Rallying, What do you pack?

• 202 posts
    February 15, 2011 3:18 AM PST
    GaryTJ wrote...
    Tent, air mattress, camp chair, sheet and 2 blankets, flashlight, underwear and socks, 1pair jeans and 2 old t-shirts to throw away when I purchase others along the way, toiletry's including a battery powered razor (double's as a vibrator for the wife.) and normal bike stuff. Anything else I need, I buy.

sweet, what a good man!

• February 15, 2011 3:25 AM PST
    A bottle of good tequilla, a change of clothes, and a credit card. (For the hotel room-of course)
    • 16837 posts
    February 15, 2011 3:33 AM PST
    When I'm traveling with only me on the bike: bare essentials
    When I'm traveling with my wife with me on the bike: it's unreal what is tied on to it
    • 580 posts
    February 15, 2011 6:14 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    GoFur wrote...
    I just pack my good looks with the hope I can find a young sweetheart to let me in her tent. Probably why I always wind up sleeping on the ground under the stars !

I had that problem too when I was a lad...Ha

Obviously in order to keep the weight down no-one packs their beer goggles on bike rallies  lol

• February 17, 2011 2:13 PM PST
    Between the seat on the old Kaw and the sidecar trunk - there's a lot of room for stuff; tent, queen air mattress, pillows, etc. etc. When I'm heading out solo, a tent, air mattress and a change of clothes or so is plenty. I don't take food - usually hit the C-store for bread, Pb&J and meat - eat a crap-ton of sammiches.
    • 19046 posts
    February 18, 2011 1:09 AM PST
    chocmintz wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    GoFur wrote...
    I just pack my good looks with the hope I can find a young sweetheart to let me in her tent. Probably why I always wind up sleeping on the ground under the stars !

I had that problem too when I was a lad...Ha

Obviously in order to keep the weight down no-one packs their beer goggles on bike rallies  lol

Pat, they come packed inside the cans and bottles....

• February 18, 2011 2:12 AM PST
    Last long trip had to include for all occasions
    cell phone, digital camera, packers tripod for camera (12"-56" 3"Dia), laptop computer, sport coat, tie etc for wedding, ridding gear-jeans and tees. packed for 26 days but had the motel bed and breakfast every day. Learned how to pack and protect everything like the navy; roll and wrap. if nescessary bag seal.!!
  • February 23, 2011 2:23 PM PST
    I can say after 14 Sturgis Rally trips, I'm pretty rallied out myself. Sturgis will always be my favorite place to rally when I decide to do it again, but for now, the whole rally thing can suck it! Besides I just moved to Monterey and there are tons of great looking roads to explore! So I think this year the west coast will be my rally!

If I DO rally I pack light! Unless the ol' lady is with me, then I make room for the proverbial Kitchen Sink (hair dryer, hair straightner, make up, g-string (ok that's fine) you name it she tried to stuff it in the bags!) Anyway, I go with tent, sleeping bag, 2 pair of jeans a few shirts, ax, hammer, tools, bottle of JD and a few flashlights and a LOT of zip ties for those oh shit moments that will and do occur!
    • 5420 posts
    March 1, 2011 8:22 AM PST
    StreetBobGirl wrote...
    A bottle of good tequilla, a change of clothes, and a credit card. (For the hotel room-of course)

Bring more tequilla...then you won't need the clothes

• March 31, 2011 12:18 AM PDT
    For ten years as an alcoholic, I'd pack a gallon of whiskey & 8 cans of pop in my decent sized ice chest strapped to my luggage rack.
    10 months sober now. I'll take my coleman stove, fuel, and bookoo coffee & sugar!!
    Always take a 1/2-man tent, sleep-bag, chair, canned food, meds, baking soda for heart burn, brush, camera, flashlight, pen & paper, cell charger (got a cig lighter on board), tobacco.
  • March 31, 2011 5:19 AM PDT
       What is a 1/2 (half) man tent. Like a hat with a bug screen or a rain cover for your levis..?? 

• March 31, 2011 5:31 AM PDT
    Cash/cc, my M1911 45 ACP, cell phone, and an extra tee-shirt!......ok, and a bottle of motrin.
    • 130 posts
    March 31, 2011 5:43 AM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    Anygody have any suggestions for a stove?
    * The "Primus" type, white gas, stoves are expensive
    * The Coleman type, compressed gas stoves are bulky

Coleman let us down too many times, their quality seems to have slipped
    MSR Dragonfly stove will burn just about anything.

• March 31, 2011 7:50 AM PDT
    "1/2 man tent" is the smallest tent walmart had for adults. It's about 6 x 4.. I sleep with my head inside & legs sticking out the door. This will be the 10th year with this tent, trying to 'limp' it thru another rally season...Zipper broke 2 years ago... Hell, I retired my patch filled rally vest last year but still using same tent...
    • 5420 posts
    March 31, 2011 8:44 AM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    Anygody have any suggestions for a stove?
    * The "Primus" type, white gas, stoves are expensive
    * The Coleman type, compressed gas stoves are bulky

I have always carried this guy with me.  Usually stop for a bottle of propane at the last stop on the way into the rally and just screw it on top!

• 1516 posts
    March 31, 2011 10:03 AM PDT
    Those little burners are great! Usually don't have any more than the top going and coming!!

• 9 posts
    April 1, 2011 12:40 PM PDT
    First, I gotta give debrajoe a wink and a smile for the last minute thing, too funny! But if your like me, and your not riding a bagger, you've got to be creative and flexible. (Save the jokes for later, guys). Seriously, take any big items off the list, and get those when you arrive. Pack travel size personals, 3 shirts, 2 jeans, 5X5 on socks & undies, wear your riding boots/shoes but take a spare, and listen to Lucky about the bedroll. Matter of fact, roll everything you pack that ain't hard. You can fit more in the duffle/backpack that way. Extra bungies and a tool kit are a must. I buy my food/cooking gear when I arrive, and donate it when I leave. Someone will always appreciate it. And don't forget some kind of rain gear. Trust me. Other than that, just think of this as an adventure, cause one way or the other, friend, IT WILL BE!!! Have a blast...Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 9 posts
    April 1, 2011 12:44 PM PDT
    GoFur wrote...

I just pack my good looks with the hope I can find a young sweetheart to let me in her tent. Probably why I always wind up sleeping on the ground under the stars 

Say. GoFur, don't mince words, tell us how you really work it!

• 58 posts
    April 1, 2011 3:17 PM PDT
    Keep the ideas coming guys. As much as anything, this is showing my new riding partner (my wife) that, yes, you can camp comfortably from a bike.  She will get to experience her first bike trip later this spring.  Baby Steps!!
    • 16837 posts
    April 2, 2011 8:53 AM PDT
    I got the Kobalt Multidrive Wrench from Lowe's for Christmas.
    I wish they had these out years ago, no tool pouch should be without one.
  • April 11, 2011 7:01 AM PDT
    MatSubZero wrote...
    "1/2 man tent" is the smallest tent walmart had for adults. It's about 6 x 4.. I sleep with my head inside & legs sticking out the door. This will be the 10th year with this tent, trying to 'limp' it thru another rally season...Zipper broke 2 years ago... Hell, I retired my patch filled rally vest last year but still using same tent...

LOL Yeah I had this tent also, it only lasted one trip to New Mexico from Seattle! Great idea if you're not closterphobic!