What Should Girls Bring for Motorcycle Camping?

• 277 posts
    July 1, 2009 5:11 PM PDT
    Lucky and I ride and tent camp often.  I have no problem with this, in fact, I love it.  I can be a "girly girl" when I have to, but when you camp in a tent, you just can't do the make-up thing.  I bring cleanser, moisterizer, cover-up for under the eyes, chapstick and that's it!  Is that so bad?  I feel "lacking" when I camp at rallies and see other girls with their blow dryers and all this make-up and perfume....etc.  Any comments about this? 
  • July 2, 2009 12:58 AM PDT
    I with on that one.I'm always to drunk to do my hair ane put on makeup so way bring it! From a camping girl too!
  • July 2, 2009 5:21 AM PDT
    I've been camping my entire life and nothing annoys me more than people like my Dad who go "camping" with a 38' fifth wheel.  Camping is about roughing it and although it sounds cheesy, being at one with nature.  Women don't need to bring any more than guys bring, deodorant and a tooth brush.  The girls who try to get dressed up while camping must have the lowest self-esteem on the planet.  My wife and I took an over-night trip to celebrate our anniversary and even though we weren't camping, she brought less than I did.  We had a terrific time and she looked as beautiful as she always does.  I just think there is too much emphasis on looking a certain way.  Especially while camping, just be yourself.  Besides, with the skimpy little outfits you ladies get from biker crap, nobody is looking at your face and hair.
  • July 2, 2009 3:46 PM PDT
    RIGHT ON DUDE! I like your way of thinkin'!
  • July 2, 2009 4:43 PM PDT
    I guess I will add that my wife (not with me this year at Redwood) roughs it pretty good. She can do 700 miles a day or more with me and we can still bring some of the comforts of home for her. I have a battery tender plug on my battery that I use with an adapter for a cigarette lighter connection. From this Glenda can plug in a dc powereed hair blow dryer or curling iron. I also charge our cell phones, camera and video camera from it.
    Glenda gets by if she can at least do her hair up, everything else she can rough.

But at least a tooth brush for the pearly whites! 
    • 1516 posts
    July 3, 2009 9:27 AM PDT
    I can "ruff" it pretty good, but I really enjoy being spoiled. We have the kewlest little trailer for our bike, and we have got down just exactly what to bring, to the point that I have room for a hair straightner and a little touch up make up. As long as I have some sun protection and mascara I am good with it.
    We even put a little camp stove in the trailer when we went to RWR this year and some chicken wings, yummm and coffee in the morning. But lets just not forget the important stuff to bring camping... BOOZE!!!
    • 910 posts
    July 5, 2009 1:18 AM PDT
    I was on the road for 4 weeks and aside from the usual cleansers for hair, face, teeth and body I used only mascara, sunblock and lip balm. Though, I did stay in hotels or with friends so yes, I used a blow dryer and straightener because opportunity availed.
    • 0 posts
    July 8, 2009 11:58 AM PDT
    The most important things for any girl to bring is a sense of adventure and a willingness to let loose and have some fun. Anything else is secondary and can be purchased or borrowed if required.
    • 1516 posts
    July 8, 2009 3:52 PM PDT
    GaryTJ - Very Well Put
  • July 15, 2009 3:31 AM PDT
    You know you really don't need a whole lot when your traveling on a bike...camping or hoteling it. I agree with HDBeech for the toiletries, some cleanser, tooth brush & paste, little powder and maybe lipstick (in case he takes out to dinner). For clothes I pack really light too. I usually have one set that I try to keep clean in case we do want to stop for dinner or a tourist attraction or something like that, and then those are my ride home clothes. Otherwise its usually two sets that I rotate back and forth each day.

I also try to bring some of my older clothes that are on their last wearing. That way I don't have to bring them home with me, and I have room to pickup t-shirts or other goodies along the way.
    • 0 posts
    July 16, 2009 5:25 AM PDT
    Toni, Very good idea on the clothes. (old that can be tossed) I will keep that in mind as I pack next week. Thanks!
    • 844 posts
    July 19, 2009 4:00 AM PDT
    Hey HDB, Those girls you see at motorcycle rallies with the blow dryers and all the other unnecessary crap - what you probably don't see is their ol' mans trailer parked 2 miles out of town!
    • 277 posts
    July 19, 2009 4:28 PM PDT
    GoFur...you're probably right!! At Hollister, I so wish I had a camera...I went into the restroom and two girls were in there: One with a curling iron and a huge bag of cosmetics, the other with a duffel bag of cosmetics and putting on all this make-up! I guess I could have asked them if they actually "rode" to Hollister!
    • 844 posts
    July 20, 2009 8:21 AM PDT
    You have a lot more diplomacy than I do, I would have had to say something.

