It's a comfort thing

• 1855 posts
    July 12, 2012 11:28 PM PDT
    Here's the deal.   I've ridden hard throughout my 64 years (45 in the wind).  I've ridden long.  I've ridden steady. I've ridden head up in the rain, wind, and snow.  But now my ass hurts after 4 hours in the saddle. Yeah, us old dudes tend to lose our backside cushion.  Oh, and just so ya know.  There's also a phenomenon of fatty tissue loss in the balls of our feet, making it feel like we are walking on rocks; both especially true in many diabetics (guilty).

End of lesson one,   and to the point.  Gel pads?  Anyone try 'em?  I can't see how anything is gonna make a difference when you spend a day in the saddle.  And I'm not prone to shelling out cash only to find out something ain't worth it.  I'd just as soon tough it out.

In and of themselves the seats on my motorcycles are really comfortable.  However, the fact remains that I'm getting a boney butt and I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions.  Yeah, yeah, I'll deal with a couple smartass replies just 'cuz that's what we do.    But I am curious. 

Peace
  • July 13, 2012 12:22 AM PDT
    I had the same problem i had my seat jelled at a rally it looked like shit when it was done and felt like shit also. I then the very next day went and bought a mustang seat and i love that. I can ride 500 miles a day. not saying i dont get soar but its way better! Be safe on your trip
    • 19028 posts
    July 13, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
    Haven't used a seat with the gel pad but I have had them in my combat boots for a long time. I wouldn't walk without them. Rex is due for a new seat cover and I am thinking of having the custom seat guy put one in.
    • 1855 posts
    July 13, 2012 12:31 AM PDT
    Thanks for the info on your experience with the Gel. As for the Mustang seat. My motorcycles have always had Mustang seats and, like I said, are really pretty comfortable. It's just, well, I'm a couple of decades older than you. LOL

Peace
    • 19028 posts
    July 13, 2012 12:38 AM PDT
    I too have a Mustang on Rex and it has never been uncomfortable. But since I am going to have it reshaped (narrowed in the front) a bit, and recovered, it is falling into the 'you might as well' category. We will see what the ticket price is though.
    • 467 posts
    July 13, 2012 2:09 AM PDT
    Air Hawk seat cushions with a sheepskin cover are the only way to go! The AH is a bit spendy (around $150.00) but feel amazing on a long trip. The sheepskin to throw over the whole thing keeps you from sweating in the heat and keeps you warmer when it is cool. The Air Hawk is adjustable and really cuts the vibration transfer from the bike and is just cushy.
    • 5420 posts
    July 13, 2012 4:28 AM PDT
    Jimmy, I have the same problem. As years have gone by my back and my butt just can't take the long rides like they used to. I have cured the back problem with a more bucket shaped seat, a back rest and different handle bars, but I still have not cured the butt sore butt issue.

If you go with one of the pads, be sure to let us know what you think.
    • 1855 posts
    July 13, 2012 6:21 AM PDT
    "If" I buy one I'll give ya my opinion.

Peace
    • 0 posts
    July 13, 2012 6:23 AM PDT
    I have talked to quite a few long distance riders. (600-1000 a day) and a LOT of them go for the beaded seat covers.
    Cooler by allowing air through, massages the butt for increased blood circulation and some of them have had the same cover for three or four bikes.

Fairly inexpensive too.
  • July 13, 2012 9:03 AM PDT
    I have tried all the above.....in USA..... and I have to say that with my 42 years of legal street riding (and 5 years illegally before that...lol...) ... I found that they all have their own merits...

Some of the heavier guys whose bikes had the beads on had to keep shifting sitting position often as it was causing spots to ache a bit and go numb, but at the end of the ride they were ok - not making a fuss...so thats the beads - they work by keeping you moving about - thats what I also found, and I aint heavy...

Gel pads when fitted correctly and the correct pad for the correct saddle for the correct bike was installed it worked, but the softer aspect of it gave me slightly less feeling of the ride, and again I had to shift position quite often.....

Saddle on MY OWN bike is a good and comfy one...I found I was getting the same thing after a couple of tanks of gas...I put pull back risers on my bars, also, added Honda style pull back bars, now my sitting angle is much more upright I have NOT had ANY trouble WHATSOEVER with either my back or my butt!!!

Cheapest option matey.....Fit Pull Back Risers on the yokes and make your bars come in closer to you making you sit up a lot straighter...it worked for me and it costs next to nothing...I STILL can hang loose...I STILL can slump low in the saddle...I STILL can sit bolt upright.....ALL these newer positions have taken ALL those problems away...

If you already have pull back risers then get BIGGER ones fitted.....Try It.....You may just find it works for you like it did for me...

Hope all that helps.....
  • July 13, 2012 9:23 AM PDT
    I have heard of people wearing bike shorts that have Gel Pads built into them under jeans. My better half's father does that on his longer rides. I borrowed a cheap old air cushion from him when we went to Sturgis and it made all the difference to me.
  • July 13, 2012 9:49 AM PDT
    I used a gel pad on my sportster and it reduced a great deal of the vibrations and little bumps,, it did save my back some, but then again I was young and on a 77, so I say God Bless Gel pads..............
    • 130 posts
    July 16, 2012 6:49 PM PDT
    My missus did a seat mod for me when I first got my Valkyrie. The stock seat is rather wide, anyhow, so she lowered and narrowed it then cut a pocket in the foam for a raw gel pad and recovered the whole. thing. It's worked great for a whole lot of miles.

Rood Seat Mod
    • 1 posts
    July 17, 2012 12:29 AM PDT
    ...mate..the subject of the year..lol...ass pads. I was told that, vulcan seats were like sitting on steel...and yep they was right them dudes who told me....So i knew I needed something and quick....As luck would have it, and $70 bucks I got a hold of one (gel pad)...I've ridden from Pa the florida....wth it....and Man I can tell you this...had I not bought the pad, I would have been caging in a small diesel. Gel pads rule.
    • 834 posts
    July 17, 2012 7:43 AM PDT
    Wasn't happy with a gel pad on top of my seat. Been told I need to get one embedded.
  • July 18, 2012 11:19 AM PDT
    My own personal experience, I gave away my gel pad and use only my AlaskanButt pad which is long nap sheep skin.No matter what season it stays on my bike, keeping my hide cool in the summer and nice in the winter.I like it without the gel pad underneath which some riders combine.The AlaskanButt pad has not worn out or need of anything after four years of extreme Texas weather year around riding.No monkey butt in the Texas heat ;-)