NFL season is upon us, Who will you be rooting for?

• 9 posts
    September 24, 2012 7:06 PM PDT
    Oh Gosh, Louis, that game yesterday musta REALLY hurt, then, huh? Sorry...

I told Ya'll...this season is what football is ALL about. Your gonna see some things, that'd curl your hair.
    (if, you still got any, that is...lmao)

The Saints lost, the Steelers lost, the Raiders WON. The Jag's WON. WOW....
    It's times like this...I need freakin' ESPN!
    I...II...how many ESPN'S are there, now>>>???

WTF?...this is a really shitty time to be broke as a spoke on a one horse'd trailer. FEEL ME???

It still beats the HELL outta BASKETBALL!

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • September 24, 2012 11:13 PM PDT
    That ridiculous game-ending call in last night's Seattle/Green Bay game was the final straw for me. I am boycotting the NFL until they fix this mess with the officiating...
    • 2685 posts
    September 25, 2012 12:12 AM PDT
    Neither team is my favorite, I did like the Pack back when Favre and Holmgren where there though. I think I was probably the last (for lack of a better word) supporter of the replacements. Div 2 and Div 3 refs were doing the best they could and all that but wow last night had me switch sides. That was some of the most blatently poor officiating I have ever seen.
    Now as far as who's to blame, they haven't really been talking a lot about the 'real' refs and what is going on but from I hear hey are fighting for retirement benefits, which is a good thing but come on, not everyone has retirement and they make like $6k a game maybe they should be doing some of their own planning.

This may be a non-popular statement but when unions were formed they were needed and a good thing, in today's world they are just greedy money hungry organizations and should be obolished.
    Ok, off my soap box for now. 8^)
  • September 25, 2012 12:34 PM PDT
    yea that game last night was too much,but ya thought for sure the replay official would make things right and they screwed it up too.i wanted seattle to win but after seeing the way it all went down i felt kinda nausius.
    • 2 posts
    September 25, 2012 12:36 PM PDT
     Should not say anything, did not watch the game BUT

• 5420 posts
    September 25, 2012 3:22 PM PDT
    Vulcan wrote...
    Neither team is my favorite, I did like the Pack back when Favre and Holmgren where there though. I think I was probably the last (for lack of a better word) supporter of the replacements. Div 2 and Div 3 refs were doing the best they could and all that but wow last night had me switch sides. That was some of the most blatently poor officiating I have ever seen.
    Now as far as who's to blame, they haven't really been talking a lot about the 'real' refs and what is going on but from I hear hey are fighting for retirement benefits, which is a good thing but come on, not everyone has retirement and they make like $6k a game maybe they should be doing some of their own planning.

This may be a non-popular statement but when unions were formed they were needed and a good thing, in today's world they are just greedy money hungry organizations and should be obolished.

Couldn't agree more.  What most people realize is there are only 6 that's SIX full-time referees in the NFL.  The majority of the NFL referees are typically fairly successful business men (lots of lawers are refs) who can afford to take the time to go to school and then take a lot of Mondays off during football season.  Most do it because of the are true football fanatics and it is a way to participate.  One of the items on the table in these negotiations is to up that to 10 full-time refs over the next few years.  So for the most part these guy probably have some type of retirement progam in place, or are already in an early retirement.

I personally don't think these guys should even have a union.  Don't get me wrong I am all for unions where they are needed to stand up for workers who have no position to do it on their own.  But I don't believe unions were started in the spirit of representing multi-million dollar athletes or people who seek jobs to live out their football fantasy as a referee.

Ok, off the soap box now.  I just hope that the players and coaches can keep focused on playing the game and continue to be competitive even when things happen beyond their control.

• 79 posts
    September 25, 2012 3:39 PM PDT
    Too many bad calls this season and it's only week 3. That being said i have been a raiders fan since i was 10 years old and first started watching football and will be a raiders fan when i die.
  • September 25, 2012 11:25 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Vulcan wrote...

Couldn't agree more.  What most people realize is there are only 6 that's SIX referees in the NFL.  The majority of the NFL referees are typically fairly successful business men (lots of lawers are refs) who can afford to take the time to go to school and then take a lot of Mondays off during football season.  Most do it because of the are true football fanatics and it is a way to participate.  One of the items on the table in these negotiations is to up that to 10 full-time refs over the next few years.  So for the most part these guy probably have some type of retirement progam in place, or are already in an early retirement.

I personally don't think these guys should even have a union.  Don't get me wrong I am all for unions where they are needed to stand up for workers who have no position to do it on their own.  But I don't believe unions were started in the spirit of representing multi-million dollar athletes or people who seek jobs to live out their football fantasy as a referee.

Ok, off the soap box now.  I just hope that the players and coaches can keep focused on playing the game and continue to be competitive even when things happen beyond their control.

I'm beginning to think we're getting exactly what we deserve.  The NFLRA is making some pretty unreasonable demands, really, and it has been pointed out that some of the sticking points (like a bench of "replacement" refs for underperforming officials) is not unheard of elsewhere in the business world.  Roger Goodell seems to be off in his own world of denial, where just saying "all is well" over and over again makes everything okay.  The players file lawsuits against the NFL over safety issues, then almost the very next day talk about taking out players from the other team (the whole Reggie Bush/Darelle Revis thing we've been reading about, for example).  And they complain that the lousy job the replacement officials are doing puts their safety at risk... but apparently aren't so concerned about it that they won't show up to play on Sunday.  And the fans only seem to be really bothered by this whole fiasco when it's *their* team getting screwed.  How many Seattle Seahawks fans thought the "Fail Mary" call Monday night was a travesty?  Not many, I'd bet.

