Bucket list

• 19034 posts
    March 20, 2009 1:09 PM PDT

Wad da ya say, How about a list of places to ride to before ya gotta stand on that proverbial bucket and kick it away?

I can start...

Remember I live on the east coast.

Going to the Sun Road, Montanna

Monument Valley AZ & UT

Lukenback TX

Yosemeti

• 5420 posts
    March 20, 2009 1:18 PM PDT

Great topic...

Number 1 is definitely the Alaskan Highway!

others, in no particular order...

New England

Smokey Mountains

Oregon Coast

Australia (gonna have to rent a bike for that one)

I have pretty much been everywhere else I want to ride.

• 910 posts
    March 20, 2009 3:24 PM PDT
    Hmm, well, I promised my son I'd ride cross country with him from Massachusetts to California when he turned 18, if he still wants to do it. I guess Florida can be considered my "training" run.
  • March 20, 2009 8:10 PM PDT
    start the ride in france , east to italy, then north through germany,to end in amsterdam. then rent another bike in ireland!
    • 19034 posts
    March 21, 2009 12:45 AM PDT
    Yo Lucky,
    When you get to New England you are gonna love it. If the sky is clear put Mt. Washington Auto road on your agenda, Kankamangis highway also. I'm sure Buffy will agree. Far to many other places to list but some great rides. Smokies, huh? The southern smokies are great, watch out for 'go fast' bikes on the 'Dragon.' On my ride this summer there is a place called 'smackass gap' along the southern border of NC, don't know what it is but I gotta see a place with this name.
    • 19034 posts
    March 21, 2009 12:51 AM PDT
    Adventure Girl,
    That will be a great ride. Don't let it slip away.That FL trip is a good run to practice on. Being somewhat of an Interstate phobic I recommend you route yourself around I95 from New York through Richmond. Many crazies there. I can give you some route suggestions through NJ PA DE MD to help.
    • 910 posts
    March 21, 2009 1:38 AM PDT
    Lucky Mike is right, if you get to New England the Kangamangus is a worthy ride. I did that the first week I was on my motorcycle... Though on that trip I was a rookie and nervous that I would not do my riding partners justice (an unfounded worry as it turned out). I think I'm going to take that ride again in the Fall when the leaves start turning. Mike, *lol* I hope you get to "smackass". ;-)
    • 910 posts
    March 21, 2009 2:15 AM PDT

Rexroaddog, The Cali trip will happen someday, I just don't know when. It all hinges on my boy. If he joins the Army at age 18 then it won't be for 6 years. If that's the case then it will be worth the wait I'm sure!

• 910 posts
    March 21, 2009 2:19 AM PDT
    Blaze your bucket list ride sounds positively dreamy!
    • 1 posts
    March 21, 2009 4:54 AM PDT

Believe it or not I am 32 years old and have never been west of the Mississippi or north of Viginia...So my list is long.  The good thing is I still have plenty of time.

New England

The Grand Canyon

New Mexico and Arizona (never seen a desert)

and after seeing this picture in one of Lucky's albums...I NEED to go there...

• g
    March 21, 2009 8:02 AM PDT
    skye is good and inverness all in scotland, and ireland is good
  • March 21, 2009 1:56 PM PDT
    I have been all over this country but not on a bike. I have been in southern California east to northern Michigan. South to Mexico border and north to BC, Canada. I would love to see all the country that I have covered on my bike, and hope to start taking care of that in the near future, after I get some other pressing business out of the way first.
  • March 22, 2009 1:35 AM PDT
    BailOut wrote...

...The good thing is I still have plenty of time.

Hey Bailout, The bad thing is you don't. Yesterday I was 32 today I'm 50. It doesn't take long for 20 years to go by.

As for the "bucket list" I started mine last November with a trip to The Florida Keys on my bike. I would like to ride Route 66, it is next on the list. I'll add to the list after that one. One thing at a time.

• March 23, 2009 7:58 AM PDT
    Hey jrobinson, Now your talkin. Ive been up and down the eastern coast, but have never been west of the missippi on a bike. I really like thesound of Rt 66 to add to that, See Sturgis in all it's splendor, go see some big sky countryin Montanna, See the redwoods in California, Go through painted desert, Head south to Mexico to Copper canyon. head back to PA. I'm 50 now and don't have much time. as we get older time seems to run past us faster and faster....
  • March 23, 2009 8:47 AM PDT

Only two places on my list right now...

The Northwest US (Redwood Forest & Pacific Coast)

Italy (Tuscany to the Southern most point)

• 46 posts
    March 28, 2009 5:21 PM PDT
    Pretty much all the places that everyone else listed. As soon as I retire!
  • April 3, 2009 9:01 PM PDT
    Would like to go south. Haven't done a long south ride, Grand Canyon, Gulf coastline ride thru the southern states, and Florida Keys
  • July 13, 2009 3:39 AM PDT
    I really want to ride around Hawaii.
    After that would be the Northeast in spring of fall.
    • 0 posts
    July 13, 2009 4:17 PM PDT
    The #1 on my list is in the planning stage for next year. 3 Weeks from Seattle to Key West, hang out for a few days and then back by a different route. Probable North going, South coming back
    • 126 posts
    July 14, 2009 5:51 AM PDT
    Would like to ride hwy 101 all the way from Canada to Mexico. That would be a nice ride.
    • 1516 posts
    July 16, 2009 2:27 PM PDT
    This is a wide open topic to me. I have been down to Mexico, up through the Redwoods, and all over in California. Some of the most beautiful riding I have ever done is around Santa Rosa California. I have not been East to much. The farthest I have gone is the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Once again a beautiful ride. The more I think about it, the more I realize I am pretty lucky to have the area that I live in to ride in.
    I think I would really like to ride anywhere it is not hot, or freezing. Road trips are more fun that anything. It is a chance to meet people that you would not meet any other way and have adventures that are a life time memory.
    We have found ourselves on goat trails that I had never known existed, until we went on them, and they are all fun. I guess I am just saying that as long as I am riding, its all good!
    • 83 posts
    September 23, 2009 4:49 AM PDT
    My ultimate trip would be to ride the complete length of Route 66........
    • 2 posts
    October 23, 2009 8:28 AM PDT
    Do the UP of Michigan
    That was my bucket ride & damn I'm still standing, even feeling good - Going to do it again only this time no divided highways then North to my ancestral homeland above Winnipeg
    • 21 posts
    October 24, 2009 2:10 AM PDT
    Gotta go with Lucky Alaskan Highway or straight through Mexico!
  • October 24, 2009 2:40 AM PDT
    Number 1 is route66 coast to coast.
    Number 2 is rent a bike and join a bike tour through Mexico, especially going through the Sierra Madre mountains.