Share Your Riding and Safety Tips

• November 23, 2011 9:56 AM PST
    I have been riding for a pretty long time and I've racked up a few miles in that time. I've learned some things to do and not to do, the hard way. Biker friends and acquaintances have shared info that has saved me some grief. With all the combined riding experience of the people on this sight I thought it would be interesting to see what kinds of tips would come up. New riders might learn something useful and old riders like myself might learn a new trick or two as well. I've got a bunch of em but I'll just share a couple to kick things off. A long time ago I learned to pay attention to where I'm gonna put my foot when I come to a stop. Those plastic things a six pack come in can be slippery on pavement especially when it's wet. The painted lines on roads and parking lots can be slick when wet. Asphalt in general will be very slick after a rain, especially if it hasn't rained for a while. I have put my foot on a round rock before and had my foot roll out from under me.
    Ride on, JypsyJim
    • 2 posts
    November 23, 2011 10:19 AM PST
    Yup, good ones.
    Not big safety issues but:
    1. My current set of roping boots so reliable around yard & farm have zip traction unless firmly planted & no longer wear them riding. - Get new boots - check the traction on a ride to the mall not to the outer limits
    2. My old man who did his riding back in the early 20th century always told me wet leaves were treacherous. Haven't had a problem w/ them yet but then again am always careful when riding thru them.
    3. Not at all a safety issue, more of a P.I.T.A. issue. - If your ride has a smallish foot on the stand tuck a piece of scrap plywood in your riding jacket. - Once rode to a wonderful place way up a dirt road & could not get off the scooter, kickstand kept sinking in the dirt. Had to ride back out w/o seeing much anything.
    • 58 posts
    November 23, 2011 12:11 PM PST
    This is probably the biggest thing I stressed when teaching my kids to ride: yur head is the largest/heavyest single part of ur body. Where you look is where u go. Keep ur head and eyes up. On curves/turns look to the exit and beyond. Use ur peripheral vision for the close hazards u identified earlier.
    • 58 posts
    November 23, 2011 12:15 PM PST
    Btw, ive been eiding some 30good odd years and am former MSF instructor
    • 1855 posts
    November 23, 2011 2:38 PM PST
    I can spot a newbie (or an idiot) on a motorcycle most of the time. One common theme is a solo rider positioning himself on the right side of his lane. If a cage is behind him he is practically invisible to any vehicle behind the cage; since most cagers ride a biker's ass.. And if the one cage passes the other the solo rider can find himself in a world of hurt. Of course lane positioning is covered in safety classes and that's one reason I firmly believe in safety classes.
    The single most important thing about lane positioning, whether it's a four lane, two lane, or whatever is making yourself visible to others.

Another thing is glancing in your rearview and allowing yourself an escape route at a red light or a stop sign. You should be able to get out of the way of someone coming up behind you. Don't sit at the red light in "neutral"; a habit many of my friends do just to relax. You need to be able to move and move quickly. I'm of the opinion that you can just never not stay focused on a motorcycle. I lost two dear friends years ago who were sitting at a stop sign and just didn't see the asshole coming up behind them.

There are some things that are going to be unavoidable and we're lucky if we indeed make it through without a scratch. And we'll always wonder if there was something more we could've done to protect ourselves. Riding is the best thing in the world IMHO, but we have to be continuously focused.

Gosh, there are so many things I've seen and learned in my 46 years "in the wind". It would be impossible to list 'em all. Ride safe all.

Peace
    • 19049 posts
    November 23, 2011 10:32 PM PST
    All good points. My mantra DEFENSE--DEFENSE--DEFENSE. Assume the cage or animal will do the absolute worst thing for you and prepare for it.
    • 1855 posts
    November 24, 2011 12:23 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    All good points. My mantra DEFENSE--DEFENSE--DEFENSE. Assume the cage or animal will do the absolute worst thing for you and prepare for it.

Right!!!  I like to ride "aggressively defensive"!!!

Peace
  • November 24, 2011 1:34 AM PST
    That's what I'm talkin about! This is all great stuff. Thanks to all so far for sharing. Ride on
    • 5420 posts
    November 24, 2011 2:15 AM PST
    The most common type of motorcycle vs car is when a car turns left in front of an oncoming motorcycle.

Always make sure you look in the oncoming lane for cars making left turns across your lanes of traffic and assume they do NOT see you. Have a plan to avoid the accident.

I actully just saw a show on this the other night (think it was Discovery Channel) and they proved that people do not see what they are not looking for, even if it's right in front of them. Most drivers are looking for cars/trucks and do not even see motorcycles!
    • 5420 posts
    November 24, 2011 2:30 AM PST
    One of the most important things I learned from the advanced rider safety courses I have taken is to see S.E.E.

Search - Evaluate - Execute

Basically it means to always look for what could be a potential danger, evaluate the situation and come up with a plan, and then be prepared to execute the plan.

Sure there are many accidents that just can't be avoided, but there are also a whole lot that could be if the rider would just have been expecting the problem, or at least recognized a situation that could become a problem and had a plan if it did happen.
    • 5420 posts
    November 24, 2011 2:49 AM PST
    And one more tip... Take a motorcycle safety course!

If your a new rider you should take a basic motorcycle safety, and for you experienced riders take an advanced rider safety course and it's not a bad idea to take the advanced course every few years.

I have been riding now for 37 years with probably close to a million miles on two wheels and I still take the advanced rider safety course every few years.

It does a few things...

