Bike of the Month Categories

• 5419 posts
    May 25, 2010 8:39 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Ok, for this month, to keep it simple, we are going with two categories....

Stock - Factory built bikes including those with custom paint and bolt on accessories.

Chopper & Custom - Any chopper built or factory made or and custom bike, including stock bikes with modifications to and of the frame or metal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Next month will will have the following categories...

Stock - Factory production bike including those with custom paint and bolt on accessories. We may break this down to American, Metric, and Sport, depending on the number of entries.

Factory Customs & Choppers - any factory build custom motor cycle (OCC, Big Dog, Iron Horse ) produced and sold for profit!

Custom Build - Any custom built bike, or factory bike with mods to the frame, metal, or basic structure.

Vintage - Any Bike originally manufactured before 1985

Just a reminder on how the classes are seperated for the bike of the month.  I know we haven't broken out the Factory Customs and Custom Buit Bikes yet, but that's because we haven't had enough entries to do it.

Each month I get a ton of messages saying this or that should be in a different category, and although I do agree with some, we are not going to have a contest with 8 categories and 2 bikes in each.  So as the entries justify it, we will introduce some new categories.

The largest number of emails I get is regarding bikes with custom paint should be in the custom category.  I personally don't believe that myself because although a paint job does make the bike unique, it doesn't really make it a custom motorcycle.  Then we would have to get into how much paint makes it custom.  Does a airbrushed flame on the saddle bag make it custom?  How about if it is a solid paint job, but not a factory color, or metalic flake paint, is that custom?  You can see how it would become very subjective, real fast.  That's why we made the classes as we did.

But I am always open to suggestions, so if you have input, lets hear it.

• 844 posts
    May 25, 2010 8:52 AM PDT
    OK My Opinion: I think the categories are great for this contest. Remember this is not a big bike show with trophies and prize money, it's a bunch of friends really just wanting to show off their bikes with pictures in the entry forum. And a few of our good friends wind up with their bike on the home page.

Lucky, I would hate to be in your shoes if you have to start making judgment calls on what is custom and what is not, so the hard fast rules for actual modifications are a great guideline. Besides, I have seen some pretty much stock bikes, paint and all win or come really close to winning, because they are nice looking bikes. Hell there ain't one person on here that rides a bike with 100% of the parts it came out of the factory with, so they're ALL customs.

I seems to work fine, most all bikes get some votes...So until it breaks, don't fix it.

Just one mans opinion! (but it's the right one
    • 834 posts
    May 25, 2010 9:31 AM PDT
      Paint does not really make a bike custom, any more than custom wheels, or a custom seat.  Just where would you draw the line?  Like my good friend GoFur said, is there really any stock bikes?

I too think you did a good job, especially for a friendly competition!!!  Sounds to me like someone is just .
  • January 14, 2011 9:15 AM PST
    RiverRat0 wrote...
    So what happens if you have an American metric? Like the HD V-rod or a Victory.
    L.O.L.  the  V~ Rod ant no dam harley ! yet its just as use~less as an  China Sell Out  Arlin  Ness VICTORY !
    No class  motorcycles ! its all about his chrome plated China made CRAP !
    • 0 posts
    January 14, 2011 1:04 PM PST
    nightdragon wrote...
    Flatlander wrote...
    nightdragon wrote...
    Looks like everyone has covered this pretty well.........except
    (1. Women own bikes with the owner posing of course in a bathing suit of her choice
    (2. Men own bikes with the owner posing with all the empty beer cans laying around they just drank....more cans more votes

Well it was a through......not much of one, but my contribution
    Dragon

(3. Bikes not required for women in Bathing Suits)...........

I can live with that!!
    Dragon

SHIT DRAGON THAT AINT FAIR>>>I'D WIN THE BLOODY THING EVERY DAMN MONTH IF THAT WAS THE CASE...lol

• April 11, 2011 6:09 AM PDT
    These are great ideas because we can vote for other styles of bikes that we like and it might make the voting more interesting at the end of the month, good call!
  • April 11, 2011 6:09 AM PDT
    shedsruty59 wrote...
    Nice job Lucky:

the thing I don't agree with call it personal or what.In Pa. Antique is 25 years, Clasic is 15 years and older, I thought Vintage should change accordingly. My Opinion.

Your decision I will agree with!

hand

I still love this bike!:-)

• May 18, 2012 4:52 AM PDT
    Just joined your site how do I enter Bike of month contest?
  • May 18, 2012 5:05 AM PDT
    I agree;
    Custom/stock ....... and "OTHER"
    • 1 posts
    May 18, 2012 5:45 AM PDT
    Tom,

Our "Contest of the Month" is not always a Bike of the Month contest.  This month (May 2012) we are doing a Photo of the Month contest.  You can go to the Contest of the Month Forum Category (http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/category/19/index) and the top entry (right under How the Contest Works) will always be the current contest.

The Bike of the Month will be back in June!