What Tools Do You Carry on Your Motorcycle

• 601 posts
    October 27, 2009 9:52 AM PDT
    A leatherman multi tool, small maglite, and 20 marlboro...if i can't fix it i can wait for help.
  • November 22, 2009 11:44 AM PST
    I may be carrying way too much....
    Since I do have the saddle bags and the large "suitcase" on the back.....I carry alot....

1/4" and 3/8" drive socket/ rachet /extentins etc sizes 6mm - 22mm.....
    Combination wrenches about the same sizes....
    3 sizes each of phillips and standard screwdivers........
    2 each small adjustable wrench,...2 each medium adjustable wrench.....
    .032 roll of safety wire ....
    various sizes of Zip Ties.....
    Allen wrenches....
    diaganal cutters......
    channel locks....
    knife.......
    small ratcheting cargo straps....
    parachute cord...
    Fuses....
    electrical wires...and tape with terminals and connectors..
    flashlight.........
    collapsible fuel container.......
    Extra digital camera ( for emergencies...or if I forgot a camera on the trip )
    Toilet paper ( yep TP )
    and $20 is always on the bike

• 28 posts
    November 29, 2009 4:32 AM PST
    Tools I carry in my bags...1) female first aide kit (contains: chapstick,lipgloss,comb, spare-hair tie, nail file, necessary "bandages" cuz you just never know) and 2) a CruzTools pouch that has everything one may need.

Lesson learned - one night riding, I noticed my my right mirror kept kept getting misaligned and needed adjustments constantly and I knew something was not right. So I pulled off the road and found that the nut that held my mirror is was loose. Went to my bag to pull out my tool kit....missing. Realized I removed my tools when clearing out my bags and forgot to put it back in. Had to remove my mirror and ride 40 miles home, on one mirror. That sucked! But now, I don't leave home without my tools - EVER!

• November 29, 2009 8:47 AM PST
    Since my 1980 Iron Head has got points for the ignition and old HDs vibrate so much I cary all the tools needed to get the timing and the points adjusted after they vibrate loose. After a while one figures out what has to be re-done and carries what's required. Lock tight will save them a lot of worry as well.
  • December 2, 2009 5:34 PM PST
    I just had a thought today riding home from work......that ....what if my clutch cable broke while on a long ride..???
    I can snake a new cable through the casing/ housing ...the wire if I have one prebuilt .....as in just the wire with connections...not the housing...
    What do you all think
  • December 6, 2009 8:24 PM PST
    I'm a little late to this post but hey, I'm a newbie here. My tool bag is more like a survival kit.
    1. Camera.
    2. Long shaft flat head & Phillips.
    3. Gerber Multi tool.
    4. Shoe laces. (Comes in handy when your shifter breaks from the shift rod.)
    5. Flash light.
    6. Matches.
    7. Pistol (Yes I have a license & if you need yours I'm also an instructor in TX)
    8. Water.
  • December 7, 2009 3:09 PM PST

selina
    U just gave me brownie points for the future
    Female first Aid Kit.

I may incorporate that in my saddle bags.
    BROWNIE POINTS   !!!!

• 5420 posts
    November 20, 2010 2:03 AM PST
    Just added a 10mm wrench for the battery. I have a full set of ASE wrenches, but until I needed to take the battery out, completely forgot about the 10mm.
  • November 20, 2010 6:20 AM PST
    I know with the newer fuel injected bikes that plug fouling is a rare occurence so I guess its just habbit but I always carry a set of spare spark plugs. I also carry about ten feet of bailing wire too, this stuff allows me to become McGivar and fix all sorts of stuff. But without a doubt everyone needs a qualitys leatherman these things are a godsend and will allow you to fix all sorts of problems.
  • November 23, 2010 5:43 AM PST
    All I carry is my Harley Assist card and a mobile phone.
  • November 26, 2010 12:35 PM PST
    I carry a small copy(booklet), of The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and a Rosary.
  • December 6, 2010 11:52 AM PST
    wow - im not alone- i carry about what lucky has- while on the sporty during my venture- i even had a one gallon of gas in the bag as well!!! LMAO i still carry all the same tools- wrenches- allens- vice grips- my knife- F4 tape, and spare splices- wire tie string etc- ya never know
  • December 7, 2010 2:17 AM PST
    WOW! Guess I need to pack more shit! I have a small bike, no saddle bags, ( dont like the look) only a roll bag, its a sporty. If I need extra space I use a small sissy bar bag. I do have a tool bag. the only thing I would not leave home without is my, hemet its the law! But it has been known to happen.
  • December 9, 2010 1:11 PM PST
    Got everything I need to do just about every job needed - Except major engine overhaul gear. Once a Boy Scout always a Boy Scout.
  • December 15, 2010 10:18 AM PST
    I carry my tool box with me in my saddle bag cause ya just never know what you may need when stuck on the side of the road or if someone else is stuck on the sode of the road and i stop to help then. I probaly have 10 pounds of tools in a small metal toolbox lol
    • 2072 posts
    December 18, 2010 8:25 AM PST
    I ride a Suzuki....... I don't need no stinkin' tools !!!!!!
  • December 19, 2010 4:32 AM PST
    I have a cool little zipper pouch with damn near everything I could ever need but a bearing press and a wheel balancer. AND I never need it... kicking Murphy's butt!
  • December 19, 2010 10:03 AM PST
    If we were riding 2up and someone asked what tools are on the bike she would just point at me
  • December 19, 2010 11:50 AM PST
    Dynacologist wrote...
    A roll up tool pouch with the basics,some extra spark plugs, tire repair kit and a Keltec 9mm! Nice,plug kit to fix holes,Keltec to make holes!!!!

I hear ya brother

• January 17, 2011 11:43 AM PST
    Cell phone!
    • 202 posts
    January 19, 2011 8:09 AM PST
    i have a honda, no tools necessary! lmao

I do have the tool 'kit' that the bike comes with, but i don't know how to do anything so it is pretty useless! I do however bring plenty of warm apparel and water; that way if i don't make it home, no problem!
    • 1516 posts
    January 19, 2011 8:18 AM PST
    jake wrote...
    If we were riding 2up and someone asked what tools are on the bike she would just point at me

I completely understand that!!

• 16831 posts
    January 19, 2011 4:17 PM PST
    My first bike was a surplus 1943 WLA, my last bike a 2003 Ultra with sidecar, in between I had quite a few Harleys
    from different stages of the "Motor Company". My oldest was a 1936.

Pre- AMF: a simple bag of common tools,
    AMF years: every tool I could carry,
    Harley restructuring years: a friend with a trailer,
    Twin cam 88 years: The tool sack that came with the bike.
  • January 23, 2013 2:50 AM PST
    On my shovel all my tools.On my road king visa card!
  • January 23, 2013 3:01 AM PST
    Number to the AAA, visa, and a flask of Patron Reserve.