oil change

• November 25, 2013 1:22 PM PST
    Harley has the most screwed up oil system but I use it to my advantage. to over come the oil left in the case, I do this. Harley's oil system goes oil tank to pump to engine to filter to tank since there is no plug in the case, after draining the oil I put a pan under the filter before installing the filter I put 2 qts in the tank, crank the motor and watch the oil drain into the pan until it's clean. it really works. Never run your engine dry of oil!!!!! 
    • 1 posts
    November 25, 2013 1:55 PM PST
    At the price of Syn these days you just added 15 to 20 dollars to the oil change. I always run the engine till its hot before I do an oil change - which you should always do anyway - and that should ensure everything has enough oil coat on it to crank the engine for a second or two with the plug out. Plus with syn there isn't as much breakdown so if you add 5 qts change the filter and leave lease than a 1/2 qt in the case should not really be a problem.
    • 844 posts
    November 26, 2013 4:51 AM PST
    Never really thought about it, but I guess there is a bit of oil left in the case.
  • November 26, 2013 5:17 AM PST
    I normally have a little over a qt left in the case. I'm happy with Dino. Mine is 4qt and it takes less than 3 to fill it after a change. so that's over 25% old oil left in the case. also mine is OLD 30yrs it goes through oil quicker than newer models
  • December 16, 2013 1:31 PM PST
    New 2014 dyna switchback , ready for 1000 mile service can't decide which oil to go with ,conventional or synthetic. What do you Harley guys recomend ?
    • 5419 posts
    December 16, 2013 1:52 PM PST
    I would personally recommend Syn on a newer bike!!!
  • December 16, 2013 8:12 PM PST
    there is always a little oil left in the case. I always use the same type of oil change after change. As long as you change your oil in a timely manner that small amount left in won't matter. At least it hasn't for me and I've been doing it the same way for years with no prob.
    • 44 posts
    December 17, 2013 12:44 AM PST
    garbnod627 wrote...
    New 2014 dyna switchback , ready for 1000 mile service can't decide which oil to go with ,conventional or synthetic. What do you Harley guys recomend ?

just a note synthetic oil is good but the thing I have seen is just becuse you got the money and everyone says syn in better two oil changes down the road you dont want or decide it to costly and you use dino oil thats where you run into problems Ionly use dino never had any issues
    • 5419 posts
    December 17, 2013 1:49 AM PST
    garbnod627 wrote...

Here is a whole lot of discussion on Syn Lube vs Dino oil... http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/General/The-Garage/Synthetic-Lube-VS-Motor-Oil-74-1.html />
    • 5419 posts
    December 17, 2013 2:14 AM PST
    As for the oil left in the case I guess I kind of knew it was there but never really worried about it. I think the newer bikes have changed a bit because when I pulled the plug from the bottom of the case there was only about 1/2 qt in there. Plus when I re-fill it takes almost the entire 5 quarts.
  • December 17, 2013 6:13 AM PST
    I don't have a crank-case plug and being an older engine I like to do a complete change. This was the first time I captured and trashed the 2 qts of oil like I described but I must say my oil looks a lot better than it ever has.
  • October 1, 2014 5:38 AM PDT
    aquadave wrote...
    I normally have a little over a qt left in the case. I'm happy with Dino. Mine is 4qt and it takes less than 3 to fill it after a change. so that's over 25% old oil left in the case. also mine is OLD 30yrs it goes through oil quicker than newer models

I know know how it is man...

• 84 posts
    October 1, 2014 7:35 AM PDT
    My '06 Dyna takes 3 qts for a dry capacity refill and 2.5 qts for a wet capacity refill. So a half a qt (roughly 16.6%) stays inside.

I'm pretty consistent on oil changes and don't much worry about contamination.
    • 19007 posts
    October 3, 2014 11:38 PM PDT
    Your supposed to change that stuff???? Well Ya learn something new every day...
  • October 4, 2014 7:59 AM PDT
    If Harley's not worried about the left over oil, then I'm not worried about it ether. Most Harley's are driven on paved roads and not in dirty dusty fields pulling heavy machinery. You should see the oil that comes out of my tillage tractors after 100 hours of hard work. It's thick and black as coal,
    • 2 posts
    October 19, 2014 11:26 AM PDT
    Just picked up a 2014 Slim. And plan to switch to Amsoil Synthetic 20W-50 for all three sumps.
    • 19007 posts
    October 19, 2014 11:53 PM PDT
    Fred77 wrote...
    If Harley's not worried about the left over oil, then I'm not worried about it ether. Most Harley's are driven on paved roads and not in dirty dusty fields pulling heavy machinery. You should see the oil that comes out of my tillage tractors after 100 hours of hard work. It's thick and black as coal,

• December 11, 2014 7:10 AM PST
    these machines take oil..?? learn something every stinkin' day.
    • 10 posts
    December 20, 2014 4:05 AM PST
    70 W all year round. If something doesn't leak... there is no oil in the bike
    • 2 posts
    December 20, 2014 9:37 AM PST
    panheadgeorge wrote...
    70 W all year round. If something doesn't leak... there is no oil in the bike
    70W? That would make it burst at all seams.
    • 10 posts
    December 22, 2014 4:15 AM PST
    manual calls for 70 w summer and 50W winter. Panheads are low pressure / high volume for oil.
  • December 22, 2014 3:25 PM PST
    115,000 mi. On my '05 EGlide using HD 20-50, changed every 5,000 mi. I use a vampire to suck most of the oil out the filler hole, then use the drain plug to get the rest. Still runs strong. Running Headquarters 034 gear drive cams & PCIII tuner.