OK my packing list for Sturgis 2012!

• 2 posts
    June 18, 2012 8:07 AM PDT
    Went thru my tail bag & saw some things I forgot:
    * Pack a couple of the mesh bags that oranges come in -  If you have to wash sox or skivvies & hit the road before dry lash them to the outside of your gear - They will dry quickly on the road
    * There were also gangs & gangs of bags in the pack - Mostly of the "Zip Lock" variety but also drawstring variety.
      If you keep your stuff in small bags it is qucik to duff things in the AM + things stay dry & clean
    * I made a lot of purpose built straps to keep things exactly where I want them
      Get nylon webbing, snap buckles, 'D'-rings, etc here  http://www.cdwplus.com/index.html
    • 1855 posts
    June 18, 2012 8:15 AM PDT
    Well, since we don't camp anymore it's a nix on the sleeping bag, blankets, tent. Leathers, though warm, are bulky and I've found that this HD mesh/lined jacket along with the Harley Rain gear will keep ya warm.  Because the HD rain gear is really too hot to wear in a warm rain/hot weather due to their rubber-like liner we carry a set of Froggies (Frogg Toggs) http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Motorcycle.shtm. It's truly amazing how great they are in even the hardest rain.  Hauling 'em is no trouble at all. We simply tie the raingear pouches together and throw 'em (hang e'm) over the seat where they rest on the saddlebags.  The HD rain gear goes on top of the back pack under the cargo net along with a plastic tarp.  The OL and I each pack one pair of jeans, 3 shirts (2 short-sleeve, 1 long-sleeve), 3 under garments, a pair of soft shoes, maybe 1/2 dozen socks each. I have to carry my diabetic stuff and Gypsy her personal sundries which also includes what she packs for me. Helmets, gloves, bandanas, camera, batteries, smokes. 

Of course there's a few small tools but not much; certainly not like I would carry on my old shovelhead. 

This pic doesn't do our packing justice but it's an indicator of how light we travel.

I'm sure I've failed to mention a few things but we've pretty much got it down to a science of predictability; meaning the unpredictable will probably occur. 

Peace

• June 18, 2012 8:23 AM PDT
    FROGG TOGGS!!!!! I have 3 sets of them!!!!! Including the Autumn/Fall Forest ones!!!!!

Only thing is...all mine have a burn hole in lower right leg due to being blown against the pipes...lol...
    • 1855 posts
    June 18, 2012 8:28 AM PDT
    Jetman wrote...
    FROGG TOGGS!!!!! I have 3 sets of them!!!!! Including the Autumn/Fall Forest ones!!!!!

Only thing is...all mine have a burn hole in lower right leg due to being blown against the pipes...lol...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part.   After the first time it happened I took the pants down to the local leather shop and had 'em sew on a piece of leather.  Just the right little patch for pipe burn.

Peace
  • June 18, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
    I am way too cheap to pay for hotels when I can ride all night and find a nice spot to park and nap before morning rush hours. All I need is a park bench, shades and I fluently pretend to be watching birds or reading a book for an hour or two. If there is a nice park that does not look that I will be mugged the second I close my eyes, I might stretch out, cross my ankles, put my hands behind my neck and take a good ol nap before I get moving again

Yeps, I have no shame and my "comfort level" is "different". I am a little selective for my napping as I really do not have any desire to get arrested for taking a nap, but apart from that minor detail, I sleep pretty much anywhere. If I can hide my fat ass and my bike behind a ridge off main traffic somewhere, I will choose that over any campsite. If I have no other viable option but to camp on a site, I can make my rain poncho look like a tent for a night without too much trouble. Even so, I have no problem sleeping in nice hotels either, especially if someone else pays for it, heh.
  • June 18, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
    Jetman wrote...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part. After the first time it happened I took the pants down to the local leather shop and had 'em sew on a piece of leather. Just the right little patch for pipe burn.

Peace

SAME AS!!!!! I have some good patching leather left over from friends wrecks...lol...I just cut some out and GLUED it on...lol...works fine dont it?
  • June 18, 2012 9:15 AM PDT
    I stuff the right pant leg in for me travels! The rain gear I have has lots of cool vents and fits over everything I wear! Kept me warm on a snowy down going over Lookout Pass in Northern Idaho... had to use my clutch hand as a windshield wiper to maintain visibility!
  • June 18, 2012 9:28 AM PDT
    Hey Black thanx for the list of necessities to bring to Sturgis. I will be going for the first time this year with a group of friends. We will also be bringing a truck with motorcycle trailer if needed, plus we get to put all of our crap in the truck. No camping for me. I rented a large 4 bdrm house in Hill City (only 1 hour away from Sturgis). Take care and peace out.
  • June 18, 2012 9:58 AM PDT
    Only thing we are taking extra is coffee pot and coleman stove.....NOT doing without coffee!!! LOL. Be our first trip up there as well sooo stoked!!!!
    • 823 posts
    June 18, 2012 10:01 AM PDT
     My recent two week trip.  2800 miles with fishing and camping gear.  No 7-11's or store of any kind sometimes for 100 to 150 miles.  MRE's come in handy.
    • 3006 posts
    June 18, 2012 10:19 AM PDT
    Have a great time !! Looks like ya got all the bases covered.Last long trip I did on the bike was a 2 niter,took my g/f along n we packed light.Clothes on our back n some swimming trunks,a lot of stuff we never used.As long as your not in the boonies, best to travel light. It makes for a better ride overall.

