until its paid off, my next one will be a bagger this I promise you. I have bags and a tbar bag but she rides like a lowered soft tail.
  • February 13, 2011 1:46 AM PST
    I am DONE with rallies. I just don't have it in me anymore. Too many posers and I've seen my fill of naked tweakers. Sorry to be a bummer...
  • February 13, 2011 1:55 AM PST
    Lucky thats a helluva lot neater than my packing jobs !!  Nice work!.

• 1364 posts
    February 13, 2011 2:16 AM PST
    Bulldogjim wrote...
    I am DONE with rallies. I just don't have it in me anymore. Too many posers and I've seen my fill of naked tweakers. Sorry to be a bummer...

Sounds like someone needs some coffee

• 2 posts
    February 14, 2011 12:09 AM PST
    Anygody have any suggestions for a stove?
    * The "Primus" type, white gas, stoves are expensive
    * The Coleman type, compressed gas stoves are bulky
  • February 14, 2011 12:18 AM PST
    Colman has some small light weight propane backpack stoves, They work well and don't take up much room.
    www.outdoorreview.com/cat/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/stoves/coleman/PRD_81168_2959crx.aspx />
    • 5420 posts
    February 14, 2011 12:43 AM PST
    That's pretty much the same thing I use...just buy propane somewhere near camp.
  • February 14, 2011 2:46 AM PST
    When sleeping on the ground got too hard on the body we did the motel thing for a while. Then we had a few times where we could not find a room and were forced to ride a lot longer than we wanted. So now we pull a pop up camper, and have have room to carry all the comforts we need.

• 277 posts
    February 14, 2011 4:38 AM PST
    Vodka, toothbrush, toothpaste, clean underwear and a hairbrush.
    • 58 posts
    February 14, 2011 6:10 AM PST
    HDBeech wrote...

What? No mascara, nail polish, kitchen sink, etc?   Lucky really is lucky!  

• 277 posts
    February 14, 2011 7:55 AM PST
    RufCut wrote...
    HDBeech wrote...

Don't need that other stuff!  I want fresh breath, but even so, I could wash my mouth with the Vodka... I like clean underwear but who needs the rest of the clothes?  Just ask BikerCrap!  And a hairbrush to put my hair back when we ride. 

• 467 posts
    February 14, 2011 8:11 AM PST
    Clay carries 2 camp chairs, tent, bad weather gear and one dog. Love my T-Bag! I can fit a queen size air mattress, fitted sheet, blanket, airpump (connects to bike battery), clothes, toiletries, towels, flip flops, pop-up kennel, collapsible cooler, first-aid kit and still have room for the other dog on the tank.
    • 1516 posts
    February 14, 2011 8:36 AM PST
    HDBeech wrote...
    RufCut wrote...
    HDBeech wrote...

Don't need that other stuff!  I want fresh breath, but even so, I could wash my mouth with the Vodka... I like clean underwear but who needs the rest of the clothes?  Just ask BikerCrap!  And a hairbrush to put my hair back when we ride. 

I just let you guys bring the shirts! and bikercrap shirts are little enough to stuff in a pocket!

• 19046 posts
    February 14, 2011 9:02 AM PST
    Since I have recently adopted the 'vagabond' life style this is how I pack now. Only addition is the bike will be attached.

• 844 posts
    February 14, 2011 9:03 AM PST
    I just pack my good looks with the hope I can find a young sweetheart to let me in her tent. Probably why I always wind up sleeping on the ground under the stars !
    • 0 posts
    February 14, 2011 11:06 AM PST
    Tent, air mattress, camp chair, sheet and 2 blankets, flashlight, underwear and socks, 1pair jeans and 2 old t-shirts to throw away when I purchase others along the way, toiletry's including a battery powered razor (double's as a vibrator for the wife.) and normal bike stuff. Anything else I need, I buy.
  • February 15, 2011 1:08 AM PST
    We added a CF beerstick last year to our musthaves and it works great when your wandering around the camp meeting new people. We also use the small packing bags that you suck all the air out of them when your done filling them. They work great on items that you want to have but rarely use, a great space saver and any self service car wash along the way has vacuums if you do have to get in the bags.
    • 19046 posts
    February 15, 2011 1:18 AM PST
    GoFur wrote...
    I just pack my good looks with the hope I can find a young sweetheart to let me in her tent. Probably why I always wind up sleeping on the ground under the stars !

I had that problem too when I was a lad...Ha

• 2 posts
    February 15, 2011 1:22 AM PST
    GoFur wrote...

Have the same issues & I prefer the mature, cranky ones, so as not to get homesick.

Don't rally but do camp -
    Some items that enhance safety & comfort:
    1. A few shanks of parachute chord to - guy the tent in wind - put a tarp over it in heavy rain - lash down gear that refuses to go back into the places you took it out of - Lean all the Tenderfoot knots + the Teamsters Hitch
    2. Gurka Knife - Does the tasks of entrenching tool, axe, & hammer + makes you feel just a little better when sleeping in bear country
    3. Weather Radio - Helps when planning the trip & gives advance warning of the times you really should find shelter - Not much bigger than pack of cigarettes - Get one
    4. AM Radio - ditto
    5. Tarp or Poncho Liner - Really nice to sit on a dry seat 1st thing in A.M.

p.s.: Thanks for advice on stove -
    • 202 posts
    February 15, 2011 3:16 AM PST
    camping! yeah! my son is a boyscout, so he packs me up real good!

Tent, sleeping bag, survival knife, (coat serves as a pillow), toiletries, one extra pair of clothes, personal items, matches (campfire for cooking) boyscout cooking gear (tin cup, plate and set of silverware - small frying pan and small pot) rope, (to hang my gear in bear country)... hmmm, can't think of what else off hand!

I like to keep it simple, but still my bike is loaded to the gills!