Need Ecouragement

• March 3, 2012 2:20 AM PST
    Ok
  • March 3, 2012 2:39 AM PST
    I read your first,then your last only.
    Definitely need good solid footing,lots of different ways for that,lowering kits,seats,shoes,etc. Look at the least costly options first,go at it in small increments,(get your boots resoled,as opposed to 300 for some shorter shocks,stuff like that),then practice,big parking lots,small residential neighborhoods,back country roads.
    Next stop envisioning failure(really what other aspect of your life do you do that?((if it's your love life call me!!)),two wheels does not seem to be a place for the timid,things can go south pretty quickly,anyways keep the shiny side up.
  • March 3, 2012 3:50 AM PST
    Everyone drops every now and then. My last time I was trying to back out if a spray and wash and my foot slipped on the wet surface. Should have planned my exit better. Shoe soles do matter as well as experience. I went from a 750 triumph trident to a road king 300 lbs different. Took a little getting use to. Called my son and the neighbor a few times for help. Experience will help your planning and the riding anxiety level will turn into smiles. Hang in there.
  • March 3, 2012 3:55 AM PST
    Great pic.jetman
  • March 3, 2012 8:03 AM PST
    err, thanks, I take it you mean my profile picture...lol...yeah, I was upside down...lol...

I was flying one of the American Navy's finest.....A Harvard T-6 "Texan"...what they called the pilot maker...

I was in the middle of a loop at the time of this picture-or should I say-I was at the TOP of a loop...lol...such a nice plane to fly.....WW2 Warbirds Rock!!!
  • March 3, 2012 8:25 AM PST
    Glad you took the course! I've been where you are right now. Keep trying and as you gain confidence you WILL get past this. After taking the rider course I felt I wasn't ready for the highways and curvy roads yet, so I found a nice straight country road and drove back and forth again and again to gain confidence. It took me weeks to work up to 45 mph! I suggest finding a road like that so you can start slowing down for a stop sign as far ahead as you want, and practice softer and harder braking without the pressure of traffic and distractions around you. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • March 3, 2012 1:30 PM PST
    The history of the Sportster is simple... it was America's answer to the Euro road racers when they were introduced! Harley Davidson wanted to break into that demographic because they knew it was a cash cow. Sportster's were initially a road racing bike, high center of gravity, short wheelbase and a bigger motor than their competition.

My wife started out on a Suzuki nut thumper model and she really loved those Sportsters so...I got her one and she rides under some heavy supervision by myself... but she is getting the hang of it and I'm sure once her confidence issues clear up she'll be just fine...

Starting a Sporty is a huge jump for beginners.

