Ride Bells...

• 844 posts
    March 12, 2012 10:06 AM PDT
    Bitchy, maybe someone saw you and took the bell thinking it would bring them the same "good luck" 
    • 9 posts
    March 12, 2012 10:25 AM PDT
    Geez Jetman...hold up. All these years, and no one gave you a bell. Well...I haven't been blessed with one myself.
    I figure, they're tryin' to find the one I really want, or since I don't have a bike ATM, maybe they're savin' it for when I have my next ride. Whatever the case, I'll be happy to see that bell, when the time comes, eh?
    And in YOUR case, I myself have been on the lookout for a St. Francis of Assisi Bell for you. Since you have that awesome love of animals, I figure they'd want you to have the guardian of all animals, on YOUR side.
    Maybe the place that has my St. Christopher's bell, has one. I'll have to check.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 823 posts
    March 12, 2012 2:05 PM PDT
    Mine says "Screw it! Let's Ride" My daughter wouldn't let me ride the 160 miles home on my new bike without one so she bought it before we left the dealership.
  • March 12, 2012 11:22 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Choc, there are several accounts of the origin of the Ride Bell, here is one of the most popular...

LEGEND OF THE RIDE BELL

Many years ago, on a cold December night, an old greybeard biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked.

As he rode along that night, he thought about how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and about his trusty old bike that hadn't let him down once in the many years they had shared the road together.

About 50 miles north of the border, in the high desert, lurked a small group of notorious little critters known as Road Gremlins. You know, the ones who always leave little obstacles like one shoe, boards and pieces of old tires on the road and also dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and crash, thus giving the Road Gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

As the old greybeard rounded a curve that moonlit night, the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid before coming to a stop next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the Road Gremlins made their way towards him. The greybeard, not being one to give up, started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell, he started ringing it in the hopes of scaring off the dirty little gremlins.

About a half mile away, camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the campfire talking about their day's ride and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air, they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being a part of the biker Brotherhood, they proceeded to ward off the gremlins until the last of them ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers, the old greybeard offerred to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the greybeard cut two pieces of leather from his saddlebag tassels and tied a bell to each one. He then placed them on each of the bikers' motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior then told the two travellers that with those bells placed on their bikes, they would be protected from the Road Gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So, whenever you see a biker with a bell, you know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life...friendship from a fellow biker.

Of all the different of the bell this one is still my fave of all...

• March 13, 2012 1:51 AM PDT
    Well Hey There Tweek...looks like I best come over there and meet you if you intend to get me a bell...lol...I am often in Florida so that wont be a problem, I do most of my flying there...lol...I didn't manage to earn enough last year to continue my extravagant lifestyle over there, but hopefully this year will be different...I am aiming to make it for Biketoberfest...
    • 9 posts
    March 13, 2012 2:21 AM PDT
    And I'm aiming to have a bike, sometime before the end of summer. So let's both do some talkin' to the man upstairs, eh? I'd really like to give you that bell, in person. And I love Biketoberfest. It's like Bike Week, only smaller. And judging by the crowds, I'm seein' online, I think I'd enjoy that a little more. I was plannin' on a day-trip to Bike Week, this week, but don't know if I'll actually get to go. Got a trip to the mountains comin' up on Saturday, and what with gas being so freakin' expensive, somethin' may have to give. We'll see. The week ain't over, yet!
    Besides...I'd rather ride into Daytona. Or anywhere...

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • March 13, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
    I know what you are saying, but even at $5 a gallon you are still less than HALF of what we pay a gallon here...I worked it out the other day to around $12.40 a gallon for 95 octane...lol...

Today I am being lazy - leg hurts a bit more than usual - so I decided to take a day off, I STILL need to purge the jet tanks and flush and clean them and get the trike ready for pre-season testing end of next week...

The season is going to start with a lot of noise for my neighbours as I shall go over the back from here to the railway yard and do my startups...lol...Cops will get called and I shall disappear before they show up...lol...it often happens when someone can hear a jet engine - see loads of smoke and flames - and 'presume' that a jet or helicopter has crashed, it takes them a while to work out where we was etc and by that time the trike is back in its garage...lol...

We just sit outside another of my garages and watch the cops racing up and down the roads chasing their *sses and finding nothing.....hahahahahahahaha.....Its all good fun baiting the cops over here...so totally different from over there...
  • March 13, 2012 5:31 AM PDT
    g wrote...
    i got mine from randy ,gave it to a good friend .thanks randy ,was a great gift .

Your welcome g n by the by? I saw your movie last nite, you know...Brave Heart? Dude you kick ass...lol...

Ice Bear...Forage Well...