Too bad you didn't have the camera.  New rule: Always take the camera into the ladies room and take lots of pictures.
    • 1516 posts
    July 24, 2009 2:35 AM PDT
    GoFur.. HD was way to busy getting pictures taken of her. She was was "ON DEMAND"..
    • 81 posts
    July 24, 2009 6:54 AM PDT
    I travel very light. We ride two on the bike so it limits how much we can take. As far as toiletries pretty much we share everything, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, but we do bring our own toothbrushes. For clothes again very little, a change a jeans, a few tops for different weather, undies and socks. For makeup...maybe lipstick and powder.

I do like Toni's idea of bringing throw-away clothes. I am going to start putting my clothes aside when they have a couple of wearings left and save them for motorcycle trips.
    • 1509 posts
    December 15, 2009 7:28 AM PST
    Why bring cloths at all we are getting close to nature can't get no closer than buck naked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of you may need a paper bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 19034 posts
    December 15, 2009 10:47 PM PST
    well here is a reason to bring clothes....

• 277 posts
    December 16, 2009 1:08 AM PST
    Rex...Wow!
    • 1509 posts
    December 16, 2009 1:17 AM PST
    That is why I said bring a paper bag. A barf bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

need one if I take my cloths off in pubic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • December 16, 2009 1:55 AM PST
    Well after that one, what else is there to say about 'minimalist camping'! When I travel on the bike, I am prepared as I have been hiking and backpacking in the backcountry for years. Having the bike to carry the load and not my back, I can take a few luxuries like an air mattress! Sleeping comfort for guys or gals is probably the biggest luxury!
  • July 27, 2011 3:14 AM PDT
    I went camping on the bike for the first time last weekend with a small group up in Big Bear. I got everything I needed in a small bag that fit on the back seat. Had extra pair of jeans, shorts, flip flops, new shirt for each day and one sweat shirt for night, undies & socks, toothbrush, soap and shampoo. What else do you need. Oh yeah... bottle of Vodka
    • 9 posts
    July 27, 2011 5:09 AM PDT

Rex, after seeing that pic, I swear I will NEVER worry about hair or make-up again!!!  

Linda, girl you are beautiful.  Don't sweat not having make-up or a blow dryer!  You don't even need 'em!  And besides, when you're on the bike, your wearing shades and the hair is pulled back, yes?  
    Way to much emphasis IS put on our looks, to the point where beautiful women (such as yourself) even start to question their attractiveness.  Sad.  Wait til age starts taking it's toll.  Until then, enjoy what God gave you!
    And don't fret over something you really don't need to change, huh?

I worry more now, if my bike isn't clean and pretty, for everyone!!!  Now that's a priority!
    Ride Free

Tweek

• July 27, 2011 5:40 PM PDT
    What a great question. I do pack make up, toothbursh/paste, hairbrush/ties depending on how long of a stay a couple pair of clothes (warm/chilly or cold) and a pair of sandals. I have large saddlebags and a tour pack that sits on my passenger seat that I can lean on long rides. The best thing I have on my bike is an icechest, it holds 3 waters, 3 sodas, 3 beers and keeps ice all day long. But I also have a small bag that my husband feels is totally unecessary which contains items "just in case". I have a buck knife, all in one tool, sunblock, lip blam, bandaids, asprin/tylonol, wet wipes, tissues, binaculars, small bible, pen, small note pad, comb, hair ties, lighter/matches, and probably a few miscellaneous items I've forgotten. Even though my hubby finds this annoying he always ask for something that he needs and I pull out of my lil'black bag. As far as roughing it, I was raised in the back woods of Okla. Roughing it was a way of life.
    • 844 posts
    July 28, 2011 2:42 AM PDT

Me! Girls should bring me camping!!!