Dreaming of a new (used) Bike

• 7 posts
    November 9, 2011 2:33 AM PST
    I'm dreaming of a upgrade.

Leaning toward Harley and away from the 'sports bikes' but money IS an object. I was surprised recently when a 'biker type' whose opinion I respect suggested the Sportster 1200. I though 'biker types' universally looked down on the Sportster. Anyone care to share their thoughts on a next bike?

I'm a relatively small guy and not likely to consider bikes in (or near) the 1000 lb range.

Advice - or randome thoughts - appreciated :-)
    • 5420 posts
    November 9, 2011 3:11 AM PST
    Actually I know lots of guys that ride Sportsters, nothing wrong with them at all.

Do not let the size of the other Harleys fool you. I am not a very big guy and ride a Road Kind with no problem. As long as you can lift it of the stand, comfortably put you feet down and easily roll the bike backwards wile on it, it should be no problem. Once they are movign they are no harder to ride than the smaller models.

If yo are looking for a lighter bike then the Sporty is a good choice, or you may look at the Dynas.

If you have the opportunity to do a test ride, that is the best way to know if the bike feels right for you. Check with your local dealer(s) and see if they do test rides, or if they have a Demo Days event coming up.
    • 19049 posts
    November 9, 2011 7:23 AM PST
    Not really looked down on by anyone who really rides. Sporties are great bikes, and I absolutely agree with everything Lucky said!
  • November 9, 2011 9:02 AM PST
    i rode a 2001 1200 sportster for 3 years, loved that bike.it was my first harley,only issue was it was too small for me and wife to ride together.not real comfortable when carying a passenger.
  • November 9, 2011 10:12 AM PST
    Sportsters are excellent bikes no matter what anyone says! They're not as big or bulky and the 1200 can flat smoke a new stock 103! If you're a small guy and you don't really want to spend a lot you could do a LOT worse than a Sportster, I've owned 3 of them and I loved them all!
  • November 9, 2011 10:25 AM PST
    I have a 1200 sporster , had it lowered as i am short , it is a great bike, my son who always said he didn't like sportsters took it for a ride , he said it was a quick bike, would smoke my husband dyna , now that he has rode one he likes it.
  • November 9, 2011 10:36 AM PST
    dollysgizmo wrote...
    I have a 1200 sporster , had it lowered as i am short , it is a great bike, my son who always said he didn't like sportsters took it for a ride , he said it was a quick bike, would smoke my husband dyna , now that he has rode one he likes it.

Great bikes, Sportsters have been around since 1957 and before that they were introduced as the K model in 52/53. Just an all around great bike.

• 2 posts
    November 9, 2011 11:54 AM PST
    It's a MOTORCYCLE, you know, something pretty quick, kind'a nimble around the corners, that lets you access the internals w/o spending 1/2 the day removing stuff

Promise us you wont put highway pegs on it.
    • 567 posts
    November 9, 2011 2:07 PM PST
    Any bike that fits YOU is a good bike. It doesn't matter if its a Harley or a metric or whatever. As long as you enjoy your ride, that's what counts.
    I've ridden a Sporty but I actually like the 883. It was a better fit for me. And, if the seat height is a problem, then take a look at Honda's 750 Shadow series.
    But either way, check out all the area dealers and take any demo ride that you can. You might be surprised at which bike ends up becoming your choice.
    • 7 posts
    November 10, 2011 1:53 AM PST
    @Lucky: Thanks! Appreciate the thoughts.

Re: Dyna/Sportster
    Another biker friend has almost talked me into looking toward the Dyna, but that's what he rides :-)) He thinks the Sportster's vibrate too much - even with the new rubber mounted engines, especially on LONG rides. The Dynas are a big price jump though.

Re: Big Bikes
    I'm definitely intimidated by the BIG bikes. Keep thinking how the !@#$ would I pick it up if I somehow found myself on the ground.

Re: Sporty/Other
    Again, not fond of the sports bikes - but the price is good.
    Also, I saw a Honda Rebel (sportster clone?) and I liked the look but I'm looking for more motor.

Re: Test Ride
    Good advice. A local dealer I've been stalking :-) would probably set me up. In fact I'd probably end up buying from this guy as his used bikes are routinely priced below the local market.

Again. Thanks!!

• 7 posts
    November 10, 2011 1:54 AM PST
    @RexTheRoadDog: Thanks Rex!!
    • 7 posts
    November 10, 2011 1:57 AM PST
    cal22 wrote... too small for me and wife to ride together.not real comfortable when carying a passenger.

Good to know. Wife claims she'd ride with me (and she did WAY BACK when we were dating). I was leanding toward the 1200 sportster for the extra oomph to carry a passenger. So, I'll have to ensure I check on this.

Thanks!!