• August 21, 2012 5:58 AM PDT
    We just added some cool new bells in the CycleFish Store

Get Your Bells Here

• 544 posts
    August 21, 2012 7:28 AM PDT
    No Bell Here.
    • 834 posts
    August 22, 2012 3:49 AM PDT
    Just ordered the Lady Rider bell for a lady who rides her bike here to work every day. I don't know her that well but I checked her bike and didn't see a bell. I am just going to leave it on her desk when I get it. Pretty sure she'll know where it came from.
    • 834 posts
    August 27, 2012 6:07 AM PDT
    Got it on Saturday and left it on her desk this morning. She came by and said she knew it must have been me and thanked me very much. I'll help her hand it on her bike after work.
    • 580 posts
    August 28, 2012 9:46 AM PDT
    You're a good un AZ - I bet she loves it. I still love mine. Always give it a ding when I get on Ethel and another ding when I get home. When I'm riding and it rings alongside me (I have mine on my mirror stem) it always reminds me I don't ride alone and of the very good friend who gave it to me. It's also helped calm me on days when my riding hasn't gone to plan - for example t'other week when some guy pulled out of a junction and I narrowly avoided him. The bell rang when I'd got past and I knew that angel was on my shoulder looking out for me. Gave it two dings when I got home lol (o:
    • 19007 posts
    August 28, 2012 11:40 PM PDT
    chocmintz wrote...
    You're a good un AZ - I bet she loves it. I still love mine. Always give it a ding when I get on Ethel and another ding when I get home. When I'm riding and it rings alongside me (I have mine on my mirror stem) it always reminds me I don't ride alone and of the very good friend who gave it to me. It's also helped calm me on days when my riding hasn't gone to plan - for example t'other week when some guy pulled out of a junction and I narrowly avoided him. The bell rang when I'd got past and I knew that angel was on my shoulder looking out for me. Gave it two dings when I got home lol (o:

Me too Pat, but mine is not a bell. It is my Ding-a-Ling...

• 9 posts
    August 29, 2012 1:32 AM PDT
    Whew...for a minute there, I almost thought that was gonna be a very different kind of picture...lol

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • August 29, 2012 2:49 AM PDT
    I had a ride bell on my first bike, and that thing needed all the luck it could get. It was a bell off of a friend's bike (like most of my gear, I'll take hand-me-down over new every time), and it was already sandblasted smooth. I sold that bike years ago, but I kept the bell, and I didn't put it on my other bikes. It never felt right, until I bought my newest HD. Gotta go with what feels right for the bike, and the rider.

-Z
    • 844 posts
    August 29, 2012 3:51 AM PDT
    Mine is completely smooth now too. Same bell been hanging on 3 different bikes for probably 200,000 miles.
    • 5419 posts
    October 2, 2012 9:48 AM PDT
    Yeah, mine is beat to hell and back. Can't read the inscription anymore cause it's worn smooth and it has a layer of oxidation on it, but its still doing its job!
    • 85 posts
    October 2, 2012 4:10 PM PDT
    Ive been told they wont ward off the gremlins if you buy it yourself, has to be the gift of a friend. Any truth in this? My stepson gave me mine.
    • 81 posts
    October 2, 2012 4:48 PM PDT
    That's what I have been told.
  • October 12, 2012 3:55 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Choc, there are several accounts of the origin of the Ride Bell, here is one of the most popular...

LEGEND OF THE RIDE BELL

Many years ago, on a cold December night, an old greybeard biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked.

As he rode along that night, he thought about how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and about his trusty old bike that hadn't let him down once in the many years they had shared the road together.

About 50 miles north of the border, in the high desert, lurked a small group of notorious little critters known as Road Gremlins. You know, the ones who always leave little obstacles like one shoe, boards and pieces of old tires on the road and also dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and crash, thus giving the Road Gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

As the old greybeard rounded a curve that moonlit night, the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid before coming to a stop next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the Road Gremlins made their way towards him. The greybeard, not being one to give up, started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell, he started ringing it in the hopes of scaring off the dirty little gremlins.

About a half mile away, camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the campfire talking about their day's ride and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air, they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being a part of the biker Brotherhood, they proceeded to ward off the gremlins until the last of them ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers, the old greybeard offerred to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the greybeard cut two pieces of leather from his saddlebag tassels and tied a bell to each one. He then placed them on each of the bikers' motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior then told the two travellers that with those bells placed on their bikes, they would be protected from the Road Gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So, whenever you see a biker with a bell, you know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life...friendship from a fellow biker.

Yep Lucky, Thats the one I like best...it's got some love to it.

• October 12, 2012 3:56 PM PDT
    Hicky wrote...
    Ive been told they wont ward off the gremlins if you buy it yourself, has to be the gift of a friend. Any truth in this? My stepson gave me mine.

Yep, that what I believe...

• 58 posts
    October 13, 2012 12:57 AM PDT
    I noticed when I washed my bike this weekend that my bell was gone.....
    • 834 posts
    October 15, 2012 7:35 AM PDT
    Bummer RufCut. Hopefully someone close to you will know and get you a new one.
  • November 4, 2012 10:05 AM PST
    Hicky wrote...

Ya that's how I understand it...