Harley Riders Never Smile - So the rumor goes!

• May 30, 2012 9:01 AM PDT

So rumor has it that people that ride Harley's never smile while they are out and about on the cycle. Okay, tell me what you would think or say about me if you saw me grinning from ear to ear while riding my Harley?! Would you think or say that is one crazy B? Or would you say, man she really loves riding. If the truth be told, we are all smiling/grinning. You just can't see it, so people use your imagination. We are having a blast on that Harley....lol

• 9 posts
    May 30, 2012 9:36 AM PDT

You want to see a smile?  Well...wait til I get my bike. 
    That's a smile, I'll have til the day I...can't ride anymore!!!

RIDE FREE
    Tweek

Get the picture???

• 5420 posts
    May 30, 2012 9:43 AM PDT
    I don't know who ever said that, but I always smile when I'm out riding!

A few reasons riders may not smile...

• Don't want to ruin the tough guy image they just paid $20,000 to get
    • Haven't learned how to smile with out leaving a big enough opening for a bug to go straight to the back of their throat
    • They just left the dealer and had to mortgage the house to cover the 5,000 mile maintenance
    • Just found out their wife is leaving them - (or just found out their wife isn't leaving)
    • Some people just never smile - you know the ones that aren't happy unless they're mad about something

and the main reason people don't smile when riding....

• The ride is almost over and it's time to put the bike away!
      =   
  • May 30, 2012 9:49 AM PDT
    LOL @ Lucky, yeap those are some good reasons.

I hear ya Tweek, I have been smiling more since I got the new bike in July!
  • May 30, 2012 9:56 AM PDT

no way..........!!  I ride an Ultra Classic, and I am smiling all the time!!  That is an OLD tale from the days of the outlaw bikers!!

• May 30, 2012 10:05 AM PDT
    Yeah but Ron, I have been hearing it alot lately, mostly from Sport Bike riders. But I will say, that when there is a cop up ahead, its mostly the Sport Bike riders that are letting me know. They also wave more, and around here I seem to get alot of dirty looks from women. I don't get that either! But I just smile and wave, and figure they are having their monthly...LOL
  • May 30, 2012 10:59 AM PDT
    I smile like a crazy bastard! I figure if you aint smiling when you're riding you might as well stay home and not ruin it for the rest of us!
  • May 30, 2012 11:38 AM PDT

I thoroughly enjoy my riding...my face may be just as deep in thought as the rest of me is...but when you ride inside the M25 you have a tendency to snarl a lot more than smile...Everyone in London is trying to spoil your fun by either cutting you off or by not seeing you and trying to kill you like that...

...I have huge smiles when they deliberately cut me off and then see their mirror bouncing in pieces down the road...wont do it again will they!!!!!

...I also have solid metal bar ends that stick out just a small bit, had a coach pull to block me from filtering one time...lol...he hadn't figured he had to stop at a red a hundred yards further on...he had a huge grin on his face when he did it...I bet it costs a lot of money to fix a small scratch 2" deep the whole length of the coach-well-I had no option other than lean the bike on the coach or I would have been pushed into a line of cars, and they did nothing wrong, I found my way to the front of the line like that...lol...

"Welcome To My World"
    Aah London, there really is no place quite like it.....

Remember Kiddies ... Always Ride Defensively - Unless You Are In London!!!!!

• 0 posts
    May 30, 2012 12:05 PM PDT
    Love it Jetman!
    When I get my bike, I will be smilin' from ear to ear. And even after the bikes in the garage, I'll still be smilin'....If things go right, that just may be this (early) fall.
  • TNT
    May 30, 2012 1:01 PM PDT
    I smile everytime I fire the "Grape Ape" up. Even to ride it just around the block. But you are right Lucky got to learn to do it just right to keep the hardshells out.....lol
  • May 30, 2012 1:35 PM PDT
    I don't know if I smile all the time I'm riding but I know I smile every time I see a female rider. O.K., I'll admit it. I giggle a little too.
    Nothing hotter than a women on a Harley. On the back, riding solo, riding on the handle bars, what ever. I need a cold shower just from writing this.
    • 295 posts
    May 30, 2012 2:29 PM PDT
    Tend to make sure I'm smiling when it's pouring down rain, makes people think I'm crazy & they stay away from me.
  • May 30, 2012 2:41 PM PDT
     They say that you can always tell a happy motorcyclist by the bugs in his teeth. This may be why they are not smiling on the outside, but always on the inside or they just don't like bugs in their teeth.

• 658 posts
    May 30, 2012 3:20 PM PDT

I don't ride a Harley, but I try smile all time. I learned it makes people wonder what you're thinking!!

Medic

• May 30, 2012 4:19 PM PDT
    I guess peeps think the Harley riders maintain that macho tough look at all times. On my FZ under that full faced helmt I'm doing the Geico Pig impression, "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    • 658 posts
    May 30, 2012 4:45 PM PDT
    Amen Brother!!!!!
    • 19040 posts
    May 31, 2012 12:38 AM PDT

• May 31, 2012 1:38 AM PDT
    Well it is settled, Harley riders do smile, I was smiling from ear to ear yesterday on the ride home from work. But the damn June bugs are starting to come out and those things hurt like hell when they hit you....LOL And really I do not need the extra protein!
  • May 31, 2012 1:38 AM PDT
    Oh and Rex, I am stealing that picture...Love it!
  • May 31, 2012 2:07 AM PDT
    been told by a friend that knew me before my biking adventure, "You dont look like a biker, you smile way too much!!! " TOO BAD!! With my riiding, my smile has only gotten bigger!!! besides, do you know how hard it really is to frown and scowl all the time??? way too much work!!
    • 7 posts
    May 31, 2012 2:13 AM PDT
    My nickname is smiley...
    but I ride a Sportster...might not count ;-))
    • 5420 posts
    May 31, 2012 2:23 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

I need a t-shirt!!!
    • 5420 posts
    May 31, 2012 2:26 AM PDT

Well I guess we proved that rumor FALSE !!!

• May 31, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
    Yes we did Lucky...lol

@ Scott aka Smiley. You ride thats all that matters!

Okay riding into work this morning I paid attention to people on other brands, and you know what I did not see not one smile. So yes it does not also apply to Harley riders, cause the one that sticks out the most was riding a Gold Wing. And dudes those guys from my observations never smile! But I don't know why not, IMO they have such beautiful Cadillacs.
    • 823 posts
    June 4, 2012 5:59 AM PDT
    I'm smiling on the inside.................... I promise..........