• 9 posts
    September 26, 2012 12:21 AM PDT
    What that was, to a "real fan", was the biggest fiasco (WORST CALL EVER), in history. I mean COME ON!?! But, to save face, the NFL HAD to stand behind that call, or they'd have to "review" every other call, they've EVER made.
    Don't agree with the call, but have to agree, that was the only decision that could be made. The FANS, won't forget.
    Crikey, there's even been death threats on the two "officials" in the end zone...

It will certainly be a "wake up" call to the hold-out ref's, though. At least I want to think so. It's time to settle, and get back in the game. Before someone decides to go with a totally "electronic" officiating system.
    That's in the future, but it could sure be fast-tracked, with the money the NFL, generates.

And personally, I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing. Camera's don't have bad eye-sight, neither are
    they prejudicial, in any way...

RIde Free
    Tweek
    • 2685 posts
    September 26, 2012 1:55 AM PDT
    Oh, so the refs were using this new rule.    
    • 5420 posts
    September 27, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
    There back!!!! 

The regular refs are  back and will be officiating tonights game.

Man I really hope there are no blow  calls

• 2685 posts
    September 27, 2012 5:45 AM PDT
    Now that we are over this one hurdle can anyone answer why the booth ref, who is supposed to be an experienced NFL ref, would not have overturned that?
    If it was one of the replacements it would make more sense but from what I understand the booth guys were NFL refs in the past and not newbies.
    • 1855 posts
    September 27, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
    I don't understand why the players didn't walk out when the refs first went out. It seems to me that "not providing a reasonable amount of protection" by not having professional refs on the field would have been a violation of players contracts across the board.
    • 277 posts
    October 4, 2012 1:52 AM PDT
    I used to be a Colts Fan...but now that my boy is on Denver...GO BRONCOS!  (Love you Peyton) 
  • October 4, 2012 2:34 AM PDT
    BRONCOS- first and foremost.....but also the Raiders. I love it when they play each other. I don't lose! I miss Bill Romanowski.
    • 5420 posts
    October 4, 2012 2:40 AM PDT
    Denver finally looked good this past weekend. Still think it is going to take a little while to adjust the offense to Manning's game, but when they do - look out!

Still really liking San Fran this year as the team to watch.
    • 2685 posts
    October 4, 2012 2:48 AM PDT
    Not real happy with my Giants right now. No reason we should have lost to two division teams.

But I am not a fair weather fan so, GO BIG BLUE!!
    • 3006 posts
    October 4, 2012 3:50 AM PDT
    I have to agree wit Lucky,the team to watch will be the Niners.They throughly trounced the Jets,and with the rite game plan can beat any team on the field rite now.Having a great coach we all know makes a world of difference !!!
    Bill Walsh proved that,along w/ Lombardi n other giants of coaching.

Go Niners !!!
    • 823 posts
    October 4, 2012 4:39 AM PDT
    Die hard Cowboy fan here. So I think I will be doing a lot of riding this winter rather than watching football...................
    • 601 posts
    October 7, 2012 11:09 AM PDT
    just checked out the Bengals...doin' OK !!
    • 1855 posts
    October 7, 2012 1:11 PM PDT
    I dont' care anymore!!! As long as Miami looses to anyone I'm happy. As long Vick and Rottencheeseburger end up on their backs I'm happy with that too. But I've not seen any NFL team that could beat LSU, Alabama, or Ohio State.

Peace
    • 844 posts
    October 7, 2012 2:00 PM PDT
    Guero wrote...
    Die hard Cowboy fan here. So I think I will be doing a lot of riding this winter rather than watching football...................

Die hard Cowboy fan myself.  Just hoping they can find a better QB than Romo here soon

• 2685 posts
    October 8, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
    Big Blue moving in the right direction again but next week is going to be a tough one.
    • 9 posts
    October 8, 2012 1:27 AM PDT
    Well...I'm thoroughly disgusted with the Jaguars. I think Khan needs to fire the whole freakin' staff, and S***Can the "rookie" QB. I know, he's not a rookie anymore, but he's sure failing like one. DAGNABBIT!!! I told my son yesterday, and I believe it. This town will NOT support a LOSING team, and I don't think anyone much cares ATM, if Khan WAS sell the team to L.A. That rumor has been flyin' around J'ville for years.

I haven't seen this bad a team, since Miami, lost Dan Marino. Good Lord!

I told Ya'll we were going to see things this year, we hadn't before. But even I am surprised, somewhat.
    Michael Vick? Wtf? Is he "using" or what?
    Peyton Manning? Time to retire, dude! (really not surprised)
    Drew Brees? Watch him, this year.
    Eli Manning? Out to slap his bro in the face...lol
    with Victor Cruz and Ahmad Bradshaw...I don't know how a Super Bowl return won't be a LOCK!

So, my team sucks...there's plenty of others ready to step up and into the slot!

Yeah! I LOVE'S ME SOME FOOTBALL!!!

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 5420 posts
    October 8, 2012 2:13 AM PDT
    Talk about a couple of ass whoopins yesterday!!! And sorry Tweek you r Jags had to be on the wrong end of one of them. The other was was them 49ers beating up on the Bills. I am still liking the 49ers to be in the Superbowl.

Now Tweek, I don't think Payton is anywhere near retirement! You got to cut him a little slack. Back after a year off and playing with a new team, its gonna take a few more games for him to be back at full speed and even a few more after that for the Bronco's offense to adjust to a Manning type of play. Remember they are coming off Tebo, so they're are not used to having a Pro QB. And maybe a little better effort from the defense would help some too!!!