Riding in the cold!

• November 15, 2011 7:06 AM PST
    A couple of weeks back I postedf about riding year round and it seems that a lot do.  So, and this is really for those in the colder climes of the country, but not limited to them, how do you dress when riding in the cold.  Down to 35 it's a l;eather jacket with liner, chaps, gauntlet gloves, boots with heavy socks and bandana around the lower part of my face with a wool cap.  Colder than that, Under Armour, ankle length leather coat, neoprene face mask, heavy lined gauntlet gluves, boots with battery operated socks and a wool cap.  That handle me down to the 20's.  Lower than that, somebody needs to shoot me!  LOL!

• November 15, 2011 7:30 AM PST
     ....this is how I ride in cold weather...

....Wires hanging down are to my Gerbing Jacket Liner .. 
    • 5420 posts
    November 15, 2011 8:19 AM PST
    Once it gets under 45 or so I go with long johns (shirt & pants), long sleeve shirt, leather jacket, chaps, wool socks, glove liners, winter gloves, and a ski mask.

• 467 posts
    November 15, 2011 10:17 AM PST
    My required extra gear for cold weather is--full face modular helmet, duofold long underwear, smart wool hunting weight socks, Carhart convertible parka (totally waterproof and warm & zips up to my chin), Cabela's hunting gloves with windproof liners and my trusty chaps that are in dire need of being retired...but I just can't seem to give them up yet! I've had them since I was 16!!
    I really like those gloves that I got from Cabela's cuz they kinda have smoothe exterior that allows you to chip the ice off your knuckles easily!
    • 16825 posts
    November 15, 2011 10:55 AM PST
    It's not so much the cold around here we only dress two ways, like we are ready for the beach or all bundled up, it's the "black ice" and a sneaky "lake effect" snow storm that will get ya.
    • 2 posts
    November 15, 2011 11:04 AM PST
    For me, it's as important to be carful about sweating as much as keeping warm.
    I used to dress only for the cold without much concern for sweating and that would quickly turn ugly. Anytime I had to get off the bike (bathroom, food,etc...) I would start sweating and that would become a big problem as it rendered my many layers useless real quick.

I now will dress with a layer of underarmor or silk first then add one to two layer of wool up top (the good kind not the itchy stuff. Good jeans, leather jacket , gauntlet gloves, ski mask and 3/4 helmet w/shield. That will do me well till about 35 degrees.

Colder then 35 I break out the tourmaster heated vest and gloves w/ a good pair of triple insulated carhart overalls over my jeans. I also usually switch to a full face helmet with neck protection if I will be traveling at sustained high speeds.

I actually recently moved to Phoenix and to be honest, I'm missing the cold riding ritual I have come accustomed to over the years. I,m planning a trip up to Flagstaff in late Dec. just so I can bust out the gear. LOL.
  • November 15, 2011 11:05 AM PST
    I love to ride all year long! rain? yes! but if it's a downpour not so much! cold wheather? Yes!! I just changed up my jacket, my old jacket is a motorcycle Police jacket and the zipper stops right at the base of my neck, I wear a bandana or a leather full face mask, now I have a new jacket with armor, and a full face modular and leather dickie. insulated jeans and chaps over them, nice insulated gloves, thick socks with my harley boots and not laced up tight! It keeps the blood flowing to the feet!! long sleve shirt! I'll post a pic later on!! if it get lower than 35 and no rain or snow!! thick socks and Carhearts!! I like cold wheather riding!!!
  • November 15, 2011 11:11 AM PST
    Under Armour? does this stuff really work alot better than the old fashioned thermals that I wear? Also how is it when it heats up?
    • 467 posts
    November 15, 2011 11:43 AM PST
    It is a personal opinion. I prefer my Duofold over my Under Armour--it just feels better against my skin than UA. But my sons all swear by the UA over Duofold.
    • 2 posts
    November 15, 2011 11:58 AM PST
    Wheels, traditional thermals are made from cotton. They will keep you warm but if you sweat even a little they will hold the moisture against your skin and that is very bad when you get cold again as the moisture makes it very difficult for your body to warm itself back up. Underarmor (and synthetics like it) is moisture wicking (it pulls the moisture away from your skin). Silk is better then Underarmor, but also more expensive. Wool is good to, but can be uncomfortable directly on your skin.