stay safe n enjoy the ride
    • 2 posts
    June 18, 2012 10:43 AM PDT
    Guero 
    Att'a boy!. - Tidy packing on a tidy looking ride & doing the thing motorcycles were born to do. More than a tad envious.
    Tell me about your fishing gear. - I miss sissy bars, could lash a rod case & a rifle on them.
    • 823 posts
    June 18, 2012 11:53 AM PDT
     I carry a breakdown light rod with a ultralight spincast reel.  Also a penfishing flyrod and reel.  Fits in your shirt pocket.  It is very small and light.  Don't have much range but caught a couple of rainbows that were 12".  Hell of a fight!  Loads of fun.  On my rear rack I have a tackle box that doubles as First aid and tools etc.  Oh and I am an old beat up bull rider.  I carry a self inflatable bed roll and a BIG sleeping bag!
  • June 18, 2012 12:07 PM PDT
    Only thing I didn't see on all the replies was fuses.My bike will go through spells about twice a year of needing them.I 'm one of those who seems to get stung by bees while riding (they must think I'm sweet) anywhos I have made a mental note to throw a small bottle of meat tenderizer in my personal items for the quick fix prior to swelling.BTW, I bought an android tablet a couple of months ago just for the bike.I love the gps, maps, and wifi....I have yet to upgrade my phone to the 4G models.I carry the cheapos seeing as I 'm always dropping them in the midst of construction sites! RUBBER DOWN, and have fun!
    • 1 posts
    June 18, 2012 1:26 PM PDT
    anyone going to sturgis...I hang alot around the black parrot at the chip....during the day and at night when there's no band on...this year I'll be easy to spot...big black cowboy hat above an aussie drawl accent...bushy goatee...and bad attitude. oh and I'm fat and have trouble walking....bow legged with arthritis... I hope some come over and say g'day to me...
  • June 18, 2012 10:21 PM PDT
    We have found that we have a much better ride to Sturgis if we pack really light and get all of our camp gear at Walmart in Spearfish. We make the trip in 3 days from our house. We pack clothes for three days because we usually get several souvenir T-shirts when were there. We leave all of the camping gear with the owner of the Iron Horse campground and he sales what he wants and donates the rest to goodwill. Total cost of two sleeping bags and a tent with chairs is only about 100 bucks. Try it you might like the lighter ride especially if your riding as far as we are. Just a thought
  • June 19, 2012 3:15 AM PDT
    BlacktopGypsy wrote...
    Only thing I didn't see on all the replies was fuses.My bike will go through spells about twice a year of needing them.I 'm one of those who seems to get stung by bees while riding (they must think I'm sweet) anywhos I have made a mental note to throw a small bottle of meat tenderizer in my personal items for the quick fix prior to swelling.BTW, I bought an android tablet a couple of months ago just for the bike.I love the gps, maps, and wifi....I have yet to upgrade my phone to the 4G models.I carry the cheapos seeing as I 'm always dropping them in the midst of construction sites! RUBBER DOWN, and have fun!

Fuses are in the tool kit, but yes a great idear!

• June 19, 2012 3:16 AM PDT
    Guero wrote...
     I carry a breakdown light rod with a ultralight spincast reel.  Also a penfishing flyrod and reel.  Fits in your shirt pocket.  It is very small and light.  Don't have much range but caught a couple of rainbows that were 12".  Hell of a fight!  Loads of fun.  On my rear rack I have a tackle box that doubles as First aid and tools etc.  Oh and I am an old beat up bull rider.  I carry a self inflatable bed roll and a BIG sleeping bag!

G I love the picture of you and the kid fishin! That's awesome!

• June 19, 2012 3:17 AM PDT
    Jonesy1340 wrote...
    anyone going to sturgis...I hang alot around the black parrot at the chip....during the day and at night when there's no band on...this year I'll be easy to spot...big black cowboy hat above an aussie drawl accent...bushy goatee...and bad attitude. oh and I'm fat and have trouble walking....bow legged with arthritis... I hope some come over and say g'day to me...

I don't go to the Chip, I hate that place, over priced and crowded... no offense but I like the little campground I hold up at every time I go and it's dirt cheap but has it's own store, beer barn, shitters and LOTS of shade! :-)

• June 19, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    We have found that we have a much better ride to Sturgis if we pack really light and get all of our camp gear at Walmart in Spearfish. We make the trip in 3 days from our house. We pack clothes for three days because we usually get several souvenir T-shirts when were there. We leave all of the camping gear with the owner of the Iron Horse campground and he sales what he wants and donates the rest to goodwill. Total cost of two sleeping bags and a tent with chairs is only about 100 bucks. Try it you might like the lighter ride especially if your riding as far as we are. Just a thought

Yup us too... camp chairs are a must!

• 910 posts
    June 19, 2012 3:46 AM PDT
    oh and a little something extra for the cold nights (had a couple the year I was there). Hand warmers. Throw a couple in your sleeping bag before turning in. They keep you nice and toasty for about 8 hours.
    • 467 posts
    June 19, 2012 3:52 AM PDT
    I don't know about all campgrounds, because I only camp at Glencoe (lots of shade, grass, good showers, eateries, etc), but they have "Catered Camping". You can rent everything you need (tent, sleeping bags, chairs, etc) as well as a laundry service and UPS station for shipping things home. I also use those travel vacuum bags that you put everything in then roll the air out of to compress them. Then to further compress it I use nylon webbing straps. So packing light is really easy! I do suggest rain gear as we get at least one good rain every year!
  • June 19, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
    Oh yeah! Space Bags! I will use those too! Yeah the campground I stay at has UPS service and internet and the best part of it is, it's right off exit 30!
  • June 19, 2012 5:03 AM PDT
    I wanna ride to Sturgis...well more to the point I wanna ride to S Dakota!! I have found this thread MOST entertaining and educational SD is on my bucket list for next year (year after latest) Have a safe trip Black!!
  • June 19, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
    Better do it now, I hear tell the world is ending in December! LOL