Remember when 900CC motors were considered HUGE motors? Yeah, the Sportster has always had that! That's why it's still around!
  • March 5, 2012 2:50 AM PST
    Ladies,
    since you have taken the MSF, review the material learned, take yourself back to the range when the instructiors were talking about stoping. I have a very firm belief here that before you even start the bike up can your find the horm, trun signals, brake, clutch, shift gears apply rear brake, high beam/lowbeam without looking. This is about knowing your bike. If you are hitting the turnsignal when ya mean to hit the horm, that mean ya need more time to practice the where the controls are, if you have to look down to shift, then you need to sit in the driveway on the kickstand and runn the gears. If every time you have to take your eyes off the road to find these basic items then its time to just sit in the driveway and get familiar, I am dead serious here. It will make all the difference. Honestly it should only take a few minutes to learn them too. From here your issue is stopping, so can you pull in the front brake, as you hit the rear brake without looking, good can you also pull in the clutch and down shift to 1st good, no one should ever sit in neutral, just keep pulling in the clutch and hold it in. if you can that's good. Now, are ya looking 10 seconds ahead, making aware of what's three seconds ahead of you just like driving a car or are you looking at the car infromt of you brake lights? If your only watching the car infront of you, you are doing target fix ation, very bad thing and it will cause you to have to do quick and sudden stops. So, pay attention to the car in fromt of ya and the three in fromt of them, so if you see one hit the brakes or slow down you can begin to take action then like deacclerate, maybe down shift if need be, see car two hit the brakes slow down more cause ya know the car right in fromt of you will stop as well, its just the way traffic is and flow. So if you are doing all of this correctly the next question is what is it about stoping? One Do Not Look Down, look down go down remember that from class? Remember to look several seconds in front well keep eyes up be looking at reason stopping but concentraing on where you want to stop while eyes are up, pull the frint brake back while appling rear brake think smooth, do both evenly, keep eyes up at seconds in front of you be it a blue truck or the pending yellow waiting to turn red, then pull in the clutch keeping eyes up, as you down shift to first. If you are looking straight a head not staring but looking straight ahead then you will not have the front tire at any slightly cocked angle there for not throwing the bike off balance. If you can't to any of this them it time to only be in your quite development, big parking lot whatever ya got anywhere out of traffic. and go and practice looking to the horizan, not down or to the gears, or that sale sign on the corner but the horizon. Practice this first slow, then with some speed them step it up 10mph once you've accoplished 10mphs perfect several times then go to 20, 30, 40, 50mph. If you still can't do this then it might be one of several things, One retake the course there is no shame, two the bike isn't right for you, three you are not doing it right, or 4 this is the most unpopular thing to say but I'm going to say it, some folks just aren't ment to ride, its not for everyone and not everyone should be doing it. I'm not trying to be mean, this is about life, your life, the life of the person that you run into, your family and friends. A sportster has sport in it, which means sporty bike like a sports car, you wouldn't buy a corvette for a 16 year old as a first car, then why would you buy a corvette for yourself as first bike? So if you still have the import, go back to it, and ride around I suggest atleast 10,000 miles or so ride in rain, gravel, grass, grated bridges, mountain passes, flats, roads with some sand in them dirt roads, heat cold every contition that our beloved Mother Nature can through at you first to see if you can handle it with that volo, before ya even think about taking the "vette" around the corner. See I told y'all you wouldn't like what I had to say. But folks this is your life, spin the wheel and take a chance, you might come home or not. However, its better to have the odds in your favor then in mayhems favor don't ya think? When you've practiced more than you think you can ever practice its time to practice some more. I've been ridding since 87, and I've had my share of shit happen, but I can tell you I think I dropped my bikes throught out the years a total of 5 times, , I've owened each bike for years and had anywhere from 75,000 to 140,00 miles on them, so I knew when exactly how the bike was going to react each time, this I learned with time, the guys that have been riding their bikes can tell ya that, each bike is different as each rider is different, and change is constant but how both respoind in certian conditions are the same. When we drop a bike its rider error not bike error, so the rider needs to know what they are doing wrong so they can correct the wrong practice practice and more practice if ya gotta repeat the course reapeat it as a reminder, if ya gotta stay on that 650 for 10 years that's cool too it will take you everywhere you want to go anyway so who cares, if its gotta be a Harley cause everyone else has one, then ya might have that sportster for the worng reasons. If you took the learn to ride with harley of course they're going to tell you harley is the one to have its what they sell. Its not what you ride its that your ride, it is about the ride not the shine nonsense that goes with it. But if your asking cause ya really want to ride you will do it, it takes drive, and sheer determination. I wish you all happy Practicing. have a great one! "T"
  • March 5, 2012 1:30 PM PST
    OH yeah I went to my book shelf and pulled down two books that are a real good review, one is Proficent Motorcycling a street survival guide for the motorcyclist by David L Hugh, and More Proficent Motorcycling by David L Hugh. He brakes many road conditions and situations down, and explains what the rider did wrong, how the bike is reacting, and why it reacting like it is, and what the Motorcyclist can to to correct bad habits, and how to look for those "dangerous" situations and conditions.
    However if your having a problems stopping you shouldn't be out on the roadways and by ways at all, practice then go and have a great time. have a great one "T"
  • March 5, 2012 1:55 PM PST
    Tumbles, I think you gave some straight and proficient answers. Your right on the money. I also hear where juliat is coming from. I'm a new solo rider, sometimes I have nervous moments, but with determination I will keep riding. I still ride alone, I'll continue to do so until I am comfortable myself. Its not so much me getting hurt, I knew the risks going in, I just want to make sure I don't cause anyone else a problem. Keep up the good advice, its truly appreciated. Too all the other ladies, have a good ride.
  • March 5, 2012 5:05 PM PST
    Yeah, I had the dropsies too. Thing is, you've dropped , embarrassment should be gone now. Hell, I'm so "good" at it. I'll drop mine in front of any body.......... No prob.
  • March 13, 2012 3:20 AM PDT
    Juliat, how be your stopping? have you been able to get out there and do some practicing? I have an idea and that is to video tape yourself while practicing and you might be able to figure out if the problem that you are having is mechanical or equipment, hope we were able to help if not try us again, after all we can only go by what your writing. have a great one! "T"
  • March 13, 2012 1:40 PM PDT
    I haven't been practicing because it's been raining here in TexasI think that's a great idea to tape myself to see what's going on. I can get my sis to do it when I'm practicing.

To give an update, I have an appointment at Harley on Saturday to get my bike 'fitted'. I hope that it really boost my confidence in stopping and basic handling. I keep thinking of the fun I had last summer with riding my group. It'll be great to be able to ride around town and not 'fear' the signals.

Thanks Tumbles for following up. I'll keep you guys updated.

