To Lean or Not to Lean,A Question From the Back Seat.

• 19037 posts
    January 31, 2012 5:21 AM PST
    Well Darla, honestly I am amazed. It absolutely surprises me that the passenger would be doing that. As the "throttle master" (love that feistyredhead) I must be in total control of the bike (been told I have control issues - ha). Definitely an eye opening topic.
  • January 31, 2012 5:39 AM PST
    .@ Rex..and that was the point of the post. To make the rider think and not assume, in addition to making sure that my thoughts on the topic were accurate.
  • January 31, 2012 6:32 AM PST
    I have a question why in the hell would a passenger think it their job to correct the lean of the bike? There job is to sit, look and keep shoulders in line with drivers shoulders like riding a horse. Any movement the passenger does can be felt by the driver and the driver aIdjusts. Darla Open up MSF guide or something and see what that has to say. I'm pretty sure it doesn't say sit there lean back on the sissy bar and act like a 120lbs of potatoes, or lean different direction of driver. I know its been awhile since I've read the guidelines, but I think it directs drivers give passengers instruction on what is expected of the passenger, sit on bike hold on to driver move with driver, get off bike live to go on another ride. I be interested in what is says really. have a great one! "T"
  • January 31, 2012 6:54 AM PST
    Well I would say if you sat back on the sissybar and you're not leaning either way you're going with the flow of the bike... but that's my theory and I like it! :-)
  • January 31, 2012 8:29 AM PST
    @ Tumbles. LMAO. I have no idea. I do remember many... Ehhhhummm ....Many years ago always hearing that the passenger lean with the rider, and being told to lean with my rider, but I was maybe 16... I think is is just an old thought that has never been put straight. I don't think there are too many women as passengers out there that are going to check and see what a safety guide says. I think it is up to the rider to discuss it with his passenger.

My videos and blogs do address this and this is why... So a new or novice rider has some concept of riding basics before she sits her ass on a bike...

@Black9 straight and centered is my advise, leaning against the backrest or not.
  • February 1, 2012 10:38 AM PST
    I was a passenger for 30 years before riding my own. So, my opinion is not based on what some manual says, but based on how I ride, no matter what position I am in on the bike.

A passenger is either holding on to the "throttle-master", or sitting back against the sissy bar. I can't think of another safe option.

If they are holding on, any movement their body makes is naturally in line with the body they are holding on to. The passenger isn't the one making the move, nor should they be making any moves to counter-balance the motion of the person they are holding on to.

If they are back against the sissy bar, they are a part of the bike. They should keep their shoulders square with the bike, even in turns.

A passenger should NEVER make an effort to lean to the side. It's not necessary. Now, leaning slightly forward when starting out from a dead stop, or leaning slightly back when coming to a stop are fine.

Oh...and once you are on the bike, KEEP YOUR FEET ON THE PEGS!! I once had a guy ride behind me and he kept putting his feet down. That wasn't bad when I was stopped, but when he picked up one heavy workboot at a time as I was slowly starting out...ohhhh, THAT was a surprise!

• February 1, 2012 11:56 AM PST
    @Fefe In complete agreement... Thanks for stopping in. Now hopefully we have that little issue ironed out and less experienced riders will know that their "help" is not needed.
  • February 1, 2012 12:21 PM PST
    Glad I've been doing it right most of my life anyway!!! Now becoming a "throttle master"Lmao (glad you all like the term!) thats a whole new world to me! I'll get there soon enough! Gettin off the porch cuz I'm gonna ride with the big dogs someday!!!!
  • February 1, 2012 12:32 PM PST
    I am with you girl... Looking for my own, Can't buy what I want.. so gonna have to settle for now. Tired of getting left behind. HUMPH!
    • 1 posts
    February 3, 2012 12:34 AM PST
    i love it...you screw it up and be prepared for an elbowing....
  • February 3, 2012 1:08 AM PST
    My girl rides herself now, but when she and other women have ridden with me, I mostly don't notice what they are doing as long as they're not shifting around. I had to break my son of that when he first started riding with me. He'd shift back and forth every time we hit a bump regardless of whether we were leaning or not.
    • 5420 posts
    February 3, 2012 2:01 AM PST
    I ride almost exclusively two-up - probably have over 250,000 miles with Laura on the back.