• 7 posts
    November 10, 2011 2:01 AM PST
    ... gotta run to work. Will digest the other replies tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. GREAT tips!!! Much appreciated.
    • 846 posts
    November 10, 2011 2:07 AM PST
    Sportester are the most under rate bike there is. There is nothing wrong with them. I have a 35 year old one in my garge and I love taking that bike out for spin now and then. They're a quick fast bike and even the older ones are still a great ride.
    What ever bike feels right to you is the one for you. I would go with the recommendation of test riding any of them if you can get a chance. Check for the nearest Demo day event near you, Don't let anyone (including us) talk you into anything you don't feel comfortable with it's your ride and that's the important part.
  • November 10, 2011 2:14 AM PST
    Nothing wrong with a Sportster...I'm on my third one, though I may soon upgrade to a larger cruiser....I will not sell or trade the Sporty.
  • November 10, 2011 2:16 AM PST
    Scott, don't worry what others think, the important thing is that you ride. Get a bike that you are comfortable riding and can comfortably afford. I have no problems riding with friends that metric bikes to include sport bikes, many of which laughed at me for riding a bagger. Ride your ride and enjoy!
    • 16840 posts
    November 10, 2011 3:20 AM PST
    I have a love / hate relationship with the old "Ironhead" Sportys.
    Like the Joan Jett song "I hate myself for loving you". :-)
    As a matter of fact I'm building another one now.
    If you want to see "Biker Types" riding and building Sportsters check out this magazine http://www.ironcross.net/
  • November 10, 2011 4:12 AM PST
    My first Harley was a Sportster, an 83 XLX I could kick myself every time I remind myself what I traded it for... the newer Evo 883 Hugger BLEGH... yeah my Ironhead was onery and sometimes decided when she would run or not but anytime I threatened to trade her in for a Honda she fired right up!:-)
    • 846 posts
    November 10, 2011 4:30 AM PST
    What is it that make those old Ironheads so lovable. I think of it and I just can part with it. Yes, threating of any kind would make them run better.
  • November 10, 2011 4:45 AM PST
    But when they run they would light your hair on fire!:-)
    • 7 posts
    November 11, 2011 1:36 AM PST
    Everyone here is so GREAT! Can't thank you enough (or each personally) for all the great advice!!

I'd probably go with a Dyna (possibly a Victory) if money were no object. However, money IS an object and I've ALWAYS wanted a Sportster. Plus, the following chance encounter really pushed me over to the Sportster:

By happenstance, I saw a little Sportster parked with lights on, key in the ignition. I walked into the store, found the guy with the bike helmet and told him. After he sprinted out and back, we had a wonderful converstation about the bike. His unbridled enthusiasm was simply contagious and I realized that a sportster is simply something I gotta have (and, it does not preclude something else later).

Thanks again everyone - my next bike MUST BE a Sportster. I can still do something else down the road if finances allow.
  • November 11, 2011 1:46 AM PST
    Always something down the road for sure, I am always amazed by all the bikes I've owned over the years and I'm sure the Switchback aint gonna be the last. My next bike will be a project bike, I want to put together an FXR basket case if I can find one. Still my that bike and if I can re-create it I will!:-)

Enjoy that Sportster Scott, I know you will!
    • 7 posts
    November 12, 2011 3:27 AM PST
    @Black9: I hear that :-)

Way back when (I was single w/o a care) I went through a phase where I'd pick up other peoples (preceived) junk bikes, patch 'em back together and ride 'em until the next deal materialized. Honestly can't remember every make/model of bike I've owned :-)) I do remember fondly my old CB though :-))

Good luck with your FXR project... I'm tearing down my CB to rebuild/refurbish it over the winter :-)) Just gotta clean up the garage :-/
  • November 13, 2011 2:28 AM PST

If your on a tight budget, as most of us are now days, and you want to go fast, test ride the new Sportsters at the

H-D dealership, There are a couple really nice models out lately. If you can’t spend that much you should look into

an older sportster. There are many on EBAY for les than $3,000. that are in great shape. It does take someone you trust that knows what to look for to get a great deal but it would be worth it to you. The reason sportsters are not the first choice of many does not have to do with reliability or speed, but more of the person’s size and the size of the load when packing. Your friend that recommended a sporty for you is a great example that sportsters are not looked down upon or he would have never told you to get one, and as you said he is a "biker type". Taller and larger people usually feel uncomfortable and cramped on the smaller sporty. However you being small gives you the advantage that larger riders don’t have because when it comes to speed and keeping up with the rest of the pack you will have no problem.

The reason sportsters were used as dragsters in the earlier years is because a sporty can be built to go faster than a big twin for half the price in parts. They are lighter and the engine has a short stroke, which means it can turn higher RPM's without exploding all over its rider. More RPM's means more horsepower. Combine this with your lower total weight and you can lead the pack if you choose to, and for a lot less money than the bigger bikes. I can guarantee when you get to the bar, no one will give you any c@#p about being on a sportster. How could they when they are buying the first round?

• 7 posts
    November 14, 2011 1:47 AM PST
    @PrimalLeathers: Well said. Thanks!!