J.
  • March 13, 2012 2:59 PM PDT
    modified by RaceAngel

Have a nice day
  • March 13, 2012 3:20 PM PDT
    Juliat - try taking the bike out to a parking lot and practicing like they teach in class.  Do your left turns, right turns, stops, quick stops (downshifting) and the figure 8's in the box.  You need to get the feel of the bike again.  Then do a short ride out in the country without much traffic with one other rider.  I also have a 1200 Custom sportster and think that they are a bit top heavy on the front end.  After 2 years on the same bike I still wobble sometimes on hard  right  turns.  Why?  because I am right handed and my brain does not like to relinquish "control" to the left hand.
  • March 14, 2012 3:21 PM PDT
    RaceAngel I hope I missunderstand what you were saying here, but while the bike is in motion feet on the pegs, the Fred Flintsone, or skier action in slow moving traffic is not a good riding habit at all it doesn't help keep one balanced, it can add to imbalace feeling. I believe its one of the first lessons of the MSF, Feet up, Feet up Feet up! I can remember them yelling that in the Learn to Ride as well as the ERC. The only time feet are off the pegs/floorboard is when the bike is stopped or it being backed up other than that feet up, Just because thousands of rider are seen doing it don't make it the right thing to do. I do hope I totally missunderstood that post really I do. have a great one! "T"
  • March 14, 2012 3:23 PM PDT
    Juliat good for you, ya got the bike and your going to work with what you got. Hope that you issues are due to inproper fit of things. have a great one! "T"
  • March 15, 2012 4:54 AM PDT
    I didn't say "skier action" I think I was refering to the timing of putting your goot down at stops.
  • March 15, 2012 8:59 AM PDT
    ah I see like I said I hope I misstood glad I did. Have a great one "T"
    • 6 posts
    March 15, 2012 4:50 PM PDT
    i ride with my boyfriend right now.but eventually will be getting my own bike.im kinda scared ,but more excited to learn to ride and control my own motorcycle.i know i will love it.i know i will look pretty cute too.i will be taking the motorcycle class through the dept of motor vehicles to learn all about my bike and road saftey.can't wait-excited !!!!!!!
  • March 16, 2012 1:52 AM PDT
    well the best start is taking the MSF, pay attention to what they have to tell you, be sure ya practice the skills ya learned in class. Don't hit the road until you can effectively stop. I also found that a good mentor is a most helpful thing. I was lucky I had one that didn't share their fears with me instead would tell how to accomplish, what it might feel like, and that it seemed strange but it was ok. don't fall into it has to be a harley. The best first rides are userfriendly so I say go with an old honda, yamaha something like a 650 or 750, it will seem really big at first but you'll grow into it pretty quick, With every thing in life I believe in the KISS method have a great one! "T"
  • March 17, 2012 7:22 PM PDT
    Tumbles! Ya have great advice.

I also encourage any of the ladies to go for it, but make yourself comfy. DO NOT LET SOMEONE ELSE PICK OUT YOUR BIKE.

It needs to be YOUR bike not what they think is good for you!

I've seen several gals get shanghaid (sp?) by their man saying this is what ya gotta get. It's all about shopping for yourself!! Then take your significant other & say THIS is what I want.

Go shopping, Go sit on every bike ya can & find the one you are comfy on.

Cruiser wise I loved my VStar 650 but others like more sporty bikes or dual sports. Bottom line is get one YOU are comfortable on.

I'm sure others will vouch for me, but you'll know it when ya sit on a bike, you'll know what ya want.

• March 19, 2012 1:50 AM PDT
    Definitely FishWitch, that is a lesson I learned the hard way. I let that sales guy talk me into getting that big ole bike and it's made this journey a lot harder than it should have been.

Well, I drove my bike into the shop on Saturday. I went early to beat any traffic on the Hwy 75 in North Texas. It was so great to get out on the road again. I was very lucky with the traffic lights, I guess because it was early

It's going to take them a couple of weeks because I opted for some custom things like smaller hand grips for my tiny hands, etc. Now, I'm so excited and can't wait to get the bike back to see the difference.

They let me sit on a Sportster and put these elevated step things under my feet to see what it would be like when the bike is lowered. It's going to be only 1 inch, but it made a huge difference.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

J.
  • March 19, 2012 2:25 AM PDT
    I hope it works well for ya, we can spent tons of money to try and make something "fit" and well we could have choosen something completely different that wouldn't have needed any extras. have a great one! "T"
    • 1 posts
    March 19, 2012 9:30 AM PDT
    Cool Juliat, I'll bet you can't wait to get it back. I hate when my bike is down or unavailable :-(

But I am sure it will be worth the wait and feel like YOUR bike when you get it back. Be sure to take some time to get used to it because it will handle slightly different after it is lowered, but not that much if you only went down an inch. Hell if I got on it it would probably drop more than that :-) Kind of a joke at my shop - when a customer asks me the least expensive way to lower a bike, I say "take me with you and it will lower your bike a couple inches for the price of a few beers" :-)