Like many said, I really prefer the passenger just stay neutral and straight in line with the bike.  If they do that they will automatically lean with the bike, the same as if I have my tall t-bag in the passenger seat when I do ride alone.

I don't want the passenger leaning with me.  When I lean to lean the bike into a turn, or to correct, I know how much effect it will have on the bike's lean - and I don't want an unknown variable thrown in there.  No matter who or what is on the back, if they/it stays in exactly the same position at all times it will only take one or two turns to know exactly how much I need to compensate for the weight in MY leaning.  I ride just perfect loaded like the picture below, and that t-bag don't do anything that I don't make the bike do.  When Laura is on the back, she knows to act just like that t-bag... except the t-bag doesn't tell me I'm going to fast!!!

• 58 posts
    February 3, 2012 2:11 AM PST
    Great topic! I'll have to check out the blog, etc. My wife of 30 years finally got on back behind me for the first time last spring. This is what I told her, my kids when they were smaller and started riding with me, and anyone else who rides with me for the first (or second) time. Hug me around the waist (don't just hold the sides of my jacket or vest) or sit back and enjoy the view, what ever you are comfortable with. If you need to stretch, let me know. Small movements front to rear are ok. Side to side movements of the head is ok. No body movement at all, pls. Understood? Good! Put your helmet on and let's have fun. And my wife lets me know if I am having too much fun....one hand goes up to rest momentarily on my shoulder.
  • February 3, 2012 4:58 AM PST
    It has been awesome seeing all of the comments on this topic. I am always looking down the road for those bumps and anticipating them, because some can not be avoided, like bridge or overpass transitions. I actually talked about this subject on one of my blogs. Passenger Safety 101.
  • February 3, 2012 6:00 AM PST
    The person up front has the throttle and brake controls and knows what he/she is going to do next. A person on back leaning impacts the motorcycle and makes it more difficult for the operater. I say sit back and enjoy the ride.
    There may be some exceptions when a couple have traveled together for many miles and she knows by instinct his next move, but that is probably rare.
    Don't lean! It's easier to control that bike and it's safer for both if you don't lean.
    • 1 posts
    February 3, 2012 1:12 PM PST
    the best invention for pillions was the sissy bar, put your back against it and go where the bike goes.....
  • February 3, 2012 2:07 PM PST
    Funny story, I have a friend that has this enormous Honda Gold Wing and his wife sits on the back with a little box with a clear cover were she puts her books when they travel... has a hole for hands and arms to access the box so she can flip through her books and magazines or do crosswords (as she put it). I think this is a fine example of someone who just allows the driver to do his thing whilst she sits back and enjoys the trip in her own way. *shrugs*
  • February 13, 2012 4:32 PM PST
    Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for all the great replies to this post. YOU RAWK~
    • 823 posts
    February 13, 2012 4:38 PM PST
    Y'all can decide whatever on your own bikes, but as far as my bike, you lean you walk or get your own bike.
  • February 14, 2012 1:59 AM PST
    Guero wrote...
    Y'all can decide whatever on your own bikes, but as far as my bike, you lean you walk or get your own bike.

Yup that's about it too!

• 834 posts
    January 3, 2013 6:24 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    I ride almost exclusively two-up - probably have over 250,000 miles with Laura on the back.

Like many said, I really prefer the passenger just stay neutral and straight in line with the bike.  If they do that they will automatically lean with the bike, the same as if I have my tall t-bag in the passenger seat when I do ride alone.

I don't want the passenger leaning with me.  When I lean to lean the bike into a turn, or to correct, I know how much effect it will have on the bike's lean - and I don't want an unknown variable thrown in there.  No matter who or what is on the back, if they/it stays in exactly the same position at all times it will only take one or two turns to know exactly how much I need to compensate for the weight in MY leaning.  I ride just perfect loaded like the picture below, and that t-bag don't do anything that I don't make the bike do.  When Laura is on the back, she knows to act just like that t-bag... except the t-bag doesn't tell me I'm going to fast!!!

Not sure why some people prefer their passenger to lean with them.  I agree that it is easy to ride a bike with stationary cargo on it, so it is just as easy to ride with a stationary passenger.  Just sit there and enjoy the ride... I'll control the bike!
  • January 4, 2013 11:10 AM PST
    /|\\
    |
    ;|;
    buy a trailer