If you're only riding I guess it doesn't make much of a difference, but if you are going to get off the bike, you may start sweating.
    • 567 posts
    November 15, 2011 12:46 PM PST
    I know y'all ain't gonna believe this but it DOES get cold in Florida occasionally .. normally there's only about 5 cold days during our winter but last year we did have something like 28 days in a row of temps never higher than the 40s.
    Normally, I wear the same gear that everyone else does .. leathers, maybe some thermals underneath if its cold enough. But the one thing I'm STILL searching for is a good pair of gloves. I've got some gauntlets with the thinsulate liner that work for most days. But on the really cold days, I just can't seem to find a pair of gloves that keep the cold wind out. I'll try a pair on in the store and they'll feel like they'll do the job. But when you get them out on the open road, you can feel the cold seeping in around the seams or just right thru the material. And, when my hands get cold, it takes forever & 100 degrees to get them warmed up again.
    Maybe I'll try Cabela's online and see how that works.
    • 2 posts
    November 15, 2011 1:09 PM PST
    SolarBill, I'd suggest glove liners. Silk work best. They are cheap $10-$20 and they work surprisingly well.
  • November 15, 2011 1:38 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Once it gets under 45 or so I go with long johns (shirt & pants), long sleeve shirt, leather jacket, chaps, wool socks, glove liners, winter gloves, and a ski mask.

Scheese Lucky 45? thats t-shirt, chaps n leather vest for me....Thats why lots of my friends call me Ice Bear...

• 2 posts
    November 15, 2011 2:18 PM PST
    Can speak with some authority here - Save a 2 yr sojourn in CA lived all my life in colder climes - Ride from when the spring rains wash the salt off the roads till the highway department puts it back on them.

Avoid cotton - Wool, silk, nylon & other non-absorbent  fibers are better

Wear long johns & long sleeved undergarment - cotton really useless here - wool, silk or Underarmor

High, heavy, wool sox minimize the breeze blowing up pants

Neck gaiter makes life more comfortable. I wear 2, tucking one into the opening of the helmet 

I like my $29.95, fire-sale, slider jacket w/ zip out liner - Wear it all year save the hottest days & when riding to work.

A hooded, pullover, nylon windbreaker - the kind that stores in it own pocket - funnels the heat up, keeping the warmth in & ears warm - Easy to pull helmet over the hood - Weighs nothing & fits in tank bag or under seat

Gauntlet gloves a must, unless it is really cold then military type, gauntlet, shooters mitts

I like my Carhartt, insulated coveralls - easy on/off, warm, windproof, good for yard work but expensive ($100+) - If caught in a heavy rain wearing them they will probably absorb 25# of water, never dry & become life threatening but I still like them.

I have a pair of runners type, nylon wind pants w/ zippers @ the ankles that I sometimes wear over jeans. (Jeans really rot in the cold but we all wear them.) - The wind pants are hard to take on/off over shoes but weigh little & store in next to no space.

Sometimes wear my Xcountry gaiters - Keep ankles warm & breeze out of pants but major P.I.T.A. putting on
    • 19034 posts
    November 15, 2011 11:21 PM PST
    RandyJoe wrote...
    Lucky wrote...

Scheese Lucky 45? thats t-shirt, chaps n leather vest for me....Thats why lots of my friends call me Ice Bear...

Yeah Randy, that photo of Lucky and HDBeech was taken at 75 degrees ...HA

• 567 posts
    November 16, 2011 1:48 AM PST
    I did check out the Cabela gloves. But the reviews led me to believe that they wouldn't stop the wind .. or .. there was a bad review for certain ones of the gloves. Will check out silk glove liners next. Thanks StBobber.
    • 3006 posts
    November 16, 2011 2:57 AM PST
    Good post Troll !
    Usually I go with layers,depending on how cold it is n how far I have to go.Longer trips over 20 miles,with temps down in 30's -40's I wear columbia ski pants,with a couple of layers underneath.Laundry permitting
    On top a couple of shirts under my lite reversible ski jacket,which usually goes under a heavier leather jacket or my heavy ski coat.My hands I use ski glove liners and lite ski gloves,my heavy ski gloves I break out for those times when its hovering around freezing.Bulky yet I can still feel my fingers after even the worst cold riding.
    yeah I may not look all that fashionable,yet I usually arrive nice n warmas for sweating, I have bags so its easy to shed a layer if I get too warm.
  • November 16, 2011 5:43 AM PST
    WOW! Great replies. I'll have to try the glove liner thing. I have some good gloves but hey are bulky and a little difficult on the fingers. As for the Underarmour, I swear by that shit!
    • 1780 posts
    November 16, 2011 6:02 AM PST
    Under Armor, Glove liners (used for snow sking) velvet Jock strap, leather .......plenty of leather.
    • 0 posts
    November 16, 2011 6:14 AM PST
    Jeans and a t-shirt, Winter socks and boots, then a 1 piece suit and a full face helmet. Warm and dry down to the teens.

I use this suit and it really works well.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/42/36/ITEM/Firstgear-Thermo-One-Piece-Suit.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_36&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=36