The classroom portion reminds me of things to look for out there. Not that I don't know what to look for but it keeps them fresh in my mind. The videos they show just hits home with how a very innocent looking situation can turn into something real bad real quick, and it just sticks with me when I ride.

Most important though is the on-bike stuff you do. They show you some evasive maneuvers that you get to practice in a controlled situation that you would never practice on the street... and learning them from "experience" could be deadly if your first try is not successful.

So grab a friend or two and spend a Saturday weaving you bike through the obstacle course and locking up the brakes and have some fun while getting some valuable experience
    • 2 posts
    November 24, 2011 5:13 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    The most common type of motorcycle vs car is when a car turns left in front of an oncoming motorcycle.

Always make sure you look in the oncoming lane for cars making left turns across your lanes of traffic and assume they do NOT see you. Have a plan to avoid the accident.

I actully just saw a show on this the other night (think it was Discovery Channel) and they proved that people do not see what they are not looking for, even if it's right in front of them. Most drivers are looking for cars/trucks and do not even see motorcycles!

To add to to the concept of cagers not "seeing" bikes. Never trust a driver's eyes. I've had many instances where a driver will look youstraight in the eye and still pull out in front of yoy. Wach their WHEELS. The wheels will tell you which direction they are going and if they're stopping or "rolling" through a stop. That being said, if you are moving don't fixate on their tire, just glance. The " you go where you look " rule still applies so, if you fixate, your bike will start to drift towards them. A quick look is usually all it takes and when in doubt, assume the vehicle is going to cut you off. 

• November 24, 2011 5:25 AM PST

The one that I learned the hard way is, you gots to know your limits. If you’re going to drink and drive, do it in moderation until you get home and then lay it on.

• November 24, 2011 7:43 AM PST
    I'm always scanning for escape routes when in traffic situations! There are so many things you can do to protect yourself and there are the unforeseen, but chance favors the prepared mind! Ride safe!
    • 1161 posts
    November 24, 2011 4:22 PM PST
    Ok now for the CDL holders can back me up here as well. People see what they want to see and dont see the Semi truck about to go past them and pull out in front of them. Now cut the size in to less then 1/4 of that size or less for a Big bike. Think about it they may not have seen that semi what makes you think they will see you? All ways have your head on a swivel and keep an exit stratidgy in your head, It may save your life.

As my father says, "Think of every one on the road out to get you." And also, " Be an Aggresive Defensive driver, and always look up the road not what is at the car now (Scan the road ahead)."
  • November 24, 2011 5:09 PM PST
    Have a game plan at all times and don't get emotional when other drivers cut you off or make other mistakes ( ignore the ignorant I would say), that might get you off of your plan. Stay focused.
    • 638 posts
    November 25, 2011 12:39 AM PST
    I just sold a buddy one of my bikes. He said he has always wanted a bike because it looked so "relaxing". I told him the first time he feels "relaxed" to sell the bike because he will be killed. ALWAYS watch out for the others that are not watching out for you
    • 3006 posts
    November 25, 2011 5:58 AM PST
    My .02 worths,
    Learned to never brake on a lawn or over leaves or oily spots,use your gears to slow down n be prepared for the rear to slide out.When passing a semi-truck or SUV give them plenty of space,and avoid drivers blind spots in general,and dont be afraid to move around in your lane,get used to the idea of evasive action and whats the best route outta trouble quicklike !!! Use common sense when saddling up,make sure the tires are inflated proper,everything secure,nothing loose hangin around,dont ask me how I know this..LOL..!!!
  • November 25, 2011 6:57 AM PST
    Ride like the other guy does see you and is trying to kill you
    • 2 posts
    November 26, 2011 12:06 PM PST
    RufCut wrote...
    This is probably the biggest thing I stressed when teaching my kids to ride: yur head is the largest/heavyest single part of ur body. Where you look is where u go. Keep ur head and eyes up. On curves/turns look to the exit and beyond. Use ur peripheral vision for the close hazards u identified earlier.

Good one - Been doing it so long forget to do it purposefully - Failed to do it today & damn near lost it - Gavel road ended sloping, steeply upwards @ the stop sign. - After stopping start making a right, being real careful w/ the throttle - too much & start to slide - too little & can't get up the grade. Just starting to move while making the right & turn head to left to check for traffic and almost went down
  • November 27, 2011 7:13 AM PST
    This is great advice so cool. I got most of my training being a motor cop for years. When we graduated the Harley Davidson riding school we were put with a training officer. Mine made me pratice close quarters slow manuvers. Dont let pride or ego get you hurt ride within your abilities. Last dont ride impaired #1 contributing factor in most fatal motorcyle crashes in my state
  • November 27, 2011 2:56 PM PST
    Visibility- Ride in the middle of the road, and plant your headlight in on-coming traffics face. I'm not going to be the one they didn't see coming. If your one of those guys that keep saying I almost got hit today, or someone tried to run me over, then you better re-think your strategy.
  • November 27, 2011 8:44 PM PST
    Ride within your abilities, too often new riders try to keep up with other riders who have years in the saddle. When you purchase a new bike make sure you ride alone for the first month or 500 miles or so, that way you can get the feel of it before you load it up with gear and your significant other.
  • November 27, 2011 11:35 PM PST
    I always say a quick prayer before I ride to protect, my family, the others around me and of course myself and the bike. Also, I try to not let my mind wander to other things. The other day I found myself chanting "they don't see me...they don't see me...they don't see me. Maybe I'm losing it but so far, so good!
  • November 28, 2011 4:30 AM PST
    things to think about before a ride: are you tired, hung over, pissed off, sick... best to let such things pass prior to riding.